PDA

View Full Version : Medela PISA motor sounds "sluggish" WTD?

sbolen
09-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi All
I have a Medela PISA in the Metro Bag that I used for a littlle over a year with DD1. I worked full time so it was used a good bit.

Anyway, towards the end of using it, the pump itself started to sound slower and like it was working harder or something.

Now that DD2 will be here in a few weeks, I'm realizing that maybe I should do something about it. Is there any sort of maintenance I should do on my pump? I emailed Medela and they never emailed me back!

I really don't want to have to buy a new pump, but I do need to make sure I have something efficient for returning to work and getting my freezer stash started!

TIA!

Sally's Red Meadow
09-18-2009, 08:32 AM
I would recommend calling their 1-800-435-8316 number. Medela Customer Service representatives are available Monday-Friday 7:30 am - 8:00 pm CST and Saturday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm at 1-800-435-8316.

I would try to tell you how to clean it but I can't remember. My DH does that part now.

I called when mine was making a funny noise. They walked me one step at a time thru the cleaning process. You will need either q-tips or cotton balls, rubbing alcohol, and maybe a lint free wipe (like the ones used to clean eye glasses).
PS Be prepared, they may ask you to use the pump so they can listen to it. The first time I called, my baby was taking a nap in the room with the pump and I politely had to say I would call back later.

sbolen
09-18-2009, 11:17 AM
I would recommend calling their 1-800-435-8316 number. Medela Customer Service representatives are available Monday-Friday 7:30 am - 8:00 pm CST and Saturday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm at 1-800-435-8316.

I would try to tell you how to clean it but I can't remember. My DH does that part now.

I called when mine was making a funny noise. They walked me one step at a time thru the cleaning process. You will need either q-tips or cotton balls, rubbing alcohol, and maybe a lint free wipe (like the ones used to clean eye glasses).
PS Be prepared, they may ask you to use the pump so they can listen to it. The first time I called, my baby was taking a nap in the room with the pump and I politely had to say I would call back later.

Oh awesome!
Thank you sooo much! I really don't want to have to buy a new pump!
Will I actually have to *use* it or just turn it on? I'm 34 weeks pregnant so I don't think it'd be a good idea to try pumping :giggle:

I'll give them a call tonight!

Sally's Red Meadow
09-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Oh awesome!
Thank you sooo much! I really don't want to have to buy a new pump!
Will I actually have to *use* it or just turn it on? I'm 34 weeks pregnant so I don't think it'd be a good idea to try pumping :giggle:

I'll give them a call tonight!

They asked me to use mine. i think they just wanted to hear the motor when there was a suction in place. Perhaps you could place the horns on against your belly to create a suction for a few seconds (it was only about 10 seconds for me). I'm thinking that their reps will know what to do. I'm sure they have had pg moms call in before. There are a few pg moms whose nurse and pump. Surley one of them has called in.

Edit: I just remembered reading somewhere that the white membranes can also cause a loss of suction if not properly positioned or if damaged / warn. They cost less than $5.00 to replace in my part of the county. It might be worth a try if the cleaning thing does not work.