PDA

View Full Version : What CD "system" do you use?

daisyprincess98
10-08-2009, 02:11 PM
As moms of many, I assume you mamas use the most affordable "system" that works. :thumbsup: So, what do you use (pf's, covers, wool, AIOS, other?)? Have you tried anything else? Do you find different systems work better for different kids? Are there brands you would never dream of switching from? Do you save dipes for future kids?

daisyprincess98
10-08-2009, 06:55 PM
bump ~ anyone?

ArmyMommyTo3
10-08-2009, 08:47 PM
I use AIO and pockets for DS, mainly because he HATES to be changed. And mostly fitteds (I try to reuse covers as much as possible) for YDD, though she has some pockets as well. I really like FB pockets, the M will fit both kids even though DS is over 10lbs heavier than YDD. Hope that helps.

thirdtimemomma
10-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Personally I dont have twins but I have had two in diapers for most of my diapering days. :P And we have stuck with prefolds the most. Trifolded and layed in mostly. Though DH loves pockets so we have a stash of those, stuffed with prefolds of course. The reason? Ease of laundering. I can hack any type of manuvering to put on a diaper its the washing that always kills me! With 7 people creating laundry it *HAS* to work like a well oiled machine. So if I have to strip it could set me back for weeks! :giggle2:

cereal527
10-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Here is what I have in our stash right now:
prefolds
thirsties covers
prorap covers
wool soakers
fleece soakers
dream eze fitteds
dream eze aios
and a 3 fitteds from different wahms.
I tried bg one-size pockets and had stink issues both in the suedecloth and microfiber. Fuzzi bunz had the same microfiber issues, and they fit my kids weird. I tried kissaluvs fitteds, and thirsties fitteds, but they weren't absorbent enough. Tried goodmamas and just didn't like them.
I always go back for my prefolds though, despite trying so many different things. But, I love my dream-eze aio's. They are easy, fast, cotton, and trim, but super absorbent. I saved all the smalls I have to use with the next kiddo, and I've had my prefolds for 5 years since I bought them when our first ds was little. They are still going strong too!

HeatherlovesCDs
10-08-2009, 09:59 PM
I have had 3 in diapers at once and will have 4 in diapers come spring next year. I don't use the most affordable. I use all pockets, almost all FB's. But, even though pockets aren't the cheapest, they work best for us. And, I do save my diapers. I've used the same diapers on my twins that I did on my first, of course, I did have to add more. :giggle: So, many of my diapers have gone through 3 kids and are about to go through at least 2 more when my next set of twins comes in the spring. :thumbsup:

daisyprincess98
10-09-2009, 07:45 AM
awesome ladies! thanks for the input!

R055ANA
10-10-2009, 07:35 PM
April,

Congrats on the pregnancy.

I started using cloth dipes with my 4th DD. Before that we used disposables. To save the most amount of $ we got used prefolds from this website. I really didn't care to have new ones. I actually found it easier to get used prefolds so I didn't have to prep them.

We also do EC. I did EC with my 3rd DD also. There is actually a forum on DS about elimination communication (EC). EC does really save you money. Imagine catching one poop in the potty each day and that being one less diaper to change and have to wash.

Since my prefolds have not been used too much I do intend to sell them to someone else.

Best wishes,
Rossana

5280Mommy
10-10-2009, 09:32 PM
We use pockets. All are OS so I'm hoping that they last - recently I've made most of my purchases snap closure as they seem to launder better. The majority are HH or smartipants - though I have a few RMD's that work really well for one of the boys and a few FB that I love - they're just pricey new, and while I love buying from mommas here they have to be in near new condition since we use the heck out of them.

I have one BG - I HATE it - will go out of my way to not use it.

We started with prefolds as we weren't sure the whole CD thing would work for us...I'd love it if we could still use them but it was hard for our caregiver. I'm still considering some fitteds to use with the duo covers I still have, but I'm not sure.

We will sell everything when the boys are done as we aren't planning on having more kiddies...I wish I'd thought to cd with dd, but it wasn't even a consideration - all that money wasted!!

mommyz
10-10-2009, 09:37 PM
With our 22 month old son, we use pockets... all of his dipes are FBs with maybe three HHs... the BGs no longer fit him...

With our 10 week old, we use a combo... she has fitted and wool, prefolds and pockets. I use mostly the fitted, wool, and prefolds, while DH always reaches for the pockets. Her stash of pockets are mainly Hautes that use to be DS's and I saved them for her.

rachelserine
10-11-2009, 11:39 AM
I am about to have three under 1 and obviously all of them will be in dipes! We started with a combo of BumGenius one size, knickernappies, dream eze pockets, HH pockets and FB. Our 9 month old outgrew the rise in the BumGenius - he can still wear them ok, but in a few months that will be over for him. Otherwise we loved them. Hated the FB, the knickernappies always leaked for us, HH velcro was a bust but the dream-eze were okay. :)

All that being said... I sold most of his diapers, keeping about 6 (we had 20 some odd dipes) BG for night time and with that money bought the new diapers for the three of them and MADE money off of the deal.

The kids will be in flats and covers. Easiest things ever, wash up the best and are so fun to fold into different diapers to fit whatever situation you need! There are folds with 10 and 12 layers in the middle and super easy ways to fold for newborns too. We usually use the origami fold with a doubler - which I made by ripping old receiving blankets into four pieces and folding into four layers that fit perfectly in the diaper. We love our Thirsties duos the best - got them for $8 each on thirstiesoutlet.com We only need about 3 covers per kid cuz we'll be washing every night. We also love our wiggle worm bottoms covers - really cute and durable.

It surprises me how few people with many kids use flats/covers. The possibilities and convenience are endless! And the price - my friend paid over $800 to diaper in FB's for ONE kid and I've got all three covered for about $200.

BTW, love prefolds too, they are just approx twice the price of flats. :)

mamatoblessings
10-11-2009, 02:00 PM
I ditto the flats! I love mine, they are so easy to customize to fit and will work from birth to pl'd. I have about 2 dozen flats, plus about 2 dozen recieving blankets and prefolds that I fold fold for doublers. I use wool covers though, no PUL. I just had to learn to knit to afford the wool! :giggle:

cereal527
10-11-2009, 07:47 PM
BTW, love prefolds too, they are just approx twice the price of flats. :)

How much were your flats? My prefolds were only $1.00, so I thought I was doing really good with that price. :giggle:

ServingHim
10-12-2009, 12:04 PM
I have only been doing cloth for about 8 or 9 months. I have tried pockets, AIO's, prefolds, and all types of covers. I have learned that prefolds work best for us! Once you get the hang of them they are just as easy to use as any other diaper. I have also learned that natural fibers come clean much easier than the synthetic. I am now going to be switching to wool soakers for this reason and getting rid of all my PUL covers!
But of all the PUL covers the proraps are my fav. They fit well and are reasonably priced! I also like the bummis whisper pants.

I will have 2 in cloth by mid-winter and have already ordered my newborn stash of prefolds!

MaxCapacity
10-12-2009, 02:09 PM
We use pockets, all Max Capacity pockets during the day & OS Blueberry Minky pockets (double-stuffed) at night. Then we use wool for the "cute" factor...A LOT! It simplifies things for babysitters & dh. :)

berna inalpolat
01-26-2010, 08:40 PM
I have 3 months old twins and we love our prefolds with thirsties and gdiaper covers. I also have 4 GM ( love their prints), but they always leak, I dont know why?

Cina05
01-27-2010, 10:05 AM
I have prefolds, AI2's, couple fitteds, and pockets. We tend to grab the pocket dipes first.

We also have a couple trainers for our son. I need to get more cause he is day learning, and we have two others that need them at night.

thirdtimemomma
01-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Personally I dont have twins but I have had two in diapers for most of my diapering days. :P And we have stuck with prefolds the most. Trifolded and layed in mostly. Though DH loves pockets so we have a stash of those, stuffed with prefolds of course. The reason? Ease of laundering. I can hack any type of manuvering to put on a diaper its the washing that always kills me! With 7 people creating laundry it *HAS* to work like a well oiled machine. So if I have to strip it could set me back for weeks! :giggle2:

I wanted to update this because I've learned something.. I explained to my DH that pockets are just not doing well for us.. the nerve racking wash routine mainly and we still get stinkies.. So Im going to ditch them all and just use PFs and covers for everyone. I have my baby, and 3 boys in pockets at night. Oldest DS has a pull on trainer type that works nicely (drynights from One step ahead) and its not synthetic so it doesnt stink like fleece does. Anyway pockets are complicating the routine and PF's trifolded in a nice fitting cover works the best... OH! And I have found that not all covers work for all children. DD needs Thirsties and the DS's use Bummis..

reese8089
01-29-2010, 01:30 PM
I use BG one size and KN one size diapers mostly and PFs and wraps as back up.

sjmj
01-29-2010, 01:41 PM
3 year old - FB at night with superdo and hemp inserts
10 month old - Medium FB, KN (not my favorite), Dram-eze AIO, and prefolds/thirsties
soon to be baby-prefolds/thirsties, a few BGOS, and Flips

All pockets are stuffed with MF and Hemp.

I like that I should be able to use the BGOS and flips on the two youngest for a while, especially for the diaper bag.

mamoo3
01-29-2010, 01:46 PM
I only have 4 children, so not sure I qualify as a "mom of many", but we have never used a specific system. With my first two I used some dipes that I found at a rummage sale, I diapered the two of them for less than $100!! With my last two I have tried some other diapers, I like most any natural fiber fitted or prefold. The one thing that I wish I had had all the way through and will always use are the motherease air flow covers. I use wool at home, but when we are out or babywearing, I get some compression wicking so prefer the airflow's.