PDA

View Full Version : Need prayer and also advice for a preemie!

libertywrap
10-21-2009, 02:40 PM
I have a friend who is a missionary in Kyrgystan. Her friend just had a preemie and he is losing birth weight and also warmth. I don't know his exact condition. But I don't think he is doing to well. His twin didn't make it and his mom is just trying to keep him alive. I gave my friend a wrap a while ago and she is getting the mom to wear him skin to skin and BF a lot. She emailed me for any tips on helping him thrive and I thought I would ask here. They really don't have the medical support there and it is really up to my friend and the mom to keep him alive. They need prayers and also if anyone has any advice on things the mother can do to promote growth/warmth/eating/thriving PLEASE tell. I have been looking on google but have only found books to purchase so far. I don't have that sort of time.
Thank you!!
:pray: :please:

I am sorry if this is the wrong area to post this. I wasn't sure...
He is only 3.3 pounds

munchkinflame13
10-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Has she tried lactation cookies? Even if her milk supply is good, they have some great things for baby in them that will pass to baby through the milk.

Maybe some wool clothing? Wool holds warmth even if it gets wet. . .

My preemie was at 34 weeks and never had a problem with thriving, but those were the thoughts that jumped to mind. . . HTHs :hugs:

shortcake2386
10-21-2009, 02:50 PM
:( im sure they have limited resources there, huh? if i were her i would wear the baby and then put a blanket around herself and baby or a coat of something(but keep his face open so he gets good air) other than BFing nonstop i dont know what else to suggest? can they get access to some formula or bottles(assuming no pump is available). he would have to work less with a bottle and may be able to drink more before he is too tired....

libertywrap
10-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks,
I am going to email her. I do think her resources are quite limited. My friend who is the missionary is a BFing mom to a 3 month old. And I was wondering about suggesting for her to pump some milk for her friend and give it in a bottle. She has a LOT of milk. I don't know, that might help if the preemie's mom is having trouble producing milk. But is that bad to feed a newborn older baby milk? She emailed me and said that the mommy has him all snug up to her and she is staying very attached. I think the love and TLC otta do it. Thanks again and any more info or tips will be much appreciated.

shortcake2386
10-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks,
I am going to email her. I do think her resources are quite limited. My friend who is the missionary is a BFing mom to a 3 month old. And I was wondering about suggesting for her to pump some milk for her friend and give it in a bottle. She has a LOT of milk. I don't know, that might help if the preemie's mom is having trouble producing milk. But is that bad to feed a newborn older baby milk? She emailed me and said that the mommy has him all snug up to her and she is staying very attached. I think the love and TLC otta do it. Thanks again and any more info or tips will be much appreciated.

any milk is good. bm is better than formula:thumbsup:

munchkinflame13
10-21-2009, 04:32 PM
And if the mom is having issues producing milk, then any extra milk would just be making up for the lack, kwim? Even if its older baby milk. ..

munchkinflame13
10-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Also, make sure the baby wears socks and hats 24/7. . . most of the body's heat that's lost is lost through feet and head.

ralenth
10-21-2009, 04:43 PM
I agree with what the others have said. Skin to skin is good, with lots of layers on the Mom. Mom can be the baby's temperature gauge. My sister just had a preemie, and there was a big push to keep him in a quiet environment (because he needed a lack of stimulation). So, maybe dim the lights, lower the volume of whatever is going on around Mom and Baby. Also, depending on how early he is, he may not be able to breastfeed yet. I'd try a bottle (they can be easier) and pumping - or a medicine type dropper, or something else. I know there are other things you can do to feed a tiny baby. I think the suck-swallow-breath doesn't come until around 34 weeks gestation.