PDA

View Full Version : Stop kicking me!!!

Lisa-Rachelle
01-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Hopefully some of you have gone through this and can offer suggestions.

This past 2 months, I've had to nurse laying down almost ALL the time, because DD has a new habit. When she is nursing, she kicks and flings her legs all over like a wild animal! She will contently drinking, just happy as can be, but her legs are going NUTS! It's impossible to hold her and nurse her, because she kicks the snot out of me and does it so forcefully that she looses her latch and then gets mad and yells.

I just cant seem to get her to STAY STILL!

Please, tell me someone here has gone through this. What can I do?

lutgen
01-24-2007, 07:01 PM
It will settle down - all of mine had some issue. This one likes to "switch" back and forth grrrr....

Have you tried having a blanket on her legs?

SugarBunsWool&More
01-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Is she too big to swaddle or maybe just put an arm over her legs all casual like and hold her legs down so she doesn't clobber you?
I feel for you mama. :hugs:

3girlymom
01-24-2007, 07:07 PM
:laugh:

Okay, sorry but I had to do that.

Welcome to the club of mom's who have or have had acrobatic nurslings!

My #2 was like that. Her body would flip everywhere while her head stayed in one place, nursing the entire time with no disturbances.

The only thing I can tell ya to do, when she does that is to hold her legs tightly and tell her 'no' and then tell her what you want her to do. She may be little, but she'll understand soon enough. We always would follow up the 'no' with gently stroking the legs and saying 'nice, nice.' When they get big enough, I would just have to stop the nursing until she was going to settle down. If she went back at it, then I stopped the nursing again....doing cycles of this until we got the nursing done.

I let her do her gymnastic nursing routine at home some of the time, but she needed to understand when I told her it wasn't time to do that, then she needed to stop.

It takes time, that I do know. And, I doubt she ever fully stops. But, you should be able to give her consistent cues that she can learn over time, and when you do them it's a signal for her to stop. The key is being consistent in what you do to halt the movement, and if it's frustrating you with what she's doing to not give up and let her win. Again, it'll take time.

Mama3xsm
01-24-2007, 07:37 PM
I feel for you. My youngest did that and when I finally got him to quit, he did someting even more annoying. He would turn his body so that his butt was almost in my face as he nursed upside down. I couldn't stand up or anything b/c of how he was attached - but at least he still nursed.

kattayanna_mom
01-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Just wait until she sticks her big toe up your nose or does the super worm from the waist down while you are holding her.
My DD 17 mths is a little gymnast. Her latest is nursing stand up.:giggle:

ShayneLeMaster
01-24-2007, 09:50 PM
my ds is doing it as we speak lol.. luckily we are home most the day most days so we just go lay down lol

Jonasmama
01-24-2007, 09:56 PM
You should see all my tiny little bruises all over my right thigh, theres like 20!!
I try to scoot my legs as far away from him as possible, then I find he can focus and fall asleep or he will stay awake having fun kicking me!

AmandaS
01-24-2007, 10:01 PM
My son used to do that. Then I would put him in his sleep sack every time he nursed. He would still kick, but couldn't get much force behind them. Now he only kicks if he's super tired and fighting sleep or if the cat is laying next to him and her fur is tickling his toes!

Steve's Wife
01-24-2007, 10:14 PM
my dd started doing this too. i just end the nursing session, which makes her cry, so i nurse her again, but usually after once or twice she gets the hint, hugs mama!

babygirlsmom1005
01-24-2007, 10:50 PM
:smiley_haha: - I call it her "Happy Legs", my daughter is 15 months old and does the same thing (along with trying to put her foot into my mouth and heaven forbid if I am on the phone, she'll kick it out of my hands). She gets so excited while she is nursing, those little legs just go crazy. I am just hoping it is a phase and it will stop soon.

Elphaba71
01-25-2007, 10:53 AM
He would turn his body so that his butt was almost in my face as he nursed upside down.

:smiley_haha: That's my son to a "T" - I call it the "downward dog". It wouldn't be so bad if he would just nurse that way, but he is in constant motion. He isn't quite convinced that he can't lie against my chest and face away from me while he nurses - he still tries once in awhile.

geraelindsey
01-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Oh man! I am so glad I read this thread! I thought my daughter was the only one who did this (my others never did). She is almost one now and it doesn't matter if we lie down or sit up, her body is all over the place. The only exception is if she is tired and is falling asleep.

I wish I had some useful advice, I've just learned to live with it :dunno:

A'smommy
01-25-2007, 08:48 PM
At one point DD had to be swaddled in order for me to nurse her; she was a wild child. Swaddle in a receiving blanket or use one of the premade ones with velcro...we loved that thing! Have also heard of ppl using Snappi's to secure swaddling blankets (would have to be careful of the teeth though).

GL!

betty_joanne
01-25-2007, 08:56 PM
BTDT. Dd is almost 16 months and for the past like 6 months when i nurse her laying down she stands up while nursing(thank goodness towards the end of the nursing time).
Yep, been kicked a lot. Still get kicked.
Now she loves to poke me with her finger(eyes,mouth) or smush my face/nose with her hand. Partly our fault because we have taught her to point to her belly button, ears, nose, hair, toes, etc. She pokes her nose and waits for me to tell her "nose" and then pokes my nose and waits for me to tell her "nose". Oh well. Atleast for a non-talker we kind of understand each other.

Anytime i felt like she was playing i would say in a deeper voice "stop playing finish eating" and that usually would do the trick.
It is worth all the abuse from dd for those special moments with her.