PDA

View Full Version : Question for those doing Sonlight [1st grade]

BubbaNBoo
01-13-2010, 09:35 PM
I tried Sonlight for DS in K4 and he just wasn't geling with it... at all. He hated the work books and just wasn't interested in the read alouds; they didn't capture his interest and I think they were beyond his years. This year we are doing Heart of Dakota and some Abeka for language arts. I read aloud to them a LOT and the boys really enjoy our reading time together, so I'm thinking I might be able to try Sonlight again next year [for first grade].

My question is: how much time per day do you spend on read aloud books for your DC in grade one? I will have 3 younger ones around me too, who will be too young to sit in and listen, so that's why I ask. I'm under the impression that it might be more time each day than I have to devote to it.

Thanks for any advice. :thumbsup:

blessedx8
01-16-2010, 06:59 AM
We have used SL for most of our now 7 years of hsing and I stopped using it for my younger ones because there were so many read-alouds and I just couldn't do it w/ so many littles running around. I tried it last year w/ my 3rd grade ds and my 4 yo dd. and I had a 2 yo and an infant. It was just too much to keep up with. We ended up just making our own lesson plans using various curricula which is what we're doing now. I'm not overly happy with it so we're looking into Tapestry of Grace for the rest of this year and hopefully for next year as well. I much prefer having lesson plans all laid out for me since I'm not very good at keeping myself on track without them. :mrgreen: That having been said, my older girls have loved it and my 11th gr. is getting ready to finish up level 200 in the next week or so. I definitely credit SL for their great love of reading. Good luck finding something that will work for you!

HTH,

Shari

I tried Sonlight for DS in K4 and he just wasn't geling with it... at all. He hated the work books and just wasn't interested in the read alouds; they didn't capture his interest and I think they were beyond his years. This year we are doing Heart of Dakota and some Abeka for language arts. I read aloud to them a LOT and the boys really enjoy our reading time together, so I'm thinking I might be able to try Sonlight again next year [for first grade].

My question is: how much time per day do you spend on read aloud books for your DC in grade one? I will have 3 younger ones around me too, who will be too young to sit in and listen, so that's why I ask. I'm under the impression that it might be more time each day than I have to devote to it.

mhaddon
01-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Can you retry the books in the K4 program? Use those and supplement in the other subjects :)

BubbaNBoo
01-16-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm glad to hear my little one isn't the only one having a hard time with so much read aloud time! :goodvibes: I'm going to keep thinking about what to do for next year.

Pocket_Mama
01-20-2010, 08:36 PM

What Core are you looking at? I'm using Core K for 2nd and 1st grade and it's going well - though some of the books are still a bit beyond them, though they listen and ask questions. I did Core P4/5 for their 1st and K year last year, and it was a great fit with some picture books, some light chapter books.

We could cram the reading in in about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes if we wanted, but we spread it out throughout the day, doing math, science, LA, etc in between. The reading is the break!

mhaddon
01-21-2010, 01:45 PM
What about some books on tape/cd?

cassieJJ
01-21-2010, 02:50 PM
If he has a hard time with the read alouds I would go at least a grade below where he's at but keep the math and handwriting at his actual grade. My dd LOVES to sit and read. We do all of the weeks read alouds in one day so that we can read books that she chooses (sometimes they are school books) for the rest. Just by watching my ds now (he's 2) I don't think that's going to be his thing. I do plan on doing sonlight with him, but I plan on doing at least a grade behind if not two for the read alouds.

Oh and doing all of the K read alouds takes us about an hour for the whole weeks worth. An hour and a half if we have an interruption.

thirdtimemomma
01-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Have you looked into My Fathers World? There is a lot less reading and a lot more hands on. And with the Book Basket (book list) you can add or subtract whatever you want with out paying for books you wont read. :)