PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Help - 4T, 5T, 4, 6, 6x...

sasra_nu
01-18-2010, 12:34 PM
I was hoping someone could help me real quick.... I am trying to figure out what order kids usually pass through these sizes... and what is the difference between 4T and 4, between 6 and 6x, etc. Can anyone tell me? :goodvibes:

AHIAMOM
01-18-2010, 12:39 PM
4 and 4T and 6 and 6X are pretty much the same, just a slight length difference usually. They are pretty much interchangeable though, kids don't generally outgrow 4T to move into 4.

sasra_nu
01-18-2010, 12:44 PM
So typically - a child might wear a 5T after a size 4?

shortcake2386
01-18-2010, 12:46 PM
i was told that anything with a "T" is sized for diapers, just numbers are not. (and my mom swears that when we were little it only went up to 3T)

CherryPie
01-18-2010, 12:47 PM
I know with Old Navy, Gap, etc I think 5 and 5t fit the same (you can compare their size charts to check) but 5t is more for younger kids and 5 is more for older kids (less baby-ish, etc).

Mags462
01-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Anything with a T (the T stands for toddler) will be slightly longer (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 and inch) and slightly narrower (eg not cut as wide). A size 4 will be slightly shorter and wider than a 4T for instance... but normally not enough for it to matter. The bigger the # the larger the size.... Normally the "T" stops after size 5 (eg there is no size 6T)....

BrittBBT
01-18-2010, 01:40 PM
I was wondering this too! Great question!

tasbaby
01-18-2010, 10:52 PM
I was told at TCP that 5T and 4 are the same size...seems to be the case with their pants. Nephew wears 5T or 4 with no issues...Ds has recently outgrown that size and wears size 5. Poor DH is constantly confused about which pants belong to which boy! As soon as he figures it out they'll change sizes again!

NATTYBATSMOM
01-19-2010, 05:31 AM
4T is definitely shorter than 4 because DD can wear 4T but not size 4. It's a pain to figure out for pants but not so much for shirts, I just get either the largest T size in shirts (usually 5T) or go into the girl's section and pick up size 4/5 shirts. It's a pain in the tail end though and DD is a hard one to figure out for sizes. Doesn't help that she wears all her pants UNDER her belly.

And of course, it also depends on where you go, a size 4T from one store is not the same as a 4T from another. Old Navy, from what I have experienced so far, runs a little longer than some places. THEN, you have to consider WHAT you are getting. Leggings you tend to want to get bigger, regular pants tend to run big, and jeans tend to run long and narrow. It's enough to make you want to pull your hair out and shirts, like I said, I just whatever I can between 5T and size 4/5.

I like summer because it's much easier to size shorts than pants. And oh, if you think it's hard in the US, it's even MORE fun trying to figure sizes out here! Here, you get a mixture of clothes in US sizes, Korean sizes, and European sizes and NONE of them are the same! Ack! I'm still trying to figure out her Korean and European sizes and a lot of the time, it's a guess. And shoes, oh my goodness, I can't figure them out at all and it doesn't help that DD is in a really awkward size. For the most part, I'm side stepping it by putting her in boots over the winter and crocs over the summer. Right now, she should be set until we get back home in just over a year. At least, I hope. If she gets past a size 10 by next winter, I'm in deep trouble. But in that case, I'll probably just get her winter crocs.

~Tracy~
01-19-2010, 05:54 AM
5T and a kid 4 are the SAME. A size 4 is LONGER than a 4T - the T is TODDLER. My son for example wears size 4 and 5T right now in pants.

My daughter is in a 6X - 6X is like a 6.5 - it's longer than a 6 so like a mini-step to going into the "big girls" section that starts with 7.

HTH!

~Tracy~
01-19-2010, 05:56 AM
So typically - a child might wear a 5T after a size 4?

No - they are the same...5T is a little roomier in the waist and butt to accommodate diapers/pull-ups. After a 4 your child will go to a 5.

NATTYBATSMOM
01-19-2010, 06:11 AM
I thought the girl's section started at size 4. At least it does at the Wal-Mart, haven't looked in other places though.

~Tracy~
01-19-2010, 06:17 AM
I thought the girl's section started at size 4. At least it does at the Wal-Mart, haven't looked in other places though.

Yes, it does. After toddler sizing the little girl's section is 4-6X and the big girl's section is 7-14.

NATTYBATSMOM
01-19-2010, 06:21 AM
I see. The ones I've seen pretty much have size 4-14 all in one place.

~Tracy~
01-19-2010, 06:24 AM
I see. The ones I've seen pretty much have size 4-14 all in one place.

That must be easier - I always have to go to a different part of the store. I guess less sizes to search through here though. We can't wear Walmart clothing , but their sections are separate here too.

Mags462
01-19-2010, 07:49 PM
5T and a kid 4 are the SAME. A size 4 is LONGER than a 4T - the T is TODDLER. My son for example wears size 4 and 5T right now in pants.

My daughter is in a 6X - 6X is like a 6.5 - it's longer than a 6 so like a mini-step to going into the "big girls" section that starts with 7.

HTH!

Oh gosh... i was sooo wrong! I hope DS clothes i just bought fit.... :banghead:

christi2705
01-19-2010, 08:04 PM
"T"s are usually shorter in length and more generous in the waist. So a taller, slimmer child would fit better in a 4 vs a 4T.

stinkelein
01-20-2010, 08:55 AM
I second the previous post
When I worked for Marshall Fields (now macy's ) we were taught that T sizes are shorter and fatter that number sizes except 2t and 24 months then 24months was fatter and 6 and 6x are interchangable in shirts but not pants.
Right now dd can wear sz 4 pants and some size 5t pants (some are too short).

HappyEarthCreations
01-20-2010, 09:23 AM
I like to buy ahead during clearance sales, so I'm always having to deal with this. At the last Old Navy clearance sale I was trying to decide between buying size 4 or 5T. The 5Ts were in the toddler section, so they were cheaper. That's how I decided!

I've never been able to figure out the 6 versus 6X thing. Right now my daughter is transitioning from size 6 to size 7. I never had to buy 6X. We just bought the adjustable waist pants in size 7.

katesmash
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
:yeahthat: to everything listed.... I've noticed that a 3X differs from a 3 in that a 3 fits skinnier kids and a 3X is for "wider" kids... kind of like the difference between 18-24 months and size 2.

It all depends on the store... my DD is currently wearing some size 2T/2's still while other size 2's are way too small on her... and some size 3T/3's while others are HUGE on her...

~Tracy~
01-21-2010, 06:32 AM
:yeahthat: to everything listed.... I've noticed that a 3X differs from a 3 in that a 3 fits skinnier kids and a 3X is for "wider" kids... kind of like the difference between 18-24 months and size 2.

It all depends on the store... my DD is currently wearing some size 2T/2's still while other size 2's are way too small on her... and some size 3T/3's while others are HUGE on her...

I've never seen a 3X size or a kids 3 - everything is 3T around here.