PDA

View Full Version : What do you HATE/LOVE about your church nursery?

Emilyjoy16
01-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Our church nursery is terrible. It is ineffectively organized. Things are broken and falling apart. People from the church bring things their kids no longer use and it all just piles up and turns into a big room full of crap. There are no hooks to hang up coats or diaper bags. The changing table is wobbly and unsafe at best! I'm going there this afternoon to get rid of a bunch of junky toys and to sanitize the rest. I'm also interested in redoing things and getting some shelves and hooks and fixing/buying a new changing table for in there. So, help me get some good ideas of what to do, and what to avoid doing.
Tell me what you love about your church nursery set up and what doesn't work! Thanks so much ladies I'm sure you'll all be very helpful. Although, at this point I kinda think ANYTHING will be an improvement!
Emily

TalkinBoutMyGirl
01-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't like my church nursery bc some day's DD will be the only kid so she will have the 2 worker's to herself and I know she is getting plenty of attention. And on other days she is one of ten and I think that is just too many kids for 2 workers. The kids range from infants to 4 and I don't like how they are mixed in together where the older kids could possibly trample my DD. They recently did a clean up of toys and such so we don't really have the issue you have.

katiematie
01-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Our nursery is awesome. We go to a church with 1000+ members so its a little on the high end as far as churches go. our nursery is broken down into many different rooms. Each room is equipped with everything a child of that age needs. We dont even need to bring diapers or wipes because the nursery provides them. There are cubbies on the walls so children cant reach them, wall hooks for coats, rocking chairs, toys, changing tables, small kidney bean tables for the kids to play at, etc. Everything is brand new. We have a nursing room that is to die for. I mean seriously, i can fall asleep in there while nursing. Its has low, warm lighting, rocking chairs, an extra space heater to keep it warmer, a changing table with diapers, etc, a TV, soft music, bouncy chairs and boppys for the babies as well. Our church really took a lot of time and money to make our nursery nice for everyone.

Another thing I like is we have beepers for the babies in case they need us during church. The kids are also fit with tags (we get a matching tag) so that noone but us can go get them, for safety.

wooly_wonderful
01-25-2010, 10:20 AM
We never leave my DS in the church nursery:blush: What really bugs me about both our infant and toddler nursery is that I know they aren't honest with me. We tried leaving my DS in the infant nursery 3 times and toddler nursery once. They say he doesn't cry, but I can tell by his mannerism that he was crying and alot. Once he was almost hyperventilating and they said he was fine. I know they probably say that so I can relax and not worry about him in church, but it breaks my heart.

The infant nursery: I don't feel comfortable with some people working in the nursery, they don't have an entry way so people just roll their strollers in and leave stickers all over the floor where the babies crawl, I wish they had a screen in the sanctuary that would show your baby's # if they need you, seems dirty, doesn't look "homey" , it just looks like people threw their old junk in.

The toddler nursery: The 1 time we left him their (last sunday) he got strep. Now I know that could have come from anywhere, but he was home for the rest of the week and nobody else in the house was or is sick. He may not have caught the germs there, but I HATE how people still leave their sick children in the toddler nursery, screen with numbers again, again not comfortable with some of the workers

ETA: I :wub: the idea of a nursing room. I wish that we had one of those.

Emilyjoy16
01-25-2010, 10:21 AM
I think the beepers are great. We have about 300 members and we have some beepers, but they don't work. However, people continue to hand them out and pretend like they do work. So I think I'm going to hide them so we don't have that problem anymore!

myfrugalfunlife
01-25-2010, 10:28 AM
A bad nursery set up was one of the reasons we left our old church-I don't understand why so many church's staff does not realize how important a well run nursery is! Our new church has an awesome nursery set up! First and most importantly a well run nursery NEEDS a great person to run it/be in charge. This person is responsible for getting volunteers lined up and put together a schedule, update the attendance sheets, make name tags, and also be in charge of whatever security features are put in place (we use a wrist band system). We have a fantastic mama who volunteers to do this-she makes everything run smoothly.
Some things that make it great:
-if you have a child who regularly attends nursery, one of the parents is required to volunteer (this does not apply to visitors obviously!). We have over 100 parents on our volunteer roster-all who have had back ground checks :thumbsup: We have two services and three rooms (0-12mos, 1-18mos, 18mos-3yrs) and each room has two adults and one youth helper each service. On top of that, two of the adults also run check in/check out. This would be a logistical nightmare if there was not a great leader kwim? She does a schedule every three months and also maintains open communication with all her volunteers.
-No toy donations are allowed! While people have good intentions nursery is NOT the place to dump old used toys. The nursery has an annual budget like any other department and when needed, new toys are purchased.
Security is very important so we use a wristband system-when a child is dropped off they are checked in-their name is highlighted on an attendance sheet (which also lists special needs like allergies etc), they are given a name tag, bag is tagged, and then child gets a band on ankle and parent is given one that has a coordinating number. Only the person who has that band can pick up that child-No siblings, grandparent etc are allowed to pick a child up unless they have that band. This is strictly enforced.
-We have a pager system; each child is assigned a number and each parent is given a pager at check in. If a child needs needs their parent during the service we just page them :) This works great for us because we use cds full time and I just have them page me if my ds needs to be changed (I don't expect the volunteers to deal with it).
-Nursery is cleaned every week by custodians BUT we also have parent volunteers who come in each week and sanitize ALL the toys.
-Each child has a number-this is on the attendance sheet next to their name, on their name tag, on their bag tag, on the pager the parent is given, and on a hook in the rooms. This is a great way to keep everything organized :)
-Allergy friendly environment. We do have a snack each week but its either cheerios, fishy crackers, or pretzels. The leader has children with severe allergies so she's very on top of the whole allergy thing.
Also-we have a family room if parents don't want to do nursery (old sanctuary with a video feed), we have two nursing rooms which over look the sanctuary, and we also have a sitting area in the bathroom with speaker feed. I LOVE our church because its so family friendly!

rosefall
01-25-2010, 11:48 AM
I really like the nursery and toddler room at our church. We just revamped all the toys last year to get rid of things with broken/missing pieces. They also got nice storage areas for everything.

I love that they don't allow adult shoes into the rooms to keep the carpets clean. You can either take your shoes off or wear hospital booties over your shoes if you need to go in. They encourage you to just hand your child over the half door, but DS does much better if I go in and get him interested in a toy before I say good-bye so I just take my shoes off.

Our nursery usually has three workers and our toddler room two. I don't think I've ever seen them have more than three children per adult, and I think they would find someone to help them if they did.

Our church also has a working pager system to alert parents. They give the option of either taking a pager or leaving your phone number so they can get you (phone should be on vibrate and where you can feel it) if you child doesn't stop crying or gets sick or something.

I love that they are very attentive and "know" the children. Once when DS was about 7 months old I told the nursery worker that he hadn't nursed well that morning so he will probably get cranky. She paged me about 20 minutes into the service because he was "acting different than normal" and he was probably hungry, and he was. I'm so glad she paged me to feed him.

The only thing I don't like is the tiny cubby of a nursing area. When I nursed DS in the nursery, I actually just used one of the rocking chairs out in the open because it was more comfortable than the nursing area.

Happygrl6
01-25-2010, 11:49 AM
I LOVE that the ladies (and a couple guys) who work in the nursery love on the babies.

I hate that the rotation changes every week. At our old church, we had two workers who were paid modest amounts but loved the job. And then we had volunteers who rotated through each week, if needed. But having the same two workers there provided consistency. At our church, each person ends up volunteering once, maybe twice, per quarter. So lots of volunteers...but no consistency.

mcpforever
01-25-2010, 12:03 PM
A bad nursery set up was one of the reasons we left our old church-I don't understand why so many church's staff does not realize how important a well run nursery is! Our new church has an awesome nursery set up! First and most importantly a well run nursery NEEDS a great person to run it/be in charge. This person is responsible for getting volunteers lined up and put together a schedule, update the attendance sheets, make name tags, and also be in charge of whatever security features are put in place (we use a wrist band system). We have a fantastic mama who volunteers to do this-she makes everything run smoothly.
Some things that make it great:
-if you have a child who regularly attends nursery, one of the parents is required to volunteer (this does not apply to visitors obviously!). We have over 100 parents on our volunteer roster-all who have had back ground checks :thumbsup: We have two services and three rooms (0-12mos, 1-18mos, 18mos-3yrs) and each room has two adults and one youth helper each service. On top of that, two of the adults also run check in/check out. This would be a logistical nightmare if there was not a great leader kwim? She does a schedule every three months and also maintains open communication with all her volunteers.
-No toy donations are allowed! While people have good intentions nursery is NOT the place to dump old used toys. The nursery has an annual budget like any other department and when needed, new toys are purchased.
Security is very important so we use a wristband system-when a child is dropped off they are checked in-their name is highlighted on an attendance sheet (which also lists special needs like allergies etc), they are given a name tag, bag is tagged, and then child gets a band on ankle and parent is given one that has a coordinating number. Only the person who has that band can pick up that child-No siblings, grandparent etc are allowed to pick a child up unless they have that band. This is strictly enforced.
-We have a pager system; each child is assigned a number and each parent is given a pager at check in. If a child needs needs their parent during the service we just page them :) This works great for us because we use cds full time and I just have them page me if my ds needs to be changed (I don't expect the volunteers to deal with it).
-Nursery is cleaned every week by custodians BUT we also have parent volunteers who come in each week and sanitize ALL the toys.
-Each child has a number-this is on the attendance sheet next to their name, on their name tag, on their bag tag, on the pager the parent is given, and on a hook in the rooms. This is a great way to keep everything organized :)
-Allergy friendly environment. We do have a snack each week but its either cheerios, fishy crackers, or pretzels. The leader has children with severe allergies so she's very on top of the whole allergy thing.
Also-we have a family room if parents don't want to do nursery (old sanctuary with a video feed), we have two nursing rooms which over look the sanctuary, and we also have a sitting area in the bathroom with speaker feed. I LOVE our church because its so family friendly!

Wow! How big is your church? :headscratch:

I recently volunteered to "run" the nursery. It was in pretty good shape to begin with so there wasn't a lot that needed to be done other than to keep a schedule of adult and youth workers and make sure they actually show up. This hasn't been a problem so far.

I did clear out the broken, unsafe, and just nasty toys. All of the stuff there (except for the changing pad) is donated, but it is good enough shape that no one would guess it.

We have the toys organized (I use the term loosely as we encourage the toddlers to help clean up) in sturdy cubical shelves. There is a swing, a high chair, a rocker/bouncy seat, a pack n play (but none of the LO's ever actually nap so it is the stuffed animal bed), an exersaucer type thing, a toddler picnic table, and a small play kitchen. This is in addition to the little toys and books on the cube shelves.

There is a hanging rack set at an adult friendly height that parents hang the diaper bags on. There are back up diapers in case a parent forgets/runs out, but as picky as most of the congregation is about what goes on their kids, we go straight for the diaper bag. Wipes are supplied by the church. The kids don't stop long enough to eat snacks, but some parents pack them and we give them out if we are instructed to do so at a specific time. The same goes for bottles, but at my church we're more likely to have a mom come in to nurse their child in one of the 3 gliders around the room rather than leave a bottle.

The changing table is the countertop that has a sink built in with child-proofed cupboards above and below. There is also a small toddler bathroom with a fully plumbed toddler sized potty and sink.

We really like to go with what the parent wants, but we will not keep an inconsolable child! If there is still intense crying after 15 minutes, the parent will be summoned by one of the ushers. We are a smallish church so we really all know each other and who belongs to who. Often we don't even have to tell the usher who to go find, we just say, "Johnny needs his mommy."

After nursery is over, the small toys are sprayed with disinfectant while they are shelved and the large ones that were actually used (the high chair and pack n play aren't touched) are too in addition to the changing pad.

Our nursery is for 0-3 years old plus a special needs child who is over that age, but fits in with us best.

myfrugalfunlife
01-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Wow! How big is your church? :headscratch:

I recently volunteered to "run" the nursery. It was in pretty good shape to begin with so there wasn't a lot that needed to be done other than to keep a schedule of adult and youth workers and make sure they actually show up. This hasn't been a problem so far.

I did clear out the broken, unsafe, and just nasty toys. All of the stuff there (except for the changing pad) is donated, but it is good enough shape that no one would guess it.

We have the toys organized (I use the term loosely as we encourage the toddlers to help clean up) in sturdy cubical shelves. There is a swing, a high chair, a rocker/bouncy seat, a pack n play (but none of the LO's ever actually nap so it is the stuffed animal bed), an exersaucer type thing, a toddler picnic table, and a small play kitchen. This is in addition to the little toys and books on the cube shelves.

There is a hanging rack set at an adult friendly height that parents hang the diaper bags on. There are back up diapers in case a parent forgets/runs out, but as picky as most of the congregation is about what goes on their kids, we go straight for the diaper bag. Wipes are supplied by the church. The kids don't stop long enough to eat snacks, but some parents pack them and we give them out if we are instructed to do so at a specific time. The same goes for bottles, but at my church we're more likely to have a mom come in to nurse their child in one of the 3 gliders around the room rather than leave a bottle.

The changing table is the countertop that has a sink built in with child-proofed cupboards above and below. There is also a small toddler bathroom with a fully plumbed toddler sized potty and sink.

We really like to go with what the parent wants, but we will not keep an inconsolable child! If there is still intense crying after 15 minutes, the parent will be summoned by one of the ushers. We are a smallish church so we really all know each other and who belongs to who. Often we don't even have to tell the usher who to go find, we just say, "Johnny needs his mommy."

After nursery is over, the small toys are sprayed with disinfectant while they are shelved and the large ones that were actually used (the high chair and pack n play aren't touched) are too in addition to the changing pad.

Our nursery is for 0-3 years old plus a special needs child who is over that age, but fits in with us best.

I believe around 1,200 give or take a few hundred :giggle: Now my sister goes to the 'mega' church we grew up in and she's actually one of two paid people who run their nursery program (each works 20 hours so 40 hours a week)-they have several thousand members and their nursery program is massive, and its all computerized (very cool to see how it all works!)-they have a check in station where kids are checked in via computer and have tags with parents picture on it-that person HAS to be the one to pick up child, and they have several other security features as well.

proudsahmof4
01-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Our church just remodeled, and they did not put in a nursery (nor have they ever had one). Our priest has said many times that everyone is welcome at the service, even crying babies and troublesome toddlers. I :wub: my church.

mcpforever
01-25-2010, 12:18 PM
OK. Now for my actual advice since my last post was just a description of what our particular church has. :blush:

Definitely get a set of good sturdy hooks or a nice shelf (or both) to put near the door for coats and diaper bags.

I would totally go for a dresser type changing table (or even some built in cabinets with a countertop) because it is SOOOOO much more stable and will last longer than the standard changing table. A wall mounted folding one is good if you are short on space, too.

Purge the toys. Go through them and get rid of the junked up seriously dirty ones and keep the nicer ones that the kids actually play with. Figure out a good way to organize and store them.

What doesn't work for our church is the signing in and out business. It's just overkill when we know each other. Trying to enforce a snack time doesn't work for us either as every parent wants their child to have something different and then they don't all bring something and the kids are usually too busy playing to stop and eat anyway.

I would do away with the beeper system. Unless it is well maintained it does no one any good anyway. I can't imagine our church using them and can really only see them as necessary in a mega church type setting.

WynneBabies
01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
I've been to a few different churches over the past few years.

Church#1 Oddly shaped, small room. Needed more quality toys and was for ages 6 weeks until they turned 2 for a small sized church. Had a good check-in system. No pagers, but each child had a regular number that would display at the front of the church digitally if they needed you. Worked well. Probably cheaper than pagers. Thing I didn't like is they often had a girl who had down syndrome in there working, which is nice, but they'd let her hold small babies and she did not do well with them. Would hold them like they were older and would walk around with them. Saw her almost drop one once. The nursery coordinator had strict guidelines with her when she was in there, but often she was in there with just her mom who let her do whatever she wanted with them. Sweet girl, but she should have been helping out with the older kids. Got to the point where I wouldn't leave my baby in there anymore if she was there.

Church#2 Never used the baby room, but it looked nice. Babies moved up to the first toddler room once they were walking until age 2. Then a room just for 2 year olds. Very large, nice church. Everything was kept very clean. They rotated quality toys and kept them in storage closets. Everyone had a card you used to scan your kids in and out and sheets would print out. Also had pagers. Very thorough system.

Church#3 Smaller sized church. Nursery is for up to 18 months and then 18 month - 36 months in the room next store. There's just a ledge for diaper bags and no hooks. They have a brand new pager system that is extremely nice. Weirdest thing is we recently started going here and suddenly received a notice in the mail of which days were our days to work in the nursery. I understand if you use it, you should work in it, but I never was told of this. Kinda bugs me. No one calls to make sure you know and no one ever checked to make sure we were there when we were supposed to be. Very odd. We only had two babies other than our own, but I don't like the way they schedule.

dragondance
01-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I work in ours. :thumbsup: It is for 18mo-3 years (when they are 3 in Jan they go on to the kid classes). The very little ones stay with parents, and the parents can come in while their kids acclimate to nursery. When things break, they are donated. Every once in a while a request goes out to the church members for toy donations, and more than replaces what goes out. We go get the parents if a child needs changed (and then the child comes back in the nursery after) or we can take them if they are old enough to go themselves, and we just wait outside the stall. There's gathering exercise (bubbles or puzzles or lacing or coloring or stickers), snacktime with reading aloud to them, free play, clean up, then lesson and song time at the end. My only issue is the junky food they are fed, but dd is allergic to red dye and doesn't get anything with that in it.

mommy2abigail
01-25-2010, 05:47 PM
LOVE: They respect the parents wishes. They will immediately page me if dd starts to cry. The workers are loving and consistent, not punitive at all. The parenting class at our church now is wonderful, no spanking, very very grace based and pro-AP. Babies aren't left in swings/bouncer chairs/cribs for long periods of time, and when I volunteer I always stick a kid in my sling and everyone loves it. :thumbsup:

HATE: SMALL rooms. This can't be helped yet, but it's very hard if one baby gets upset to move away from the others to keep them from all crying. The toys could use a little updating, and definitely in the toddler room there needs to be LESS stuff and more age appropriate toys. The toys are donated, so we use what we get, but still. Some of the things in the toddler room are obviously not for toddlers.

jessicap
01-25-2010, 08:31 PM
I went from a very small church (about 30 members or so) that welcomed the children in church but did not have a nursery to a church now that has several hundred members and the kids are welcomed but there is the option for the nursery. I love the nursery because Sundays while I love my kids to be with me worshipping the Lord, I also like to fill up my cup as well. So I do utilize the nursery and childrens' church groups.

For me to go to a nursery/childrens' church setting was really difficult especially where I did not know anyone. I am well aware of the fact that sadly in many many churches throughout the US there are child offenders working in the nurseries without people knowing it. That freaks me out..so I wanted to know that my children are safe at all times and that there would be a way to get a hold of me if something big or small were to happen. I wanted to know that people that were working with my kids were fit and able to and were decent people. I also wanted to know that the people who were caring for and teaching my children on Sundays claimed relationships with God and were established members of the church and there was good fruit.

So when we were shopping for churches we were looking for a place that my children would have fellowship in a safe environment. (ours was a safe place, but we were the only family with children under the age of 14) So when I checked out the nursery, I wanted to see that the children were relatively calm well after the parents left. I wanted to see clean well kept toys, a potty close by, cheery and happy adults who loved kids. I wanted to be able to be contacted with big and small problems and I wanted to know what was going on with my kids while they were in there when I picked them up. But the biggest thing was I wanted to know that every single person who went into that nursery to work was background checked. I wanted to see clear and concise rules for us parents to follow and no wishy washiness, I wanted to know that just because we had relatives that attended, they could not pick up my kids from the nursery or other programs.

So I was told that everyone was background checked and that it was on file. In order to work in any area of ministry that deals with children of any age that has to happen first. Everyone that is recruited needs to be established members of the church. In order to be in teaching positions they need to have evidence of a relationship with Christ. The kids in the nursery have their name and a number assigned to them and their diaper bag, their diaper bags go into a cubbie with a number on it. I am given a tag with that same number on it. Only the person with the number can pick it up. (I have left instructions that unless that person is my husband or I, even with the number they are not to be released and that has been honored!) The rules for us parents are pretty clear, one family in to check in at a time, the age range is enforced and their wellness policy is enforced. They have people register if they feel like they are going to be coming back often, so I filled out a questionairre that asked general info like name, address, child's name, who can pick up who can't, allergies, any special instructions, phone number, etc. That goes on file and those files are kept in the nursery. No one is allowed in to the nursery unless they are dropping off or picking up a child or walking through the room to nurse in the nursing room. You must sign your child in and sign them out.

Z&N's Mommy
01-25-2010, 08:38 PM
The nursery staff at our church is so great. We are trying to get our one year old to be OK in the nursery during the service and they spent an hour walking her up and down the halls to keep her from crying. They come and get us if she gets going which I like but they try hard to help her cope. Sometime they bring her into the toddler room where our older child is so she can see her sibling and feel better. They are wonderful!

doodah
01-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Some other pp's suggestions were really great. I am only going to mention a few things in addition to those. Our coordinator has a half sheet with basic info and emergency contacts for each kid. These are posted where all the workers can see them. There is a cubby for each child's stuff and all the bottles and sippies are labeled with stickers and they come off with the first wash so that is not a big deal. They do go and get parents on occasion if a child is inconsolable or possibly acting wild with tantrums and I think that is best so the other children are not frightened by all that. There is a checklist of duties for the volunteers to do after the end of the service so the rooms are kept clean, trash taken out, etc. Only workers and children are allowed in the nursery (and nursing mothers) which is important because then you know exactly who is in there with your child. IF a parent wants to stay with their child but not in the main auditorium, there is an overflow room with a closed circuit TV. The coordinator also lists a very general lesson plan for the toddlers so the weekly volunteers can try and keep some schedule and consistency for the kids. The nursery is separated with 0-2 on one side and 2-4 on the other. I have only ever had one bigger issue with our nursery and it was a day where they had huge attendance yet there was not a backup plan for the flood of little ones packed into those two rooms. There were additional workers but it was still way too many kids for the smallish space. I came in to find my daughter just sobbing in the center of the room from all the activity. She NEVERS cries in nursery but there was no one to attend to her because there were so many younger babies there. I stayed in and helped for the morning even though I was not scheduled (I am a regular volunteer though). It was basically just a one time crisis that I have not seen after that, thank goodness. I think the most difficult thing for the coordinator would be to keep volunteers faithful and also deal with parents. Many of the parents do not ever send their kids to daycare or a babysitter and expect the rules to be broken for them and their kids. OR the kids cry the whole time because they are just not used to being away from mom. Eventually they do get used to it and have fun in there but it does take time.

angelisagemini
01-25-2010, 09:01 PM
This thread has been interesting. I work in a church nursery and I LOVE it. I work in the infant room. The majority of *my babies* come every week so we know them and their temperaments. There have been a few little ones where I was so sad when they learned to crawl because then they move on to the next room...
We also get to know their parents to see if they're okay with our ten minute rule. If we can't calm them down in ten minutes we'll page you, but if you want your baby to have a 2 minute rule instead then we're fine with that.
We have these AWESOME recliners for nursing moms. I wish I had a grand to buy one!
I wish I could go to service sometimes but I think I get my fill in the nursery just as well.

Sometimes parents can be annoying though. Like the ones who think that we should have some sort of curriculum. Ummm these babies can't even crawl yet...get over it, lol. Or the ones who think they are above our security measures, yes we know you and we see you every week but we need your tag or we aren't giving you your baby!

Kimmyann
01-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Don't like ours at all. It was literally a closet at one point. There are no windows. Its dark and the floor is cold because its this 60's industrial linoleum I think.

phantomriver
01-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Our church just remodeled, and they did not put in a nursery (nor have they ever had one). Our priest has said many times that everyone is welcome at the service, even crying babies and troublesome toddlers. I :wub: my church.

:thumbsup: That is why I picked my church. We have a room with a video feed/rocking chairs but there is no pressure to use it. I think they really have it more for women who are wanting to BF privately. The times I have taken my fussing kid to it they were always so nice and said that the noise was really OK. It has worked for 2000 years. Anyway, it has been the past 50 years of nursery that we have watched the church dwindle. There are way too many kids in our church to be supported by nursery anyway--not a lot of birth-control happening there :giggle2:

keen1981
01-25-2010, 09:26 PM
LOVE: I work it twice a month. I have gotten a few younger women involved in the nursery, before older women ran it. Which was FINE except new blood does amazing things for a church :) We sanitize everything after each service. Children are held, loved on and played with. Always. I do the under 2 room... Now the 2-4 room is where my other son goes and its AMAZING. There is a man there that held DS#1 every time for teh first month. DS#1 would sob and sob because he didn't want me to leave... But I knew i had to. For him. For me... NOW---- he runs to this man and loves him like family!!!!

HATE: Parents. We have some parents that treat us like their employees. UM.. WE VOLUNTEER. One mom gets angry when her baby falls asleep... even though she does every time, obviously she is tired. She gets mad and says we should keep her awake. SORRY. I am not bouncing a 10 month old like crazy in order for her to not fall asleep. thats cruel. LOL. OH and parents sending other family members to get their child. If we KNOW you, its one thing, but its very hard to look Grandpa in the face and say "Um.. Wheres the ticket? Without the ticket, you can't take Joey..." Grandpa just doesn't get it and gets mad... SIGH....

mekat
01-25-2010, 11:06 PM
What I don't like - Sanitation (not filthy so much as germy) and lack of a good sick child & sick volunteer/worker policies. I won't put Alec in the church nursery ever again. There are somewhere close to 60 kids that pass through the room and play with toys during the week (they run a private christian school/daycare as well) and while they keep it clean they don't sanitize well enough. One day, only one day did I send him this fall for a max of 45 minutes. He comes home and gets severely ill with Strep (the incubation period for the bug lines up perfectly to the church nursery stay, there had been no other exposures). We had to admit him to Children's. By the time we got to the ER his vitals were so unstable they mobilized half the ER staff to get him stabilized. He had been vomiting and had the runs for less then 24 hours and it took 3 IV boluses before his heart rate and blood pressure would even start to respond well. My son does have issues in his GI tract so it makes a GI illness 10 times worse for him but I'm sure there were other mother's who didn't appreciate the "gift" of Strep either. :banghead:

myfrugalfunlife
01-26-2010, 06:48 AM
I agree with pp that BACKGROUND CHECKS need to be mandatory for every volunteer working with kids, regardless of the size of the church-unfortunately I know first hand of someone who was really involved in our old, small church (300 members) He was a deacon, volunteered in nursery and other kids programs etc-everyone in the church knew him......well it came out that he has a lot of problems :cry: (he's related to my dh :( ). We did not do background checks at the church but if we had been, it would have come up that he actually has a police record (that even most of the family did not know about). So please please please get background checks done on every volunteer/worker-its not that expensive and it helps keep kids safe!

newbiemama
01-26-2010, 08:35 AM
mine isn't very serious, i just have a funny story...

DD was cranky in church so i went down to the nursery (which actually is her daycare room, cuz the church runs a FT day care) to feed her and help her fall asleep. i'm walking in and looking down, concentrating on the baby gate, when i hear a man say "well hello!!" i look up and its ALL MEN in the nursery!! i WAS planning on feeding her but NO WAY WITH ALL THOSE GUYS BECAUSE.... NO WAY!:blush: so the guy goes on to say "would you like to leave her here??" and i just stammer something about feeding her as i back out of the room. :bagoverhead:i'll just sit in the empty hallway, thanks!!