PDA

View Full Version : Books for toddlers about a new sibling

lilbitcrunchy
02-02-2010, 11:31 AM
This has probably been asked but I'm too lazy to search :giggle: I've stumbled upon a couple great books for my newly 2 year old concerning the new baby.

Everywhere Babies (http://www.amazon.com/Everywhere-Babies-Susan-Meyers/dp/0152022260)
by Susan Meyers

(Not really a "welcome baby" type of book but it goes through all the things that babies do their first year . They're pictured in cloth diapers :woot: and in slings :woot: and nursing :woot: I got this from the library and she's asked to read it at least 3 times a day so I'll have to buy it! It also shows stroller, bottles and sposies so I just love that it covers all areas of babydom, even the way they play).

and

We Have a Baby (http://www.amazon.com/We-Have-Baby-Cathryn-Falwell/dp/0395739705/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265135352&sr=1-1)
by Cathryn Fallwell

(not a ton of words so we can just chat and fill in the story. It could work for a girl or boy and shows mama nursing while the toddler is snuggled up right there too :wub: )

I'd love more recommendations for books to prepare her that are more naturally minded. I don't want to put jealousy into her head at all and want to show her how our lives would really be. We're having a homebirth too so no hossy books.

CamilikinsMama
02-02-2010, 03:29 PM
We only have one, but DD loves it! It's a Mercer Mayer Little Critter book - The New Baby, I believe.

punkinbaby
02-02-2010, 04:52 PM
I have http://www.amazon.com/What-Needs-Sears-Children-Library/dp/0316788287/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265154700&sr=1-1 It's written specifically for siblings who are expecting a new brother or sister and my 2 year old really likes it goes through everything a baby needs and how their lives are going to change and how they can be included.

rachaeljohnson
02-02-2010, 06:17 PM
if you are christian (God is mentioned, but it's not a preachy book), we bought Lor a book called God Gave us You when she was born and it makes me cry every time i read it. Then we found God Gave us Two which is about getting a sibling. Both tearjerkers!

Squig'sMumMum
02-02-2010, 06:25 PM
:popcorn:

lilbitcrunchy
02-02-2010, 08:22 PM
We only have one, but DD loves it! It's a Mercer Mayer Little Critter book - The New Baby, I believe.

Great I'll check it out! Nice to see you Jenna! Hope you're doing well :hugs:

I have http://www.amazon.com/What-Needs-Sears-Children-Library/dp/0316788287/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265154700&sr=1-1 It's written specifically for siblings who are expecting a new brother or sister and my 2 year old really likes it goes through everything a baby needs and how their lives are going to change and how they can be included.

I saw this one in B&N and it seemed a little long? Good to know your 2 year old likes it though I'll go check it out again! I could just summarize the pages and make up my own story.

if you are christian (God is mentioned, but it's not a preachy book), we bought Lor a book called God Gave us You when she was born and it makes me cry every time i read it. Then we found God Gave us Two which is about getting a sibling. Both tearjerkers!

Wow the titles alone make me teary :touched: I'll check them out for sure thanks!

Thanks everyone! Keep em' coming!

kristawithak
02-03-2010, 09:02 PM
I bought this one (http://www.christianbook.com/baby-loves-you-so-much/eileen-spinelli/9780824955502/pd/955501?event=CF) ("Baby Loves You So Much) for my DS, who is 18 months old. It's probably a little "old" for him, but he loves seeing pictures of babies. I got it for $4 at Tuesday Morning and it's going in his Big Brother present that we'll give him when he comes to see us at the hospital.

demandablue
02-04-2010, 07:42 AM
We love the Mercer Mayer one, too!

amu
02-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I've used the Dr. Sears books "Baby on the Way" and "What Baby Needs".
They're geared at bit towards older children, but I edit and at least they show slings and nursing....

fish3737
03-12-2010, 05:58 PM
This has probably been asked but I'm too lazy to search :giggle: I've stumbled upon a couple great books for my newly 2 year old concerning the new baby.

Everywhere Babies (http://www.amazon.com/Everywhere-Babies-Susan-Meyers/dp/0152022260)
by Susan Meyers

(Not really a "welcome baby" type of book but it goes through all the things that babies do their first year . They're pictured in cloth diapers :woot: and in slings :woot: and nursing :woot: I got this from the library and she's asked to read it at least 3 times a day so I'll have to buy it! It also shows stroller, bottles and sposies so I just love that it covers all areas of babydom, even the way they play).

and

We Have a Baby (http://www.amazon.com/We-Have-Baby-Cathryn-Falwell/dp/0395739705/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265135352&sr=1-1)
by Cathryn Fallwell

(not a ton of words so we can just chat and fill in the story. It could work for a girl or boy and shows mama nursing while the toddler is snuggled up right there too :wub: )

I'd love more recommendations for books to prepare her that are more naturally minded. I don't want to put jealousy into her head at all and want to show her how our lives would really be. We're having a homebirth too so no hossy books.

We got both of these books and the kids LOVE them. The "We Have a Baby" is perfect for my 21 month old. My 3 year old loves it too, but it is so simple that it is great for my little one.

The Everywhere Babies my son loves looking at all the illustrations and commenting on them. They even have some same sex couples in there. :thumbsup: My son noticed it. :)

Thanks for the recommendations ladies - I ordered some more as well off the lists!!!

Any more ideas!

serendipity10410
03-12-2010, 07:25 PM

Swimmingly
03-13-2010, 05:20 AM

3girlsallnaughty
03-13-2010, 05:36 AM

Ya. . .we got those books :)

missdawn25
03-13-2010, 08:18 AM

y son turned 2 a few days ago and enjoys this book. We talk about the baby and insert wording we use, but he will listen to the whole book. He does love books though too.

carbandy
03-13-2010, 08:29 AM
for sisters, Welcome to your world baby, its by brooke shields. My dd loves it!

firstkid4me
03-14-2010, 09:35 PM
I've used the Dr. Sears books "Baby on the Way" and "What Baby Needs".
They're geared at bit towards older children, but I edit and at least they show slings and nursing....

I love these books

kidpsych2be
03-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Heather - we got the "We Have a Baby" from the library - I tried to incorporate all the things Gianna did as a baby to what will happen with her baby sister. We have really been talking a lot about how baby "Fena" will have nursies like Gia and I let her "try it" even though the child couldn't latch her way out of a paper bag. :rolleyes: But I've shown her the baby clothes and told her where the baby will sleep - this book was nice and simple and great to introduce that line of conversation with her about. :)

lilbitcrunchy
03-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Yay and a bump for great books! The more recommendations the merrier :goodvibes:

Revy
03-18-2010, 05:30 AM

we like that kind of books also.it gives us more inspiration