PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have and use an otoscope at home?

sunnymommy
02-15-2010, 06:51 PM
(Other than a medical professional, I guess) I saw the DrMom otoscope on ebay and have thought about getting one to use at home so we don't have to run to the dr to check on ears all the time. Anyone have advice on learning to use one at home?

aprilbeanxo
02-15-2010, 07:21 PM
:popcorn:i have been at the doctors atleast once a week since thanksgiving with DS and his never ending ear aches.Theres only been once when i was wrong but i've been looking into getting one.I'd love to hear from someone who has one

avidreader
02-15-2010, 08:48 PM
I don't have one but I would really like to get one too! We have a health savings account type of insurance and have to pay for the full visit out of that account each time we see the Dr- very expensive! My mom is a school nurse so she constantly uses one and she says that once you know what you are looking at- it's easy to tell if the inner ear drum is infected as it's bulging and bright red. Forgot to say that my mom always offers to check my kiddos ears but it's a big deal for her to borrow the county otoscope (super expensive nice one)and she has forgotten each time I asked her to so it seems like it might be worth it for me to get my own.

MCR
02-15-2010, 08:49 PM
I bought one years ago when it was a 45 min drive to the doc and I wanted to make a few trips as possible.
But I'm a nurse and knew what the ear drum looked like already and what it looked like with infection (before we had the internet to show me pictures)
Defiantly worth buying in my opinion.

aprilbeanxo
02-16-2010, 06:31 AM
how hard is it to figure out if its infected?

ceslade
02-16-2010, 06:39 AM
We own one, hubby is almost a dr, so we actually have a very nice one :) He looks at half the ears in the neighborhood and sends parents in if they are infected. I've tried to use it but to be honest I can't really tell. Hubby says, "OK look in this ear can you see the infection and look in this one can you see how it isn't." And I say, "Um yeah honey." Because it should be easy but the truth is I can't tell diddly! Ok so when daughters ear drum burst and stuff was leaking out...well then I could tell but so could everyone else :) Thank goodness for honey! But if you can use it I definitely think it is worth having around. Nothing worse then going in and the doctor saying, oh it is nothing. Well great I'm glad I just gave you 150 bucks for that :)

ceslade
02-16-2010, 06:39 AM
We own one, hubby is almost a dr, so we actually have a very nice one :) He looks at half the ears in the neighborhood and sends parents in if they are infected. I've tried to use it but to be honest I can't really tell. Hubby says, "OK look in this ear can you see the infection and look in this one can you see how it isn't." And I say, "Um yeah honey." Because it should be easy but the truth is I can't tell diddly! Ok so when daughters ear drum burst and stuff was leaking out...well then I could tell but so could everyone else :) Thank goodness for honey! But if you can use it I definitely think it is worth having around. Nothing worse then going in and the doctor saying, oh it is nothing. Well great I'm glad I just gave you 150 bucks for that :)

rle376@hotmail.com
02-16-2010, 06:55 AM
I have the Dr. Mom otoscope as DD had chronic ear infections before she had tubes. Honestly I have a hard time telling what I am seeing with it. I will say I've looked a couple of times and things looked completely normal, so I chalked it up to teething, but for the most part it's really hard to see. I don't know if it's just the Dr Mom itself as it seems to give you a real narrow view, or if it's the fact that I'm not a medical professional.

Weecycled Woolies
02-16-2010, 07:25 AM
We have always poured a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide into the ear and if it foams up, then it's infected. With 4 kids and 1 that had to have tubes put in her ears, it was pretty reliable.

amphibology29
02-16-2010, 07:29 AM
We have an otoscope, but we mostly use it to check on DS's earwax buildup. He has a lot of problems with it that start to interfere with his hearing if it gets too bad, so it's necessary that we check it every few weeks and use wax drops when it starts to get bad.

Everywhere
02-16-2010, 07:51 AM
I asked my pediatrician about getting one of these, and she told me that honestly, it took her a good couple years to get good at recognizing ear infections, and that was with the assistance of a medical education and a mentor pointing things out to her. She told me it would be very hard for a lay person to just look in an ear and determine if it's infected....there might actually be an infection since you don't see anything you won't take them in when you normally would, and if you can't tell for sure, you'd take them in anyway which defeats the purpose...

I think it would be a waste of money and a source of frustration.

1blessedmama
02-16-2010, 09:52 AM
We do and while we don't use it very often (and have never had an ear infection) I like having it...though we didn't pay for it. We knew how to use it beforehand, though, so no real tips on home learning.