PDA

View Full Version : Getting twins to turn in utero??

HeatherlovesCDs
02-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Is there anything I can try to get baby A to turn head down?? I'm 30wks. I know he still has time, but twins get so cramped that it's less likely as I get farther and farther along. Plus, I'm having so many contractions, we aren't thinking I'm going to last too much longer anyway. Twin A is still breech. (I think) We will confirm it by u/s in a week or so since I need one anyway. Baby B is head down. But, as we all know, I really need A to be head down for my vaginal delivery. I really, really don't want a c-sec. :cry::cry: Just the thought of it is bring me to tears. Any advice on how to get him to turn or stories on twin A turning late or just encouragement that if I need a c-sec it will be okay.

ETA - Okay, I just read the spinning babies site. It says I can use some of the techniques on twins. So, I'll try some of them. I'm a little concerned because the site says you should work on relaxing your ligaments and pelvis muscles so the babies have the most room to turn. I'm getting so many contractions. My uterus is usually tight and I can't do anything about it. Any suggestions? Also, did any of you use a chiropractor to get your babies to turn??? If so, how much did it cost? I'm sure I would have to pay out of pocket. How do I find one?

Wanderlust
02-23-2010, 10:40 AM
:hugs: Heather. I'm in the same boat- but Baby A is head down and Baby B is head up. But DH and I don't feel comfortable with a vaginal birth unless both are head down.

I've heard some mamas talking about seeing chiropractors that are specially trained in turning babies. It couldn't hurt to check around to see if any are able to help twin mamas.

Whimsy Twist
02-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Twins will likely turn during labor- and that is terribly frustrating for mom because more care providers will not 'cater' to waiting that long. As far as baby b being breech- piece of cake! You already know that you can birth baby A, and once A is born, there is a good likely hood that Baby B will turn vertex for birth. Keep doing the things on SpinningBabies.com- Gail Tully is amazing (the woman behind the site). If her email is on the page, she may even be willing to email back with some personal things to add. I did my doula training with her, and really, she is a great lady!

If Baby A does not turn, I would still wait until you go into labor to have a section. The hormones that start labor are wonderful for the baby to have, and going through some contractions is beneficial to the babies lungs. AND it gives them a chance to change position once labor starts (which is common). GL!

Whimsy Twist
02-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Oh, and if you go with the Chiro route, look for someone with training the the Webster Method- that is for pregnancy.

HeatherlovesCDs
02-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Twins will likely turn during labor- and that is terribly frustrating for mom because more care providers will not 'cater' to waiting that long. As far as baby b being breech- piece of cake! You already know that you can birth baby A, and once A is born, there is a good likely hood that Baby B will turn vertex for birth. Keep doing the things on SpinningBabies.com- Gail Tully is amazing (the woman behind the site). If her email is on the page, she may even be willing to email back with some personal things to add. I did my doula training with her, and really, she is a great lady!

If Baby A does not turn, I would still wait until you go into labor to have a section. The hormones that start labor are wonderful for the baby to have, and going through some contractions is beneficial to the babies lungs. AND it gives them a chance to change position once labor starts (which is common). GL!

Thanks! I'm definitely not planning to schedule a c-sec. I plan to give the babies as long as possible to turn. My OB wouldn't be willing to schedule one till I was 38wks anyway and it's very unlikely I'll get that far. (My first set was 35wks and I'm contracting a TON and very strongly.) I talked to my midwife about scheduling it today and she agreed that I won't get far enough. Even if I do, I'm not scheduling one. I also asked about how long they would "let" me labor before prepping me for the c-sec to give baby time to possibly turn in labor. She didn't think my OB would want me to labor too long. But, she hinted that I could labor at home for a while to see if he turns and if I arrived just about to deliver, they wouldn't stop me from having baby A breech. :giggle: I'm just not sure how comfortable I am doing that if I go into labor before 37wks. I could go fast. (44hr labor the first time, but only a little less than 8 last time. I'm worried it would get a lot faster again and be only 2 or 3 total.) I wouldn't want to risk having them at home or on the road if they might have preemie issues. I just don't think I'm going to make it far enough to really want to risk having a homebirth (or roadside birth).

I've been researching Chiros in my area. So far, none of their websites say they do the Webster method. I'll probably wait till after my u/s just to confirm and then call them.

:hugs: Heather. I'm in the same boat- but Baby A is head down and Baby B is head up. But DH and I don't feel comfortable with a vaginal birth unless both are head down.

I've heard some mamas talking about seeing chiropractors that are specially trained in turning babies. It couldn't hurt to check around to see if any are able to help twin mamas.

I'm fine with delivering with just A head down. But, A isn't the one head down. So, let me tell you though, with my last twin pregnancy, baby B was breech the entire pregnancy. My OB wasn't going for a vag that way. (That's one reason I changed.) Baby B turned head down in early labor and that's how I got my vag delivery. So, don't lose hope. :hugs:

mammaof??
02-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Heather,

my first set of twins were flip flopped- A vertex and B breech. i did a lot of talking to them about the right positions for their deliveries. i delivered at 39 weeks. i did not see a chiropractor for their pregnancy, but did get some watsu done at 38 weeks. it was wonderful. i think that a combination of me talking to them and the watsu enabled them to switch positions. i will tell you that if it happened when i think it did, it made me feel really sick. i had an u/s 3 days before they were born and they were both head down.

i recommend giving yourself time and space. if you can't find a chiropractor, then get a massage. get onto hands and knees with bottom up in the air. talk to the babies.

good luck!

mommy2five&counting
02-24-2010, 12:19 PM
My twins turned from vertex to breech at 34 wks. During the U/S I had they went from frank breech to transverse. I laid on an inversion table with the angle at about 45* for 5 minutes. They next day they were vertex again and were delivered at 36wks. I had been having a lot of contractions since about 31 wks.

Cristine
02-25-2010, 10:21 AM
My first daughter was breach at 38 weeks! Our midwife told DH to talk to her at the bottom of my belly, and that she'd turn. Well, what do ya know, I went into labor 6 days later with a head-down baby. Have DH talk to the babies at the base of your belly and say "come down here, babies!" and they'll follow his voice.

It sounds very "hippie" and old skool, but I believe it worked. Nature works in magnificent ways ;)

chubsiescow
02-26-2010, 08:10 AM
I had a chiro use the webser method and baby turned..it didn't hurt and i had to pay out of pocket $100, but i then submitted the paperwork to my insurance and a letter saying that I did this so I did not have to have a csection or a version done in the hospital saving them tons of money...tada, I recieved a letter of thanks (almost) and a check for $80 back so I really only paid my out of network copay...