PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else not have cable??

dinogirl
02-26-2010, 12:51 PM
we lucked out and had bought a digital tv a couple of years ago so all we had to do was get a set of digital rabbit ears for the living room tv, but my son has an older model tv and we just cannot get the darn converter box to work. We dread the thought of calling someone to come and do it for us. any tips??

2queens&1princenmyhouse
02-26-2010, 12:56 PM
We have a terrible time getting anything when we run the tv through the converter. Our problem is that we have a crummy antenna bringing the signal to the box (not the box itself), so until we want to shell out a hundred dollars or so for a really good antenna, we're stuck.

dinogirl
02-26-2010, 01:00 PM
yeah that is our prob. crappy attenna for it . He can sometimes get one or 2 channels . it is so hard to get the box set up. harded than when we had satillite years ago. haha.

3rockstars
02-26-2010, 01:03 PM
we haven't had cable for more than 2 1/2 years.:thumbsup:

mlkirkpatrick
02-26-2010, 01:21 PM
No cable here either! Just rabbit ears and netflix.

marcumj
02-26-2010, 01:23 PM
No cable here either! Just rabbit ears and netflix.Same here :thumbsup: We did splurge and get a nicer antenna at Best Buy (around $40) and we get 8 channels I think and they are clear.

niftysmith
02-26-2010, 01:26 PM
We haven't had cable the whole time we've been married (4 years in July), and I haven't had cable since college (I graduated in 2002). We get 4 or 5 channels with a digital TV and an antenna, but it depends on the weather.

We're 15 minutes up the road from our local ABC channel and it still comes in like crap. :banghead:

We're not big TV watchers, though. We'll watch a few series we like on Hulu through the laptop, however. Or, we'll play our Wii or PS2.

rawheid
02-26-2010, 01:27 PM
no cable or satellite here, but we did just get a better antennae and now get 3 channels clear.

Charitys*Creations
02-26-2010, 01:34 PM
We have a not so great antenna and a converter box and we get like 12 or more channels and they are all clear. Sometimes DH has to go up and turn the antenna. I have not had cable since we moved here 8 years ago. We also have blockbuster.com.

rhettsgirl05
02-26-2010, 01:38 PM
No cable here either. We do have a subscription to netflix so in addition to watching DVDs we also can watch unlimited streaming videos (little guys computer is attached to the TV in the front room). Don't miss it a bit!

Manna00
02-26-2010, 01:48 PM
We don't get any channels here...so it's just netflicks for us. We've been "tv" free for 6 years now.

Anacrusis
02-26-2010, 02:03 PM
I think the converter boxes might not work on some older tv's.
We have two boxes on two different tv's and haven't had any problems. Except that the microwave and some passing vehicles interfere with the signal.

Bella Catalina
02-26-2010, 02:46 PM
our cable is canceled as of today. Scary, yet oh so liberating!

Macyllehub
02-26-2010, 03:20 PM
I've never had cable - I refuse to waste money. I also refused to buy a converter box because that would have also been a waste to us. Living without TV works perfectly in this family!

amcess721
02-26-2010, 05:57 PM
No cable here. We use an antenna and are able to pull in 12 channels including nbc, cbs, abc, fox and a few pbs channels...so we're pretty good... although, my husband is really wanting to be able to watch more sports and I've seen him online pricing and checking out cable deals.... Oy!

SenoraE
02-26-2010, 06:03 PM
We shut it down every summer when everything's on repeats anyway. We up our Netflix to 2, and pay something like $5 / month just to have it on hold. We're always outside then anyway!

craezie
02-26-2010, 06:42 PM
We have NEVER had cable, but were a little nervous when we moved to an area where almost no channels come in. I am pleasantly surprised that being TV free is great. We do have the Blockbuster subscription and rent about once a week. We still watch a couple of ABC shows we love like Lost the next day over the internet. Most network shows are available online for free for a couple of weeks after they air. The one cable show I like I rent on DVD--thats a hard wait until it comes out, but worth saving hundreds of dollars (its on a premium channel that costs extra too).

I think that the big difference being TV free is that you have to be more intentional about what you watch. You still get to see the things you really like, but dont waste a bunch of time just surfing or watching crap.

Indymomof3
02-26-2010, 08:28 PM
We canceled cable in October. We check out movies for free at the library and sometimes get a redbox movie. My son actually cried when he heard me on the phone canceling it lol.

payger
02-26-2010, 08:54 PM
we only have netflix :) and also use hulu etc.
I don't mind it at all

jamieism
02-26-2010, 09:18 PM
No cable and no tv reception. I did get a digital converter with one of those coupons, but have yet to hook it up. Lots of kiddie dvds, netflix, local public library and some old vhs tapes. Half the time we sit on the netflix dvds so long it almost seems not worth it, but recently DD2 discovered streaming Kipper and The Clifford Movie (I'm not too proud, but we've been getting our money's worth!) Can't think when we would watch tv if we had it. Though sometimes - like the olympics - I wish we had the option.

leeannie8
02-26-2010, 10:02 PM
We've been cable free for 4 1/2 years. We do get regular channels with our rabbit ears, I think we get about 8. My DH almost lost his mind at first but now makes comments about how much TV he used to watch and how he barely misses it. All our friends think we are insane because we don't have it, just wait until I tell them we are going to get rid of our TV in the living room completely!

dinogirl
02-27-2010, 07:42 AM
netflix is our only splurge. we love it.

keysersoze
02-27-2010, 08:47 AM
No cable, or reception. Our tv is set up as with our computer and we watch on hulu or borrow from the library, or rent from redbox. The kids don't watch tv, and we only watch after they're asleep.

moley
02-27-2010, 08:50 AM
We are on proverty TV as well ( well that is what we call it :) ) 3 channels and one of those is French.. we don't watch to much TV

Computermama
02-27-2010, 09:45 AM
We'll be getting rid of cable in 3 weeks when our contract runs out. :thumbsup:

gimberly
02-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Because of how we're facing in our apt complex, we get like 2 or 3 channels- so we watch hulu (http://www.hulu.com/tv) instead :)

neatokimmo
02-28-2010, 08:48 AM
I've been cable free for 3 months now. I've saved $194.55! Oh wait, I guess you should subtract the $30 I spent on kid cartoon DVDs the other day lol

I get ABC, clearly most days. If it is snowing, it is fuzzy. I also get like a UPN type channel, sound only. It is just fine for daytime because of the game shows, I keep it on for the noise.

My antenna was $10 at Walmart. I would like to get PBS. My TV is about 3 years old. Anyone know how I can add more channels without a lot of cost?

Bumstoppers
02-28-2010, 10:17 AM
No cable here...and we went and bought a digital antena box for $65. Best thing that we ever did. IT makes it liveable without having direct tv anymore. For less than what one month cost before....