PDA

View Full Version : Fever - Do you medicate? Or ride it out?

UnderTheStars
03-02-2010, 06:45 AM
When you get a fever (you, personally....not the kids) do you take Tylenol or another fever reducer? Or you tend to just wait and ride it out? Obviously I don't think you should ride it out if its really high, I'm talking about a fever around 101-102ish.

I went to bed last night with a 102.5 fever...from the neck up it felt like someone stuck my head in the oven, and neck down like I was standing naked in a meat locker. I went back and forth on taking something and decided against it in the end because I thought I read something about how the medication supresses your body's natural immune reponse. BUT, I'm feling pretty crummy this morning and I'm about to raid the cabinet just to function with the two kiddos...

mycdsqueaker
03-02-2010, 06:50 AM
If DH is home to take care of the kids, I ride it out.
If I am on my own taking care of the kids I do take something.

SAHM2Seven
03-02-2010, 06:55 AM
When you get a fever (you, personally....not the kids) do you take Tylenol or another fever reducer? Or you tend to just wait and ride it out? Obviously I don't think you should ride it out if its really high, I'm talking about a fever around 101-102ish.

I went to bed last night with a 102.5 fever...from the neck up it felt like someone stuck my head in the oven, and neck down like I was standing naked in a meat locker. I went back and forth on taking something and decided against it in the end because I thought I read something about how the medication supresses your body's natural immune reponse. BUT, I'm feling pretty crummy this morning and I'm about to raid the cabinet just to function with the two kiddos...

If its me, anything over 101 I would DEF take something! I can't stand the aches and then the feeling of freezing, then being hot ect.

Even for the kids, anything over 101 gets Tylenol or Motrin...
I hope your feeling better soon!

hydnim
03-02-2010, 06:56 AM
I ride it out. Depending on how high I let the kids ride it out too. Fever is an immune response to the germs invading your body (pyrogens). The reason your body makes you have a fever is bacteria, viruses etc live in a certain temperature range, just like humans do (approx 98.6--that's what part of the big hype about H1N1 is...it jumped the species barrier of being able to function in our temp range). Your body is trying to kill it off. But, you are also right in the fact that if it gets too high you need to bring it down with medication because your body will start shutting down in extreme fever conditions. You know yourself the best (and your kids) so in the end it is really up to you...

mom2LBJ
03-02-2010, 06:56 AM
If its me, I take tylenol, but thats all. I have to be up and doing things around here no matter what.

hydnim
03-02-2010, 08:14 AM
I just thought I'd add a little bit to my post above. No matter what you do make sure you (and the kids) keep drinking. My boys (almost 4 and 5) are even allowed to carry around their "sipper" cups with ice water when normally they have their normal cups. And here in KY there has been a virus going around with a high fever (103-104ish) that lasts a few days and then you're fine. My one year old got it the other day so we just had a lot of snuggle time when she was awake (she was only up for about an hr and then napped for five hrs all day and still slept all night). We had 2 days of this and then this morning she woke up fine.

KaylaJayne
03-02-2010, 08:15 AM
If I have a fever of 101/102 I am literally dieing!! So then I take something (I am naturally cold) but if it's a "low-grade" fever to me I usually just ride it out...

crunch!910
03-02-2010, 08:21 AM
DS has a fever of 101.7 about a month ago. I didn't give anything for it. He was eating, he was smiling, he was playing. No reason to!

mcpforever
03-02-2010, 08:30 AM
DS has a fever of 101.7 about a month ago. I didn't give anything for it. He was eating, he was smiling, he was playing. No reason to!

This is basically my philosophy for both myself and my children. I treat the person rather than the symptom. If I am feeling like a semi ran over me, regardless of the number on the thermometer, I take something for it. If I am feeling "ok" I don't medicate just because I have hit a certain number. There have been times that I have been less than 99 with terrible aches and chills that I have taken ibuprofen and times that it has been over 101 and have been fine without it.

Honestly, the thermometer is just a tool I use for confirmation that I really AM sick and not just being pitiful. I also use it so that I know when my kids are ok to be around others. Even if they are acting fine, if they are running a fever, I keep them away.

MinkaK
03-02-2010, 10:58 AM
It depends on how high and how much it is affecting me. If I truely cannot function then I take something, there is no one to watch my children otherwise.

Kiliki
03-02-2010, 11:02 AM
When I get a fever, it usually runs 102+. Anything below that, I hardly notice I don't take anything. Over that, depending on the circumstances, I do.

ONE time I rode out a fever for DAYS. But, instead of getting better, I got worse, started to hallucinate, and ended up having multiple infections and needing heavy duty antibiotics.

It really just depends on the illness for me.

I will admit that most times, when I am sick, I am a big stubborn baby. I don't want medicine but I do want to whine and be babied. I put on movies for the kids, completely neglect the house, and lay around all day. :giggle:

Mom2BabiesA&I
03-02-2010, 11:02 AM
I *rarely* get fevers and if I get them I feel like I have 2 feet in the grave so I medicate as much as I can depending on what the situation is with the kids. I had mastitis a million and a half times and had to call in family on more than one occasion to take care of my son because my fever was up to 103 and only came down to 102 with advil. It was horrid.

Of course if I get a fever that high I usually get a massive headache with it and I can not function with bad headaches so I medicate for the headache. I am incapable of caring for the kids with the headaches that fevers bring.

twirl
03-02-2010, 11:07 AM
I can't remember the last time I've had a fever and no other symptoms. If I have a fever, it's likely that I have a headache or something else and I've probably already medicated for that.

momtoamiracle
03-02-2010, 12:36 PM
I never run a fever but if I am achy I will take Aleve. I can't function if my head is pounding so much I can't think.

angelisagemini
03-02-2010, 04:26 PM
I'll take Tylenol or something like that.....but I can't even remember the last time I had a fever....yes I do. I was in labor. It's really rare for me to get sick.

EarthMum
03-02-2010, 04:33 PM
As odd as it sounds, every time I get a fever I take a hot bath. It breaks it every time.

keen1981
03-02-2010, 04:40 PM
depends on how I FEEL. Same way with the kids. I just use my mommy meter ;)

tarinalynn
03-02-2010, 04:43 PM
I ride it out with icepacks before meds. I will keep on one my head for a bit then tuck one in my clothes some how. 104 is where it can get dangerous for an adult, I believe. I tend to let my fevers go in lil waves and go back and forth between meds, icepacks, and nothing. Hope you feel much better soon momma!

HadassahSukkot
03-02-2010, 05:27 PM
If it doesn't break with natural methods and a few hrs of waiting it out - I take meds.