PDA

View Full Version : Math U see - completely confused???

n_kragh
03-04-2010, 02:12 PM
So what am I missing? I have Alpha for my 5 yr old and Gamma for my 9 yr old, I just got them yesterday and am completely confused?

Can someone walk me through a day of Math U see?

Thanks!

dragondance
03-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Watch DVD together.

Do student book together, or practice it with a white board. Can use tips in teachers' manual if kiddo needs more practice.

That's it, at least for Primer.... you have the blocks too, right?

tallanvor
03-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Yep, that's pretty much it. We don't necessarily watch the DVD every day, though. Depends on what is being taught that day. But, you need to watch the DVD's with your children because the way they teach things are not always going to be the way you learned them and you'll confuse your child. I've done that before.

Oh, and as for how many pages to do a day, that depends on you and your child. We normally do 2 pages a day, but if it is something they are flying through they will sometimes chose to do more. Likewise, if it is something they struggle with they do one page a day. You can also print more exercise sheets off their website or do basic drill on their website, as well.

dressagemom
03-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Yep, that's pretty much it. We don't necessarily watch the DVD every day, though. Depends on what is being taught that day. But, you need to watch the DVD's with your children because the way they teach things are not always going to be the way you learned them and you'll confuse your child. I've done that before.

Oh, and as for how many pages to do a day, that depends on you and your child. We normally do 2 pages a day, but if it is something they are flying through they will sometimes chose to do more. Likewise, if it is something they struggle with they do one page a day. You can also print more exercise sheets off their website or do basic drill on their website, as well.

Yep! We watch the DVD once or twice for each new lesson. The kids do a couple of pages each day (depending on what it is, sometimes they do less, sometimes more), usually on their own, unless they are struggling. Then, I am there to help them figure it out. Very simple. We really like the worksheet generator for extra practice, and the math drill on the website for practicing math facts.

HLCreations
03-08-2010, 12:02 AM
I don't "do" Math-u-see, but we were looking at it as an option for next year!
I would watch the videos as others have recommended, but I also had a seasoned homeschool mama and (ex) Math teacher tell me that Math-u-see is hard on parents because of the teaching style it uses.

dragondance
03-08-2010, 08:32 AM
I would watch the videos as others have recommended, but I also had a seasoned homeschool mama and (ex) Math teacher tell me that Math-u-see is hard on parents because of the teaching style it uses.

Really? I am NOT math-minded and I think it's quite simple and sensible. It works for dd's personality style too.

tallanvor
03-08-2010, 09:24 AM

I don't find it hard, just different. I have to make sure I watch the video with the kids to know what way MUS is teaching it. Most of what they do makes more sense to me than how I was taught the same procedure.

o3b
03-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Really? I am NOT math-minded and I think it's quite simple and sensible. It works for dd's personality style too.

And I AM math minded. I love MUS. So between the two of us, you've got both ends of the spectrum re: the part about it being hard on parents.

We have used Alpha to Zeta so far (6 levels).

I can usually figure out what the differences are by looking at the worksheets. (An example - the way you carry over from ones to tens, or from tens to hundreds is written differently on the paper than I was taught in elementary school. I had to relearn where I was looking in order to check their answers.) Otherwise, watching the DVD lessons will clear up any other issues. I will confess to NEVER having looked at the actual written parent instructions for guidance. I did look at them when I got the first books and decided I didn't want to confuse myself since it wasn't necessary for me.

We usually do 3 days per lesson: sheets AD, BE, and CF. This gives one sheet of only the new concept, and one sheet of new/review. My kids do ALL the worksheets, and I check every single problem. They correct until they get them right. I want them to figure out what they did wrong on their own.

I use the test booklet as a review. There are usually 6 lessons in a "unit". So they will do all the lessons in a unit, and then I have them do the test booklet, two tests at a time. For example, unit one covers lessons 1-6. They do lessons 1-6 in the workbook (in AD, BE, CF fashion). Then we do the test book, tests 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, unit test. Then back to the workbook.

They also do the drills on the website. Once my oldest had them down, I switched him to twice/week, but the other kids do them every day. I tried to let my oldest not do any more drills once he was in Epsilon and had his facts down, but he began making too many math fact errors. Putting him back on twice/week drills took care of that.

And, as much as I love MUS, I also use other programs. (Especially in regards to story problems/integrating math concepts.) I have written about those in past discussions about MUS which should come up with a search.

dressagemom
03-09-2010, 06:03 AM

WOW!! I can't believe that! I am *so* totally NOT a math person, and I have no trouble with it at all. I find it to be super easy to teach.

syfitz
03-09-2010, 07:04 AM
My kids watch the dvd alone and do their worksheets. I only watch them if they get stuck, so I know how he's teaching it before I help them. It is different from how I learned, but easier I think.

ETA: we've used MUS for 4 years and my kids are using Gamma and Pre-Algebra this year.

n_kragh
03-21-2010, 09:00 PM
We definatley figured it out :) I had to watch the DVD a couple times for the first lesson, but now we've got it :)

*Summer*
04-10-2010, 12:29 PM
So what am I missing? I have Alpha for my 5 yr old and Gamma for my 9 yr old, I just got them yesterday and am completely confused?

Can someone walk me through a day of Math U see?

Thanks!

We usually do one lesson a week. I sit down with them on Monday and we watch the DVD for their lesson. If they understand it we move on to a practice page, if not, I just explain the lesson more with the blocks, and show several examples. Some kids need to do all the practice pages and systematic review pages. But, if a child does the practice page with no problems at all, we move to the systematic review the next day, and onto a new lesson the day after that.

weareborgswife
04-12-2010, 10:44 PM
We watch the DVD at the beginning of each lesson (ds usually watches it 2 times just because)... we do one page a day (plenty for my ds- he just turned 7 and is at the end of BETA and the long subtraction makes him "feel" like he's doing to much. In the beginning we skipped some lessons and pages, because he got the concepts quickly.

I need to have him drill a bit more I think, but overall he's really learned a lot and my youngest is starting in Primer in the fall. I love MUS!

maureen73
04-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Please keep me posted! I am considering this for my soon to be grade K math program and would love to hear your thoughts as you use this!