PDA

View Full Version : ~$5 Meal Ideas~

Pages : [1] 2 3

stopka7224
05-27-2006, 08:33 PM
OK I wanted to start this thread to get some new cheap meal ideas. I see that there are several mamas on this board trying to cut costs in the grocery dept. So if you have a family fav that is inexpensive please share! It can be a twist on plain on hamburger helper! Doesn't matter, just share a cheap dinner your family loves!

I'll start....

Chicken and yellow rice

Boil 2 chicken quarters (maybe $2 tops) in about 6-8 cups of water. Until meat is cooked through, about 30-45 minutes. Remove meat from bone in small pieces. Add 1 family size package of yellow/saffron rice($2) into the same water that you cooked the chicken in. Simmer till rice is tender. I usually serve with Sweet corn muffins (.25 a box plus 1 egg and milk) And a can of baby peas. Feeds 4 or more!! MY DH will eat 2 or 3 bowls! It is his fav dinner. :goodvibes:

beckers1111
05-27-2006, 08:49 PM
tofu stir fry

1/2 package firm tofu cubed ($1)
1/2 bag broccoli, carrots, califlower cooked(.50)
3 packages ramen noodles cooked without flavoring packet (.30)
1/4 c. teryaki sauce (.50)?
2Tbs. oil (.10)?
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch (.05)?
2 Tbs water (.00)
dash garlic, onion powders (.02) :giggle:
2Tbs honey (.20)?
1tsp soy sauce (.10)?

in saute pan over low heat cook teryaki sauce, oil, cornstarch, water, onion and garlic powder, and honey until thickens. Add and stir in tofu veggies and noodles until warmed and covered with sauce......

$2.77!!! :lostit: If I know anything about what stuff costs....lol!

serves 2 (little) kids and 2 adults

BTW---Lentil burgers are REALLY cheap too!!! recipe is around here somewhere on DS.

Luv2bemommy
05-27-2006, 10:04 PM
WOW.. Can't beat meals under 5 bucks!! LOL I'll have to look into these..

I wonder what else I could use instead of tofu? We never tried it and I know dh will be :yuck: at the thought of it.

SheilaJoy
05-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Here's a quick and easy recipe that my kids and dh love:
Brown a pound of ground beef
In another large pan or pot, make 1 box of Rice A Roni Mexican flavor
When rice has about 10 minutes left, add in a can of corn (drained) and a can of stewed tomatoes (drained).
After the rice is done, add the meat, so it's all mixed together. Num Num.

There are six of us that eat, so I double the recipe.

LittleHobbitsMomma
05-28-2006, 12:12 AM
:popcorn:

Merolu
05-28-2006, 03:43 AM
Especially in summer, my family loves this one-

1 package uncooked pasta
1 pound chicken breast (or seafood like shrimp and crab, but that costs more $)
a small head of broccoli
1 can kidney beans
1 can garbonzo beans
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1/2 cucumber
italian dressing to taste

Cook the pasta, cool and drain, cook the chicken (i prefer to grill it) and cool that as well. Chop the veggies and drain and rise the canned beans, mix it all into a big bowl and pour the dressing over the top. This is the way we make it, you can subsitute any meat or veggie to suit your family. Fast, easy, cool for the hot weather and CHEAP. When I make it with seafood, I use a dijon dressing instead, or olive oil and a touch of vinegar and salt and pepper. When it's in a sealed container, I make a really big batch and use it for a few days... it tends to taste better when it's been allowed to sit for a couple of hours anyway, the next day it's still really good.

I will be checking back here to see more, I love getting fast and cheap cooking ideas.

stopka7224
05-28-2006, 07:39 AM

popcorn is cheap but I don't know if it's a good meal idea :laugh: :lostit:

Carrie
05-28-2006, 10:46 AM
:laugh:

So I guess cereal and pb&j are out too.

wbkt8
05-28-2006, 11:20 AM
i haven't mapped out the cost of this, but i'm pretty sure it's darn close to the $5 mark.

Crockpot Chicken "Curry"

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs (could use breasts or bone-in thighs...whatever) - I use about 6-8
1 large can of crushed tomatos
1-2 chopped onions
3-4 chopped carrots & celery stalks
3 T curry powder
1 t cumin
1/4 - 1/2 c raisins (golden or regular)
chopped cilantro (optional)
plain yogurt (couple of TBS probably)

Cook on low in crockpot for 6-8 hours. The chicken will essentially disintegrate into the sauce. (If it's breasts or bone-in I usually will take it out and shred it and then add it back in, but that's personal preference.)
About 30 minutes before serving add in some chopped cilantro and some plain yogurt (to taste). You could also toss in some cashews or almonds if you like as a topping.
We serve it over brown rice.

You can of course add in pretty much any type of veggie you like (peas, broccoli, potatoes, etc.)

Tummy
05-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Ok, another for the popcorn here..

Awsome thread:thumbsup:

stopka7224
05-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Super simple tuna Casserole

2 boxes of premium macaroni (the kind this the sauce not powder) $3
Cook as normal use only 1 cheese sauce pack.1/2 cup of shreded parmesan cheese (optional)
Add 2 cans of tuna. $1
1 can of peas. .50
I serve with a crusty bread (or crackers) and fresh fruit. Feeds 4-6 adults.

:yummy:

cgs189
05-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Here's one of our favorites-we dont eat very much meat-and actually this is dinner tonight.

Tomato and Feta Pasta

olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cans petite diced tomatoes (1.00)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 4 tsp dried
2 tablespoons lemon juice
8-12 ounces angel hair-I use 12oz since thats what size the box is (1.00)
4-6oz crumbled feta cheese-I use the basil and tomato flavor (1.89)
salt n pepper to taste
Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
Add oregano and garlic, and saute 30 seconds.
Add tomato, parsley, and lemon juice; cook 2 minutes or until heated.
Cook pasta.
Combine tomato mixture, pasta, and feta cheese, toss gently.

If you have some sliced chicken cooked on hand you could add that to it.

cgs189
05-28-2006, 03:39 PM
5 or 6 Can soup

1 can diced tomatoes (.50)
1 can corn (.50)
1 can minestrone soup (ready to serve), I use Progresso brand (1.69)
1 can mixed vegetables (.75)
1 can black beans, rinsed (.50)
1 can of vegetable or chicken broth or 1.5 cups of homemade broth(.50)

Dump everything into pot, except black beans need to be drained. Heat thru. Ill sometimes add some garlic too. I usually serve this with PB& J's.
This is actually on the menu for this wk.

wbkt8
05-28-2006, 03:44 PM
i thought of another couple inexpensive ones we fix frequently

Mexican Pasta

Brown 1/2-1lb ground beef
Add in one jar of salsa
Once it's heated through, add in 1-2TB of lime juice.
Mix with cooked pasta and top with grated cheedar

Tomato, Broccoli, & Feta Saute

Chopped fresh/frozen broccoli. Saute w/ a small amount of olive oil, minced garlic, and a couple shakes of red pepper flakes. Cook until desired level of doneness. Add in a couple of chopped, seeded roma tomatos. Cook just to warm through. Mix in some crumbled feta to taste and serve over cooked rice. We sometimes add in extra sliced chicken breast as well.

cgs189
05-28-2006, 03:49 PM
EAsy Ramen Noodle Casserole- if you like ramen noodles, I know my kiddos do!

1 lb ground beef (if not on sale, 2.99)
3 pks of ramen noodles (I use beef flavor) (.30)
1 can of mixed veggies do not drain (.75)

Cook beef until done and drain. Cook noodles for 3 minutes and drain. Add noodles and veggies to beef with seasoning packets. Cook until all heated. I serve mine sprinkled with some parm cheese.

Namaste
05-28-2006, 09:42 PM
American Chop Suey - Boston style

1/2 lb of elbow macaroni
1 lb of ground beef
one onion diced
one green pepper diced
28 oz tomato sauce
1 large beef bouillon

Cook the peppers and onion til tender. Add the beef (or turkey) and bouillon cube. Add tomato sauce and simmer. Add cooked pasta. It is awesome! Whenever I make it, I make enough for two nights because it is even better the next day.

stopka7224
05-29-2006, 02:26 PM
Taco Ring

This is a pampered chef recipe that I love! It looks pretty and is super easy to make. :D

2 can of refridgerated cresent rolls $3
1/2 lb of ground beef. $1-$2
Taco seasoning .50
1/2 can of refried beans .50
1/2-1 cup shreded cheddar cheese .50

Prepare ground beef with taco seasoning.
Arrange flat crescents in a cirular shape alternating one point to the outside and one to the inside. (looks kinda like a funky star)
Spread refried beans over the crescents.
Place about a tsp of beef on top of each. Sprinle with cheese.
Fold the tops of the cresent rolls over and tuck.
Bake until golden brown.

Serve with lettuce and sourcream and salsa!! Maybe a little over $5 but it is SOOOO good!! :hugegrin:

milniks7
05-30-2006, 08:53 AM
My mother always made this and my kids love it..

Chicken Fricasee

1 bag baby carrots
rice as needed(we use the 5 minute rice!)
whole chicken( we usually only pay about 70 cents a lb and get a whole one for about 3 dollars or so
corn starch

Put chicken in large pot , cover with water, add salt and an onion. bring to boil and then simmer all day..like 4 or 5 hrs, add water if needed. when ready to eat, make rice, remove chicken from broth, skim fat off top and add carrots, bring to boi again to cook carrots while you pull the meat from the chicken and kinda shred it..I just pull it off in pieces as it is really soft after cooking all day. when carrots are soft, add some corn starch(mixed in a bit of water) to thicken and pour over chicken in a big bowl. my kids ladle it over their rice and eat it all mixed..really simple clean up as well!

Nikki
mom to 7 great kids

GrowingUpMad
05-30-2006, 09:58 AM
I am certain we have several as the grocery bill is always the first to get edited when money is tight.

We have veggie stir fry:
1# chicken breasts ($2)
1 bag frozen stir fry veggies ($1.09)
1 box of stir fry flavored rice ($1.29)

I am sure you can figure out the directions here :giggle:

We also love BBQ cups:
3/4# hamburger ($1.25)
1/2 jar BBQ sauce (or 1/2 can sloppy Joe sauce) ($1)
1 can of biscuts ($1)
1/2 chunck shredded cheese ($1)
1 can corn ($.50)

Cook hamburger meat, add BBQ sauce OR Sloppy Joe sauce
Line muffin tin cups with biscuits
Add hamburger mixture to biscuit cups
Top with cheese
Cook at 350 for about 15 minutes or so
Serve with corn on the side

Both of those recipes serve 2 adults, 1 tween and 1 chld w/ leftover for dh's lunch

1bigfamily
05-30-2006, 12:23 PM
For large cheaper meals you can check out the Duggar family website.
http://www.duggarfamily.com/

leobaby04
05-30-2006, 12:31 PM
I looooove this one!

1 box Zatarain's Dirty Rice mix
1 lb sausage or ground beef (I like to buy italian sausages and take them out of the casings, but you could use cut up smoked sausages too.)

cook as directed on the box. Delish!

wbkt8
05-30-2006, 12:37 PM
I looooove this one!

1 lb sausage or ground beef (I like to buy italian sausages and take them out of the casings, but you could use cut up smoked sausages too.)

i like to do that too. also good way to get rid of left-over chicken. and i like to add some sliced/diced bell peppers to it too.

mama2train
05-30-2006, 01:15 PM
I love this thread! Very inspiring.

We really did eat popcorn growing up, but Mom made it into a peal by serving it with beanie weenies! (pork-n-beans and chopped up hotdogs) When you put popcorn in your mouth with the beanie weenies, it would kind of dissentigrate, and I always thought it was so cool the way it felt on my tongue! :giggle:

Lemon Pepper Tomato sandwiches
bread
mayo
tomato slices
lemon pepper

Simple, but yummy!

mama2train
05-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Groundnut Stew (African Peanut Soup)

(I learned this recipe growing up in Ghana, West Africa.)

1 chicken ($3)
1 onion (.50)?
6-8 c water
(you can add stock stuff: celery, carrots, salt & pepper)
Boil chicken (I leave it for hours, until it falls off the bones)
Remove meat from bones, shred/ split into manageable pieces.
Put chicken back in strained broth, and add:
1 can diced/crushed tomatoes or a few of the real thing (.50)
1 onion, diced
red pepper to taste
1 jar natural peanut butter (NOT the sugared kind!) ($2)
You may have to separate this out into smaller pieces to help it
dissolve. Be careful so it doesn't stick.
Boil until oil rises to the top. Feel free to add more water.
Serve over rice.

Topping options:
nothing
boiled eggs
diced onions
diced fresh tomatoes*
pineapple chucks*
peanuts
raisins*my faves, usually all I do.

Here are some ways to make it more authentic:

*Mold the rice into firm balls. Pinch off pieces of rice with backs of pointer and middle fingers, dip into soup, then rush to your mouth. Only the two fingers should be wet. You can only use your right hand for this. (Tons of fun!!! :thumbsup: Great family memories to be made! :mrgreen: )

*Chop up the chicken any ole way, with plenty of bones split in half.
*Use dried fish instead of chicken.
*Use LOTS of red pepper.
*Make it VERY runny (four times the amount of water).
*Serve it over fufu (gooey pounded starchy yams, you can get a mix at some ethnic stores) & eat with hands as described above.

Well, it looks like I went over the spending limit, but you could make it cheaper. Clearly, the more you add, the more expensive it gets. You can omit chicken completely or just use less. You could just cut it back to boiling natural peanut butter in water, and it would still be great over rice. As I tend to boil the dooley out of the chicken in the first step, remembering to add more water can make this meal last a week for DH & me. Easily feeds 8, could be stretched to more depending on ratio of soup to rice.

Have fun! PM me if you try it with your hands! I wanna hear stories! :spit: :laugh:

stopka7224
05-30-2006, 01:29 PM
I looooove this one!

This is great! We stuff green bell peppers with this and serve homemade bread. YUM!!!

mama2train
05-30-2006, 01:33 PM
I looooove this one!

Dirty rice is really easy to make from scratch, too! Just brown the meat with onions, garlic, and bell peppers. Then add it to rice as its boiling (I have a rice maker) with a tablespoon or so of worcestershire sauce and some freshly cut parsley. I can get the real recipe if you want. After that, the box just tastes fake, IMO. (But it's about the only thing I make without a box, so that's not to be snooty, just a sliver of a realization of what food is like in homes with real cooks! :giggle: )

Edited to brown meat instead of rice!--thanks, Katie!

wbkt8
05-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Dirty rice is really easy to make from scratch, too! Just brown the rice with onions, garlic, and bell peppers. Then add it to rice as its boiling (I have a rice maker) with a tablespoon or so of worcestershire sauce and some freshly cut parsley. I can get the real recipe if you want. After that, the box just tastes fake, IMO. (But it's about the only thing I make without a box, so that's not to be snooty, just a sliver of a realization of what food is like in homes with real cooks! :giggle: )

i assume that seond line should be brown the meat and add to rice while boiling....

thanks for the tip - i needed an idea for dinner and i think i've got all those things in fridge at the moment. :D

kittkat398
05-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Meatballs and noodles

1/2-1lb ground beef
1 can cream of mushroom soup
water or milk to dilute soup
egg noodles
salt and pepper to taste

Form meatballs, fry in large pan. Boil noodles. Add cream of mushroom soup to meatballs, you can dilute it and whisk it up a bit in a bowl first if you choose. Simmer til heated thru. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve meatball mixture over noodles.

peverroad
05-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Sloppy Joes
1 lb browned hamburger 99cents on sale
1/4 cup catsup 25 cents
1 can diced tomatos 80 cents
diced onion 40 cents
worstersier sause 20 cents
brown sugar 10 cents
squart of mustard 5 cents
cook together and serve over bread we do box max and cheese for 50 cents

Chicken
whole chicken boiled intill it falls of the bone.

Take shreaded chicken and cover with BBQ sause bake intill hot served with mac and cheese.

Take the chicken stock add streaded chicken and a can of bisquets and make chicken and dumplings. add a little corn starch for thickening and a bit of chicken boulion.

I'll think of more and add them

cuties02q
05-30-2006, 04:02 PM
This is a great thread...not sure about the price i guess it depends on what brands you buy.

Chicken pasta salad (Serve cold)
2 cans chicken drained
1lb of pasta
shredded carrots (we add lots)
mayo
I like celery in it but dh does not...so i do not put it in.
We top it with lemon pepper

Ginamcf
05-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Crispy Tacos!
We use "smart ground taco filling" fake meat
Taco Shells
Lettuce
Cheese

peverroad
05-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Chili baked patato
large baking patato 75 cents each
can of chili 1.00
cheader cheese to top 50cents

Or we make a large pot of chili and freeze
1/2 red beans 50 cents cook as directed
1 lb browned hamburger 1.00
2 cans tomato soup 1.00
2 cans chopped tomatos2.00
chili seasoning 50 cents
box of mac 1.00
cook hambuger and beans and add everything to crock pot and cook all day add mac in last hour of cooking.

campfire night
large cheap roast 3.00
put in foil pan put patatos 1.00 and onion 50 cents and water pennys in pan with roast let cook all day over fire (or can be done in crock pot)
corn on the cob over fire soak for an hour in sugar water and then set on rack turning often for about an hour. Corn can be gotten for 3 for a dollar.

tuna mac
cook mac as directed. For this we get the good stuff with the cheese sause. add a can of tuna. Great Lunch we all love this one.

peverroad
05-30-2006, 06:17 PM
A good way to get great meals cheap is to use them leftovers.
Buy cheap large meats and cook all day for great taste and tons of leftovers.
A roast can be roast one day.
bbq beef one day
a great mexican meal another day and can be easly frozen so you don't have to have the same meat for several days and chicken can be done the same way

FitMommyOf2
05-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Oh my, why did I never check this thread b4!? *doh*
Great yummy sounding recipes, mamas, thanks for posting!

I'll have to look up some of my cheap meals and will be back! :D

MammaGehl
05-30-2006, 08:43 PM
5 or 6 Can soup

1 can diced tomatoes (.50)
1 can corn (.50)
1 can minestrone soup (ready to serve), I use Progresso brand (1.69)
1 can mixed vegetables (.75)
1 can black beans, rinsed (.50)
1 can of vegetable or chicken broth or 1.5 cups of homemade broth(.50)

Dump everything into pot, except black beans need to be drained. Heat thru. Ill sometimes add some garlic too. I usually serve this with PB& J's.
This is actually on the menu for this wk.

I made this one for dinner tonight since I had most of the ingredients on hand. It was so easy and tasted great! I shredded some cheese on a tortilla and had cheese melts with it. Thanks!!!

FitMommyOf2
05-31-2006, 07:41 AM
Here's one I've actually learned from watching the Duggar family on tv :giggle:

Tatar tots casserole
1 pack of tatar tots
1-2 cans of cream of mushroom
1 pack of ground beef
Seasoning to taste
Cheese

Brown the ground beef, put frozen tatars into a large baking pan, pour 1-2 cans of cream of mushroom over, top w/ground beef.
Bake in oven @ 400F for about 35-40 mins, add sprinkles of cheese for the last 5 mins.

trinmama
05-31-2006, 11:51 AM
we call this one "saturday night supper" (so it came from a cookbook...hehe)

pound of noodles (we do the curly rotini ones)
pound of gr. meat (turkey for us)
bag of california veggies frozen (broc, caulif, carrots)
spaghetti sauce (we love the canned dole sauce!! it's cheap, too)

cook the noodles and meat, mix it all together in a 9x13 and cook at um, i think 350 for 45 min...basically until the frozen veggies are tender and all is hot. oh yeah, cover it so it doesnt' dry out. you can also top with cheese.

one of dh's FAVE meals....he can eat almost half the pan. LOL

Shaineinok
06-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Loaded baked potatoes.
Bake some potatoes (I microwave them)
top with butter, sourcream, bacon bits, broccoli, cheese, chili, or leftover meat, beans, tomatoes, onions, ect. Really anything goes and its cheap.

Dad's cassarole
1lb ground meat
6 sliced potatoes
1 can green beans
1 can cream of mushroom soup and 1 can of milk or water to thin.
brown your meat, add the potatoes and cook till tender, add green beans, and soup. Mix and simmer for about 15min.

Fried Rice
I buy a packet of seasoning
white rice
6 scrambled eggs
Frozen pea's and carrots
1 Shredded chicken breast
Start your rice first as it takes 20min to cook and I usually make about 4-6 servings. Next cook the chicken and then the eggs. Rice should be done by now so I toss it all in a big skillet and stir fry it a bit with the pea's and carrots. Yummy

Mac N cheese with Hot dogs
Mac n cheese with Broccoli and onions
Mac N cheese with spagetti sauce and hot dogs
Chicken breast cooked with mushroom soup and served over white/brown rice

4boys4me
06-01-2006, 11:08 AM
How about grilled cheese and tomato soup. My kids and dh love this! LOL

4pieces of chicken breast
1 cup rice
1 cup thawed frozen broccoli
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup water

Bake 350 until chicken is done. Mix rice, soup, water and broccoli together.. place in baking pan and place chicken on top. Season with favorite seasonings.

Melissa
06-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I will add some soon but waned to watch as there are some grat ideas here!

jelynn
06-01-2006, 01:27 PM
I looooove this one!

I'm going to try this today! I happen to have everything on hand! :mrgreen:

Trishalynn
06-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Peach chicken

boneless/skinless chicken breasts, how ever many you need
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1-2 cans of peach halve or quarters
rice

cut the chicken breasts in half and line a pan with it sprinkle with half the brown sugar, then put peaches in and pour juice in too then sprinkle with remainder of brown sugar, bake at what you normally bake chicken at and serve with rice (we use what ever the quick stuff is lol) it tastes really good!

ewebabymama
06-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Here's one I've actually learned from watching the Duggar family on tv :giggle:

Tatar tots casserole
1 pack of tatar tots
1-2 cans of cream of mushroom
1 pack of ground beef
Seasoning to taste
Cheese

Brown the ground beef, put frozen tatars into a large baking pan, pour 1-2 cans of cream of mushroom over, top w/ground beef.
Bake in oven @ 400F for about 35-40 mins, add sprinkles of cheese for the last 5 mins.

We have this a lot!! Except I make it a bit different... (we do this for several meals, or I freeze half for later)

Brown 2 lbs of ground beef then add
1 can cream of celery
1 can cream of mushroom
1 package french onion soup mix

Place in baking dish, top with tots bake on 375 till bubbly. Last 10 minutes add cheese.

White chicken chili

1lb cooked chicken breast
2 cans chicken broth
2cans northen beans
1 can chopped green chilis
cumin to taste

Put all in pot and heat through. I like to thicken mine a little though. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and corn muffins.

milniks7
06-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Another my kids adore..Chicken in cream of celery soup

1 lb chicken cut up small..1 lb feeds all of us including dh because of the way it is served..they eat less of the chicken.

2(or 3, we use 3 now that the bigger kids seem to eat more!) cans of cream of celery soup...place soup and 1 can water for each can soup in pan...mix and add chicken pieces...simmer for about a half hour..make rice(however much you need)

then we pour the chicken mix over the rice and serve with corn on the side(some of them mix the corn in as well)

gee...think we eat a lot of chicken? i buy it whenever it is 1.69 a lb and stock up!

they also like it when i cut the chicken up into bigger pieces, soak it in italian dressing for a bit and then pour it on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes..served with a veg and sometimes a rice mix....

some good recipes here for me to try!

Nikki
mom to Shea,Anya,Molly,Luke,Noah,Aedan and Lachlan

Samantha
06-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Tuna noodle cass.

can of tuna
2cans of cream of mush soup (or use big can which is what we do)
pasta of your choice
cheese
salt+pepper to taste

cook pasta. Mix in soup and tuna and simmer for a while. Put in baking dish add shredded cheese to top and put in oven until cheese is melted. Can also be eaten without the cheese if you prefer :D I didnt put measurements in because you can make this recipe as small or large as you want.

Pork chops

pork chops
2cans of cream of mush soup(or 1 lg can)
WHITE onion
salt+pepper to taste

Brown pork chops WITH the chopped up white onion. I cover it for 1/2 the time (to help cook the onions, if the onions brown a little its SUPER yummy!) and 1/2 the time without the lid. Add soup and simmer for a while. Serve over rice. (you can use above recipe for chicken that is really good too, but I dont add the onions)

Those are 2 cheap ones I can think of off the top of my head. I have a BIG OL' list of cheap recipies (I took a SUPER frugal cooking class a couple years ago) but, I cant find them..I lost them in the move :banghead:

Something else that is cheap and good is the chicken pot pie recipe on the side of a bisquick box. I use a bag of california veggies and bake a potato or two and chop them up.

littleways
06-04-2006, 09:21 PM
A new favourite of mine at the moment:

Crust Free Quiche

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups of soya, rice or cows milk
brocilli
red pepper
mushrooms
grate some cheese

pop in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes

add some salad on the side and your good to go.:)

KnottyLDSMama
06-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Around my house, this was always called "Chilli Rice and Cheese Sh*t". Haha. It's a new spin on chilli rice & corn tortillas.

1 bag of Fritos (I like to use the bbq fritos)
2 cans chilli
bag of rice
shredded cheese

Cook the chilli and rice. Pour some fritos in the bottom of the bowl. Top with chilli, cheese, then rice. It's absolutely delicious, and quite filling, too.

dirtdartwife
06-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Here's two... humor me with the first one as it's an old Polish recipe for Bash (I don't know how to spell it in Polish, but that's how it sounds)

BASH
1) boil a Keilbasa ring in water
2) hard boil 6 eggs
3) boil 5 medium potatoes (or enough for mashed potatoes for your family)

*take the kielbasa out of water and slice to bite sized pieces
*add about 1-2 tbsp corn starch (or flour.. whatever you wish) to thicken boiled water-- not to gravy consitence, but just to thicken it a bit
* bring water to boil again and allow it to thicken. add salt, pepper and a dash of white vinegar

* mash up potatoes and cut up eggs to bite sized pieces
* toss eggs and kielbasa back into water and let it simmer for about 10 minutes
* put mashed potatoes into bowls and pour soup over mashed potatoes.

Cheaters version of tacos or enchiladas
Buy the Hamburger helper taco or enchilada version when it's on sale
Make according to directions
throw over frito chips or tortilla's
add lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, onions, and whatever else you like on tacos.

And talk to my kids about the popcorn for meals! :razz:

We also have "Fend for yourself nights" or "salad nights". The first is when I'm too dang lazy to have started dinner at a decent hour so everyone has to find a can of soup they want. The other is when I make a huge salad and that's dinner.

quixb
06-21-2006, 12:56 AM
This may be $5 depending on sales, brands ect....but its close.

Tater Tot Casserol ~ a little different than above :)

1 lb hamburger($2)
1 can cream of mushroom (or cream of anything)($1)
bag of tater tots ($2)

Take hamburger (uncooked) and pat down in an 8x10 or 9x13 pan (depending on thickness you preffer of meat)
Spread soup over top of meat
Cover with tots and cook according to tots direcetions (sometimes a little longer until your meat is done)

Thats it....cover with ketchup and we like to add shredded cheese :) yummy

clothdiapermom
06-21-2006, 06:48 AM
I do a lot of sale shopping so I can make this for less than $5 but it will vary if you have to pay full price for everything.

Hobo Stew (This is what my mom always called it)

1lb Ground Beef
2 cans vegetarian vegetable soup
2-3 medium potatoes
2-3 carrots
a little garlic (you can use fresh, or garlic salt, or even garlic chips)

All you do is brown the ground beef and drain the grease, add the two cans of soup and two cans of water. Peal and cube the potatoes and peal and slice the carrots and add those as well. I sprikle some garlic salt in as well, you can do as much or as little as you like. Let the whole thing simmer on low for a while until the potatoes and carrots are cooked.

I know it isn't much but my DH and I love this and it is so easy to make. You can add some sort of muffins, cornbread, or really any type of bread if you like. We serve it in bowls because it is a thinner soup.

trinmama
06-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Broccoli Lemon Chicken.

Get a can of cream of broccoli soup and follow the directions on the back. LOL. You basically brown the chicken, add the can of soup and some milk and some lemon juice, top with lemon slices if you want (but that's extra and unncessary expense), cook until chicken is done. I serve it with rice. YUM. It's dinner tonight and it's done!!!

2beautifulgirls
06-22-2006, 04:03 PM
here's another:
i get a box of zatarain's dirty rice and add ground beef.....my kids (2yo and 4yo) inhale it. yum!
and another:
i get 2 pkgs of sweet yellow cornbread (48 cents at walmart per package) and get a bag of pinto or great northern beans and have that for dinner....that one is under $3! and we eat that for days! mmmmm! it's actually on the menu this week...woohoo!

dirtdartwife
06-23-2006, 12:07 AM
mushroom chicken
get 9x13 baking dish
put uncooked jasmine rice on the bottom (coat the bottom with one layer of rice)
place thawed boneless/skinless chicken breasts on top of rice
mix cream of mushroom soup with milk and pour over chicken, use two cans if you need to cover chicken
bake for about 20-25 minutes on 375F

I make this and then fry up some crookneck squash (summer yellow squash for you Yankees :razz: ) and zucchini in butter.

lavieenrose
07-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Peach chicken

boneless/skinless chicken breasts, how ever many you need
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1-2 cans of peach halve or quarters
rice

cut the chicken breasts in half and line a pan with it sprinkle with half the brown sugar, then put peaches in and pour juice in too then sprinkle with remainder of brown sugar, bake at what you normally bake chicken at and serve with rice (we use what ever the quick stuff is lol) it tastes really good!

I made this last night, but I did it all in the skillet. Pan seared the seasoned breasts on both sides and the put in a warm oven. Threw in just a tbsp or so of brown sugar, the peaches and about a tbsp of red pepper flakes, a 1/2 tsp of tabasco, salt and pepper and cooked until the sauce had reduced by about half. Then I added the chicken back in to finish cooking. What a great meal - it was a huge hit! Thanks so much!

Bluemoon
07-08-2006, 03:21 PM
I posted my chicken and dumpling recipe in a different thread and its under $5!!
Barbara

twinmommy
07-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks for all the ideas!

keegans_mommy
07-22-2006, 08:47 AM
My family LOVE this:

Sausage and rice casserol

1 roll of sausage (cost anywhere between $1 and $3?)
2 cups dry rice (makes 4 cups cooked)
2 cans of cream of mush. soup
salt, pepper and garlic to taste

brown sausage while cooking the rice, in a big bowl mix the mush soup, salt, pepper and garlic add all the ingre. to that and put into a casserol dish. Bake at 400 deg. until hot all the way through.

Super cheap! :D

Julesmom23girls
07-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Here is one my hubby loves!

Brown ground meat (beef or turkey)
Add a can of cream of mushroom soup cook to heat soup.

Serve over toast and w/ a veggie or salad.
I bet you can do this w/ like $3 depending on how many you are feeding. He comes from a large family and his mom made this all the time. She made 2 lbs of meat and 2 cans of soup. It is kind of like a sloppy joe, but w/ cream of mushroom soup. I have seen this in a cookbook w/ cream of celery, but I an not sure I would like that as much.
Easy Peasy

ewebabymama
07-25-2006, 12:05 PM
A bit labor intensive, but incredibly cheap...

Homemade chicken and noodles.

Whole chicken ($3-4)
Homemade noodles

Boil chicken all day till falling off the bone. Add whatever seasonings you like. I do a simple, onion, bay, salt, pepper, garlic.

Make noodles by mixing season salt, flour and eggs until you get a pasta type mixture (I use 2 eggs and add flour till I get right consistency). Will be very thick dough. Roll out VERY thin and let sit for about an hour to dry a bit. After slightly dry cut into noodles. (If you don't wait for it to dry, it will be a huge mess when you cut!)

After chicken is cooked pull meat off bones, save broth. Strain broth and add back to pot and add chicken. Bring to full rolling boil and add noodles.

Serve over mashed potatoes. Like I said, labor intensive but so so worth it!!

peverroad
07-25-2006, 12:21 PM
i don't know why i didn't say this earlier
speggetti
1 jar sause (tin not glass) 1.00
1 lb noddles 1.00 can get for 50 cents
if you want add veggies or meat

red beans and rice
simple many many different ways to make

MamaMegan
07-26-2006, 07:43 PM
I make a beef stroganoff like meal-- my picky husabnd likes it. :)

1 lb ground beef (brown with onion flakes, garlic, salt and pepper)
1 can cream of whatever soup
Elbow mac (cook and set aside)

Brown the meat and leave drippings in pan, throw in soup and stir-- may add some milk to thin it out. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes while stirring. Serve over the noodles.

----
Cheeseburger Casserole

1 lb ground meat
Diced Onion
Salt Pepper, Worchestire Sauce-- whatever you use to season burgers
Tomato
Cheese (slices, shredded, whatever)
2 Cups Bisquick Mix (actually, generic, but I don't know what to call it LOL)
3/4 Cup Water

Brown ground meat and season ilke you would a burger-- add in part of the diced onion. Drain off most of the fat.
Mix biscuit mix and water and put in the bottom of a casserole dish, top with the ground meat mix, lay slices of tomatos and sprinkle remaining onions on top, cover with cheese.

Bake at 400 for 30-40 minutes.

marvelous
07-26-2006, 11:52 PM
Great thread. Dinner tomorrow is coming off of this thread.

I got this off of the Kraft website, but it has become one of our "regulars".

Speedy Egg Bake

6 eggs ($0.50)
6 flour tortillas ($1)
2 tomatoes, sliced ($1)
1 cup of yellow cheese (cheddar, mexican blend, colby, whatever you have) ($1)

Scramble eggs and season to taste. Put two of the tortillas in the bottom of a pie plate. Layer with half of the eggs, 1/3 of tomatoes, and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat: 2 tortillas, eggs, tomatoes. The last layer should be two tortillas, tomatoes and cheese. Bake in 375 oven about 5-10 minutes. We usually just let the cheese melt. Yummy! Even my 15-month old loves it!

alisonsage
07-27-2006, 12:53 AM
What great ideas mamas!!!!!

This is my special *Fiesta Chili*

1 lb ground turkey $2 (you could substitute ground beef or even TVP)
1 onion, diced $.35
1 can corn $.50
1 can black beans $.60
1 can hominy $.45
1 can diced tomatos $.65
cumin powder
chili powder

Brown ground turkey in a soup pot, add diced onion. When these are cooked I add my cumin and chili powder. I add quite a bit because DH likes it that way but you acn season to taste ;) Add tomatos, corn, beans, hominy, and a couple of cups of H2O and simmer. I like to serve this garnished w/ cheese and avocados and with whole wheat tortillas

skayers01
07-31-2006, 02:01 AM
Pork chops

pork chops
2cans of cream of mush soup(or 1 lg can)
WHITE onion
salt+pepper to taste

Brown pork chops WITH the chopped up white onion. I cover it for 1/2 the time (to help cook the onions, if the onions brown a little its SUPER yummy!) and 1/2 the time without the lid. Add soup and simmer for a while. Serve over rice. (you can use above recipe for chicken that is really good too, but I dont add the onions)

Me and my older sis (when I was her live-in nanny)use to make this for dinner ALL the time and serve it with rice. I miss it, but dh HATE mushrooms and onions!

skayers01
07-31-2006, 02:06 AM
Beef Stroganoff

Now there is a homemade way to make this but I can't remember exactly how I make it. Instead you can just buy Hamburger Helper and replace ground beef with stew meat and cook as directed. I've never liked Hamburger Helper, but this one is pretty good.

When I make it I use a beef bullion, cornstarck, milk and Tony's seasoning (it's like seasoned salt), added to the cooked meat until it tastes good (or edible at least, since I'm not the best cook!) and serve over egg noodles. I think it would also be good over mashed potatoes, but we haven't tried it yet.

shell015
07-31-2006, 02:12 AM
OK I have to come back and read and write down all of these but I thought of my cajun pork chops and had to add but it's 3am and dh is wanting me to go night night... Urghhh this DS addiction is getting bad!!!

Cajun Pork Chops
Family size Package of PorkChops
Cajun Seasoning (.50 at walmart or the dollar store)
Aluminum Foil

Preheat oven to 375

Take the pork chops put 1 on a piece of foil... sprinkle cajun seasoning on it.. turn it over and repeat... fold the foil over the chop to make sealed packet. Repeat with all the chops. Put on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 45 minutes. When you get these out they just fall apart they are so moist. No sauce needed. Be careful opening the packet because the "sauce" will just run out.
If you want you can make mashed potatoes and use the sauce for gravy. The chops really don't need it. Open a can of veggies and you got yourself a meal.
May be a little over $5 depending on your family size... BUT still really cheap and really good.
Great Meal!

lastaats
07-31-2006, 03:12 PM
Quesadillas!

Just need tortillas, butter (or you can use spray Pam or the likes for low fat), cheese, and whatever fillings you want. Just butter the tortillas, toss them in a pan, add filling, then flip when browned. Serve w/ salsa, sour cream, etc.

Some good fillings along w/ shredded cheese:
Hamburger, chicken, any kind of meat really.
Tomatoes, onions, black olives (or any type of cooked veggie).
Breakfast ones w/ scrambled eggs are pretty good too.

My girls LOVE these. Quick, easy, and cheap.

Luvmy2boys
08-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum, but found a lot of great recipes reading this thread. Here is one of mine that goes over well here.

Brown 1 lb of hamburger (1.88 or more if you use leaner beef)
Drain and add 1 large can of Ranch Style beans (1.25)
Heat through. We serve this sometimes over cornbread (homemade so I really don't know the price) and whatever veggies we have on hand. We also sometimes add grated cheese and/or sour cream.

ahava'smama
08-02-2006, 06:17 AM
Baked Potatoes with Broccoli
Add whatever toppings you like!

Herb Chicken and Roasted Potatoes.
Season Chicken with assorted herbs and lemon juice
do the same to the potatoes adding vegetable oil.
Bake until hot and cooked through!

MomsHelpingMoms
08-03-2006, 04:50 PM
I've got to say ladies, you have really helped me out this week. I wasn't so much looking for cheap recipies as much as just looking for something different! I hate cooking the same things week after week. So far, from the list, we have had the:

5/6 can soup (Yum with corn muffins!)
Dirty Rice with Ground round
and today, we are doing the Chicken Fricase (sp?) and maybe the quiche too.

quarli
08-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Here are several of our favs! Im actually working on a cookbook for my family of simple and cheap recipes for thier christmas gifts....so I have a ton of them!

Sweet and sour pork patties over noodles or rice

1lb pork sausage unseasoned (meaning not the breakfast kind thats seasoned )
1 egg
5-7 crackers crumbed up, or 1/2 cup bread crumbs
any veggies you have in the fridge, we used zucchini, onion and tomatoe, put them in the food processor or dice finely
1 tbsp salt and 1tbsp pepper and 1 tbsp garlic powder
1 bottle sweet and sour sauce

mix well, like you would a meatloaf, and make patties (not too thin but not too thick). brown them all up and then in the pan add 1 bottle of sweet and sour sauce, saute patties for a few minutes, and serve over rice or noodles, topping with extra sauce if you choose.

Meatloaf Mountains

1-2lbs ground beef or turkey or a mixture of both (usually bought on sale)
a few crackers
1 egg
1 packet of instant veggie soup mix, or whatever veggies you have on hand diced finely
A squirt of ketchup, or bbq sauce...whatever you normally use

Insant or homemade mashed potatoes.....whatever you have on hand

Mix everything but the mashed potatoes, well, in a bowl.
Spray a muffin pan with non stick spray and fill cups approx 1/4 an inch from the top.
Cook for approx 25-30 minuted at 350, about 10 minutes before they are done, add a dollop of mashed potatoes on top of them and cook for the last 10 minutes.

Extended meal ideas (note the extender itself may be a little more than $5 but it evens out of the days):

4lbs boneless pork ribs ( we buy these on sale for about .99 cents a pound...if they are too expensive we buy the bone in ones, but make sure they are about 6-8 inches long)

Night one: Boil ribs on stove for 2 hours. Drain and toss in large crock pot with enough bbq sauce to cover them, add a diced onion, simmer for about 4 hours on high stirring once inawhile.

Night two: remove ribs from sauce shred or dice finally (remove bone if using bone in) toss back in sauce, simmer for 1-2 hours on high, serve in rolls or on bread, or over rice.

5lbs ground turkey (bought when on sale for 99cents a lb)

NIght one: Brown all meat, add diced onion, salt, pepper, garli powder to taste, whatever you do, dont add taco seasoning, but add whatever seasonings you want to flavor.....serve with taco shells, or whatver you like to use taco meat for.

Night two: Add one jar of spaghetti sauce to leftover meat, you can add fresh tomatoe, bell pepper, onion etc simmer and serve over noodles or whatever you like spaghetti sauce over.

Night three: toss leftover sauce in a blender or food processor, add a little bbq sauce to taste, serve over buns or bread like sloppy joes.

All of these can be doubled or tripled depending on family size...it will just cost more :)

I have more I will come back and add later!

halyled
08-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Wow, lots of yummy stuff for me to try out this month!

Here's my offering, I *think* it's about $5.00. My mom used to make this, and now it's my husband's favorite soup.

Hamburger Soup

1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
1 can petite diced tomatoes (14.5 oz or thereabouts) (do not drain, just add the juice in)
1 can tomato sauce (14.5 oz or there abouts)
1 large can Veg-all or similar (I usually use generic frozen mixed vegetables instead, it's cheaper...the important thing is to get a good mix of veggies...corn, peas, carrots, celery, potatoes, lima beans and green beans are what I like best)
1 can beef broth (or use homemade, probably about a cup or two)
water, depending on how thick or thin you like your soup
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder, onion powder (or you can dice onion and garlic and brown with the ground beef)
dried thyme, basil, oregano, or whatever other herbs you like

After you've browned and drained your ground beef, return it to the pot and dump everything else in, then season to taste. I usually use a pinch or two of the dried herbs, usually thyme and basil. Simmer soup for at least half an hour to allow flavors to blend. I would guess this serves about six...my family of three (well, four, baby still nursing!) usually has plenty of leftovers.

Has anyone ever read the "Make-A-Mix" cookbook? I highly recommend it for making your own mixes at home cheaply. :hugegrin:

HappyCDMamainWI
09-12-2006, 12:10 PM
This is what we're having tonight

Left over fried chicken shredded.. (legs and thighs .79/lb, breasts .99/lb)
bag of frozen peas and carrots (.99 on sale)
left over mashed potatoes (my mom over bought potatoes at farmers market yay! free!)
cream of chicken soup..one can store brand (.99)
shredded cheddar (about $2 worth we are cheese freaks)

Combine shredded chicken, peas, and cream of chicken soup in the bottom of 9x13 cake pan, I like my glass ones.
Sprinkle a layer of shredded cheese
Spoon mashed potatoes on top.
Bake in oven at 350 for about 45 min or until potatoes are golden brown on the tops.

Or maybe I'll just cook some elbow macaroni, put the chicken veggies and cream of chicken soup in there? Hmm.

Gavin&Brent'sMommy
09-12-2006, 01:10 PM
mmm y'all are making me hungry! LOL

Blackbirdlane
09-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Beef Stroganoff

Now there is a homemade way to make this but I can't remember exactly how I make it. Instead you can just buy Hamburger Helper and replace ground beef with stew meat and cook as directed. I've never liked Hamburger Helper, but this one is pretty good.

When I make it I use a beef bullion, cornstarck, milk and Tony's seasoning (it's like seasoned salt), added to the cooked meat until it tastes good (or edible at least, since I'm not the best cook!) and serve over egg noodles. I think it would also be good over mashed potatoes, but we haven't tried it yet.

www.hillbillyhousewife has a recipe for this and it is yummy.

daisyprincess98
09-15-2006, 02:47 PM

Oh, and I LOVE hillbillyhousewife.com. the donut muffins are AWESOME!!!

Ok, only fair to add if I'm going to take, right?

Crockpot Pulled Pork (from cheapcooking.com)
1 T oil (about .10)
2 chopped onions (about .50 I use the frozen ones 'cause I cry if I chop 'em myself!)
6 minced garlic cloves (about .10)
1 T chili powder (about .10)
1/2 tsp black pepper (about .10)
12 oz chili sauce (1 small bottle) ($1.25)
1/4 cup brown sugar (about .10)
1/4 cup cider vinegar (about .10)
1 T Worcestershire (about .10)
3 lb. pork shoulder (about $4 if on sale)
buns ($1.00)

Saute the onions in the oil until soft. Add garlic, chili powder, and pepper and cook another minute or so. Add chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Heat till boiling stirring constantly.
Put the pork shoulder in the crockpot and pour the sauce over it. Cover and cook on low 12 hours or on high 6 hours, until pork is basically falling apart. (Longer never hurts.) Shred the meat with a pair of forks and return to the pot and keep warm in the sauce. Serve over buns.

So, I know this adds up to more than $5, but this makes A LOT of pork. Probably 2-3 meals worth. Leftovers can be frozen.

kht2006
09-19-2006, 02:32 PM
:spit: :popcorn: I am now ready to go to the store. Karen

kht2006
09-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Pineapple Pork chops
4 boneless center cut pork chops, ¾-inch thick
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple with juice
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce

oven to 350-degrees. Coat a baking pan with a spray of canola oil.
Place pork chops in a baking pan. In a small bowl, mix together pineapple, brown sugar and soy sauce. (I used chunk pineapple and put everything in the blender.) Spread pineapple mixture evenly over the top of pork chops. (I added a few chunks of pineapple on top.) Cover tightly and bake for 50 minutes or until well done. Place baking pan on cooling rack. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

I'm trying this tonight. Pork chops were on sale cheap. I'll serve it with brown rice and steamed brocolli. I plan to use the extra pork chop to make a stir fry further stretching the $.
Karen

sarahannecloud9
09-21-2006, 11:50 AM
1-dice up some summer sassage (you don't need to much as it has soooo much flavor)NOT SURE ABOUT PRICE?
2-bellpepper(.50)
3-onion(.50)
4-brown rice (.75) (or less if you buy from the discount store)
You can also add some frozen sliced okra, that's good too! (.50)
to taste:
onion salt and pepper
cellery and garlic salt

cook rice as usual, add diced streamed onion and bell pepper and mix all. This is one I made up with leftovers for Cayden's lunch the other day and he adores it!!

sarahannecloud9
09-21-2006, 01:28 PM
I have more!

Chicken with dumplins. I substitute the white flour with wheat. Tasts great too!

Chicken and rice

red beans and rice. Beans from the can (kidney) if you like.

fast soup
dice sassage and boil or boil hamburger meat and skim some fat off or just drain and rince for less fat. Replace the water if you drain and add lots of celantro one onion and beef boiion to taste. Some cellery salt and lastly a bag of mixed broc, carrots, and cauli! We love it. You can do both meats a swell.

Another is stuffed bell peppers. Get the 2or3 for the $1 deal. clean them.

1 chopped onion and ground beef. I boil and rince to get the beef into tiny pieces and all of the fat out. I boil the oiion with it. Then just strain it well.
Then Cook brown rice and mix it together when done. Add some onion, garlic and cellery salts to taste.

Then stuff the peppers, put the tops back on and wrap in foil. Cook till done. I used to soak my peppers in a bit of sugar water. Made them a tad sweater.
Happy cooking!

meredith_mob
09-25-2006, 03:38 PM
My belated addition:

Note that my measurements aren't exact...I usually just toss stuff in until it looks right, lol.

Plain old potato soup

5-6 med potatoes
1 can evap. milk
Whole, 2% or skim milk
butter (to taste, I use a whole stick)
salt and pepper to taste

Peel and cube potatoes, boil about 15min. (My mom boils them whole then cubes them, a bit messy for me). Drain potatoes, add evap. milk, regular milk (enough to cover potatoes), butter and salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes are soft.

You can add all kinds of stuff to this to make it more hearty. Cheese, keilbasa, hamburger....whatever floats your boat!

xamybethx
10-01-2006, 10:46 PM
I looooove this one!

YUM I forgot about that! I use to make it all the time with chicken, yummy :)

xamybethx
10-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Let's see what I can think of that we make that's cheap.

1lb hamburger
1 onion, chopped
1 can baked beans

brown groundmeat, onions and add beans.

1lb ground meat
1 can corn
1 box mac n cheese

brown ground meat, prepare mac n cheese, add corn

Red beans and rice

1lb bag of red beans
1 pkg sausage

Cook red beans in crock pot high for about 6 hrs, add sausage aorund the 4th hr.

Swedish meatballs

1lb groundmeat
egg noodles
swedish meatball mix
follow pkg directions

Beef stroganoff

1lbs ground meat
1 can cream of mushroom
1/2 c sour cream

Brown ground meat add cream of mushroom (with 1 can water or milk) add sour cream, mix well. Serve over noodles or rice.

Sun dried tomato chicken alfredo

2 jars sun dried tomato alfredo (I like 5 brothers)
1/2 c bread crumbs
butter (not sure how much, just to make the bread crumbs a little moist)
4 chicken breasts-cubed or shredded
spaghetti noodles

saute chicken in a skillet, preheat oven to 350. Boil noodles. Add sauce, bread crumbs and chicken. Mix and add to noodles. Place in casserole dish and bake for 30mins (or until chicken is cooked). Serve!

Smothered chicken

Chicken
Bell pepper if you have it
Onion
Rice

Take chicken and dice. Saute vegetables (in a little oil) till translucent. Season chicken to your liking (should be kinda spicy...through a TINY bit of cayenne pepper if you have it) and add a little veg oil to a cast iron (or anything that isn't non-stick...you want it to stick)skillet. Heat on about med-med-high. What you want to do is make the seasoning from the chicken stick to the bottom of the skillet making a "gromese" (gra-mee-suh). After chicken is done and you see lots of "sticky" stuff (the "burnt" seasoning) you add about 1/4-1/2 c of water and simmer on low. That makes a gravy. Put your rice on and serve the smothered chicken over rice! It's good and cheap!

Pork chops in mushroom gravy

http://pork.allrecipes.com/AZ/SkilletChopswithMushroomGr.asp

Manicotti

12 LG manicotti shells
4cups shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
2 cups ricotta (or one container)
1 jar spaghetti sauce (26oz) (I buy the kind with the meat in it for this...I think it's by Ragu)
1/2 c grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

Preheated oven to 350. Spray a 13X9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Cook pasta according to directions on pkg. Rinse, drain (be careful they tend to split open but you can still use them. Place them seam down in pan once you stuff them). Lay them out on paper towels to dry.

Mix 3 cups mozzerella with the ricotta. Use a teaspoon (or I make small balls) and stuff the shells.

Pour 2 cups (or 1/2 the jar) of sauce into bottom of pan. Lay stuffed shells on top. Cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle remaining mozzerella over top.

Bake 15 mins. Add parmesan and bake additional 10 mins. Serve immediately.

Spaghetti

2 jars Ragu (any kind)
1 bag premade meatballs (I like the kind...starts with an R. They taste the best IMO. Walmart doesn't have them anymore though).
Any kind of noodles.

Through sauce and meatballs in a crockpot on high until dinner time (at least 6 hrs). Boil noodles...there you go. Easy

Bread Loaf

1 loaf of french bread
1lb ground meat
green onions
2-3 stalks of celery
tsp butter
1 can cheese soup
2 cups cheese (I used coldy/monterey jack mix)

Preheat oven to 350. Cut the top off the loaf of bread and scoop the inside of the bread out to make a bowl. Brown groundmeat in pot. Saute celery in butter till soft. Once groundmeat is browned add both soups, green onions, celery and 1 cup cheese. Pour mix into loaf of bread, top with remainder of cheese and wrap tightly in foil. Bake for 20mins. Enjoy!

Ham & Scalloped potatoes

3 tbsp butter or margerine
1 sm onion, finely chopped (1/4 c)
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 1/2 c milk
6 med. potatoes (w or w/o skin) sliced thinly (6 c)
1 1/2 c cubed ham (fully cooked)
1 tbsp butter/margerine

Heat oven to 350, Spray 2qt casserole dish w/cooking spray.

In 2qt saucepan heat butter over med-high heat. Add onions and heat about 2 min until onions are tender. Add flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 min.

Add ham and potatoes to casserole dish. Press down to make sure they are evenly spread. Pour sauce over and add tsp butter cut into small pieces over top.

Cover and bake for 30mins. Uncover and bake 1-1 1/2hr longer until potatoes are tender. Let stand 5-10mins before serving (I added shredded cheddar the last 10 minutes).

French bread "pizza"

1 pkg ham lunch meat
1 bag pepperoni
1 pkg ranch dressing mix
1c mayo
Shredded mozarella cheese

Cut bread (if it's long) into 3 sections and then cut tose in half (so the white is exposed). Cut up lunchmeat and pepperoni (or whatever meat you want. Ham and bacon bits, turkey and whatever lol). Mix ranch dressing and 1 c mayo. Spread mayo on each piece of bread (just a thin layer, not TOO thick but not sparingly. You judge). Then add meat and top with cheese. Broil on low until cheese is golden brown or bubbly. Enjoy

I think that's it. I'm pretty sure these would be $5 meals, I'm not exactly sure. Depends on what brands you buy etc, I usually by the store brand.

Sara
10-12-2006, 03:55 PM
We like to do breakfast for dinner

French Toast with gimme lean sausage (vegeterian sausage)
or Pancakes or waffles

Avocado Burritos

2 avocados
2 jalapeno peppers (optional)
4 tomatoes
1 orange, juiced (or squeezed!)
8 lettuce leaves
alfafa sprouts

In a bowl, mash and mix together the avocados, peppers, and tomatoes. Squeeze in some orange juice for sweetness. Divide mixture among lettuce leaves top with sprouts and roll up burrito style.

FitMommyOf2
10-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Oh yum, I didn't check this thread for too long! :giggle: Thanks for posting all those yummy recipes, mamas! Now I'll know what to make for dinner for a while! ;)

ce&E
10-25-2006, 09:50 AM
This is an awesome thread! I've been copying them to a folder and printing them up to have handy, I hate thinking of what to cook!

Here are some of my ideas:

Pirogues (Sp?, those frozen pasta with potaoes inside)

1 Box of pirogues
1 can of stewed tomatoes
Some Frozen Spinach
1 can of beans (we usually use white or black)

Fry up the pirogues, then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until everything is warm. We serve it in bowls as it ends up more like a soup. You may need to double for a large family but all the ingredients go on sale for cheap!

Cabbage Soup
(My friends mom calls this diet soup but I don't really know what's diet about it)

1/2 Head of cabbage (or more if you like it) chopped up
1lb of ground meat or some soy crumbles
1/2 bag of mixed or soup vegetables
1 or 2 cans of stewed tomatoes
1 or 2 cans of ground tomatoes or sauce or juice
(use 3 cans total) doesn't matter of which but one of the cans has to be a big one or just use 4
optional 1/2 bag of egg noodles

Brown meat, then either dump everything except noodles into crock pot or soup pot and cook during the day (all day for crock pot 1-2 hours is probably plenty with regular pot on stove) You can make up the egg noodles at the end and stir them in before serving. This makes a lot of soup and it is yummy. If it is too thick just add water and stir.

Samantha
10-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Another good way to stretch your food budget.

Make meatloaf with rice in it. Cook the rice first and then add it to the meat and mix well (maybe add an egg or two, to hold it all together)

Anyways, if you make it normal, but add the rice, it REALLY stretches it! When we a poor we do this quite often. A lot of times we do it totally informal and dh cooks it on the cook top and then we all stand around eating it out of the pan :giggle: Its a nice change sometimes.

AshersMommy
10-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Another good way to stretch your food budget.

Make meatloaf with rice in it. Cook the rice first and then add it to the meat and mix well (maybe add an egg or two, to hold it all together)

Anyways, if you make it normal, but add the rice, it REALLY stretches it! When we a poor we do this quite often. A lot of times we do it totally informal and dh cooks it on the cook top and then we all stand around eating it out of the pan :giggle: Its a nice change sometimes.

Huh, good idea. My SO and I enjoy making meatloaf, normally once every other week. I'll try adding rice next time!

AngelMommy
10-30-2006, 06:12 PM
So many of these sound wonderful, but my DH is sooooo picky! He doesn't like "casseroles" or his foods mixed together!

Here is a great one:

Chicken tetrazini

1 large can 98% ff chicken mushroom soup (can use 2 small cans, or regular!)
$1.50
1 box spaghetti $1.00
2 chicken breasts (price depends on bone in, boneless, or canned) about $2.00
parmesean cheese

preheat oven to 350
boil spaghetti
cube chicken and brown (unless you use canned, in which case, just drain)
(leftover chicken works great for this also!)
mix mushroom soup, about 1/4 c. parmesean cheese, a light sprinkling of onion powder and a light sprinkling of garlic powder in a casserole dish.
Add drained spaghetti and mix
Add chicken and mix
sprinkle top with parmesean cheese
bake about 1 hr or until crusty on top

Makes about 6-8 servings. (I have found it makes two good sized adult dinner portions and 4 good sized kid portions, or six decent portions)

This is the only "mixed" thing I have convinced DH to eat!!!

sarahannecloud9
10-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Huh, good idea. My SO and I enjoy making meatloaf, normally once every other week. I'll try adding rice next time!

I do that with my stuffed bellpeppers! Then you hardly need any meat at all.
:thumbsup: We love our meatloaf so I have gotta try it that way as well!!

peetred
10-30-2006, 09:01 PM
My Family's Goulash: One of my Husband's favorites,

1 can diced tomatoes
1 can italian diced tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes w/ sweet onion
Any kind of pasta, we use shells or macaroni
hamburger, about a lb or so depending on how many you're feeding

(you don't even need to give them extra veggies b/c of the tomatoes!)

Brown the ground beef and start the pasta boiling in a pot of Water w/ garlic salt and a little olive oil.

Drain beef, and put back in pan. Add all tomatoes. Simmer until nice and hot. Drain pasta when cooked. Mix all together! Voila Goulash!

rowynne
11-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Okay, thats it...I'm gonna copy paste all of these into WORD!

AshersMommy
11-01-2006, 01:35 PM
My Family's Goulash: One of my Husband's favorites,

1 can diced tomatoes
1 can italian diced tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes w/ sweet onion
Any kind of pasta, we use shells or macaroni
hamburger, about a lb or so depending on how many you're feeding

(you don't even need to give them extra veggies b/c of the tomatoes!)

Brown the ground beef and start the pasta boiling in a pot of Water w/ garlic salt and a little olive oil.

Drain beef, and put back in pan. Add all tomatoes. Simmer until nice and hot. Drain pasta when cooked. Mix all together! Voila Goulash!

YUMMY!!! Too bad my SO hates tomatoey dishes... I love all of these recipes, keep them coming!!

daisyprincess98
11-26-2006, 03:50 PM
rescuing this post from page 2!

Blackbirdlane
11-26-2006, 05:27 PM
rescuing this post from page 2!

:giggle:

naturegirl7
11-27-2006, 02:20 PM
My mom had six of us (plus my dad) to feed growing up - so I learned a lot of cheap, nutritious, and yummy meals. Most will feed atleast 6 adults. It fed our family of 8 easily - usually with the addition of a salad or additional veggie to each.

homemade sauce

2 large cans crushed tomatoes
2 large cans tomato puree
1 large can of tom. paste
seasonings - onion, garlic, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaf

finely chop and saute up the onions and garlic in the bottom of a sauce pan with a tiny bit of olive oil. Once you smell them, (YUM!) add all the cans of tomatoes. If you like chucky sauce, sub some cans diced tom or whole (squeezed before adding them) tom. for the crushed tom.
Add seasoning to taste - a handful of basil & oregano, half a handful or so of rosemary - be sure to crush it to release the flavor, a sprinkle of thyme.
Simmer - either until hot or for half the day - the longer you let it simmer, the more the herbs flavor it. Add the bay leaf for the last five minutes, and remove - or it will get bitter. For acidy sauce, a sprinkle of baking soda or sugar will help immensely.

add left over meat - pork, chicken, sausage, ground beef, meatballs, etc to make a yummy meat sauce.

This makes a LARGE amount of sauce. I will make up a pot, freeze several mason jars worth to have on hand for a fast and no cost dinner. I also use it for the week for other dishes lasagna, baked ziti, baked mac and cheese, etc. You can easily cut the recipe in half - but I love having extra to freeze.

Baked Ziti or Lasagne
1 lb box of ziti noodles
32 oz ricotta cheese
1 large package of mozzerella cheese
1 jar of sauce See above recipe or 1-2 cans of crushed tomatoes that I flavor according to above recipe.

I usually have suace in my freezer and a box of ziti or lasagna noodles in the pantry at all times, for it is just teh cost of the cheese. Boil noodles to al dente - combine in large baking dish noodles, R. cheese, M. cheese and sauce - if lasagna layer starting with sauce and then noodles, cheeses, sauce, noodles, etc.
Baked on 350 for about 45 minutes.

Easy homemade Mac and Cheese

two versions of this - with milk and with sauce

Milk

1 lb box of elbows
1 block of cheese - cheddar, jack, munster, swiss - take your pick or try a mix of several.
a splash of milk (maybe 1/2 a cup or so?)
a handful of breadcrumbs

Cook noodles to al dente. cut cheese into cubes. In Large baking dish mix elbow noodles and cheese cubes. Add milk until you can just barely see it under the top noodles. If desired, season with salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, basil, etc. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top for a crispy top.
Bake on 350 about 45 minutes, until milk is absorbed.

Sauce

1lb box of elbows
1 block of cheese - again any kind, but we prefer cheddar with this recipe
1 can of crush tomatoes or a nice free jar of sauce from the freezer :)

Cook noodles to al dente. cut cheese into cubes. In Large baking dish mix elbow noodles and cheese cubes and sauce. If using can of tomatoes, season with salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, basil, etc.
Bake on 350 about 30-45 minutes depending on how much sauce you like to add.

Homemade Chili

1 can kidney beans/chili beans
1 package of ground beef or turkey or chicken
1 can of crushed or diced tomatoes or tom. sauce or a free jar from the freezer :)
Rice
seasonings - I like chili powder and cumen, plus some onions and garlic

Chop and saute some onions and garlic in ollive oil. Add ground beef/etc. Brown up ground beef/etc - add seasoning to meat as it is browning. Chili powder adds spice and cumen adds a rich smokiness to it. I use several handfuls of each. Drain grease off of meat and return to pan. Add your choice of tomato and beans. Simmer for as long as it takes to make up the rice. Serve over rice (or egg noodles) or simply but itself along side some buttered bread or a nice salad. If you can any cheddar cheese on hand, grate it on top. YUM!

Another great stretcher is breakfast for dinner. A HUGE hit for my family as a kid, and something my family now loves too. It is quick, easy, cheap, nutritious, and a nice comfort food. Pancakes, french toast, scrambled eggs (add some peppers, tomatoes, left over ham, etc).

We would also have soup and sandwich nites. grilled cheese, egg salad, tuna, etc with a few cans of our favorite soups.

I know there's a ton of other cheap family feeder recipes - they will come to me eventually. LOL

naturegirl7
11-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Spinache soup (sorta like an italian wedding soup)

1 box frozen chopped spinache
1 box of achini or acini - it is *super* tiny pasta, any tiny pasta will work.
1 large can or 2-3 smaller cans of chicken or veggie stock
parmasean cheese
garlic and onion

saute a some chopped garlic and onion in olive oil. add in chicken or veggie stock. Cook spinache, drain, and add to stock. Add about half the box of pasta. Boil until pasta is tender. If necessary add more stock, it is a supposed to be a pretty "hearty" style soup. Serve with a sprinkling of parmasean cheese. This is even better the second day!

aprilwood11
12-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Great ideas, ladies! I'm kind of new to the forums (posting at least, not lurking:blush: ). I don't have any recipes not already listed, but wanted to say we get a box of food every month from Angel Food Ministries http://www.angelfoodministries.com/ for $25.00 and with all these new recipes I can change things up a bit. Thanks!

AshersMommy
01-04-2007, 07:13 PM
We made this tonight, it was awesome!!! You can probably use ground beef instead, but we have switched over to ground turkey, it's healthier! We also aren't as neat as the directions suggest, so you don't have to worry about it looking nice. We had corn and au graten potatoes on the side.

Turkey Stuffing Roll Up

1 - 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey ($2 a pound)
Stove Top Stuffing ($1 generic)
1 can turkey gravy ($.75)

Roll uncooked turkey out on wax paper in a rectangle shape, 8 x 12 inches. Prepare stuffing. Place on top of turkey, an inch from the end. Flatten down. Roll the meat and stuffing up like a jelly roll, using the wax paper to keep it together. Pull waxed paper off as you are rolling. Pinch the ends to seal it then pat together. Place in pan and bake for 1 hour at 350°F.

Pour gravy over during the last 15 minutes.

wiseolegoat1
01-09-2007, 05:06 AM
When the cupboards were bare, and the kids were little....(they are grown and out of the house now, and am starting over again..due in April)

Our family favorite was called rancher's breakfast.
really easy, and really cheap! All made in one skillet!

cook a panful of bacon to crisp...remove from pan, crumble and set aside. (ends and pieces were cheaper and had more smoked flavor, than packaged "strips"; use about 1 strip/person)

lower heat. Add diced potatos to bacon grease in pan, and brown, stirring to get all sides, we used one potato/person.
When potatos are soft, add one egg for each kid, and two for each grown up, beat together, add to pan, cover, and simmer till set. (we kept chickens so these were abundant!)
Add grated cheese,(about an ounce per person) and crumbled bacon....serve when cheese is melted by cutting into wedges.
yummy and filling! Quick clean up too!

Another recipe from a 1920's depression cookbook was called graveyard stew:
boil one potato per person in pot of salted water just enough to cover potatos. When tender put the potato in a large bowl and mash it a little. Add a little pepper to the potato water, mix a couple tablespoons of cornstarch or flour in cold milk..about equal to your water and add to pot to thicken. This makes a cream gravy.
pour over potato and serve. You can add just about any meat if you have any, or any veggie, but back in the depression years, there just wasn't much available! This was tastey and filling! Was often served with a side of dandelion greens or lamb's quarters (another hardy weed that grows during draughts) for a salad.
This tasted a lot like cream of potato soup when I made it, but the gravy was thicker, so more filling, and a dash of worchestershire added was really good too....the side salad of dandelion greens were bitter, so I wouldn't recommend those if you have anything else to use, tho the yellow flower tops are actually pretty good with romaine lettuce tossed with a warm bacon/vinegrette dressing! I kind of enjoyed experimenting in the old fashioned recipes, tho there is a caution...don't collect dandelion growing near roads/traffic, as exhaust fumes make for inedible plants! Also nothing with possibility of spray/pesticides!
Wiseolegoat1

dirtdartwife
01-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Wiseolegoat1- that graveyard stew sounds similar to the Bash I listed! :hugegrin: Bash is the "po' man soup" from Poland.

And your first recipe sounds awesome!!! I'll have to try that!!! :mrgreen:

laniesmommy
01-10-2007, 01:25 AM
I made lentil stew last night. It was SO yummy!

1/2 bag of lentils
6 cups of water
a few cloves of garlic
onions
carrots
celery
potatoes
salt
pepper
large can of tomatoes

I put some veggie-base in tonight, but I don't always.

Have fun!

SugarPlumCompany
02-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Taco Twist Casserole

1lb ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
1 jar taco sauce
1 16oz box rotini noodles
bag of shredded cheddar cheese
sm thing of sour cream

brown the ground beef, drain, add the taco seasoning and 1 cup of water.. let simmer.. also cook your noodles.. when all thats done. mix sour cream and a cup of shredded cheese in with your noodles.. then line a casserole dish with the noodles. put a layer of taco sauce.. add the ground beef, do another layer of sauce. top with cheese, bake until cheese is melted.

Chili Pies

can of chili
corn chips
shredded cheese

cook chili.. top corn chips with chili, add cheese on top.

dvrgrl38
02-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Here's a quick and easy recipe that my kids and dh love:
Brown a pound of ground beef
In another large pan or pot, make 1 box of Rice A Roni Mexican flavor
When rice has about 10 minutes left, add in a can of corn (drained) and a can of stewed tomatoes (drained).
After the rice is done, add the meat, so it's all mixed together. Num Num.

There are six of us that eat, so I double the recipe.

I made this last night but i didn't drain the tomatoes and it was GREAT! I will be adding this recipe to my collection, Thanks!!

mariewes
02-05-2007, 07:56 PM
This is a fun thread!

not sure exactly on prices, but they are cheap! We always buy our meat when it's buy one get one free too.

Quesdillas

1 pkg flour tortillas
2-3 chicken breast or tenders cooked and cubed
1 can refried beans
1 onion
shredded cheese

These are super simple! We just spread the refried beans on one torilla, and sprinkle it with the cooked chicken, onions and cheese- put the other tortilla on top and put in frying pan until crispy on both sides. Serve with shredded lettuce, salsa and cour cream. YUM

Corn Chowder

1 can of reg corn
1 can of creamed corn
2 cups milk
1 lbs keilbasa cubed
1 onion- cooked first
salt and pepper to taste.

Put all in pot together and bring to boil. This is SO easy and cheap. I am guessing on the milk amount...but You can eye it. Serve it with shredded cheese:)

This is a dessert, but it is so good and looks like you spent a ton of time on it!

Hazeltnut Chocolate & Strawberry Parfaits

1 box of instand choc pudding (when following directions to make, subistute half of the milk with hazelnut coffee creamer)
shortning cookies crushed(vanilla waffers work good!)
strawberries sliced
chopped almonds (optional)

Basically, you just layer all in a parfait cup. Choc pudding/crushed cookies/sliced strawberries/choc pudding...crushed cookies...strawberries..you get it! Top with alomonds. :) Put in fridge for 15min before serving.

MyGlorylife
02-05-2007, 09:45 PM
This is a great thread!!
So here is an easy, cheapy, feeds a lot one...
breakfast for dinner.

Everyone easts 2 eggs- either scrambled or fried
waffles or pancakes whichever is made
fried potatoes

If I need an easy cheap meal that I know everyone will love this is!! And everyone thinks its great when we do something out of order. Normally too I will make extra on the waffles and so then we freeze those and have them for breakfast later in the week!

By the way 5 dozen eggs cost me I think it is around 6.00 can't remember off hand
the pankcake batter for a huge bag of it is 5
and the potatoes are 3 for a big bag

Of course I do not use all of any of this for one meal- If I had to crunch the numbers I would say that the whole meal for a family of 6 probably cost me around 3 dollars- maybe less than that!

Oh and for a yummy desert that also makes things spread further.

we cut up apples and bananas and then mix with a spoon or two of yogurt. Makes the yogurt go A LOT further and you get the yummy fruit with!...Minda

mommabug42006
02-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Dappled Dumplings Fricassee
1 whole chicken I use a roaster 3.00
4 cups water
1 large onion sliced $0.40
1 medium carrot shredded $0.40
3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups 6 tbsp flour $0.20
3tsp baking powder $0.15
2 tbsp shortening $0.07
1 c milk $0.23

Dappled Dumpings
Sift 2 c flour 3 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt into med bowl cut in 2 tbsp shortening blend until crumbly, then add 1 cup milk just till flour is moistened.

add chicken water onion carrot 2 tsp salt and pepper in large kettle with tight fitting lid heat to boiling then simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs till chicken is tender
remove chicken let cool slip off skin if desired. Strain and measure broth add water if needed to make 5 cups heat to boil
add the flour to 1/2 cup cold water mix till forms a paste stir into hot broth cook stiring constantly until gravy thickens and boils 1 minute
return chicken to gravy in kettle heat slowly to boiling while stirring up Dappled Dumplings
Drop dough in 12 mounds on top of steaming chicken cook covered for 20 mins no peaking or the dumplings won't puff properly
arrange chicken and dumplings on platter and gravy in a seperate bowl

cameransmommy
02-25-2007, 03:38 PM
LOVE this thread!

When things are especially tight, we make Red Beans and Rice.

I soak a package of kidney beans overnight, rinse and put in crockpot. Cover beans($.59) with water (or chicken stock if you have any handy), add some onion, celery, garlic and a package of smoked sausage($2), let cook on low all day.
I cook some brown rice and serve with nice french bread (homemade if we are really short on $ or i just can't get out to the store) and a green salad

A variation on that is black beans seasoned with a little bit of bacon,cilantro, garlic, served over yellow saffron rice with some left over chicken that i stripped off the bones. I top that with tomatoes and peas.

bellbanzhof
02-28-2007, 06:44 PM
A couple of my favorite chicken breast recipes... Not sure of the cost...
buy it all on sale!!

Princess House Cranberry Chicken- so quick & easy!
4 Chicken Breasts
1 Can of cranberry sauce
1 Package dry zesty Italian Dressing Mix
3 tablespoons soy sauce

In baking dish, brush chicken w/ soy sauce. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Mix cranberry sauce & Italian dressing & pour over chicken. Bake another 15 mins.

Greek Chicken

Place chicken breasts, potatos (chopped into 1/4's or smaller), 1 stick of butter (chopped up), oregano, salt & pepper in baking dish. Drizzle with lemon juice. Bake at 350 for 1 hour

bellbanzhof
03-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Shephard's Pie Rocks!... a great way to use up leftovers!

Just spoon some leftover stew or leftover shredded meat (chicken, beef, pork) and cooked veggies into a baking dish and top with leftover mashed potatoes. Cover with cheese if you'd like. Bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes or until heated through. All done and yum!

I made this for dh last night using leftover pintos, stew, cous cous, mashed potatoes and cheese- basically this week's leftovers. Dh actually said it was good & asked for seconds. I said "wow- you don't usually compliment my cooking". He said "well, it's better than what you usually make". Hmmm.... I guess he didn't realize that it WAS everything I usually make!

havanadaydreamin
03-01-2007, 10:12 AM
I actually made this the other night and my picky 22 month old loved it!

I was so surprised that she ate a whole bowl of it since my DH kept on saying that she wouldn't like it.

My family LOVE this:

Sausage and rice casserol

1 roll of sausage (cost anywhere between $1 and $3?)
2 cups dry rice (makes 4 cups cooked)
2 cans of cream of mush. soup
salt, pepper and garlic to taste

brown sausage while cooking the rice, in a big bowl mix the mush soup, salt, pepper and garlic add all the ingre. to that and put into a casserol dish. Bake at 400 deg. until hot all the way through.

Super cheap! :D

rowynne
03-01-2007, 11:29 AM
YUMMY!! So glad to see we have some new recipes to try. I am making the Peach Chicken right now (trying to do it in my crockpot for a change/ease).

Luckily chicken tenders & gr beef are both on sale this week for less than $2/lb! Its the ONLY time I buy it & I always buy 8-10lbs at a time.

nextelgirl
03-01-2007, 11:55 AM
5 russet potatoes ($2?)
1 can of cut green beans ($.50)
4 cooked bacon strips ($.25?)
1/4 cup Olive oil(any oil will do)($.75?)
2 heaping TBSP Flour(pennies!)
Paprika spice
Salt
Pepper

Fry up some bacon strips in a pan. Set aside.
Peel and cut up potatoes. Boil till they are tender, but not to soft. Make sure there is plenty of water in with them after they are done boiling.
Add can of green beans
Add as much salt, pepper and paprika you like for taste.
In a separate skillet add enough oil to cover the bottom. Heat till it starts simmering. Slowly add 2 heaping tbsp of flour to that simmering oil and mix it well. You must be quick so it doesn't get clumpy. Turn off heat and dump that mixture into your potatoes. Turn it all on to a rolling boil and continue stirring. The flour/oil mix will thicken the meal. Tear up the bacon and add it.
It'll be one big pot of food. It's a Bosnian food dish and is served with fresh warm bread.

bean3
03-01-2007, 12:27 PM
This sounds odd, but it is SOOO good!

Sloppy Joes:
Brown a pound of ground beef. Drain of excess fat. Add a can of Campbell's chicken gumbo sound (the entire can). Add ketchup (maybe half a regular sized bottle). Mustard to taste. Let it simmer to cook down and meld the flavors.

My family has been making this as long as I can remember; I don't even know what Manwich tastes like!

kimsclothkids
03-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Yum Yum ! I am going to make the taco cups tonight!!
Ok, Here goes,
Cheese burger casserole:
Ingredients:
1 can cheap small biscuits
1 Cup Velveta cheese
1 Lb hamburger meat (or turkey ground)
1 Cup salsa

Place your biscuits in the bottom of a 9x9 square dish, press to make a "crust" Cook and drain your meat, stir in salsa, Layer on top of the uncooked biscuits, meat mixture, cubed cheese, meat mixture, cubed cheese. Cook like it tells you to on the biscuit can. YUMMY!!

How about "Breakfast for dinner"!
Ingredients:
Biscuits
Milk
Sausage
Flour
Salt and Pepper
Eggs

In a saucepan, cook your sausage, when sausage is cooked, sprinkle about 2 1/2 Tbls of flour over the sausage and drippings, stir until a paste is made. (Cook it about a minute for good taste) Add milk a little at a time, always stiring, When you have enough gravy to feed your family, and the gravy is thick enough, serve over biscuits. Make some eggs to go with it and there you have it!!
Oh yeah, when you start to add your milk, go ahead and cook your biscuits. They will be nice and hot when you add the gravy! YUM YUM!!

Last but not least,
Poe mans supper!
Ingredients:
Ground hamburger meat 1 lb
6 potatos
1 can diced tomatos
1 Large onion
corn
bread

All you do is get some foil, Make a hamburger patty, Cut potatos in "potato chips" thin slices, Cut onion into rings. Put your hamburger patty in foil first, then put your potatos in next, then the onions, and last your tomatos. This is a single serving thing. You make as much or as little as you want to. Fire up the grill and cook for about an hour or until the meat is cooked through. Bring it in, or better yet, have a meal outside. Give one "pouch" to everone in the family, open it up and enjoy what is inside. It is so good and such a fun way to eat! Make some corn to go with it and serve bread and butter!
Mmmmm...

I hope you like these, My 2 year old eats the heck out of all of these meals!

Sage Bebe
03-01-2007, 02:38 PM
I am going to try breakfast for dinner tonight. Brilliant why didn't I think of that.

bellbanzhof
03-02-2007, 05:56 AM
CRAB ALFREDO

1 can of crabmeat ($1.50 at Big Lots)
1 pkg. any pasta $1
1 can / jar of alfredo sauce $2.50 or less

Sage Bebe
03-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Great thread. Dinner tomorrow is coming off of this thread.

I got this off of the Kraft website, but it has become one of our "regulars".

Speedy Egg Bake

6 eggs ($0.50)
6 flour tortillas ($1)
2 tomatoes, sliced ($1)
1 cup of yellow cheese (cheddar, mexican blend, colby, whatever you have) ($1)

Scramble eggs and season to taste. Put two of the tortillas in the bottom of a pie plate. Layer with half of the eggs, 1/3 of tomatoes, and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat: 2 tortillas, eggs, tomatoes. The last layer should be two tortillas, tomatoes and cheese. Bake in 375 oven about 5-10 minutes. We usually just let the cheese melt. Yummy! Even my 15-month old loves it!

We tried this last night. I only had 3 eggs so I half it and it turned out great. There are only 2 adults and one 2 year old eating in my house the baby is not old enought. It was enough but my husband wanted seconds and we didn't have much left. So next time I will do the whole amount, and have left overs I am sure for breakfast. thanks for sharing

kimsclothkids
03-02-2007, 12:49 PM
We also love BBQ cups:
3/4# hamburger ($1.25)
1/2 jar BBQ sauce (or 1/2 can sloppy Joe sauce) ($1)
1 can of biscuts ($1)
1/2 chunck shredded cheese ($1)
1 can corn ($.50)

Yum Yum! That stuff was great! I just made it for lunch and it was yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

basylica
03-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Chicken soup:
canned chicken from sams/costco (I think it's 12oz? just shy of 1lb) (6/$10 = 1.67)
added to a wyler's soup mix in my crockpot for 4hrs. (3 dollars I believe?)
Homemade yeast rolls from a pillsbury mix, super quick and easy (I think a dollar, dollar fifty)

This makes enough food for 5-6 people IMHO, or if you have a 300lbs DH, 4 meals ;)

Cheeseburger rice with bacon :
1lb of ground beef
1-2 cans of tomato "sauce" (the thin puree, I would use 2 6oz cans or 1 10oz)
1 package of onion soup mix
4-6c rice
6+ strips of bacon
cheese (I think the original recipe calls for like 6-8oz, but I use about half of a BIG block. I like cheese!)

Brown beef, season with onion soup mix and any additional seasonings (I like to splash in balsamic or wost, etc) and tomato. Original recipe called for tomato soup mix, but I really think this manner is better. you could easily add stewed tomatoes or diced and break them up a bit if you like tomato chunks!
add rice and cheese and stir until combined, then crumble in bacon you've precooked.
I like adding it to each plate, otherwise the bacon gets soggy.

Seriously, 4 HUNGRY adults ate about 2-3 helpings worth and there was still about half this left. I'm the eldest of 6 kids/8 adults who could polish off 3 packages of hamburger helper, rolls, and veg and still be hungry, and this would definately filled everyone up and possibly still have leftovers.
Freezes and reheats ok, but you loose the creamy/gooey cheesey thing (and bacon added will be soft not crispy...I like it crunchy!) but tastes pretty darn good. DH and my sis managed to polish the leftovers off pretty easy.

It's supposed to be a mock cheeseburger flavor, so you could do a salad with it, or add in veggies....
I actually half this recipe and still have leftovers usually!! (2 hungry adults and 1 toddler who eats more than I do!)

Cresent roll egg bake thingy:
(basically a quiche)

1 pkg of cresent rolls, layed down in a 9*13 pan
eggs (5 or so)
mixed with some milk (3/4c I believe)
salt/pepper/oregano
cheese (any, I use colby jack for nearly everything so I have it onhand) approx 1-1.5c shredded

Sprinkle cheese over rolls layed flat in bottom of pad, add additional toppings and then pour egg mixture over.

Bake at 375 for 20 min.

Swiss and ham cubes is a good mixture
chedder and broccoli
plain cheese
black olives and bacon
sausage crumbles
hamburger
baby spinich leaves

Etc etc. good for leftovers :)

Tess
03-06-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm so happy this thread is still going! I got some great ideas, thanks Mamas!

Tess
03-06-2007, 09:14 AM
This seems like so much fun! I'm making the Po Man's Supper!
Yum Yum ! I am going to make the taco cups tonight!!
Ok, Here goes,
Cheese burger casserole:
Ingredients:
1 can cheap small biscuits
1 Cup Velveta cheese
1 Lb hamburger meat (or turkey ground)
1 Cup salsa

Place your biscuits in the bottom of a 9x9 square dish, press to make a "crust" Cook and drain your meat, stir in salsa, Layer on top of the uncooked biscuits, meat mixture, cubed cheese, meat mixture, cubed cheese. Cook like it tells you to on the biscuit can. YUMMY!!

How about "Breakfast for dinner"!
Ingredients:
Biscuits
Milk
Sausage
Flour
Salt and Pepper
Eggs

In a saucepan, cook your sausage, when sausage is cooked, sprinkle about 2 1/2 Tbls of flour over the sausage and drippings, stir until a paste is made. (Cook it about a minute for good taste) Add milk a little at a time, always stiring, When you have enough gravy to feed your family, and the gravy is thick enough, serve over biscuits. Make some eggs to go with it and there you have it!!
Oh yeah, when you start to add your milk, go ahead and cook your biscuits. They will be nice and hot when you add the gravy! YUM YUM!!

Last but not least,
Poe mans supper!
Ingredients:
Ground hamburger meat 1 lb
6 potatos
1 can diced tomatos
1 Large onion
corn
bread

All you do is get some foil, Make a hamburger patty, Cut potatos in "potato chips" thin slices, Cut onion into rings. Put your hamburger patty in foil first, then put your potatos in next, then the onions, and last your tomatos. This is a single serving thing. You make as much or as little as you want to. Fire up the grill and cook for about an hour or until the meat is cooked through. Bring it in, or better yet, have a meal outside. Give one "pouch" to everone in the family, open it up and enjoy what is inside. It is so good and such a fun way to eat! Make some corn to go with it and serve bread and butter!
Mmmmm...

I hope you like these, My 2 year old eats the heck out of all of these meals!

newuanda
03-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Not sure if I have seen this on here yet:

I usually can get chicken enchiladas, chicken fettuccine alfredo, and chicken quesadillas out of one boiled chicken. I just boil it for a couple hours in water till cooked, chill, cut up/shred chicken for meals. Freeze till ready to use.

Beef or Chicken Enchilades
1 large can of enchilada sauce
6-8 tortillas
cut up chicken (usually left over from boiling a chicken) or 1 pound hamburger - both need to be cooked
2 C cheese

Mix cooked meat, 1/2 can of enchilada, and most of cheese together. Spoon into tortillas, roll up. Place in 9X13 pan. Pour rest of enchilada sauce over rolled up tortillas, sprinkle with cheese. Cook at 375 till all cheese is melted and meat is warmed up (about 30 minutes).
Refried beans and sour cream are great with this for toppings.

BBQ Pork - easy way
# of pork chops that feed your family
crockpot
BBQ sauce (whatever brand/flavor you like)

Just layer pork chops into crockpot, pour BBQ sauce over, make sure all are thoroughly covered - cook low for all day or high for half a day.
Usually served with a bag of frozen veggies and some cheap dinner rolls.
If you get your pork chops in bulk and repackage in family serving size I found this to be very cheap for us - course there is just three of us.

kimsclothkids
04-19-2007, 08:42 PM
This all sounds so good a CHEAP!!

playingoutside
04-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Around my house, this was always called "Chilli Rice and Cheese Sh*t". Haha. It's a new spin on chilli rice & corn tortillas.

1 bag of Fritos (I like to use the bbq fritos)
2 cans chilli
bag of rice
shredded cheese

Cook the chilli and rice. Pour some fritos in the bottom of the bowl. Top with chilli, cheese, then rice. It's absolutely delicious, and quite filling, too.

We ate this as kids (without the rice but add chopped onion on top)...we served them in a bowl and called them "frito boats". I LOVED them!! Thanks for the memory. :goodvibes:

blissfullyblessed
04-25-2007, 03:12 PM
I've always been a meat, veggie and startch kinda cooker - so these have helped me alot to make things faster + DH is so not picky - it's nice.

Ok - so for a meat, veggie and starch kinda meal - here ya go - you can pick your sides tho :giggle:

We have a roaster now, but if you don't have one use your crock pot

whole chicken
seasonings of your choice
crock pot
tin foil

roll three balls of tin foil about as big as your fist - place them in the crock pot - clean chicken and put it breasts up on top of the foil - sprinkle the seasonings of your choice on top - cook on low for 6-8 hours - and that's it. The foil acts as a raise to keep the grease from the chicken. Do not add any water or juices to it - trust me it makes a ton of it's own. :)

Wishing4
04-25-2007, 05:57 PM
We had the peach chicken stuff last night and loved it. Can't wait to try some other stuff.

tankgirlhi
04-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Super simple tuna Casserole

2 boxes of premium macaroni (the kind this the sauce not powder) $3
Cook as normal use only 1 cheese sauce pack.1/2 cup of shreded parmesan cheese (optional)
Add 2 cans of tuna. $1
1 can of peas. .50
I serve with a crusty bread (or crackers) and fresh fruit. Feeds 4-6 adults.

:yummy:
We make that all the time, and love it. I sometimes add sauteed onion and brocolli when we feel like making it extra healthy.

beanmama
05-14-2007, 11:47 AM
:bumpsign:

Just pulling out a few recipes to try this week...anyone have any additional ones they'd like to add? :goodvibes:

armywife2002
05-16-2007, 07:42 AM
i have one thats my quick fix dont wanna cook meal. cook up some pasta- i like rotini or some small one. cut some carrots anf broccoli and saute with garli in buter til theyre soft. toss with pasta, add more butter if you want it, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese..... yummy

medicmama
05-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Meatballs and noodles

1/2-1lb ground beef
egg noodles
salt and pepper to taste

Form meatballs, fry in large pan. Boil noodles. Add cream of mushroom soup to meatballs, you can dilute it and whisk it up a bit in a bowl first if you choose. Simmer til heated thru. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve meatball mixture over noodles.

:laugh: I add a hand full or two of fz peas and a can of sliced mushrooms,maybe some garlic, if I have it. I cheat and use fz meat balls.I slice meatballs in half. This is called sweedish meat balls in my house. Not sure why?

Those same meatballs go for meatball subs also.

a_e_hunter3
05-20-2007, 11:07 PM
two good summer lunch recipes-no cooking required!

tuna apple salad

2 cans of tuna
1 apple
handful of dried cranberries
2 T of mayo-or more if you want
chopped walnuts (this is optional)
crushed red pepper-to taste
black pepper-to taste

Dice up the apple and combine all ingredients in a bowl-I also add a dash of raspberry walnut salad dressing if I have it on hand. this is quick and yummy-goes great on a sandwich or in a pita-and is even impressive for lunch guests-it impressed my MIL!

Tomato pitas

4-6 roma tomatos-guess you could use canned too
diced onion-however much you want
LOTS of basil-fresh is best, dried is ok-you can get it frozen in little cubes at Trader Joes!!
garlic-I use the prediced kind
any other herbs/seasonings you might want to throw in

combine all ingredients and drizzle with olive oil ( I sometimes also add a dash of balsamic vinegar) mix everything together

makes a nice light lunch when served in a pita

make extra and use it the next night to top pasta-can add some grilled chicken for protein

Quick and easy salsa

3 cans diced tomatoes
1 salsa seasoning packet
cilanto

we run it all through the blender
This doesn't last long at my house and its pretty cheap

a yummy, but spicy seasoning we use alot is a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce-we dump the whole can in the blender till its pureed, then store it in the fridge in tupperware to have on hand to add a bit of spice and smokey flavoe to just about anything.
without cleaning the blender, we usually then run the salsa through it for added kick!

a_e_hunter3
05-20-2007, 11:17 PM
a one skillet pasta meal-not sure of the price

1 package of bacon
1 diced onion
garlic-to taste-we like alot of it
some type of greens-kale, mustard...ect
pasta of your choice

make pasta

while its doing its thing, take your skillet, cook all of the bacon, when its done, don't drain the fat. While the bacon is hanging out on some paper towels to soak up the grease, put the onion and garlic in the skillet in the bacon grease and cook, when they look done, throw in the kale just for a minute or two until it wilts.

tear up bacon into little pieces.

top pasta with kale/onion/garlic mixture, sprinkle onion on top.

Yum!

Mickiswing
05-22-2007, 12:49 PM
I know I have more than this, and I'll add later if I remember. Wanted to say that if you buy pieces of bone-in chicken or whole chicken it's much cheaper than chicken breasts. And you'll probably find that if you shred it and use in a main dish instead of being the main dish, people will eat less of the chicken and more of the other 'stuff' :)

Creamy Crockpot Chicken

1 lb. chicken pieces, cut up $1.69
3 Tbs. butter $?
1 pkg italian dressing mix $.50
1 can Cream of Chicken soup $.75
8 oz. brick of cream cheese, cut in chunks at room temp $1.35
rice or noodles

Place butter and chicken in crock pot and pour dressing mix on top. Cook on low for 2-3 hours until chicken is done. Stir in soup and cream cheese and continue to cook until cream cheese is melted. Serve over rice or noodles. It's one of my favorite meals!

ferrferr
05-22-2007, 12:59 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I know I can't get quality chicken or ground beef for under $5. :( Not unless I manage to catch a good sale at the store. I'm this-close to going vegetarian because of the insane cost of meat anymore. :cry:

alysia101
05-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Ground beef and baked beans. Just brown the beef and then add a lg can of baked beans. Some onions and seasonings if you want. Makes like a sweet bbq chili. One of my all time faves since I was a kid. Cheap, easy, and tasty.

alysia101
05-22-2007, 02:41 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I know I can't get quality chicken or ground beef for under $5. :( Not unless I manage to catch a good sale at the store. I'm this-close to going vegetarian because of the insane cost of meat anymore. :cry:

:true:

Although produce isn't much better. If only I could live off of white rice, lol.

Diaper Change
05-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Seriously good meatloaf!

1-2 lbs of ground beef depending on how many you feed
1 box of Stouffers cornbread dressing (1 box will make 2 lbs of beef)
ketchup

preheat oven to 400.
Mix stuffing and G beef.
form into shape evenly ( so that it will cook evenly)
cover w/ketchup
for 2lbs cook for 30-35 mins or until browned evenly...I like mine pretty crispy so I usually cook for 40-45mins

katieb
05-22-2007, 03:45 PM
This is my favorite meat loaf, it came from Kraft.
2 lbs of ground beef
1 box of stuffing mix (6 oz)
1/2 cup of bbque sauce (divided)
2 eggs
1 cup water

Everything in a bowl except 1/4 of the bbque sauce. Mix well and shape into an oval loaf in baking pan. Top w/ rem. bbque sauce.
Oven 375 for ~ 1 hour

I am not much for measuring so mine tastes different everytime. This could be a great starter for those who like to add things. I like that it is very easy to prepare and doesn't take much time. Not sure on the price but I am sure that it comes close to $5.

katieb
05-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Seriously good meatloaf!

1-2 lbs of ground beef depending on how many you feed
1 box of Stouffers cornbread dressing (1 box will make 2 lbs of beef)
ketchup

preheat oven to 400.
Mix stuffing and G beef.
form into shape evenly ( so that it will cook evenly)
cover w/ketchup
for 2lbs cook for 30-35 mins or until browned evenly...I like mine pretty crispy so I usually cook for 40-45mins

Great minds think alike! I am going to give yours a try tonight. It is def easier than mine!!

Amberjoe_1
05-23-2007, 03:39 PM
ooo I wish I could just hit a button and print out this whole thread!! I love thrifty meal ideas!:lostit:

marymom
05-23-2007, 06:07 PM
OK I have to come back and read and write down all of these but I thought of my cajun pork chops and had to add but it's 3am and dh is wanting me to go night night... Urghhh this DS addiction is getting bad!!!

Cajun Pork Chops
Family size Package of PorkChops
Cajun Seasoning (.50 at walmart or the dollar store)
Aluminum Foil

Preheat oven to 375

Take the pork chops put 1 on a piece of foil... sprinkle cajun seasoning on it.. turn it over and repeat... fold the foil over the chop to make sealed packet. Repeat with all the chops. Put on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 45 minutes. When you get these out they just fall apart they are so moist. No sauce needed. Be careful opening the packet because the "sauce" will just run out.
If you want you can make mashed potatoes and use the sauce for gravy. The chops really don't need it. Open a can of veggies and you got yourself a meal.
May be a little over $5 depending on your family size... BUT still really cheap and really good.
Great Meal!

i made this last night, BIG hit!!! :thumbsup:

marymom
05-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Let's see what I can think of that we make that's cheap.

1lb hamburger
1 onion, chopped
1 can baked beans

brown groundmeat, onions and add beans.

1lb ground meat
1 can corn
1 box mac n cheese

brown ground meat, prepare mac n cheese, add corn

Red beans and rice

1lb bag of red beans
1 pkg sausage

Cook red beans in crock pot high for about 6 hrs, add sausage aorund the 4th hr.

Swedish meatballs

1lb groundmeat
egg noodles
swedish meatball mix
follow pkg directions

Beef stroganoff

1lbs ground meat
1 can cream of mushroom
1/2 c sour cream

Brown ground meat add cream of mushroom (with 1 can water or milk) add sour cream, mix well. Serve over noodles or rice.

Sun dried tomato chicken alfredo

2 jars sun dried tomato alfredo (I like 5 brothers)
1/2 c bread crumbs
butter (not sure how much, just to make the bread crumbs a little moist)
4 chicken breasts-cubed or shredded
spaghetti noodles

saute chicken in a skillet, preheat oven to 350. Boil noodles. Add sauce, bread crumbs and chicken. Mix and add to noodles. Place in casserole dish and bake for 30mins (or until chicken is cooked). Serve!
Smothered chicken

Chicken
Bell pepper if you have it
Onion
Rice

Take chicken and dice. Saute vegetables (in a little oil) till translucent. Season chicken to your liking (should be kinda spicy...through a TINY bit of cayenne pepper if you have it) and add a little veg oil to a cast iron (or anything that isn't non-stick...you want it to stick)skillet. Heat on about med-med-high. What you want to do is make the seasoning from the chicken stick to the bottom of the skillet making a "gromese" (gra-mee-suh). After chicken is done and you see lots of "sticky" stuff (the "burnt" seasoning) you add about 1/4-1/2 c of water and simmer on low. That makes a gravy. Put your rice on and serve the smothered chicken over rice! It's good and cheap!

Pork chops in mushroom gravy

http://pork.allrecipes.com/AZ/SkilletChopswithMushroomGr.asp

Manicotti

12 LG manicotti shells
4cups shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
2 cups ricotta (or one container)
1 jar spaghetti sauce (26oz) (I buy the kind with the meat in it for this...I think it's by Ragu)
1/2 c grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

Preheated oven to 350. Spray a 13X9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Cook pasta according to directions on pkg. Rinse, drain (be careful they tend to split open but you can still use them. Place them seam down in pan once you stuff them). Lay them out on paper towels to dry.

Mix 3 cups mozzerella with the ricotta. Use a teaspoon (or I make small balls) and stuff the shells.

Pour 2 cups (or 1/2 the jar) of sauce into bottom of pan. Lay stuffed shells on top. Cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle remaining mozzerella over top.

Bake 15 mins. Add parmesan and bake additional 10 mins. Serve immediately.

Spaghetti

2 jars Ragu (any kind)
1 bag premade meatballs (I like the kind...starts with an R. They taste the best IMO. Walmart doesn't have them anymore though).
Any kind of noodles.

Through sauce and meatballs in a crockpot on high until dinner time (at least 6 hrs). Boil noodles...there you go. Easy

Bread Loaf

1 loaf of french bread
1lb ground meat
green onions
2-3 stalks of celery
tsp butter
1 can cheese soup
2 cups cheese (I used coldy/monterey jack mix)

Preheat oven to 350. Cut the top off the loaf of bread and scoop the inside of the bread out to make a bowl. Brown groundmeat in pot. Saute celery in butter till soft. Once groundmeat is browned add both soups, green onions, celery and 1 cup cheese. Pour mix into loaf of bread, top with remainder of cheese and wrap tightly in foil. Bake for 20mins. Enjoy!

Ham & Scalloped potatoes

3 tbsp butter or margerine
1 sm onion, finely chopped (1/4 c)
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 1/2 c milk
6 med. potatoes (w or w/o skin) sliced thinly (6 c)
1 1/2 c cubed ham (fully cooked)
1 tbsp butter/margerine

Heat oven to 350, Spray 2qt casserole dish w/cooking spray.

In 2qt saucepan heat butter over med-high heat. Add onions and heat about 2 min until onions are tender. Add flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 min.

Add ham and potatoes to casserole dish. Press down to make sure they are evenly spread. Pour sauce over and add tsp butter cut into small pieces over top.

Cover and bake for 30mins. Uncover and bake 1-1 1/2hr longer until potatoes are tender. Let stand 5-10mins before serving (I added shredded cheddar the last 10 minutes).

French bread "pizza"

1 pkg ham lunch meat
1 bag pepperoni
1 pkg ranch dressing mix
1c mayo
Shredded mozarella cheese

Cut bread (if it's long) into 3 sections and then cut tose in half (so the white is exposed). Cut up lunchmeat and pepperoni (or whatever meat you want. Ham and bacon bits, turkey and whatever lol). Mix ranch dressing and 1 c mayo. Spread mayo on each piece of bread (just a thin layer, not TOO thick but not sparingly. You judge). Then add meat and top with cheese. Broil on low until cheese is golden brown or bubbly. Enjoy

I think that's it. I'm pretty sure these would be $5 meals, I'm not exactly sure. Depends on what brands you buy etc, I usually by the store brand.

made this Monday night and yummmmmmmmmm :thumbsup:

Amberjoe_1
05-24-2007, 01:55 PM
ok I'm busy cutting and pasting these recipes! Thought I might add one of my own... this is awesome awesome stuff!! and so simple.

1-2lbs of beef (I go with the top cuts that are cheap, or stew meat), cut in bitesize peices
1 can of cream of chicken soup (or more depending if you have more meat)
1 packet of onion soup mix

Crockpot on high for 3 or 4 hours...or low for longer. Over rice or noodles! YUMO!! :lostit:

Rosella
05-24-2007, 04:04 PM
My husband used to ask me to cook this chili EVERY SINGLE WEEK! I finally had to tell him NO :laugh: It's a variation on white chicken chili. Cook a double batch and eat it for days!

Spicy Black Chicken Chili

2 tbsp oil
1 tsp diced garlic
1lb cooked chicken breast, cut into small pieces or shredded
1 can chicken broth
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can original Rotel
1 tsp turmeric
1 dash red cayenne pepper
1 dash chili powder
1 DROPLET of Thai chili paste
cumin to taste

In medium saucepan, cook garlic in oil until sizzling, then add chicken pieces, turmeric, cayenne pepper, chili powder and chili paste. Cook until chicken is almost done, then add 1/4 can of the chicekn broth and bring chicken and spice mixture to a boil. Once boiling, add remainder of broth, both cans of black beans, can of Rotel and some cumin. Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, adding cumin to taste toward end of cooking time.

Serve with sour cream, shredded Mexican cheese, tortilla chips, and a fresh green salad. Mmmmmm!

R

Rosella
05-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Also, my mom used to make eggs and noodles - just what it sounds like. Warmed-up, leftover noodles (we usually had macaroni or shells) mixed in and cooked with scrambled eggs. You can throw in other stuff, too, like cheese, meat, veggies, to make it more of a meal. With toast, it's cheap and filling!

R

dvrgrl38
05-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Not healthy, but sooooo good and cheap!

Pasta
4-6 slices bacon
1 med onion chopped
1 can italian seasoned diced tomatoes

Fry up bacon, remove bacon, drain and crumble.
Drain all the grease except 1-2 T.
Cook onion in the grease. Add tomatoes. Add back crumbled bacon. Serve over noodles.

This is my dh's favorite pasta and I love it too!

¤Steelers_Mama¤
05-25-2007, 07:11 PM
not sure of the costs on these, but they are pretty cheap

CHILI
pound of ground beef
2-3 cans of tomato sauce (depending on the size of the can)
chili powder
rice
cheddar cheese

brown beef, add sauce and chili powder. heat til hot. serve over cooked rice. top with cheddar cheese

CHICKEN

2-3 chicken breasts (i buy em on sale)
italian dressing

cover chicken with dressing, cook in the oven

i usually serve this with rice or a baked potato

SLOPPY JOE

i don't ever measure this out.. so i make it to taste. it's supposed to be sweet. not too much of any flavor coming out...

pound of ground beef, cooked. mix in brown sugar, ketchup and mustard.

newtocding
05-28-2007, 10:42 AM
nak, so I'll just post one--We LOVE this!!

1 pkg wheat pita's (1.00)
1-2lbs chicken breasts (2.00) (I sometimes use canned), cooked--cubed or shredded
1 green pepper (.50)
1 onion (I usually omit this for ds:) )
1/2 pkg pepperoni (.50)
1 jar spaghetti sauce (my fav is Kroger brand tomato and basil--beats all the expensive ones in my taste bud's opinion!!--$1.00)

Saute green pepper and onion. Add chicken (cubed or pre-shredded). Add spaghetti sauce and pepperoni. Heat thru. Stuff into pita halves. Top with shredded mozzarella or parmesan. Good for next day lunch, too!

will add more later!!

newtocding
05-28-2007, 10:48 AM
We do Italian Chicken a lot. It is simple, but I love it.

Put 3-4 chicken breasts in a 13x9 pan, cube potatoes (I always do as many as I can fit in the pan), cover in Italian dressing (about half bottle--maybe more). bake at 350 til chicken is done. E-A-S-Y- and the potatoes need no butter or anything (IMO)--dh puts butter on everything!!

Katherine
05-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Hope this hasn't already been posted - we call it s**t on a shingle, but you could make up a more appropriate name - it's not even *my* name for it, but my parents'.

Ingredients: (for 3-4 people)
2 packages carl budding (or similar) beef lunchmeat - the small ones.
1 jar beef gravy
1 can cream of mushroom
bread
instant mashed potatos

Make desired amount of mashed potatos - I usually do 1.5 servings/person
On stove, over low/med heat - combine gravy and cream of mushroom (no water), heat and stir until blended well together.
Make two slices toast/person.
Cut up beef lunchmeat into approx. .5" squares
Cut toast diagonally, arrange around outer edges of plate - so a square empty middle area is made.
Pile mashed potatos into middle of plate.
Dump beef over potatos and toast.
Top with gravy.
Eat.

Not the healthiest meal, but cheap and filling.
Put mashed potatos

Rosella
05-29-2007, 06:31 AM
We made a few of these recipes this weekend - the beef tips in the crockpot (over brown rice and toast) with salad and the baked chicken and mushrooms, with brown rice and salad - and they were both WONDERFUL! Mmmmm...

I have about 15 I want to try!

:goodvibes:
R

dlangeweg
05-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Here's a cheap and QUICK recipe, we usually have it at least once a week

Breakfast burritos (we have them for dinner though! lol)

4-6 eggs
splash of milk
1/2 - 3/4 c salsa
fat free sour cream (optional)
shredded cheese
tortillas

Beat eggs with milk. Scramble in a frying pan. When eggs are cooked, add salsa and sour cream, stir until heated through.

Serve on tortillas with shredded cheese.

There's tons of ways to spice up this dish also; we add chipotle chile sauce, and sometimes black beans and corn. Kinda whatever you have on hand! Really super easy and the eggs are a cheap source of protien.

Denise

mevans
05-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Awesome recipes ladies!!

I love casseroles, but its hard to do right now since most of them call for a cream of something soup and/or cheese. DS is allergic to dairy, so no creams or cheese. I've thought about trying soy cheese, but its so expensive ($5 for a package) and I've heard different stories about it not melting well, etc.

Anyways, this thread needs to stay alive for sure! :thumbsup:

Michelle

jessie_25
06-01-2007, 02:26 PM
brown a pound of lean ground beef and drain
add some onion and green peas
add one can of cream of mushroom soup ( dont add water)
and mix all together
continue cooking until hot

I have no idea where my mum found this but it is one of our favourite dinners, even my hubby who hates cream of mushroom soup likes it!

GrahamBaby4
06-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Here are my few that off the top of my head I can give ya.

Meatloaf
1lb ground beef
1-1.5 cups italian bread crumbs OR oatmeal
1/2-1c Ketchup OR bbq sauce or pasta sauce
2 eggs
1/2 c. chopped onions (optional) as are any other leftover veggies you may wish to toss in - carrots, corn and others work well.

Other variations include adding taco seasonings, and stuffing the loaf with cheddar cheese or topping with cheese in the last few minutes of cooking

place in a dish shaping into a loaf (or smaller loaves cook faster)
Mix together with hands cook at 350 for 1 hr

This will serve 4 very hungry MEN or my family of 5 3 meals, use leftovers in sandwiches or heat on bread with a slice of cheese for a "hamburger"

(add sides such as green beans or corn and potatoes)

CROCK POT RED Chili
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can chili beans
1 can kidney beans
3 cans diced tomatoes (or 1 lg can and 1 sm can)- I use with green chilies
1/2lb ground beef 1/2lb stew meat (cooked prior to putting in pot- or leftover taco meat/ leftover from a roast)
1-2 packets of chili seasoning
and optional is jalapenos or green chilies

This will feed our family 3-4 meals in the winter, add fritos (or corn chips) and cheese for "frito boats", Serve with corn bread, or place on the bottom of a casserole dish, pour a jiffy mix (prepared as directed without cooking) over top and cook according to jiffy directions, add cheese for additional 5 minutes (or until melted) on the top if desired.

Green Chili (Chicken or Pork)
1lb pork (or chicken), whatever is cheapest, boneless, cut into cubes, roll in flour cook in a bit of oil on the stove.
add and saute 1 onion (chopped)
add 1-2 cans of broth (your choice)
one HUGE can of green chilies (add additional fresh if available or add more smaller cans)
one can of diced jalapenos (optional)
1 packet of white chili seasoning (usually says white chicken chili)
1 can of diced tomatoes
1-2 cans of great northern beans or other white bean

This makes at least 2 meals, freezes easily, and you can place it all in a crock pot (the larger sized ones)

Fried Rice
choose chicken or my mom used SPAM growing up
1 container of spam or 1lb of boneless chicken cubed and cooked in about 3 TBSP butter, add 1/2 c onion, cook until clear, add 2-4 eggs, scramble in the mix, add 2 C. Cooked rice. Season with Soy Sauce (low sodium is just as good) toss well.

Chicken SLOP (as lovingly called in our home)
8 Corn Tortilla shells uncooked (I have also used crushed tortilla chips)
1lb boneless chicken cooked,
1 can Drained diced tomatoes
1 can green chili with pork or chicken
(combine the last 3)
up to 3 cups shredded cheese, depending on family taste

Layer Shells, chicken mix, Cheese, Shells, chicken mix, Cheese
cook 350 for 35 minutes or until cheese is melted or bubbly (whichever way you like it)

variations include making actual chicken enchiladas out of it or using flour shells or substituting ground beef taco mix that is left over and layering.

luvmy2girls
06-03-2007, 10:40 AM
watching these for great dinner ideas! (promise to add some of my own, too!)

FancifulFanny
06-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Awesome recipes ladies!!

I love casseroles, but its hard to do right now since most of them call for a cream of something soup and/or cheese. DS is allergic to dairy, so no creams or cheese. I've thought about trying soy cheese, but its so expensive ($5 for a package) and I've heard different stories about it not melting well, etc.

Anyways, this thread needs to stay alive for sure! :thumbsup:

Michelle

could you make your own mock cream of whatever soup using soy or rice milk?

mevans
06-03-2007, 11:54 AM
could you make your own mock cream of whatever soup using soy or rice milk?

Probably....havent tried it yet. If I could, that sure would enable me to make use of more recipes!

Amberjoe_1
06-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Ok so I just made the Taco ring and it smells delicious!!! I'm trying the crockpot curry and tater tot casserole this week too. 5 dollar meal week! woo hoo!!
Guess I'll add another:

Chicken fried Rice
Cook 2-4 cloves of garlic, 1/2 onion(diced), some frozen peas and carrots (I'd say a cup each maybe?, i just eyeball it), in oil.

When the veggies are almost soft add ketchup (1cup?) and some soy sauce. Then push all that to the side, pour some oil in a fry 3-4 cups rice in the oil.
Mix all together and add 1-2 cups leftover chicken. Heat through!

It's really good!!

L2S2C
06-13-2007, 12:53 AM

hamburgar hash

diced onion (optional) *I dont use it
diced potatoes frozen or fresh, I use fresh.
1 pound of hamburgar

fry and drain hamburgar. fry potatoes, mix, top with ketchup.

broccoli and cheese quesadillas
chop brocolli, add to cheese, cook in flour tortilla

Amberjoe_1
06-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Made the creamy crockpot chicken and DH and I LOVED it! Definately sticking around in our kitchen! yay!

strollernut
06-22-2007, 09:36 AM

Meat IS more expensive down here, the most expensive of anywhere I've lived yet. I watch sales and buy chicken for $1.99/lb, and I buy frozen ground turkey instead of beef. I also buy the clearance meat at Tom Thumb (especially pork--they almost always have ribs or chops...don't buy their clearanced processed meats though, they're gross!)

Our cheapest meal is called "Eggs ala Goldenrod"

Hard boiled eggs, seperated (whites in one bowl, yolks in the other)
White sauce (homemade, just butter/flour/milk)
Toast
Paprika

Chop the egg whites and stir them into the white sauce. Spoon over toast. Crumble yolks and sprinkle over top. Top with a dash of paprika for color. Yummy, but makes terrible leftovers! Six eggs and two slices of toast per person feeds my family of three.

KeepItSimple
06-22-2007, 02:24 PM
We love this one. Cheap, easy and delicious.

S.O.P.P

INGREDIENTS

* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 6 potatoes - peeled and cubed
* 2 pounds smoked sausage, sliced
* 1 onion, sliced
* 2 green bell peppers, chopped

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the potatoes in the skillet, cover and simmer, turning occasionally, until potatoes are almost tender and a little browned, about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the sausage, onion and peppers. Cover and cook for about 5 more minutes, or until onion and peppers are to desired tenderness.

KeepItSimple
06-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Tuna melt Sandwiches with potato chips.

Canned tuna
Diced celery and onions
salt and pepper
mayo to moisten

spread on buttered WW bread
add slice of cheese and grill until toasty brown

eat with chips, veggies or fruit

spacecat1974
06-22-2007, 04:50 PM
i like to do that too. also good way to get rid of left-over chicken. and i like to add some sliced/diced bell peppers to it too.

Their jambalaya mix is pretty good with kielbasa added. Mmmmm!

Fuzzi Fannies Creations
06-22-2007, 04:52 PM

radkeller
06-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Okay, I keep getting this nasty message about not posting so I better get busy. Everyone here is so great - they say everything I would have so I usually just ' listen' and soak up the knowledge! LOL!

I've gotten so much out of this thread I thought I'd post here. Especially love the ground beef with a can of ranch style beans. Has become a family favorite.

Meat and rice dish:

Ground beef (or turkey/chicken) (1-2 pounds depending on how much you want to make)
Rice (1-4 cups cooked depending on how much you want to make and how much you want to 'thin down' the meat).
green peppers (optional)
onions (optional)
seasonings (like salt, pepper, lawrys seasoning salt, red currey powder (love it!), whatever you like)

Cook rice. While rice is cooking brown your meat, drain, and if desired saute in some green peppers and onions. Add rice when it is done. Add salt and pepper. I let each family member dish up and add their own seasoning. I usually cook enough for at least 2 suppers and maybe a lunch or two for somebody. That way it never gets boring - you can choose a different seasoning every night and parents can still have lots of flavor even if kids are picky.

What to do with leftover meat:

This is especially great with leftover steak but since this is the $5 meal thread... :laugh:

Leftover steak/pork chops/chicken/whatever (better with meat that is not ground)
Potatoes
Onion
1 can of corn
Butter
Salt/pepper/lawrys/other seasoning

Cut potatoes in slices or small hunks/wedges - something that will cook reasonably fast but not be so small it will fall apart. In a large frying pan, fry potatoes in butter (oil can be used but butter takes better and browns taters better). When potatoes are 3/4 done add in some onions - I like them cut in bigger wedges. A bit later add in you meat that has been cut in bite-sized hunks. Then add your can of corn (drained). Heat through. Along the way add salt and pepper to taste. I love some Lawrys seasoning on this one. Any other seasons that are your favorites would work too. This can stretch a small amount of leftover meat to feed a whole family. I have often combined a few too. The corn adds a yummy sweetness.

Hope you enjoy!

Amanda

mom2~3offspring
06-26-2007, 05:47 PM
my kids fav

cream corn casserol

1lb ground beef/turkey
instant potatoes i make a servin for eight~ u can also use freash potas to
2 cans cream corn

ground the meat-drain
put into bake dish
do the potatos- place ontop of meat
than dump the can or 2 of cream corn ontop

takes about 10 min to do
place in oven 350 for 30 min....

We also do sh*t on shingle a lil differently though
Ground up turkey or beef 1 lb
Mix up 2 cups of brown gravy
Do ur familys size of instant potatos

then stack potatos,meat,gravy:lostit: yummy

newtocding
07-03-2007, 03:51 PM
anyone think of anymore??

Birdof1985
07-04-2007, 01:29 AM
heres a few from when i was growing up:

Pigs in a Blanket:

get some cresent rolls
get some small hot dogs

and i assume bake according to cresent roll directions and top with cheese if desired.

Pizza Bagels:

get small (or big) bagels
cheese
pizza sauce
any other toppings

im not sure on oven temp or anything, but i assume you could do microwave until cheese is melted.

sorry i dont know exacts, we made these things when i was little.

Its not super cheap, but its easy, the following:

Homemade Lasagna

hamburger
sauce
cheese
ready to bake noodles

layer in pan and bake (again not sure on temps or times)

Homemade chicken n dumplings

chicken
frozen dumplings

cook chicken til falling off, flavor for broth, boil dumplings, mix.

OH! this isnt really tasty to some, but in the frozen section they have ready made beef and BBQ, so just buy some buns and make BBQ or buy some shells and make tacos.

ill ask about the lasagna and chicken n dumplin recipes and edit my post when i find out...

Jen

vienna
07-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Easy chicken curry and rice:

1 can of chicken breast (or you can use leftover chicken)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
milk
1 small tub sour cream
curry powder to taste
whatever kind of cooked rice you want, you can even use pasta(egg noodles work good).

Add chicken, soups, a soup can of milk, and sour cream to a large skillet and stir until blended well. Next add the curry powder, I like a lot, but you can add it to taste. Let it simmer on med/low until thoroughly heated. Spoon over the rice/pasta.

3rockstars
07-09-2007, 02:26 PM
mushroom chicken

1 can of cream of mushroom
1/2 can of milk(to dilute cream of mushroom)
chicken(as much or little as your family will eat)
egg noodles(as much or little as your family will eat)

mix cream of mushroom and milk in frying pan. heat on medium. add chicken and cook thoroughly. cook egg noodles. salt and pepper chicken and sauce to taste. cut up chicken and put on noodles and drizzle sauce over.
I don't eat meat so I just have the noodles and sauce and a salad with some protein like nuts or hardboiled eggs on top. the girls and my hubby eat the chicken. can be done with just about any cream soup.

zwickjb
07-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Broccoli Cottage Bake

1 container (16 oz.) Cottage Cheese
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed, well drained
3/4 cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 jar (7 oz.) roasted red peppers, well drained, chopped (I omit)
4 eggs, beaten
3 Tbsp. eachParmesan Style Grated Topping and plain dry bread crumbs

Mix all ingredients until well blended. Pour into 9-in. pie plate sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for 45 min. or until center is set. Let stand 10 min. before cutting into slices to serve.

undrthtblndrumng
07-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Angelhair with Artichoke Pesto

1 box angelhair pasta
1 or 2 packets of the just add oil and water pesto (found with the taco seasonings and things)
1 12oz jar of artichoke hearts

Cook pasta, prepare the pesto as directed. Add drained artichoke hearts to the pesto and heat through. Toss and serve.

worldsaver
07-14-2007, 11:20 PM
I just took out a bunch of recipes (it's been bookmarked since Sept LOL). So I'm finally adding to it. This is my version of what a gal shared on another board

I buy a whole chicken & boil it until it falls off the bone (or put it in a crock pot if you don't have enough pans).

I pull out the meat (usually just the breast meat because I don't like dark), add it into a large pot

add 2 boxes of seasoned rice (like zatarains, but generic works just as well)

I add about 6 cups of the broth from the boiled chicken. and add water as the rice soaks up the broth.

add 2 tablespoons of chili powder (and yes I mean full tablespoons LOL)

add 2 cans of chopped tomoatoes (I always buy the seasoned ones to add more flavor)

Serve with cheese on top, sour cream & tortillas

This makes an insane amount of food. We eat the first half for a few days & freeze the 2nd half to have later & that makes for a great easy dinner later on.

VirginiaOtis
07-15-2007, 04:15 PM
I love this thread... I have only gotton through the first page.. I will have to come back

chatterbox
07-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Meatballs and noodles

1/2-1lb ground beef
egg noodles
salt and pepper to taste

If you add some onion to the ground beef and saute till clear, and after following the rest of these instructions, stir in some sour cream to the sauce mixture just before putting over the noodles you will have a version of homemade straganoff

chatterbox
07-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Wow, I've been reading this thread for a while now and not nearly finished reading all the great recipes, but I have to add one of my fav's for quick easy and it should fit in the $5. range maybe a little over depending.
Brown about a lb. of ground beef, season to taste, can add onion if you want (or not) When it is browned drain off the fat and stir in a can of mushroom soup ( if you hate mushroom you can use cream of chicken or cream of celery but mushroom is the best in my opinion) put this soup/meat mixture in an oven save casserole dish. Drain a can of french style green beans, spread these on top of the meat, cover this with a layer of frozen tator tots. ( Use generic ones for less cost) Bake this till all is bubly and the tots are hot and starting to brown, sprinkle grated cheddar cheese or other favorite cheese on top, return to oven and continue baking till cheese is all melted. This is dinner in a dish and depending on how many eat it, it might make two meals.

jennyb
07-15-2007, 11:35 PM
looks like some yummy ideas - i'll have to finish reading & then see if there's anything i can add...

ShannaMarie
07-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Bumping and subscribing. :mrgreen: :lostit:

Knits on Earth
07-17-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm emailing this to myself to print at work! some great ideas!!

Knits on Earth
07-17-2007, 12:18 PM
a cheap quick couple of meals I like are
1) cook up a box of mac and cheese ( I gte the white cheddar store barnd, at 79cents a box), when it is near done cooking, stir in 1-1.5 cups of frozen mixed veggies, any kind but I usually use the mix of lima beans/greenbeans/carrot/peas/corn and then when ready drain and stir in a bit of maragrine, milk and the cheese powder crap.

my husband likes to fry up susage and cut it to pieces and add in but I don't eat susage. sometimes I cut up fresh bell peppers and add in after it's drained instead of the frozen veggies.

either way, including the milk and margarine you use it's about 2-4 dollars per dinner and serves the two adults, two big kids and two babies here.

2) 1-2can of tuna, 2 eggs and 1 cup frozen mixed veggies, toss it in a big frying pan and cook it up with a bit of margarine, takes about 10 minutes to cook. serve over rice. (sounds gross but tastes good) and is just a couple bucks a serving too.

another couple cheapies are chickpea salad, just cubed cheese and cut up veggies and apples stirred up with a can of chickpeas (high in protein and fiber!) and tuna casserole, I just cook pasta, toss in the frozen veggies before it finishes cooking, drain together. add a little margarine, mayonaise, ceasaer dressing, some garlic, dill or whatever, a can or two of tuna, sprikle with parmasean cheese or cheddar cheese or both and bake (or not) for about 45 minutes.

Amberjoe_1
07-17-2007, 05:23 PM
I just tried making this tonight and man is it gooooood!
Mexican Chicken
4-6 boneless chicken breasts, cubed (I actually used 3)
6 corn tortillas cut in bitesize squares (I would probably use 10)
1 4oz can green chiles, chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 small can evaporated milk(3 or 4 oz?)
3/4 lb grated cheddar cheese (I actually used 4 oz, all I had)

Mix it all up and put in in a dish. Pop it in the oven at 350 till the chicken is done. I served it over brown rice! Man I could eat the whole pan!:lostit:

ShannaMarie
07-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Swedish Meatballs

1# ground beef or turkey
1 small onion, chopped
2 eggs
1 C. bread crumbs
8 oz. shredded cheddar
1 Can Cream of Celery, reconstituted with 1 Can water

Mix everything except soup, roll into 1-2" balls and brown in large frying pan. Then cover with reconstituted soup, cover, cook on low for 1.5-2 hours.

Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, or noodles. YUM!

What about BLT's? Definitely not the healthiest, but they're pretty cheap, just lettuce, tomato, bacon slices, bread and mayo!

Taco Salad

1/2# Ground beef or turkey
1 can red beans, drained and rinsed
taco seasoning + water

Brown meat, drain any grease, add beans and taco seasoning plus water (as directed on package or can) then serve with:

Lettuce
Cheese
Tomatoes
Tortilla chips
Ranch or Thousand Island dressing

Birdof1985
07-24-2007, 01:20 AM
I asked this to pinned..

jen.

BusyBee
07-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Breakfast for dinner is hubby's fav cheap meal...we also make several of the other recipes already mentioned.
here are a few i didnt see already

homemade cheeseburger mac not sure if it is less than $5, but it has to be close
1/2 lb hamburger/turkey/ect browned
1 lb noodles ... we like the little shells, but they all work equally well
to cooked and drained noodles, add 8 oz of *generic* processed cheese, 4 oz of cheddar and about 1/4 cup of parmesean (totally good with just the processed cheese, but much better with the additional types) or substitute your fav (hubby loves pepper jack added to his)
add milk - I start with 1/2 cup, and usually have to add a bit more to make it nice and creamy....salt/pepper to taste.
once cheese is melted, add cooked hb. we serve with whatever veggies we have on hand

Baked Pork Chops
1-2 lbs of whatever pork chop/loin/ect happens to be on sale
2 cans beef broth, or 3-4 cups homemade/boullion cubes dissolved in water
1 onion chopped tiny (my dd wont eat onions in large pieces)
1-2 boxes any variety stuffing mix or home-made if you prefer

lightly coat pork with flour seasoned with salt/pepper - not trying to make a batter fried chop....just coat with flour, then lightly brown each piece on both sides with a bit of oil or butter in the skillet (medium-high heat) - flour will probably end up stuck to the pan-this is what you want! just trying to get brown-not done all the way.

put pork in an appropriately sized casserole dish and set aside

(medium to med. high heat) in the same skillet, add about 2 tbsp butter and add minced onions - saute until golden brown-they get sweeter the more brown they are...just stop before they are burned.

There should be lots of yummy brown bits in your skillet at this point. turn heat to med-high and add broth, simmer and stir to get all the yummy bits off the bottom (this is called de-glazing as I learned from the Food Network LOL). the flour will help the gravy to thicken in the oven =)
once all the yummy bits are mixed in the gravy, pour everything over the chops and mix around to get the liquid distributed evenly. bake at 350 until chops are no longer pink in the middle (20-45 minutes depending on thickness)

take chops from oven...of gravy is too thin, thicken with a little cornstarch/water or flour/water.....while waiting for chops to cool a bit, make stuffing.
serve a scoop of stuffing with a chop on top, covered in gravy, and whatever veggies you want. to stretch further, we sometimes make up a big batch of mashed potatoes and i make sure to add extra broth for more gravy.
make a "bed" of mashed potatoes, then stuffing, pork and gravy

Mexican Skillet
1/2-1lb hamburger
1-2 cans black beans (drained), 1 can (or 1-2 cups frozen) corn, 1 can whatever kind of tomatoes you like (dont drain)
taco mix or 2 for stronger flavor/larger batch
3 cups dry noodles (i actually make a whole box to stretch further)

there is a one-skillet recipe for this, but i cant find it right now, so here is the alternate version i usually make

cook noodles, drain
brown meat, drain
in the noodle pot, add meat,beans, corn, tomatoes and taco seasoning. add a bit of water if there isnt enough liquid to dissolve taco seasoning. stir in noodles and cook over low heat until everything is nice and hot. if you want, stir in 1/2 cup sour cream after you take it off the heat (we just put it on the side). top with shredded cheedar.
** the recipe I used to create this dish called for pinto or kidney beans-the first time i made it i didnt have either so i used black beans and it was outstanding. the next time, i didnt have black, so i used pinto and it was beyond gross (in our opinions) -same with the kidney....we ended up having sandwiches both times.......the black beans give a dark tint to the whole dish, it doesnt look the greatest, but it is very tasty.to lessen the color bleed, you can rinse the beans**

One-pot Tuna Casserole my 8yo's favorite dinner
1 lb any kind noodles, cooked in water with chicken boullion added for extra flavor-it really does make a difference in the over all flavor- drain and add
2 cans tuna, drained well
1 can cream of whatever soup you want (or make a white sauce with a flour rue and chicken broth for those no-dairy folks)
1 can/1 cup frozen whatever veggies you like - corn and peas both work great
once everything is mixed well and hot, top with shredded cheedar and italian breadcrumbs (i usually dont have any so I dont, but it is good that way) (pop under the broiler if you add breadcrumbs-makes them toasty)

all 4 of these should easily serve a large family... i make these frequently for dinner guests...hungry construction workers (are there any other kind LOL) and always get rave reviews!

enjoy!!

ShannaMarie
07-25-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm trying to use up things in my cabinets before grocery shopping again, so tonight I whipped up some red beans and rice from what I had on hand:

1 Can Red Beans
1 Can Rotel Tomatoes
1 heaping T. garlic (I buy it jarred, fresh would be cheaper!)
6 strips of bacon, chopped (I had micro-ready, but you could use whatever here, sausage, ham, etc.)
1/2 large onion

I sauted the onion and garlic in a little bit of oil, added the bacon and then the Rotel and Red Beans. Cooked up some rice (I only had white on hand, would have preferred brown!) and served it up. YUM! And CHEAP! We sprinkled a bit of shredded cheddar on top, too. Mmmmmmm!

CrunchyMama0607
07-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Cheese/Chicken Quesadillas

YOU'LL NEED:
soft flour tortillas
mexican shredded cheese
tomatos/sour cream (optional)
cooked chicken

Heat stove to Medium heat and place a tortilla on it (soft tortilla) then fill it with shredded mexican cheese. Let that melt then flip it.

Open up tortilla (cheese should be melted) and fill with cooked chicken (I use the canned kind b/c its fast and cheap) Close and cook until tortilla is a little brown. Serve with sour cream & add chopped tomatoes to it if you'd like.

(serve with rice on the side and corn) My 15mth old LOVES them! :thumbsup:

(Buy generic ;) )

ShannaMarie
07-26-2007, 05:43 PM
ok I'm busy cutting and pasting these recipes! Thought I might add one of my own... this is awesome awesome stuff!! and so simple.

1-2lbs of beef (I go with the top cuts that are cheap, or stew meat), cut in bitesize peices
1 can of cream of chicken soup (or more depending if you have more meat)
1 packet of onion soup mix

Crockpot on high for 3 or 4 hours...or low for longer. Over rice or noodles! YUMO!! :lostit:

I'm making this tonight! I did it with 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom (.79/ea) 1 packet onion soup mix (.75) and added about a 1/2 can of water, just to make a bit more gravy, since we're having it over instant mashed taters! :mrgreen: It smells SO good in my house! We're gonna have it with biscuits (.50/can) and frozen corn (1.50/bag, we'll eat half) The meat definitely put this meal over $5, but it should feed us for lunches tomorrow, too! :thumbsup:

CrunchyMama0607
07-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Turkey-Chili!

You'll need:
~1lb ground turkey
~1 can kidney beans
~1 can pinto beans
~1 can tomato sauce or paste

Cook turkey on stove (on med. heat) w/a little butter until browned. Drain. Return turkey to pot and add beans and tomato sauce/paste. Lower hear and simmer about 35min or until sauce isn't so thin on top. Serve w/crackers or cornbread ;)

MandyS
07-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Potato Soup
Wash and cut up about 8-10 potatoes. Saute a chopped up onion in a little butter or oil. Add the potatoes and water or beef or chicken broth to almost cover. Cook over med heat until the potatoes will almost mash, then add meat, such as turkey or beef sausage, or a turkey ham. Then mash most of the potatoes, leaving some chunks. The meat gets mashed, too, and flavors everything. Add milk to thin, and serve with sour cream and cheese.
Now I want some! I wish I wasn't too tired to go make it.

Mrs.Haggie810
07-29-2007, 02:07 PM
I love this thread too! Here's one I just made the other day...

Easy Cheesy Chicken Rice
2 Chicken Breast ( or whatever cut you want to use. I buy mine frozen so it is only $7.00 for about 7 or 8 chicken breasts.) (so about 2.00)
2 Cups White Rice ( I buy a big bag for 3.49 so 2 cups probably only costs $.25)
2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup (I use generic brand so it's about $.75 cents a can, so $1.50)
1/2 to 1 Bag Frozen broccolli florets (to your taste) or florets from one bunch of broccolli (about $1.00 either way unless you use 1/2 a bag and then it's $.50) You could probably use peas, or green beans if you like one of those better.
Optional A sprinkle of mozzerella cheese (about 1/4 of a cup) (The whole bag costs about 2.00 but if you only use a little it's about $.25 and you can use the rest of the cheese in other meals for the week)

Cook Chicken, Cook Rice. Add Chicken and Broccolli to rice, add cream of chicken soup and only add 1/2 the milk that is calls for (1 can.) Season to taste ( I used garlic powder, italian seasoning, and pepper.) Once it is desired thickness stir in sprinkle of mozzerella cheese. Yummy!
For about $5.00 feeds about 4-6 depending appetites and age of children!

gardengirl
07-29-2007, 05:50 PM
Potato Soup
Wash and cut up about 8-10 potatoes. Saute a chopped up onion in a little butter or oil. Add the potatoes and water or beef or chicken broth to almost cover. Cook over med heat until the potatoes will almost mash, then add meat, such as turkey or beef sausage, or a turkey ham. Then mash most of the potatoes, leaving some chunks. The meat gets mashed, too, and flavors everything. Add milk to thin, and serve with sour cream and cheese.
Now I want some! I wish I wasn't too tired to go make it.

I make a veggie version of this with veggie broth and add some frozen broccoli. I love it in the winter!

ShannaMarie
07-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup

1 Family Size Can Cream of Chicken Soup + 1 Can Water to reconstitute
1 Family Size Can Chicken and Rice Soup + 1 Can water to reconstitute
3-4 Celery Stalks
3-4 Carrots
1/2 - 1 C. dry white rice
1-2 C. chunk chicken (I only add this if I have leftover chicken on hand or a can of chunk chicken, etc.)
Chicken Boullion, pepper to season (optional)

Slice celery and carrots into small pieces. Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large stock pot and saute until tender. Add soups, water, dry rice, and chicken (optional) and season as desired. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serve with warm crusty french bread. YUM. So good on a rainy or chilly day.

Mrs.Haggie810
07-30-2007, 08:15 PM
O.k. I was so excited to share this with you guys cause it is sooo yummy! I made this for dinner tonight! I think I will start making it more often!

Alfredo Chicken Pizza

1 Chicken Breast or 1 can cooked chicken breast ($1-$2)
1 Jar pre-made Alfredo sauce, you could make your own, but this is probably cheaper and easier) ($1.67 for generic brand)
About 1/2-3/4 cup shredded mozzerella cheese ($.75)
About 1/2-3/4 cup shredded colby jack cheese ($.75)
1 package store brand pizza crust ($.33) at Walmart
1/4-1/2 cup bacon bits (probably $.10 I bought a jar or Hormel for $1.46 but you could use leftovers or skip it, but I think it makes it really good! You only use about 1/10 of the jar so you could use the rest for salads, and other dinners)
*Optional* 1/2-3/4 of a cup frozen spinach($.75)

Pre-cook the chicken breast (I cook mine in a frying pan almost covered with water (from frozen) until the water is done and then it's done!)
While the chickens cooking, preheat the oven according to the pizza crust directions, mix the crust according to the directions, then while your crust is resting (mine had to rest for 5 min.) cut up your chicken into about 1/2 inch square pieces (roughly) After dough is done resting, press it onto a cookie sheet or pizza pan (I used a vented pizza pan.) Spread the Alfredo sauce on the crust to your liking, I used about 1/4 to 1/3 of the jar. Then spread some spinach on the sauce if you're using it. Next cover thoroughly with colby jack cheese. Next comes the chicken, then a sprinkling of bacon, then cover with the mozzerella cheese. Last is another light sprinkling of bacon. I also melted some butter, mixed it with garlic powder and italian seasoning and brushed it on the crust. Then I very lightly sprinkled some italian seasoning on the pizza. Bake according to pizza crust directions, and enjoy!! We did! Serves 3-4 adults depending on appetites! I was full from two pieces, but DH ate 4! It made 8 total.

faithsnana
07-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Stir fry

2 Chicken breasts cubed (stew beef or sausage works too)
1 bag of frozen stir fry veggies...there are a few choices at the store
1 to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
3 to 4 tablespoons of soy sauce - more or less if you'd like
pick your spices - garlic, allspice, curry...etc
rice or noodles

Cook meat, drain, add as much water as you want to make a sauce. I use a lot since we like sauces. Add the cornstarch and stir to make sure it dissolves properly. Add the veggies, soy sauce and your spices. Let the water boil a bit to make a thicker sauce, but keep stirring and taste test as you go along for spiciness. For thicker sauce add more cornstarch. Cook for about 10 minutes. Serve over rice or noodles. We have this often in different variations....very yummy.

sjscnjs
08-01-2007, 10:31 PM
thank u for this link!

mommaliberal
08-02-2007, 07:16 AM
This is what I made last night out of desperation. I ruined our homemade pizza (don't ask, lol)
Grill 2-3 chicken breasts, cover with foil to keep warm, set aside
Meanwhile, boil 1/2 box of pasta (I used fettucini)
Heat up 1 can of cream of chicken soup per directions on can
When pasta is ready and soup is hot, divide pasta into however many servings you need.
Slice the grilled chicken breasts and evenly distribute over pasta
Ladle however much soup over the pasta/chicken breasts you desire. Serve.

SonitasTreasures
08-02-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm gonna LOVE this thread!!! LOL
We are a family of 4
hubby, me, 3 year old, 8.5 month old

Our old stand by for cheap and in a huge hurry in a messy kitchen dinner is this

1 package egg noodles or wacky mac ($1)-cook as directed
1 jar GV (Walmart brand) Alfredo sauce ($1.50)
6 pieces loaf bread (<$1)
with butter/garlic/parsley (always on hand)
Salad ($1 for one night's worth of salad for us)

SonitasTreasures
08-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Another favorite tip I have for saving money is this--a basically free dinner!!

Keep a freezersafe bowl in your freezer. After dinner each night put your left over veggies in that bowl. Every week or two (A once a month at the very least) Make soup from that bowl. (you can also add your leftover meat if you wish)

Dump the contents in a big pot with some beef or chicken broth and/or tomato sauce and/or diced tomatoes and/or water and add meat if you wish.

If you need to beef it up some add some noodles, rice or instant potato flakes.

Basically it cost a can or two of tomatoes and whatever meat you add to it

SonitasTreasures
08-02-2007, 12:43 PM
All American Menu

This is one of our favorite meals. I hope you
all will enjoy it.

MENU:
Blackened Burgers
Baked Fries
Southern Slaw
Oreo Pudding Cups

SHOPPING LIST:
All Beef Patties (Walmart makes some, I pay $7 for 12 patties)
Blacken Seasoning (found with spices)
A1 Steak Sauce
Hamburger Buns
Onion
Tomato
Lettuce
Potatoes
Cabbage
Oreo's
Vanilla Pudding Mix
Hot Fudge
Whipped Topping

1. Make Pudding Mix according to package directions. Pour into cups.
Top each cup of pudding with one crushed Oreo Cookie. Place in the
fridge to set.

2. Cut Potatoes into fries. Place on cookie sheet. Spray potatoes
lightly with cooking oil. Sprinkle with seasoning salt or Mrs. Dash or
Nature's Seasoning. Bake in the oven until done.
(For an interesting twist use sweet potatoes and use spray butter
instead of oil. Sprinkle with mixture of brown sugar, nutmeg and
cinnamon. Serve with plain or vanilla yogurt for dipping!)

3. Spray each Beef Patty with Cooking Oil and sprinkle with blackened
seasoning. Toss them on the Foreman Grill (Or the real grill if you
prefer)

4. Spray Hamburger Buns with Parkay Spray Butter. Be sure to spray each
bun inside and out!YUM! (Spray Butter adds no calories or fat!!!)

5. Slice 1 Onion, 1 tomato, and peel off a few lettuce leafs to top
burgers.

6. By this time the burger should be done and you can remove them from
the grill and place the buttered buns on the grill until desired color
is reached.

7. Cut Cabbage into very fine strips or use a cheese grater. Add Mayo
and Nature's Seasoning (Salt and pepper will do just fine if you can't
find or don't have Nature's Seasoning)

8. Mix 1/3 cup A1 sauce, 1/3 cup Ranch and 1/3 cup Mayo for the burger
sauce.

9. Assemble Burgers. Top with Onions, Lettuce, Tomato, and A1 Mixture.
Serve with Slaw on the burger or on the side. Add a side of fries and
some carrot and celery sticks.

10. When finished enjoying the burgers it's time to assemble the Oreo
Pudding Cups. Top each pudding cup with a spray or dollop of Whipped
topping (depending on the type you prefer) and drizzle with 1 tsp hot
fudge. Serve and Enjoy!

This is a simple dinner the whole family will enjoy and can be prepared
in 30 minutes from start to finish!

SonitasTreasures
08-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Crockpot Salsa Chicken

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 0 Minutes
Low Fat

This is such an easy recipe to throw together, but your family will
appreciate a hot, home cooked meal.

Ingredients:

skinless, boneless chicken breasts (even frozen)
1 or 2 jars of chunky salsa
1 pkg frozen green beans
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms or can mushrooms

Directions:

Put the chicken in the crockpot (whether fresh or frozen) and pour a
jar of salsa over the top. Add a little water to the jar to get the
rest of the salsa out and put that in the pot too.

If you want veggies, add them now. Turn the crockpot on high and let
cook for 5-6 hours. Check chicken to be sure it's done.

This is great served over rice or plain.

You can add Rice to crock pot with extra water, if you like. But I
prefer to fix it separate.

SonitasTreasures
08-02-2007, 01:18 PM
BRUSCHETTA CHICKEN BAKE

1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. Salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1 cup KRAFT Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Preheat oven to 400°F. Place tomatoes with their liquid in medium
bowl. Add stuffing mix, water, salt and garlic; stir just until
stuffing mix is moistened. Set aside.

Place chicken in 13x9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with the basil and
cheese. Top with the stuffing mixture.

Bake 30 min. or until chicken is cooked through.

dirtdartwife
08-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Keep a freezersafe bowl in your freezer. After dinner each night put your left over veggies in that bowl. Every week or two (A once a month at the very least) Make soup from that bowl. (you can also add your leftover meat if you wish)
This has got to be one of the BEST ideas I've ever heard of for left over veggies. We always have left over veggies, but it's NEVER enough for more than one (barely one) serving! And I don't want to throw it away because it really makes me feel like I'm wasting food. So THANK YOU for a wonderful idea!!!!!! :thumbsup:

CrunchyMama0607
08-02-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm gonna make some BBQ Cups tomorrow :drool: If I remember to get DH to pick up some biscuits :giggle:

CrunchyMama0607
08-02-2007, 09:14 PM
All American Menu

This is one of our favorite meals. I hope you
all will enjoy it.

MENU:
Blackened Burgers
Baked Fries
Southern Slaw
Oreo Pudding Cups

SHOPPING LIST:
All Beef Patties (Walmart makes some, I pay $7 for 12 patties)
Blacken Seasoning (found with spices)
A1 Steak Sauce
Hamburger Buns
Onion
Tomato
Lettuce
Potatoes
Cabbage
Oreo's
Vanilla Pudding Mix
Hot Fudge
Whipped Topping

1. Make Pudding Mix according to package directions. Pour into cups.
Top each cup of pudding with one crushed Oreo Cookie. Place in the
fridge to set.

2. Cut Potatoes into fries. Place on cookie sheet. Spray potatoes
lightly with cooking oil. Sprinkle with seasoning salt or Mrs. Dash or
Nature's Seasoning. Bake in the oven until done.
(For an interesting twist use sweet potatoes and use spray butter
instead of oil. Sprinkle with mixture of brown sugar, nutmeg and
cinnamon. Serve with plain or vanilla yogurt for dipping!)

3. Spray each Beef Patty with Cooking Oil and sprinkle with blackened
seasoning. Toss them on the Foreman Grill (Or the real grill if you
prefer)

4. Spray Hamburger Buns with Parkay Spray Butter. Be sure to spray each
bun inside and out!YUM! (Spray Butter adds no calories or fat!!!)

5. Slice 1 Onion, 1 tomato, and peel off a few lettuce leafs to top
burgers.

6. By this time the burger should be done and you can remove them from
the grill and place the buttered buns on the grill until desired color
is reached.

7. Cut Cabbage into very fine strips or use a cheese grater. Add Mayo
and Nature's Seasoning (Salt and pepper will do just fine if you can't
find or don't have Nature's Seasoning)

8. Mix 1/3 cup A1 sauce, 1/3 cup Ranch and 1/3 cup Mayo for the burger
sauce.

9. Assemble Burgers. Top with Onions, Lettuce, Tomato, and A1 Mixture.
Serve with Slaw on the burger or on the side. Add a side of fries and
some carrot and celery sticks.

10. When finished enjoying the burgers it's time to assemble the Oreo
Pudding Cups. Top each pudding cup with a spray or dollop of Whipped
topping (depending on the type you prefer) and drizzle with 1 tsp hot
fudge. Serve and Enjoy!

This is a simple dinner the whole family will enjoy and can be prepared
in 30 minutes from start to finish!

OMG Im drooling!!! I copied/pasted that and saved it! THANKS!! :)

CrunchyMama0607
08-03-2007, 02:47 PM
:bumpsign:

ShannaMarie
08-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Another way to make breakfast for dinner even cheaper is to use homemade bread!

We're having French Toast out of homemade WW bread tonight (which is great, because I can slice it THICK!), along with bacon and some hash browns. :)

CrunchyMama0607
08-03-2007, 05:30 PM
yummy!!

Cream of Celery Chicken (buy generic)
INGREDIENTS:

* 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
* 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
* 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup
* 1 cup rice
* 4 to 6 chicken breast halves
* few slivers of butter

PREPARATION:
Mix rice with soups. Spray bottom of casserole dish with cooking spray and place chicken breasts on bottom. Top with soup and rice mixture and add a few slivers of butter to the top. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until chicken is tender and rice is done.

:drool:

CrunchyMama0607
08-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Made the BBQ Cups w/corn...and I used homemade biscuits b/c I didn't have any canned.....DELICIOUS! :drool:

CrunchyMama0607
08-04-2007, 01:40 PM
"Western Mac"

YOU'LL NEED:
Big box elbow macaroni
ketchup
chili powder
salt/pepper

Measure out however much macaroni you need, cook/drain. Then add alot of ketchup to it w/some chili powder, salt/pepper then stir and cook until boiling. Turn off & enjoy! Add as much chili powder as you want, according to how spicy ya like it :thumbsup:

ShannaMarie
08-04-2007, 06:59 PM
I was trying to throw something together tonight, wanted soup since it's rainy and cool today! It turned out so good, I thought I'd share it here.

Easy Minestrone

4 Carrots, sliced
4 Celery stalks, sliced
onion and garlic (I used dried minced onion and jarred garlic)
1 can or jar spaghetti sauce
2.5ish spaghetti sauce cans of water
1 can Kidney Beans
1 C. dry rice
beef boullion

I cooked the carrots, celery and garlic in a bit of oil in a large stockpot until they were almost soft, then dumped in the spaghetti sauce and water, 2 TBS. Beef boullion, a sprinkle of dried minced onion, the dry rice, and the beans. Simmered for about 30ish minutes.

I only wish I had made some bread today to go with! :)

CrunchyMama0607
08-04-2007, 07:04 PM
yummy!! very creative!

CrunchyMama0607
08-04-2007, 07:06 PM
My Creation :p

Ingrediants:
~2 peices chicken, diced up
~1 can cream of celery
~1 cup rice
~biscuits (i made my own baking powder ones)

Cook chicken until done & rice (seperate) then turn off heat and dump can of cream of celery mixed w/1 can water into pot. Stir then toss it all in cassarole dish. Next, layer biscuits on top on cassarole and put in the oven on 350. Cook about 20min. :thumbsup:

CrunchyMama0607
08-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Cream Corn Cassarole
1 can cream style corn
1 egg, beaten
1 or 2 tbsp. milk
1/4 c. cornmeal
Salt
Pepper

Mix above ingredients. Pour into a casserole dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Test with knife, if it comes out clean it's done.

***serve w/instant potatoes and cornbread*** :thumbsup:

vanillabean
08-09-2007, 03:57 PM
This one was created from things i had on hand. This was cheep for us as we had some smoked sausage in the freezer I had to use up.

Sausage Mix up

6 smoked sausages
3-4 potatoes
2-3 Carrots
1 large onion
1 bell pepper

cut the sausage into slices. Cut veggies into cubes (about 1inch). start with oil in the fry pan. Throw in the carrots, potatoes and onions. Medium for about 10 min. Put sausage and peppers on top about another 10 min. Sir. Cook until veggies are tender and browned. Its a one pot meal. Oh and salt and pepper

i actually only made it with sausage potato and carrot. It's all I had on hand. Still really good.

amcess721
08-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Chicken Packets - My hubby LOVES these! (They're in the oven right now)

2 cups cooked chicken (I just use 2 chicken breasts that I get in the big bag from Aldi's - whole bag costs $6... so 2 pieces is maybe $1.50?)
1/4 cup onion
3 ounces cream cheese softened - 8 oz is ~$1 so... this is less than 50cents
2 tablespoons milk
S+P to taste
2 containers of refrigerator crescent rolls (aldi's for ~75cents each)

Mix cooked chicken, chopped onion, cream cheese, milk and S+P together in bowl.
Open crescent rolls - they will be triangle shaped, but leave them with 2 triangles together and smoosh the perforation together so you have a total of 8 rectangles.
Spoon ~1/4 cup mixture onto each rectangle.
Close up packets by bringing all edges together.
May brush with melted butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs (I don't though).

Bake at 350degrees for ~20 minutes...

YUMMY!

ShannaMarie
08-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Chicken and yellow rice

Boil 2 chicken quarters (maybe $2 tops) in about 6-8 cups of water. Until meat is cooked through, about 30-45 minutes.

Remove meat from bone in small pieces.

Add 1 family size package of yellow/saffron rice($2) into the same water that you cooked the chicken in. Simmer till rice is tender.

I usually serve with Sweet corn muffins (.25 a box plus 1 egg and milk) And a can of baby peas. Feeds 4 or more!! MY DH will eat 2 or 3 bowls! It is his fav dinner. :goodvibes:

I made this the other night and should have doubled it. Both kiddos loved it, and DH had two huge bowls! :thumbsup: Definitely a keeper!

jennyb
08-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Another way to make breakfast for dinner even cheaper is to use homemade bread!

We're having French Toast out of homemade WW bread tonight (which is great, because I can slice it THICK!), along with bacon and some hash browns. :)

...plus ... homemade bread always tastes SO MUCH BETTER and is the perfect texture for french toast!!!

love this thread!!!

Amberjoe_1
08-11-2007, 08:01 AM
:mrgreen: Hamburger Ranch Pie:mrgreen:
One Pie crust
1lb hamburger
can of corn
Leftover mashed potatoes
cheese(if you like)
Powdered Ranch seasoning

Brown hamburger add ranch seasoning to taste. Put this in the pie crust, add corn, mix your mashed potatoes with some of the ranch dressing..spread this over the corn. Sprinkle with cheese. Pop in the oven and bake according to pie crust.
(This can also be made without the ranch or the cheese...but it makes it taste great!..also try different ingredients!):thumbsup:

ShannaMarie
08-11-2007, 03:53 PM
These might not all be under $5, but close. Plus, they're tried and true favorites, and we always have enough leftover for DH's lunch the next day. :)

Cheeseburger Chowder

1/2# ground beef
1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup
1 can chopped green chiles
1 3/4 C. milk (use powdered, way cheap!)
1 cup frozen hash brown potatoes
1 T. taco seasoning
1 T. dried minced onion
1/2 tsp. chili powder
Optional toppings/garnish: Crushed corn chips, shredded monterey jack or cheddar cheese, chopped green onion

Brown beef in large saucepan until no longer pink, drain. Stir in soup, potatoes, chiles taco seasoning, onion and chili powder until blended. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 5 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with crushed corn chips, shredded cheese, and chopped green onion if desired.

Swedish Meatballs

1# ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 eggs
1 C. bread crumbs
8 oz. shredded cheese
1 can cream of celery soup and 1 can water
Hot cooked rice, mashed potatoes or noodles

Mix everything except soup, form into 1-2" balls. Brown in large frying pan, then cover with reconstituted soup and cover, cook on low 1-2 hours. Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, or noodles.

Three step stroganoff

1# boneless round steak, thinly sliced
1T. vegetable oil
1/2 C. water
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1/2 C sour cream (do not use reduced fat or fat free!)
Hot cooked noodles or mashed potatoes

In larbe skillet, brown beef in oil until no longer pink. Stir in soup, water & onion soup mix. Reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Stir in sour cream; heat through, but don't boil.

Serve over noodles or taters.

CrunchyMama0607
08-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Hot Dog Casserole
3 c. Bisquick mix
1 c. milk
1 pkg. hot dogs (bite sized or reg.)
Margarine
American cheese, 4 or 5 slices

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix Bisquick and milk until blended. Divide dough in half. Grease or spray a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Layer 1/2 the dough in the dish, and bake 5 minutes at 450 degrees. Remove from oven. Layer in dish the following: a few pats of margarine, hot dogs (bite sized or cut up regular size), cheese slices and top with remaining dough and butter pats. Bake 8-10 minutes more or until brown. Serve hot.

:thumbsup:

CrunchyMama0607
08-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Hamburger Veggie Mix-Up Recipe #210170
4-6
servings

time to make 25 min 5 min prep

1 lb lean ground beef
1 (8 ounce) can corn (I prefer sweet corn)
season salt (to taste)
1 (8 ounce) can green beans (optional)
2 garlic cloves (optional)
1 (8 ounce) can black beans (optional) (I used refried beans)
1 (12 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (optional) (fresh tomatoes work too)
4-6 flour tortillas (a friend of mine does this recipe and puts it into flour tortilla or lettuce as a wrap and they were)

1. Brown the meat as you would for spaghetti. As the meat is browning, I usually add in a good amount of season salt (we are salt lovers) and the garlic.
2. Once the meat is well cooked, add in the veggies.
3. Cook on a med-low heat for about 10 mins to make sure that all the meat is done and the veggies soak up the juices from the meat.
4. If you use a lean meat, you don't have to drain the meat, but my mom would buy 80% lean and she would drain the meat before adding the rest of the stuff. It's completely up to you!
5. If you want to make it spicier, add taco seasonings or any other kind of seasons you prefer, this is very versatile!

© 2007 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com

JackieLyn
08-13-2007, 10:14 AM
We tried Bash the other night and it was awesome! Corbin ate it all up and asked for seconds!
Here is something I might be able to contribute...
if you have left over mashed potatoes (or fresh) we make flying saucers...
put some lunch meat or leftover sliced meat on a cookie sheet put a scoop of mashed potatoes on top and then a slice of cheese over that and heat it up in the oven at 350...it's pretty good!

hippydippymama
08-13-2007, 08:33 PM
This is a great recipe that my mom made often when we were growing up. For some reason, dads seem to have an aversion to it: my dad hated it, and my DH doesn't like it either (but he'll eat it!) But I love it and kids do too.

1 lb. ground turkey or pork (pork tastes better but turkey works great too)
1 bag frozen veggie mix (I like to get an additional bag of frozen broccoli since most mixes don't have broccoli in them)
Rice
Worchestshire sauce (optional)
Parmesan cheese (optional)
Butter (optional)

Fry the turkey or pork in a pan until cooked. Add a splash of Worchestshire while cooking for a little zing. While meat is cooking, boil veggies and prepare rice (make enough rice so each person eating has a serving).

After everything is cooked, you can throw it all together or leave it seperate so everyone can dish out the amount of each item they want. Mix everything together on your plate with a little butter to make things moist. Top with Parmesan cheese.

This is really simple and SO good. We're having it this weekend! :mrgreen:

CrunchyMama0607
08-15-2007, 05:25 PM
This is a great recipe that my mom made often when we were growing up. For some reason, dads seem to have an aversion to it: my dad hated it, and my DH doesn't like it either (but he'll eat it!) But I love it and kids do too.

1 lb. ground turkey or pork (pork tastes better but turkey works great too)
1 bag frozen veggie mix (I like to get an additional bag of frozen broccoli since most mixes don't have broccoli in them)
Rice
Worchestshire sauce (optional)
Parmesan cheese (optional)
Butter (optional)

Fry the turkey or pork in a pan until cooked. Add a splash of Worchestshire while cooking for a little zing. While meat is cooking, boil veggies and prepare rice (make enough rice so each person eating has a serving).

After everything is cooked, you can throw it all together or leave it seperate so everyone can dish out the amount of each item they want. Mix everything together on your plate with a little butter to make things moist. Top with Parmesan cheese.

This is really simple and SO good. We're having it this weekend! :mrgreen:

oooooh I have all that stuff! YAY, maybe ill make it soon :drool:

CrunchyMama0607
08-16-2007, 07:14 PM
made tator tot cass. tonight and used cream of celery :drool: SO good!

Tess
08-18-2007, 07:53 AM
OK, this is a really easy one and I'm pretty sure it's right around $5 to make.

two tablespoons of butter
three red potatoes diced in small pieces
1 small zuchinni diced into small pieces (we have so many from the garden right now that this is pretty much free, otherwise, I'd omit unless there's a sale.)
1/2 an onion diced into small pieces
1 Kielbasa Sausage cut into thin slices
1 1/2 pounds of washed cabbage cut into thin strips

In a big pot melt the butter over high heat and add the next three ingredients. Saute until the potatoes and zuchinni are getting soft. Add the Kielbasa and saute for a few minutes. Add the Cabbage and saute, then cover and cook for 5-10 minutes on medium-low heat. DELICIOUS! Serve with buttered bread.

CrunchyMama0607
08-18-2007, 05:40 PM
My potato soup recipe: (my fam loves it)

-6 med potatoes, peeled and diced
-dried chives
-pepper/salt
-butter
-milk

1.) Dice up potatoes and boil until tender then drain and mash.
2.) Return to pot and add about 1cup of milk, 1 teaspoon butter/marg. Sprinkle with chives, salt and pepper.
3.) Simmer until soup has thickened. I always serve mine w/corn bread or cornbread muffins :p Yummmmm!

CrunchyMama0607
08-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Less than $5 B'fast!

Maple Oatmeal

Cook oatmeal according to package directions except substituting milk for ¼ of the water. During final minutes of cooking, stir in 1 tbsp of maple syrup per serving. Serve while hot. :mrgreen:

rebelbets
08-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Southern Hamburger Steak with Onions and Gravy

* 1 pound ground beef
* 1 egg
* 1/4 cup bread crumbs
* 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
* 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 cup thinly sliced onion
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 cup beef broth (I save money by making my own broth using bouillon cubes)
* 1 tablespoon cooking sherry
* 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce. Form into 8 balls, and flatten into patties.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the patties and onion in the oil until patties are nicely browned, about 4 minutes per side. Remove the beef patties to a plate, and keep warm.
3. Sprinkle flour over the onions and drippings in the skillet. Stir in flour with a fork, scraping bits of beef off of the bottom as you stir. Gradually mix in the beef broth and sherry. Season with seasoned salt. Simmer and stir over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, until the gravy thickens. Turn heat to low, return patties to the gravy, cover, and simmer for another 15 minutes.

*I double the gravy and serve over mashed potatoes.

------------------------

Chicken Divan

2 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
1/3 cup milk
shredded cheese (I use cheddar)
frozen chopped broccoli
breadcrumbs

Cover the bottom of a casserole dish with a layer of frozen broccoli. Next, layer the shredded chicken evenly on top; follow that with a layer of cheese. Mix soup and milk in separate bowl (season with garlic, pepper, onion powder, whatever) and drizzle evenly over the top. Top with a layer of breadcrumbs. Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes or until broccoli is cooked through. Serve over rice.

----------------

Authentic New Orleans Red Beans and Rice
This is my standard meal I take to families who've just had a baby. It's super cheap, high in iron, and it makes a ton. And it freezes wonderfully and is absolutely delicious. It is one of my most often-requested recipes.

1 pound dry red kidney beans
1 bell pepper, chopped
3-4 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup dried parsley
1 Tbsp. Sugar
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1/4 cup oil (I prefer olive oil)
*1 chicken bouillon cube (optional)
*1 can/bottle of beer (optional, but adds great flavor)
Sausage of your choice (I use the cheap smoked at Wal-Mart)

Soak beans in cool water overnight. The next morning, drain beans and rinse well. Throw them into your crock pot with all of your ingredients except your sausage. Cover with water. I cook mine on HIGH all day long, but my crock pot is as old as the hills. When I've fixed them in a new crock pot, cooking all day on LOW has been sufficient.

After 8 or so hours, stir your beans really well, mashing some of them as you can (they should be nice and soft). This will make your beans nice and creamy. Mashing is key. Add more liquid if necessary.

Chop your sausage into little disks and saute on the stove until nicely browned. Add the sausage to your beans (I add the sausage grease, too, as it's yummy), stir and you're set. Serve over steamed rice, and be sure to have plenty of cornbread on the side.

*I've made this plenty of times without the sausage and chicken broth, and it was just as good. You can definitely make it totally veggie without sacrificing flavor.

-------------------

Salmon Croquettes
My 19-month-old son loves these!

1 14-oz. can salmon, drained, flaked and deboned
3/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
2 eggs
1 tsp. garlic powder (I use 1.5 tsp, but I like a lot of garlic)
1/2 tsp. onion powder or 1 finely chopped onion
1.5 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. dill weed (I sometimes omit)
salt, pepper
splash of milk
a few generous shakes of parsley flakes

Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix thoroughly. Form into smallish patties and fry in a few tablespoons of olive oil, 2-3 minutes on each side or until nicely browned.

If I feel like being healthier, I make salmon loaf instead of croquettes. Just omit the Italian breadcrumbs and add 2 cups rolled oats instead. Mix everything together and press into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for an hour.

CrunchyMama0607
08-18-2007, 08:16 PM
yumm, i love hamburger steak! thanks!! :)

mamatutugirls
08-19-2007, 11:54 AM
I don't know the real name of this so I call it my honey chicken recipe.

I usually buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts and then take a few out the night before I need them...

preheat oven 350.

you will need:
4 chicken breasts
1/2stick butter
1/2c honey
1/4-1/2 c. mustard. yellow or spicy. I mix both together
2tsp. salt
2tsp. curry powder, I use a tad more

melt butter in pan, stir in rest of ingredients and add chicken. Coat chicken with mixture and bake in oven at 350 for about 35 minutes. Serve over jasmine rice, or any kind you would like.
I usually do peas and salad as well....

These are ingredients most have on hand usually it's the chicken you have to buy which is cheap.:thumbsup:

CrunchyMama0607
08-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Taco-Rice Cassarole:
1 lb. ground beef
1 sm. green pepper, diced
2 med. tomatoes, diced
1 envelope of taco seasoning
4 c. cooked rice
4 oz. cheddar cheese

Brown hamburger and set aside. Saute peppers and tomatoes in l tbsp.
veg. oil until cooked part way. Add meat and taco seasoning to vegs.
and l/2 c. water and cook in skillet until water is absorbed. Add
rice and mix in cheese. May top with sour cream, lettuce or whatever
toppings you prefer

:drool:

CrunchyMama0607
08-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Italian hamburger skillet.

Basically, brown up some hamburger meat with an onion and garlic. Add a can of tomatoes (I use a quart of home-canned, but do what you like, depending on how tomatoey you like it, and how far you need to stretch it), then add cooked bow-tie pasta. Top with parm cheese. You can also make this with rice by draining the tomatoes, adding water to the tomato juice to make 2 cups, then adding the liquid and 1 cup of uncooked rice to the hamburger. Cover, cook 20 minutes, then top with cheddar, and you have a hamburger rice skillet.

(copied and pasted from meal planning sec. of mothering.com) :)

rebelbets
08-19-2007, 10:47 PM
This one is so easy and cheap, depending on the ingredients you use. My husband surprisingly loves it, and he's very much a meat and potatoes kind of guy. It's really yummy!

Spaghetti alla Ceci
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

1 pound spaghetti (I use whole wheat)
Salt
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the pan
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I use 1.5 tsp. garlic powder)
1 (14-ounce) can, chick peas, drained
1/2 teaspoon dry thyme, eyeball it
Pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
1 (14-ounce) can, crushed tomatoes
Handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped (I use dried parsley)
Grated Parmiginao-Reggiano, to pass at table (I use the cheap Kraft in a can)

Boil water for pasta, salt it, and cook spaghetti to al dente.

While spaghetti cooks, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the pan, crushed red pepper flakes and garlic. Place chick peas in food processor and pulse grind them to a fine chop. Add chick peas to garlic and season them with thyme, salt and pepper then saute them for 3 to 4 minutes. Add wine or broth and cook down 30 seconds or so then stir in tomatoes and adjust seasoning. Drain pasta and toss with sauce. Top with parsley and grated cheese.

sdevonh
08-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Here's one for the veggies. This is what I used to live off of when I was a poor college student. (Now, I'm just a poor married SAHM. Ha! :giggle: )

Brown rice or Pasta or Cous-Cous
with
Frozen veggies of your choice defosted and
added to
MF Spicy black bean burger, salsa and fat free sour cream or
MF Tomato Basil Burger or
My favorite! About 1/8 c each fat free sour cream and tomato sauce mixed to make a pink sauce.
Obviously these are single serving recipes, but you can double or triple for the family.

Quesadillas are fast, cheap and easy. I make them in my George Foreman without any butter/spray to keep the calories down.
I make my husband a quick and easy shepherd's pie w/
Ground beef (.50-1.00)
Frozen peas and carrots (.75)
Jar beef gravy (1.00)
2 bags Mashed potato mix (1.00)

Love this thread!

sdevonh
08-20-2007, 12:49 PM
I thought of another one!

Spicy Sundried Tomato Pasta

Boil water and prepare 16oz bowtie pasta (or your favorite shape).
Roast 2 red peppers, under broiler turning occasionally until blackened. Put in paper bag for 5-7 min and then peel off skin. (This is so much cheaper and tastier than buying those oily jarred peppers.) Chop pepper finely and add to saute pan over med heat w/ chopped sundried tomatoes. Cook a few minutes and then add 1/2 pint heavy cream and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes. Bring to bubble, reduce heat and let simmer for a few more minutes until it thickens. Drain pasta and toss with sauce. So good!

ShannaMarie
08-21-2007, 04:03 PM
We had the BBQ Cups from page one of this thread last night. DH and the boys LOVED them. My 4-yr-old ate 3 (!?!) all by himself, and DH called me from work to say they he couldn't wait to have them leftover for lunch, so he ate early. :giggle:

I wrote down the ingredients thinking I needed a can of corn for the recipe, not realizing it was just a suggested side dish. I can't really stand canned corn alone, so I googled for a recipe to dress it up a bit. I found one on Recipezaar.com and tweaked it:

Corn in butter sauce
2 cups frozen corn kernels (I used one can corn, undrained)
1/4 cup butter (no subs!)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon sugar (or more to suit taste)
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use 1/2 teaspoon white salt, or to taste) -I used regular table salt
fresh ground black pepper (to taste)

In a microwave-safe bowl or casserole dish, combine all ingredients; cover with a lid.
Microwave on (HIGH) for 4-5 minutes, or until corn is tender, and sauce is bubbling, stirring 2 or 3 times.

It was YUMMY!

itsymama
08-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Here is what we are having tonight
I cook for me hubby and our lil boy only so you may need to adjust to fit your families size/needs .

Beef tip's in gravy served however you like it !

1 pound of choice beef tips or more for lager families ( we get 1 pound for just under $3 , you could do meat balls too since the meat may be cheaper )
1 packet of brown gravy
salt and pepper
water

I usually cut beef tips in half as they come a bit bigger then bite size , salt and pepper the meat and brown sides in a skillet in a touch of butter , then add water till it just covers the meat , simmer on low adding water as needed to keep at same level . This usually cooks down a few times and takes about 3 hours on low but the meat comes out SO tender , when meat is nice and tender let it cook down all the way then take it out and set aside , make the packet of gravy as directed in same pan then add the meat and any other spices if you want then it's done !

This can be served over rice , a big baked potato or you can also add a spoon or two of sour cream to this and serve over egg noodles !

So simple tetrazzini
I just eyeball how much I need of everything but that's really simple to do

cheese wiz ( cheap brand )
cream of mushroom soup
cream of celery soup
noodles of your choice
caned tuna or boiled chicken breasts

Cook noodles till done , stir in cheese and soups till well mixed , add tuna or chicken and salt and pepper to taste then eat ! It's such a comfort food SO rich and creamy and yummy !

Both of these are great with warm buttery biscuits and a simple veggie side .

CrunchyMama0607
08-31-2007, 03:28 PM
:bumpsign: :lostit:

CrunchyMama0607
08-31-2007, 05:53 PM
made the chicken and yellow rice w/cornbread muffins and peas from page 1 and :yummy: its soooooo GOOD! even my toddler loves it! :yay:

my3sonz
09-01-2007, 05:50 PM
This is cheap and yummy! Haven't read all posts so sorry if it's already on here!

Prepare 1 cup of rice according to package directions (usually 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, although I sometimes use chicken broth instead of water to add flavor.) Heat 1 can Campbell's Sirloin Burger Chunky Soup. Dish out servings of rice onto individual plates and spoon soup over rice. Can easily be doubled for large families.

CrunchyMama0607
09-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Deep Dish Chicken Pot Pie
Combine:
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 pkg. Frozen mixed vegetables
2 c. cubed cooked chicken
Pour into a 2 ½ quart casserole dish.

Mix together:
½ c. milk
1 egg
1 c. biscuit mix
Pour dough over chicken mixture. Bake at 400º for 35 minutes or until golden.

Biscuit Mix
(Cheap and easy substitute for Bisquick!)

10 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. baking powder
¼ c. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 c. shortening

In a bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

TO FREEZE: Store in an airtight container for up to six weeks at room temperature or for up to six months in the freezer.

letiesmama
09-02-2007, 11:17 PM
So I've not priced this in a while because I buy in bulk when items are on sale. If on sale it's definitely less than five dollars.

Pizza Rolls
1 can of premade pizza dough (two if you're feeding my dh :laugh: )
1 package pepperoni or canadian bacon
1 package shredded mozzerella (we use vegan shreds i can't have beef)
1 can Delmonte traditional spagetti sauce

Slice dough into three to four inch wide strips longways and then cut in half. Wrap up desired meats and cheeses. Cook according to pizza dough instructions. If your dough says to prebake dough, top and then cook ignore that. Usually it takes 8 to 10 minutes in my ancient oven. Heat sauce. Dip and enjoy!

Sausage and Potatoes.

Buy your favorite link sausage (we use a local organic brand because of the no beef thing, actually pretty cheap)
Five or Six medium size potatoes, peeled
Tony Cachere's

Slice sausage into circles. Slice potatoes same way, but cut in half to reduce cooking time. Sautee in skillet with evo until potatoes are cooked through. Use Tony Cachere's or your own salt, pepper, cayenne pepper blend as desired. Personally I should buy stock in tony's. Also great if you sautee half an onion in with it. When I have to stretch it I double potatoes and/or freeze half the sausage.

CrunchyMama0607
09-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Where can you find pizza dough? :blush:

emilykaysmommy
09-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Hey Mamas!
Tonight I made potato soup, 6 potatos, one can of evaporated milk, stick of butter and a little regular milk and it served 6 adults!!!! and my step dad, husband and brother in law had seconds, step dad even had 3rds! and there is still some left over! probably enough for hubby's lunch. I made cornbread muffins to go with it, 2 boxes of the 2/$1 thingys.
I'm just learning how to cook and I'm totally lovin this thread! usually we spend $150 or so at the grocery store, we went in with a list and menu this time and spent $90!!! and I just fed 6 ppl for hecka cheap!!!
thanks Mamas!!!:lostit:

Amberjoe_1
09-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Where can you find pizza dough? :blush:

It's next to the cans of biscuits and crescents:thumbsup:

itsymama
09-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Hey Mamas!
Tonight I made potato soup, 6 potatos, one can of evaporated milk, stick of butter and a little regular milk and it served 6 adults!!!! and my step dad, husband and brother in law had seconds, step dad even had 3rds! and there is still some left over! probably enough for hubby's lunch. I made cornbread muffins to go with it, 2 boxes of the 2/$1 thingys.
I'm just learning how to cook and I'm totally lovin this thread! usually we spend $150 or so at the grocery store, we went in with a list and menu this time and spent $90!!! and I just fed 6 ppl for hecka cheap!!!
thanks Mamas!!!:lostit:

Mmmm , my mom makes a yummy easy potato soup but she puts a bag of frozen corn in it too ! Sounds good right now ( super hungry here :yummy: )