PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with pumping...

mrosehughes
03-11-2010, 03:25 PM
For today at least. I just cannot do it anymore. Fortunately I'll BF when I get home and I'll be rejuvenated (at least a bit). Just wondering what all you EPing mamas do when you've just had it with the pump?

Hoping2BaMomma
03-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Well I'm an EP. I just think that it's best for my baby and I must do it. Simple as that. If my supply dips then I'll cry if I have to give my baby formula.

mrosehughes
03-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Yeah, fair enough... I just wondered if there were any special motivational tricks that you use. You EPing mamas rock :)

Whimsy Twist
03-12-2010, 03:19 PM
If my supply dips then I'll cry if I have to give my baby formula.

This was my MANTRA while I was EP'ing for 2 months while my twins were in the NICU. I also did a lot of telling myself, "just do it, and then you don't have to think about it for 2.5 more hours"...

cheather111
03-14-2010, 07:53 PM
I motivated myself by saying that it was the one really concrete healthy thing that I knew ONLY I could do for my baby. And I wanted to do that for him - despite how annoying it was for me. I lasted 10 months. Thank goodness the baby I just had will nurse (first one had medical problems) because I only have to pump to supplement my supply now. Keep it up- you can do it!

MotherKate
03-15-2010, 06:58 PM
We do both breast milk and formula (I don't make enough milk), and I EP. He gets about 60% breast milk (some days more!).

Whenever I think about giving up the pumping I just think about his poos. The breast milk poos are so much looser and (I'm sure) easier to pass. The formula poos are thicker, and every once in a while super thick, which makes me worry about constipation... Kind of a gross motivation, but it works for me! I hate the thought of him having all formula and being constipated....

And of course, there are all the great health benefits and I like being able to give him my milk, even if he rejected the breast. :)

JMac
03-16-2010, 03:35 PM
I get sick of it often since I EP, but then I start thinking about if I stopped I would only be able to keep DD on BM for the next 2.5 months (what I have frozen). That makes me keep pumping!

liamsmom15
03-21-2010, 02:33 PM
At this point (5+ months of EP) my motivation is that I've held on this long, so why stop now? It's not fun and it's not glamorous but once you get in the routine it works.

KateA
03-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Haha... I love that about thinking about poops to motivate. I do that too! A couple months ago I had had it with pumping and so I gave him a few bottles of 1/2 and 1/2 formula and milk and his poop changed. I went back so quick!

AnimalHouse
03-26-2010, 05:18 AM
I've been EP'ing now for almost 6 months, and did the same for my older son. I get irritated with it, but it's what I have to do. I was unable to nurse, and I refuse to give formula this time around. I keep motivated simply by reminding myself that I'm doing the very best I can for my child. I also have a quote taped up on the cabinet where I keep my pumping supplies:

"You are raising a child, not managing an inconvenience."

That quote keeps me going - it reminds me that sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do for our kids, and it's worth it!

Mama Bear X3
03-26-2010, 11:34 AM
no tricks here, just sheer stubbornness to not use formula.

sh0rtchica
03-26-2010, 11:42 AM
op - are you an EPer? what do you normally do during pump time? for me, i always came on DS:) that made it so much better!! i just stopped pumping a week ago, and i must say in some ways i miss that quiet time when nobody was allowed to bug me. lol.

mrosehughes
03-26-2010, 12:47 PM
op - are you an EPer? what do you normally do during pump time? for me, i always came on DS:) that made it so much better!! i just stopped pumping a week ago, and i must say in some ways i miss that quiet time when nobody was allowed to bug me. lol.

I am not an EPer -- I only pump at work, and I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse to pump. I do actually try to come on DS when I pump, because it does seem to help seeing posts from all you other mamas :) (and occasionally looking for super cute wool!) I just have trouble with my hands-free some days and I get super annoyed. But, thanks in part to all of your motivations (and my stubbornness, which is what kept me BFing in the first place) I'm still managing to pump as often during work as I was. Some days I just need to vent about it, though :goodvibes:

sh0rtchica
03-26-2010, 12:59 PM
i hear you loud and clear! i was down to only pumping once a day at work (not an EPer either), and it was hard to get myself to do even that. Made it worse that DS started refusing to drink my milk! oy. hang in there, while it doesn't necessarily get easier, you may come to treasure that quiet time once you no longer have it!

CherryPie
03-26-2010, 04:37 PM
nak

This may not be popular BUT-

I was burned out with nursing so I started using some formula....then I realized the grass wasn't greener on the other side and got rejuvenated and went back to pumping and nursing more. I never felt like this and I think it had a lot to do with dh deployed, me with all 4 kids etc. Some mild ppd perhaps? I also used to stress so much about if I would find time to pump, if I would pump enough, etc that I was getting migraines from the stress. Anyhoo, yes I used formula but it allowed me to rejuvenate and get back to nursing more before I hit total burnout and quit altogether.