PDA

View Full Version : need help choosing a pump

primers13
03-15-2010, 08:25 PM
I am trying to choose a good pump but I dont want to spend a whole lot of money so I am looking on ebay and other sites. Has anyone used either Ameda or Lansinoh pumps? Those are the 2 that I have looked at but cant decide. If there are others that yall like please let me know so that I can look into that too. Thanks so much for the help.

sandy_dandy
03-15-2010, 09:00 PM
It's not cheap, but I like my Medela Pump In Style Advanced. Maybe you can get a good deal on eBay. Good luck!

CEVmommy
03-16-2010, 08:24 AM
I use the Ameda Purely Yours and am very happy with it. If I had to do it over, I would still buy another Ameda.

va703
03-16-2010, 08:27 AM
I used the Ameda Purely Yours with both my kiddos, I had good luck with it. It lasted through the first year with both of them.

AbFab
03-16-2010, 09:01 AM
the only one that was recommended time and time again to me was the Medala pump-in-style. so many moms loved their experience with it. 2 LC that I saw also recommended it. i was able to use a babies r us coupon and use giftcards from the baby shower to buy my pump. so the cost was really good for me. :) i'm so happy that i went with this pump. the only bad part is that it is a lot to carry to and from work every day.

breezie17
03-16-2010, 05:27 PM
It's not cheap, but I like my Medela Pump In Style Advanced. Maybe you can get a good deal on eBay. Good luck!

this is what I use and recommend!

KateA
03-25-2010, 06:48 PM
I use the medela PIS advanced... so that's all I can recommend. But I love it... if one can really love a breast pump. Regardless, its a human torture device. :) But its best when your baby doesn't like the breast... brat. :)

AnimalHouse
03-26-2010, 05:22 AM
I've heard good things about the Ameda pump. Just remember that each woman is different, and what works for one pumping mommy might not work for you.

I EP, so I went out and bought the expensive Medela PISA - I'd heard only good reviews and it was so expensive, I figured it was the best. But it didn't work for me. It hurts like heck, and barely got a drop out. And I have an over-supply, so I KNOW the milk was there. LOL. I switched back to my trusty Avent Isis manual, and my milk started flowing. I have a friend who is the exact opposite. You never know. LOL.

spacetygrss
03-28-2010, 01:11 PM
I love my PIS advanced from Medela. DO NOT buy it from BRU or other stores. You can buy one with the shoulder bag from bosombuddies.com for $195 plus shipping (around 10 dollars). This makes it only about $50 more than the APY or Lansinoh pumps.

That said, I don't think that there is anything wrong with the other pumps. I just don't want you to go spend $300+ for the PISA when you can get it for much cheaper.

HTH

Michelle_M
03-28-2010, 01:25 PM
I used an Avent Isis IQ Uno and an IQ Duo with Noah (DS2). I got more milk from the IQ Uno than the medela double electric that a friend loaned me. Then I upgraded to the Avent Duo. LOVED that pump. Sold it when I was done, because we thought we wouldn't have any more children. Now I wish I had kept it!!!

Currently I'm using an Ameda Purely yours that comes with the black carry bag, 6 storage bottles for pumping into and storing, and a little cooler that fits those 6 bottles in it.

It's working very nicely for me.

So, I would recomend the Avent Duo as my first choice, and the Ameda as a second choice.

God bless!

angelnalex
04-12-2010, 11:20 PM
I love medela, I got a awesome deal on the pump in style($10 at a resale store) I have the double deluxe as well have had that one for over 7 years it is nice small great for tossing in the diaper bag for on the go, (I don't believe they make this one anymore maybe they still have the single deluxe) I also have the Medela Lactina Select Hospital Grade Breast Pump this one runs in the thousand dollar plus price range but I got a steal on it for $250 on craigslist. So my favorite is the Lactina, but the pump in style comes in a close second, I prefer the double deluxe (which can be used as a single as well) for on the go it can run on 2AA batteries. I also have the harmony which is a great manual pump because of the 2 phase suction. Back when I had dd I tried a couple different pumps (2 of my cousins and myself all had children within 5 months of each other) I am not sure of the pumps they had but one of them felt like it pinched me and the other did not have enough suction power for me. :)

Evergreen
04-15-2010, 05:24 PM
I just bought a Hygeia EnJoye pump and love, love, love it! It is made by former employees of Medela. You can check out their website here: http://www.hygeiababy.com/ They have a 21 day money-back guarentee so there is no harm in trying it out!

imacowgirl2
04-17-2010, 01:53 PM
The Lansinoh and Ameda Purely Yours are the exact same pump, just marketed under different names...parts are completely interchangeable as well.

I have the Lansinoh one and love it...I used it with my last son quite frequently and it was great at helping with milk supply. My only complaint is that it doesnt come in an organized bag, and since I'm a working mama this time with very little time/room at work to pump, I need the quickness/convenience of a pump in a bag...so I'm looking at the Playtex Embrace...but the Lansinoh pump will be the pump I use at home still.

Strawberree
04-18-2010, 11:39 AM
I have the Ameda Purely Yours, had the old medela, now using the new medela PISA. I much much much prefer the new medela, especially the let down feature! But if I had known about the hygeia: http://the-giggling-green-bean.com/mama-gear/breastpumps/hygeia-enjoye-eps-breast-pump.html I would have gotten it instead!! I am pumping exclusively and have been for two months (not by choice, and we are still working on latching! I would love to transition her back to the breast!) Especially knowing this will be my last, it would be nice to have a pump I could resell. The Ameda for me was so fiddly with all the settings and I felt like I had to mess around with it more while trying to pump, every single time. The Medela, I start it, it does it's latch thing, and then I crank it up after it switches just one time. I think the program-ability of the hygeia sounds awesome!

SazBaby
04-18-2010, 05:17 PM
I pumped 2-3 times daily at work 4-5 days a week for 12 months using my medela PIS, the one with the shoulder bag. It was great- the two phase suction for letdown was really helpful, loved the range of adjustment, it worked wonderfully for me. Was highly recommended by lots of moms, and when my LC saw that I had it, she told me how happy I was going to be with it!

I've seen them on craigslist for around $75 used. Theoretically you don't want a used pump, but the good thing about this model is that the pump and everything important never even comes close to any milk. You can buy new tubing and horns/valves etc. so they are for you only, for pretty cheap. If I had known about finding them on craigslist, I would have gone that route rather than spend the money on a new one, but it's whatever you're comfortable with!

stefaniem
04-18-2010, 05:28 PM
I had the medela freestyle - found it on line from an authorized dealer for $100 less than BRU, plus free shipping. I loved the portability of it and it has a really long battery life. I had to pump A LOT the first month and it was great to do it hands free. Now I only use it if I spend the night away (rare) but I still love how small and portable it is. The only con is that it is loud.

themoth
04-26-2010, 08:24 PM
I got my Medela Pump in Style Advanced on Ebay, brand new, for $100 less than retail. As far as pumps go, it is awesome. Totally worth the money if you can make it work.

_ArmyGal_
04-26-2010, 09:51 PM
I have the medela swing, and love it. I recently got the freestyle attatchments to make my swing a hands free double pump and it works great!
I did have one of the ameda pumps, but after it blowing out on me, I returned it to the manufacturer and went to the medela.
I pump every day for a baby i donate to, so having a pump keep crapping out on me was frustrating. since I got the medela swing, I haven't had any problems at all.

ChicanaCoqueta
04-27-2010, 11:09 AM
I have an Ameda PY. Used it for over 1 yr with no problems.
The good thing about having that model too is that at work they have the medical grade one in the lactation room so I just use my parts and hook it up to the machine. that made life so much easier.

nurse&mom23
04-30-2010, 08:27 AM
I also agree with the Medela PIS. I have had mine for 7 years and I am on my 3rd child and it is still going strong! Also easy to find replacement parts ie new brest shields etc. Totally worth the $...Esp when you think about all of the formula you are not going to have to buy!

Alzamez
05-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Like the other moms have said, each person is different, and it also depends on your use- if you work full-time, I think it is so worth spending the extra money for a good double pump. I work full-time, so I went on this crazy quest for the best pump. I have the ameda purely yours ultra, the medela swing, the harmony, and the medela freestyle.

For me, the freestyle was best for work and for pumping in the car because it is super small, and has a rechargeable battery, the controls are simple, & all the parts are pretty contained. I find the suction to be more comfortable than the ameda. At home I like the ameda because you have full control of the speed and suction. It's a little bulky and stressful to use at work, but is the easiest to clean after! I also get the most milk from it, probably because of the way you can tweak speed and suction, but the suction is louder, more robotic and less natural feeling.

The swing is my least favorite! It works ok, but I always would get milk on myself and in the tubes, and really doesn't cut it for work. I like the harmony when pumping one side while I nurse on the other ( the swing is great for this too, but it's so messy!). The harmony is also great to keep in your purse for shorter trips or events since it is so small and simple.

athensmama
05-20-2010, 10:15 AM
I am using a Medela Pump In Style (not the advanced, but the older model) and it's been working great so far. Whichever one you end up with, make sure you get flanges that fit! the ones that came with the pump were too small for me (and I don't have large breasts, just thick nipples). I was pumping and my nipples were sometimes banging against the side of the flange - OUCH! the larger flanges helped with this problem and increased my output. good luck!