PDA

View Full Version : amber necklaces feel fake?

rawmamanibbles
03-16-2010, 12:03 PM
how come these baltic amber necklaces feel like plastic?

cassondruh
03-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Amber is formed from the pitch from trees, which is much lighter than a gemstone that grows in the earth. When the Amber finally reaches "Amber" form, it will feel light like plastic.
There are ways you can test the authenticity of Amber, because there are some people out there who make fake Amber. I think it has something to do with sticking a hot needle to the Amber, and the smell it creates (I think the authentic stuff has a pleasant smell, and the fake stuff stinks - but you'd have to google it and find out). But the bad part about that is it might ruin a piece of your Amber to test it.

nakedbabytoes
03-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Amberizon.com has a page that lists 10 ways to tell if your amber is fake. Only 2 of the ways will ruin one of your beads(melting & breaking/scratching it).

cassondruh
03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Amberizon.com has a page that lists 10 ways to tell if your amber is fake. Only 2 of the ways will ruin one of your beads(melting & breaking/scratching it).

Oh sweet! I didn't know there were other ways! Thanks for the link!

kyrae99
03-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Amber is formed from the pitch from trees, which is much lighter than a gemstone that grows in the earth. When the Amber finally reaches "Amber" form, it will feel light like plastic.
There are ways you can test the authenticity of Amber, because there are some people out there who make fake Amber. I think it has something to do with sticking a hot needle to the Amber, and the smell it creates (I think the authentic stuff has a pleasant smell, and the fake stuff stinks - but you'd have to google it and find out). But the bad part about that is it might ruin a piece of your Amber to test it.

Well said. Most people do think that amber is a stone and not fossilzed tree sap. Here is a little more about it:
What is amber? It is fossilized tree sap and it is millions of years old. It started out as resin secreted out of a tree to heal a wound. The resin protected the tree from a certain death by making a sticky, protective barrier against fungus. When the tree eventually fell and began to decay, the sap remained. Buried under layers of vegetation, earth and, sometimes, water, the sap continued to harden from the pressure and heat that naturally builds up in such conditions. This fossilized resin is the final product of millions of years of slow processing. Source: http://www.fossils-facts-and-finds.com/amber.html

Batlic Amber is found in the Baltic Sea. The amber pieces are knocked free from resting in the sediment on the sea bed and float up (hence the float test) and are washed up on the shore. At one of the markets I was going I met a man that grew up in on the Batlic Sea in Poland and he said the amber fisherman would go out with big fine mesh nets to collect the amber. He said it was wonderful childhood memory for him. Also my neighbors are from Poland. SHe loves looking through my amber. She has shown me some of the pieces that were her MIL that the MIL used forever for pain relief.

cwieberdink
03-16-2010, 01:36 PM
I thought the amber necklace my daughter had was fake as well. It felt like plastic to me. Then one day while looking very closely at the clear yellow bead near the clasp I saw a bug preserved in the amber. Guess it was totally real! I'm not making this up. I thought it was the coolest thing. She eventually broke the necklace and I threw it away, but it was so neat.

Dory
03-16-2010, 01:51 PM
One of our beads (not sure if it's in my necklace or Nate's) has a bug in it. lol It's teeny tiny though.

This might be a dumb Q, but how long with they be potent? Do they have a life span?

Fairycat
03-16-2010, 01:53 PM
I thought the amber necklace my daughter had was fake as well. It felt like plastic to me. Then one day while looking very closely at the clear yellow bead near the clasp I saw a bug preserved in the amber. Guess it was totally real! I'm not making this up. I thought it was the coolest thing. She eventually broke the necklace and I threw it away, but it was so neat.

Actually bugs and things have been added to some fake amber (Copal or Resin). The best way to tell is the tests.

cwieberdink
03-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Actually bugs and things have been added to some fake amber (Copal or Resin). The best way to tell is the tests.

REALLY? Oh man, that is going the distance to fake something eh?

kyrae99
03-16-2010, 02:41 PM
One of our beads (not sure if it's in my necklace or Nate's) has a bug in it. lol It's teeny tiny though.

This might be a dumb Q, but how long with they be potent? Do they have a life span?

No amber does not expire. Since amber is actually a resin it is quite soft and can be broken or scratched. If you necklace needs to be cleaned wipe with a flannel cloth and rub with olive oil. Do not use soaps or chemicals on the amber. When storing your jewelry keep on a soft cloth away from items that might scratch the amber.

rawmamanibbles
03-18-2010, 11:31 AM
wow, thanx