PDA

View Full Version : Randomly Throwing up For No Apparent Reason

literacylaunchpad
04-14-2010, 10:05 PM
My niece is almost three and has started throwing up randomly from time to time for no apparent reason. My sister says she'll be totally fine and then cough a little... and then throw up. It just started about a week or so ago. My sister can't figure out what's triggering it. People have suggested perhaps it's reflux or a weak gag reflex...??

There have been no major changes to her diet other than switching her to soy milk a few months ago because cow's milk kept stopping her up...

Anybody know what the deal might be?

It's driving my sister bananas 'cause she feels like she has to carry a barf bag with her everywhere she goes with her daughter now, 'cause she never knows when it might happen.

tallanvor
04-14-2010, 10:09 PM
I would advise her to stop the soy. I don't know for sure that it's the soy, but it seems to me to be a logical place to start. Also, advise your sister to make sure that her daughter is drinking enough water. Even if her daughter doesn't have a dairy issue, too much dairy with not enough water could stop her up.

left210
04-14-2010, 10:14 PM
DS 22 months was doing the same thing and the dr. said he thought it was must mucus in his throat from allergies causing him to throw up at random times. Not food allergies although he has many food allergies but he was not consuming anything he was allergic to so they think it was from seasonal allergies.

ravinchik247
04-14-2010, 10:18 PM
DS 22 months was doing the same thing and the dr. said he thought it was must mucus in his throat from allergies causing him to throw up at random times. Not food allergies although he has many food allergies but he was not consuming anything he was allergic to so they think it was from seasonal allergies.

I agree with this. Even if it isn't allergies, if there is mucus in her chest and it dislodges when she coughs, but is caught at the back of her throat it will make her gag. That's exactly what it sounds like to me. Get rid of the mucus, get rid of the gagging. Hope she feels better!

literacylaunchpad
04-15-2010, 10:22 AM
bump

happymama1
04-15-2010, 01:33 PM
I second the get rid of the soy advice....vomiting can be a sign of allergic reaction, and is even a symptom associated with anaphylactic reactions. My daugher is allergic to peanuts, and this vomiting is one of the things they have told me to watch out for in case she ever ingests peanuts without me knowing it. Anaphylactic reactions are also called variable reactions, meaning, you can be fine one time eating something, the next time you can have vomiting or upset stomach, another time be fine, another time have your throat close up, another time vomiting, another time nothing etc...

You never know when the more severe reaction is going to take place...people can have this kind of reaction to soy...although it is most typically seen with nuts and shellfish.

Anyway...it is probably reflux/sensitive gag....but worth getting checked for food allergies...or AT least discontinuing the soy.

Good luck!

ttachuk
04-15-2010, 08:27 PM
The cough is often a symptom of GERD (reflux), especially in children that don't quite have the "experience" to suppress a burp. AN adult would probably burp and swallow the stuff that comes up with it, a kid would throw up.

suzhardin
04-15-2010, 10:36 PM
This must be very troubling for you and your sis., I was just wondering if there were any other precursors to the vomiting. Like just having eaten, overly hungry ect....

luvsviola
04-15-2010, 11:19 PM
I would talk to the ped. and have an allergy panel run, and if that doesn't fix it, start Zantac/Priolosec/Prevacid for reflux.

diapermommy
04-15-2010, 11:27 PM
My son did this for awhile around 2 and 3 years old. It would always be after he was asleep for atleast a few minutes up to a couple of hours. He has reflux. Now that he's 5 he no longer randomly throws up but he does cough every night after he falls asleep atleast once, sounds like he gets strangled in his sleep. He doesn't do it as much since he had his tonsils taken out.

literacylaunchpad
04-16-2010, 10:17 PM
This has all been really helpful. Thanks! If anyone else has any wisdom to share as well, please do!