PDA

View Full Version : How long can juice sit out?

nalazimbala
04-19-2010, 09:21 AM
We are very bad about leaving food sitting out on the counter after we eat and since I hate wasting food, we tend to eat it anyway (within reason).

Yesterday I left an almost full container of pinapple/orange juice out on the counter. How long would it be safe sitting out before you would toss it?

DaisyDiaper728
04-19-2010, 09:31 AM
I've left juice out overnight before :blush: but it was fine. It generally doesn't get over 68 degrees in our house, though, if that makes a difference.

txmap
04-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Use your DH as a guinea pig. If he doesn't get sick, then it's safe for the rest of you to drink! LOL

Actually, if it were grape, cranberry, etc. (anything other than citris) I would stick it back in the fridge and drink it. BUT I'm assuming that orange/pineapple juice is kept in the refrigerated section of the grocery store for a reason (ie: it's not shelf stable).

Whits01
04-19-2010, 09:39 AM
This doesn't exactly answer you question, but...

http://www.canfightbac.org/cpcfse/en/cookwell/ask/f_v/

After my baby has sipped from a cup of (pasturized) juice, how long can it be kept (at room temperature or in the fridge) before being discarded?
That will depend on the age and health of your baby but do not leave juice at room temperature longer than one hour. The younger the baby, the more he or she is at risk for getting sick from food borne harmful bacteria. When sipping, saliva can transfer bacteria from the baby's mouth to the juice. So fill your cup with a small amount and do not refrigerate leftovers.

hardieszoo
04-19-2010, 09:41 AM
It depends on a lot of things? How fresh was it? Is it juice that was purchased in the refrigerated section? Is it pasteurized? What is the air temperature in your house?
I can completely empathize with your not wanting to waste money. However, it's yours and your children's health. The official FDA answer is 4-6 hours. If you left it out longer than that and it still tastes and smells fine, and you want to keep it, drink it fast! Now that it has sat out, it will spoil in the fridge, much faster. It may be ok, but there's a slim possibility it will not be ok, and you may not want to risk it.

nalazimbala
04-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I've left cranberry juice out overnight and not thought twice about sticking it back in the fridge. It has been a little warm in our house lately which also makes me a little more nervous about it. I took it out at about 10am and found it on the counter around 3:00pm.

I just hate throwing out a whole bottle of juice!

I drank some to test it...we'll see what happens.

TeachinAuntie
04-19-2010, 09:49 AM
I'd toss it, pineapple juice goes bad in the fridge in just a few days so I'd think overnight on the counter wouldn't be good at all...

carazoe
04-19-2010, 09:51 AM
If it was out from breakfast to around lunch time, i think its fine. My parents leave milk and juice on their counters ALL the time and no one has ever gotten sick.

PatchworkPeddler
04-19-2010, 09:56 AM
I'd think if it tastes/smells good than it is good.... ?? I've left the canned frozen stuff out in my van overnight before and made it and it was fine. But IDK, I guess I'm weird like that :giggle: