PDA

View Full Version : Can I put a package in my mailbox?

WoodSprite
04-28-2010, 11:38 AM
I have 2 FC packages that need to go out today. I'm printing the labels/postage off PP...
Anyway, can I just stick them in my mailbox for the mailman to pick up on her rounds, or do I need to drop them off at the PO?

Usually, I schedule a pickup if I have larges boxes, but these are just small polymailer envelopes.

SillyBreanna
04-28-2010, 11:41 AM
I was just comming on here to ask this :)

ktarsha
04-28-2010, 11:42 AM
I've left my smaller packages in the mailbox many times with no problem.

Lisonh
04-28-2010, 11:54 AM
I do all the time ! I have 2 in there now I had to squeeze in but I got it :)

WoodSprite
04-28-2010, 12:00 PM
great! Thanks!

mamaratliff
04-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Yup I do it all the time ;)

Piper's Closet
04-28-2010, 12:16 PM
while you can as long as you know your mailman, we just got yelled at by a sub because technically you are required to send an e-mail, but we also send out quite a few packages.

sasra_nu
04-28-2010, 06:13 PM
while you can as long as you know your mailman, we just got yelled at by a sub because technically you are required to send an e-mail, but we also send out quite a few packages.

Yep we've gotten yelled at too for it (well not yelled at lol, but advised to schedule a pickup), although they do take them. Can you even schedule first class pick-up, or is that just for priority? Lately I have just been walking them to the PO, it's only a couple blocks away so not a big deal for me.

laur318
04-28-2010, 10:09 PM
what do you mean send them an email? do you mean the paypal shipping label info?

lisaaag
04-29-2010, 09:09 AM
I left one in the mailbox once, mail lady did pick it up but left a note saying that from now I would have to schedule.

The Fancy Pansy
04-29-2010, 09:14 AM
If it fits in the box, I put it in! Otherwise, I schedule a pick up. Never had a complaint from my regular lady, my weekend guy, or any subs. :thumbsup:

The Fancy Pansy
04-29-2010, 09:14 AM
If it fits in the box, I put it in! Otherwise, I schedule a pick up. Never had a complaint from my regular lady, my weekend guy, or any subs. :thumbsup:

jamilynn84
04-29-2010, 10:03 AM
it depends on your mailman for sure... if I don't "schedule" a pickup he leaves it with a note, but in his defense he does have to walk door to delivering mail, and even one or two heavy packages in that bag would be a pain in the A

Gizmo516
04-29-2010, 12:45 PM
I think per PO rules they are required to pick up all first class mail under 13oz WITHOUT scheduling a pickup. Mainly this is because you can only schedule a pickup for priority mail (or for several packages at once, but at least one has to be priority or express). There was a question about this last year and the postmaster finally got back to the mama and the idea was that the mailperson has to pick up all packages (first class) in the mailbox no questions asked. I personally drop mine in one of the post office boxes (the big blue ones at like the grocery store) and have never had an issue.

-Rach

2bubbly
04-29-2010, 07:32 PM
on the usps website when you print out postage it says you can hand it to your mail carrier, schedule a pick-up, or bring to post office. It may have even said you can drop it in a box, but I don't remember for sure.

UnderTheStars
04-29-2010, 09:50 PM
I think per PO rules they are required to pick up all first class mail under 13oz WITHOUT scheduling a pickup

:yeahthat: Anything over 13oz technically requires a scheduled pickup. Some carriers are nice and may still take it if it's a little heavier, but they aren't required to.

alsatia23
05-02-2010, 07:46 AM
I always leave packages in my mailbox, I think as long as they are under 13oz or something it's fine. If it's a big package, I call for a pickup. My mail people (in California and Arkansas) have never said anything about not leaving small packages in the mailbox.

BNC
05-03-2010, 10:25 AM
what do you mean send them an email? do you mean the paypal shipping label info?

No, she means scheduling a pickup.

Haha- I stack boxes and boxes next to my mail box almost daily. My mailman is in a truck though, not walking door to door. and he never complains.

clarinetb
05-03-2010, 01:52 PM
I think per PO rules they are required to pick up all first class mail under 13oz WITHOUT scheduling a pickup. Mainly this is because you can only schedule a pickup for priority mail (or for several packages at once, but at least one has to be priority or express). There was a question about this last year and the postmaster finally got back to the mama and the idea was that the mailperson has to pick up all packages (first class) in the mailbox no questions asked. I personally drop mine in one of the post office boxes (the big blue ones at like the grocery store) and have never had an issue.

-Rach

This is what I've been trying to get clarification on, because when you go to request a pick-up, it says you can only put first class packages out IF you have at least on priority or express package. Doesn't that mean that they don't pick-up first class packages unless you have one of the others?

I usually drop mine in the post box by work, but if I'm not going out that day it would be nice to leave it out :D

Queen_Celeste
05-03-2010, 01:58 PM
I left 4 in there today. Hooray for FSOT!