PDA

View Full Version : Which kind of elastic do you use?

sway
04-28-2010, 03:15 PM
I've tried most of the elastics on my diapers, found 3 that I like using but wanna narrow it down to just one. Can't make up my mind though.

So I wanna see what others are using and why you like it. Thanks!

breefawn
04-28-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm curious, too!

kookabearkids
04-28-2010, 05:31 PM
I use a 1/4" wide natural cotton/rubber elastic. It seems to hold up much better than the bleached kind and I like that it is latex free :O)

DoulaWendyShawn
04-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Yep I use the unbleached "swimwear" elastic depends on what I am sewing sometimes the 1/4 sometimes the 3/4

lorikep
04-28-2010, 06:57 PM
I have used 3/8" on most of my homemade diapers, but it is often too tight if I pull it all the way. So I am going to use the 1/4" on my next batch, including my newborn stash I am working on.

cherylchoo
04-28-2010, 08:07 PM
On my homemade diapers, I really like 3/8 wide in a casing (as opposed to zigzag sewn on top). If I use 1/4, it doesn't look right and it leaves red marks if I make it snug enough to contain everything. But in my commercial diapers, I know they have 1/4" in them and I love them too - they are just made differently. I'm a cheapskate and buy the cheap polybraid at walmart, because I figured with them being in a casing it would be easy to replace if it wore out. Well, here it is 18 months later and it's still fine. :thumbsup:

sway
04-29-2010, 12:32 AM
ok... i've used Lastin, which I liked but it gets really skinny when it's stretched all the way so I'm worried that it might be uncomfortable... Also used the cotton braided (swimsuit), this elastic is very durable, stretch very well, but I'm worried that they stretch TOO well LOL (which makes it really tight). I also use regular poly(? i think) braid, I also like them but the elasticity don't seem as well as the other ones (but still work fine). I'm torn in btw these..... :headscratch:

rubidoux
04-29-2010, 12:54 AM
I use the cheapest elastic I could find. I think I got a lifetime supply for around 10 bucks in LA. It's on a big spool and I bet it's 200 yards or so. It looks like swimsuit elastic, and is 3/8 inch. I have never had any wear out on me and the stretch/recovery is great. I wouldn't be surprised if that's bc I never use hot water on my dipes and I always make them few enough layers that they dry in one cycle.

kookabearkids
04-29-2010, 01:31 AM
Well, so far it looks like the natural colored swimsuit elastic is the winner ;)

I used to use the polybraid in my personal dipes but it doesn't have the stretch the natural elastic has.

The clear elastin stuff has always scared me. I always think it is going to break or stretch out. Do any of you guys use it?

sway
04-29-2010, 02:01 AM
The clear elastin stuff has always scared me. I always think it is going to break or stretch out. Do any of you guys use it?

i used it on some of my dipes. it's nice cause they can stretch really far lol but yah i know what you mean by always thinking it's going to break. The last batch i got was not good quality. I think I'm just going to go w/ the natural cotton swimsuit elastics.

Thank you ladies for all of your inputs, really helped me out!!!

kookabearkids
04-29-2010, 06:30 AM
BTW The diaper in the avatar you have is sooo cute!

cherylchoo
04-29-2010, 07:17 AM
I use the cheapest elastic I could find. I think I got a lifetime supply for around 10 bucks in LA. It's on a big spool and I bet it's 200 yards or so. It looks like swimsuit elastic, and is 3/8 inch. I have never had any wear out on me and the stretch/recovery is great. I wouldn't be surprised if that's bc I never use hot water on my dipes and I always make them few enough layers that they dry in one cycle.

FWIW, the cheap WM polybraid I use in my diapers is washed on hot and dried for 65 minutes on hot every use, and they've lasted 18 months. I don't use real bleach tho, just the oxygen bleach, that may be a factor. I do agree it does not stretch the same as natural elastic, but I've adapted the length to accomodate the stretch.

sway
04-29-2010, 02:34 PM
BTW The diaper in the avatar you have is sooo cute!

THANKS!!! :blush: