PDA

View Full Version : Does Mama Cloth really shorten periods?

jmae00
05-21-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm new to mama cloth and CDing. I've heard that using cloth pads can shorten your periods and lessen the severity of them. Anyone that has used mama cloths have this happen? How many cycles did it take for you to notice a difference if so?

crystalanne79
05-21-2010, 05:16 PM
It did mine! It took about 3 or so months but it cut my period down from 7-8 days to 4-5 and then a few more months it is down to 3 days. This may be TMI but it's almost like it doesn't draw the blood out of you like disposables but it kinda pools inside for when you go to the bathroom which is much more efficient. My periods are much more enjoyable now for many reasons!

delphinium
05-21-2010, 05:19 PM
It did mine! It took about 3 or so months but it cut my period down from 7-8 days to 4-5 and then a few more months it is down to 3 days. This may be TMI but it's almost like it doesn't draw the blood out of you like disposables but it kinda pools inside for when you go to the bathroom which is much more efficient. My periods are much more enjoyable now for many reasons!

The bolded doesn't make sense. If it was pooling the blood inside of you instead of drawing it out then does using a diva cup also shorten the length of periods?

I wonder if women who use mamacloth are more relaxed about their periods, on average, and thus hormones and anxiety levels are different, thereby shortening periods? Perhaps finding a period solution that makes you happy is the answer, not just mamacloth? Just curious.

crystalanne79
05-21-2010, 05:44 PM
could be! I have never used a cup so I can't give my experience on that but this is the change I have noticed when I switched to mama cloth and have had other people tell me the same.

joeymomrn
05-21-2010, 05:52 PM
not for me. I was charting my cycles well before we had ds (ttc) and my cycles were the same length as they are now, over 2 years later. But, they are less crampy. I have heard mamas say that happens naturally after childbirth, or it can anyways. I've been using mama cloth for at least a year.

I just love how it feels. That's the big convincer for me. I do agree with the pp that said disposable draw blood out whereas cloth does not do that. I bleed less on cloth, even though af is the same amount of days as before using cloth. Does that make sense?

DvlDg
05-21-2010, 07:10 PM
It did for me. I was going about 9 days and now I'm on 3-4 days. I also have less cramps and less bleeding.

MotherMoonPads
05-21-2010, 07:39 PM
It did for me, and my teenage daughter.

flynnsmom
05-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Mine is not shorter, but a bit less crampy. I do love the mama cloth :)

laceys
05-21-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm pg now but they were lighter and shorter with much pretty much no cramping and I like it much better that way.

shelby
05-21-2010, 09:09 PM
less crampy but no change in length

2queens&1princenmyhouse
05-21-2010, 09:35 PM
I think my flow is much lighter, but no change in duration.

delphinium
05-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Is this compared to disposable pads or to both pads and tampons? Just curious.

whirlwindwoman
05-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Shorter and lighter! :)

ericamichelle
05-22-2010, 12:52 AM
My postpartum flow after my last baby was lighter than with my other children.

vjbakke
05-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Mine pretty much stayed the same. The thing I was most surprised about was that when I started with cloth pads i thought I would need to change them more often than disposable ones, however I have found that I need to change them less often!

petuniajo
05-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Hasn't seemed to change mine (I went from pads and tampons to diva cup and cloth pads).

I maybe do have a bit lighter of flow (used to have 2 or 3 days of really heavy, now usually one, followed by a few days of regular/light), but if I still find I have to change more often than with disposable pads because of the smell :blush: . The sposie ones must have smell neutralizing stuff or something, because I notice that I am MUCH more sensitive about the smell with cloth pads. But I wouldn't want smell neutralizing chemicals by my girlie bits anyway, lol!

nrsenadenos
05-22-2010, 08:44 AM
No change here.

EarthMum
05-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Mama cloth cut 2 days off, and took away all of my cramps. It took the first time ever using them to see the changes. Immediate relief! I have been using mama cloth for 3 years, and I will never go back! I also understand what Crystal is saying about it not being drawn out the same way as sposies. I have the same "pooling" effect :giggle:

jmae00
05-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks ladies! I appreciate it. I think I'm sold :)

nebmama
05-22-2010, 10:44 AM
I am really curious how using mama cloth can cut down on cramps and flow. Can anybody explain it to me?

HappyEarthCreations
05-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Mine definitely got lighter and shorter after switching. Mine used to last 7-9 days, and now it's down to 4-5 days. If I remember right it took a few cycles to start to start getting shorter.

There have been a few occasions where I've had to use disposables and tampons because I didn't have my cloth with me (like when I was on vacation and it showed up earlier than expected). Those times my period went back to lasting 7-9 days again. So annoying! I really think it's something in the pads or tampons that causes longer and more painful cycles.

delphinium
05-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Interesting. I only use tampons and my periods have always been short and not painful. But this is interesting to read.

HappyEarthCreations
05-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Maybe some people are allergic to something in the disposables?

Aleta
05-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Mine cut down to about 3-5 days from 7-9. I also used to have HORRIBLE (as in not able to get off the couch) cramps, and they are gone. Well, the horrible ones, I get a little crampy the first day, but I can at least function. One heavy day, 2-4 lighter days. I can change less often, and I do get the pooling effect, but it just wipes away when I use the restroom.

I will NEVER go back - they are so comfortable, and also perfect for the 'leakage' after intimate times without feeling like I have a huge plastic pad stuffed between my legs.

jmae00
05-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for all the responses mamas! Any one having sales on seconds mama cloth, or have EEEUC mama cloth they are selling??? I only have 4 panty liners and 1 regular (and with sposies my flow is pretty heavy).

mel j
05-22-2010, 02:55 PM
I used cloths for my last two cycle (not cloth pads, just cloths) and it did seem lighter and less crampy, but I'm not really sure if it was because of not using disposables - it's actually been less painful for me ever since having my LO's! Not shorter at all though. I wonder if it's partly because of not using pads at all for 9 months? Hmm. :) And, I also found that before I had my LO's, it was less painful when I had more milk (so, I always thought the extremely painful ones possibly something to do with a lack of calcium...) I used to often get really, really sick on my first heavy day and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was partly because of the chemicals in disposable pads.

Kismet
05-22-2010, 03:34 PM
yes it does. I took about 4-6 cycles to notice a huge difference but I felt better as far as my physical cramps and discomorts almost right off. :) I will never ever go back. :)

ericamichelle
05-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the responses mamas! Any one having sales on seconds mama cloth, or have EEEUC mama cloth they are selling??? I only have 4 panty liners and 1 regular (and with sposies my flow is pretty heavy).

I offer 15% discount to Facebook fans :)
Talulah Bean (http://www.talulahbean.com)

I also have some seconds at my Hyena Cart.
Talulah Bean Hyena Cart (http://hyenacart.com/TalulahBean/index.php?c=0&p=41427)

youarelovely
05-22-2010, 05:35 PM
It has to do with the chemicals in disposable menstrual products. My period is about 2 days shorter since switching to cloth!

hbee
05-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Mine aren't any shorter, but they are definitely less crampy. And way more comfortable. I hated those stinky plastic pads.

Kriket
05-22-2010, 06:21 PM
huh.. I would have never thought in a million years cloth would shorten your period. Maybe it does has something to do with the chemicals. I am trying the diva cup for the 1st time (PPAF... ick) I have PCOS and my longest flow was 16 days. Usually it's about 9. So we'll see!
I have noticed that it's easier to keep track of how heavy your flow is with the cup. There are even calibrations on the side so if any one cared to ask I guess I could tell them exactly how much. That would be a strange conversation however.

delphinium
05-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Maybe some people are allergic to something in the disposables?

Yeah I bet this is it, especially if you were using disposable pads and are now using cloth pads. Disposable pads have all sorts of stuff in them, including perfume.

Tampons are just super tightly rolled cotton. I use OB which are made without dioxins or bleach so they are just cotton. They are not perfumed.

But yeah I bet the disposable pads can cause some health problems women are not aware of until they switch.

JnS Mama
05-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Didn't shorten my periods at all. However, the chafing and ahem, other uncomfortable issues (ahhh, sticky tape) are totally gone with cloth pads. Plus I love not having to spend money on them every month, nor dealing with the garbage issue. :)

Ami

FreetailTherapy
05-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Well, I will be a new mama cloth user when baby is born, been stocking up my stash for a while now. Wonder what it will do for me, cause I never have cramps and I have light 4 day periods every 56 days.....

HappyEarthCreations
05-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Well, I will be a new mama cloth user when baby is born, been stocking up my stash for a while now. Wonder what it will do for me, cause I never have cramps and I have light 4 day periods every 56 days.....

Wow! Lucky you!

heluvsme
05-22-2010, 08:02 PM
No change for me~but saving money is a big enough incentive for me to keep using mama cloth :thumbsup:

mpink22
05-22-2010, 08:59 PM
No change in length for me, but my periods have been lighter :)

eapoosmama
05-22-2010, 09:57 PM
notable lessening of cramping, cycle length only shortened by about 1 to 1.5 days not as notable as some others.
but my overall discomfort level is so much better since switching out to cloth in 2005. Thus why I introduced them into my product line that year.

Good luck.

GEM Cloth
05-24-2010, 07:59 AM
I did for me. My flow was not heavy or long (moderate flow for two or three days and light for about three more) in the first place and now it is even lighter and shorter. Moderate flow for one to two days and light for another day. My period has been 3.5 days for months. I don't cramp anyway.

PurpleRina
05-27-2010, 02:19 PM
However, the chafing and ahem, other uncomfortable issues (ahhh, sticky tape) are totally gone with cloth pads. Plus I love not having to spend money on them every month, nor dealing with
Ami

This! Plus: Shorter. Lighter. No smell (for me, there is NO odor now). Less cramps. NEVER go back.

Hammie43
05-27-2010, 04:53 PM
I noticed a lighter period by my second. I felt cleaner also. I don't really know about less crampy. I don't usually cramp much anyway so I remember if the cramps have lessened.

ingodslove
05-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Maybe my cycle would be different anyway- since this last pregnancy is when I started mc, but it seems like the mama cloth makes them last longer. I used to be 5 days exactly and now it 7:( BUt I always feel happy about using my mama cloth. Usually, I use a little bit of dispsoable stuff too, but mostly cloth now:)

daisymommy
05-28-2010, 09:12 PM
I went from a 8 day long period, such terrible cramps I was taking 800 mg. of motrin at a time (per dr.s orders), and going through a whole package of extra-super long pads every single period. I was also anemic each time. I felt like death!

When I switched to cloth within 2 cycles I went down to only 3-4 days, virtually no pain or cramps, very light bleeding and just using regular/thin pads. I feel so much better during that time of the month!

And for anyone who thinks it was just a coincidence, there have been 2 times that we went on vacation and I used disposable pads, and it was back to the older kind of long, heavy, painful periods right away.

Here's a great article by the way:
http://www.fresh-moon.com/article_2/The-Period-Predicament-Part-1.php

jmae00
05-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks mamas! I'll have to wait to try it out though b/c I just found out DH and I are expecting #4 :) YAY!!!!

ericamichelle
05-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks mamas! I'll have to wait to try it out though b/c I just found out DH and I are expecting #4 :) YAY!!!!

Congrats mama! So happy for you! :goodvibes: