PDA

View Full Version : Nipple Shield Help

litlkahuna
05-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Hi,

I have been using a nipple shield since end of week 1- due to my DD wanted something bigger to latch onto. I do not have inverted nipples, however her reflex was a bit further back. Anyway, I know wish I worked with her more because she is 2 months old and won't take my bare nipple. I have tired weaning her- but she just cries on the boob not latching without the shield. Any advice or help would help. Are there any babies out there past 3months that are still on the shield? I need hope. I want her off the plastic.

I've tried:
pulling the shield out quickly once she starts sucking
lots of skin to skin contact

She's a great nurser, I'm the one that wants her off the shield.

Thanks!

lovemyryguy
05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
DS1 used the shield. He flat out refused my bare breast for months. I saw an LC around month 2 and she couldn't help. He screamed and screamed when I offered the breast without the shield. So, I gave up. He finally gave it up somewhere between 5 and 6 months. Occasionally I tried without it and one day he was fine without it. And never needed it again. He's almost 2 and still nursing.

I hated the shield too, but DS2 was born on Saturday, and I'm experiencing super sore nipples that I didn't experience at all with DS1 because of the shield. So, I know its a huge pain - but hopefully your nipples don't hurt! :goodvibes: Good luck!

jess&claire
05-28-2010, 12:18 PM
I used one with DD, b/c my nips are super small and flatten out. i tried and tried to wean off of it, it wasn't until she was about 4mo. until we could nurse with out it. DS nursed great until we had to do 48hrs in the hossey do to jaundiced, i would nurse then pump and bottle feed him, he liked the bottle too much and refused to nurse so i got him back on with the shield... i keep trying to slip it off but he will not latch without it. so planning to use it until he is bigger and stronger.. hoping and praying he wean from the shield sooner then his sister, i hate the darn thing.

so hang in there and keep trying. it will happen

Ian and Anya's mommy
05-28-2010, 12:46 PM
I too had to use the shield with both of my girls and neither one of them wanted to give it up, I just kept offering it and one day she took it without and she never needed it again.

I did find if I pressed my nipple between my pointer finger and middle finger that it would flatten out and she could pull more into her mouth and get a better latch on it, I don't know how else to explain that...