Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   At what age do you start Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1279053)

pp8518 09-15-2011 08:47 AM

At what age do you start Solids

my dd is 4 months old and Im thinking of starting her off with 1 tbs of rice cereal at night with her pumped breastmilk. Is that wise or should I wait? FTM so sorry if this has already been asked!

schellebo 09-15-2011 02:29 PM

Re: At what age do you start Solids

I get later with each child. I started between 4 and 5 months with my first. 5 months with my second. 6 months with my 3rd and 10 months with the 4th. It is really better the longer you wait because their digestive systems have more time to develop. Babies don't need food that young either. If I had known then what I know now, I would have started 9-10 months with all of them, or even have waited until a year old if they were nursing fine.

myoo 09-15-2011 06:49 PM

The American Academy of Pediatrics and the World Health Organization both recommend NO solids until 6 months.

hilaryisinked 09-16-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myoo (Post 13760603)
The American Academy of Pediatrics and the World Health Organization both recommend NO solids until 6 months.

:yeahthat:

EmilytheStrange 09-17-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pp8518 (Post 13756791)
my dd is 4 months old and Im thinking of starting her off with 1 tbs of rice cereal at night with her pumped breastmilk. Is that wise or should I wait? FTM so sorry if this has already been asked!

sounds like you're wanting to put the cereal in the bottle?

there is no age when this is suggested for a non-reflux baby. Only thing that should go into bottles is breastmilk or formula.

As for actually starting solids (i.e., with the child in a high chair, with a spoon, etc), most people will say 6months or later. You want a child that is sitting unassisted, looking interested in foods, opening their mouth for the spoon and not pushing it back out with their tongue.

colin-mylilguy 09-22-2011 01:44 PM

I found a lot of helpful information on kellymom.com when trying to decide on this. I learned a lot and I was surprised by some of the research out there. Just as an example, the iron in breastmilk is more readily absorbed by the baby than the fortified iron in formula or cereals. And, the fortified iron actual prevents the absorption of the iron in breastmilk... it also changes the normal flora (healthy bacteria) in the gut and can cause upset, gas, constipation and other symptoms indicating baby isn't ready. Just a few thoughts. Snuggle up with baby and some good reading and see what you think and feel comfortable with. :goodvibes: