Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2nd day of cd'ing, daughter has a "smell"? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363111)

amykins04 03-06-2012 11:50 AM

2nd day of cd'ing, daughter has a "smell"?

This is my second day of cloth diapering. Today when I was changing her first diaper of the day I noticed she kinda has a funky smell down there. Never noticed it before. I gave her a bath yesterday and she hasn't pooped since then so I don't think it's because she isn't clean. Is it just because I'm used to the disposables having perfumes in them? We used Pampers Baby Dry previously and they have a pretty strong "baby powder" smell to them.

DiaperPalz 03-06-2012 11:52 AM

Re: 2nd day of cd'ing, daughter has a "smell"?

i think you just may be used the sposie smell mama. after a while when you smell a sposie you'll think it's so strong.

mommytoreanne 03-06-2012 11:52 AM

Is it her or the diaper? Were the diapers used or new?

amykins04 03-06-2012 11:54 AM

It's her. Some diapers are new, some are used but I stripped them before she wore them.

juliasmom 03-06-2012 12:03 PM

Hmmm, can you describe the smell? Is it mild urine, or a funky/fishy/barnyard/ammonia smell? Do the diapers stink in the pail? ITA with the PP who said that you will think that sposies stink horrendously in a few months. You will also notice that they even put that sposie chemical perfume on lots of baby toys (like dolls), because I guess people associate that stink with their sweet baby and grow to like it. :giggle:

amykins04 03-06-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliasmom (Post 14760337)
Hmmm, can you describe the smell? Is it mild urine, or a funky/fishy/barnyard/ammonia smell? Do the diapers stink in the pail? ITA with the PP who said that you will think that sposies stink horrendously in a few months. You will also notice that they even put that sposie chemical perfume on lots of baby toys (like dolls), because I guess people associate that stink with their sweet baby and grow to like it. :giggle:

The only way I know how to describe it is it's like a funky/dirty smell. Not really fishy or ammonia. Not sure what barnyard is? I smelled the dirty diaper pail and it kind of smells too. Not really sure what ammonia smells like either lol, sorry I'm no help :( I just don't want her to be getting an infection or something. She's just as happy as ever, nothing seems to be bothering her. I change her every 2-3 hours but she's not a heavy wetter.

mommytoreanne 03-06-2012 12:16 PM

What laundary soapo do you use on the diapers? If the diapers are not clean they will smell. ammonia is kinda like a strong pee smell. I use sopies at night and never really notice a smell and my older one uses luvs.

CuriousElephant 03-06-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliasmom (Post 14760337)

I agree with describing the smell. I had stink issues before I realized it was stink issues, if that makes sense. I didn't know that cloth wasn't really supposed to smell and it wasn't until I had a good wash routine that we no longer had stink issues.

As for sposies, we use one overnight and I don't think they have a scent at all. YMMV.

amykins04 03-06-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommytoreanne (Post 14760414)
What laundary soapo do you use on the diapers? If the diapers are not clean they will smell. ammonia is kinda like a strong pee smell. I use sopies at night and never really notice a smell and my older one uses luvs.

We use BumGenius detergent. I still use disposables at night too just because I am waiting for bamboo inserts to come in. I guess I will have to wash them a few times before I use them again. How hot can the water be? My hot water heater is set pretty high, like 140 degrees, is that too hot? I don't want to damage the diapers. Right now we are using mostly Softbums, Oh Katys, and BGs.

thirdtimemomma 03-06-2012 12:31 PM

I would try a Hot wash with 1 tsp Dawn and 1/4 cup bleach, then another wash Hot with nothing. Just to disinfect and/or strip detergent build up out. Then air dry covers and dryer dry inserts as usual. Its possible that she just has stinky pee.. (you clean the "in between" areas right? I didnt know to do that with my first DD, our pedi had to tell me *ROFL* so that is why I ask)