Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Any Planet detergent users? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1002874)

abigail_b 06-07-2010 09:39 AM

Any Planet detergent users?

We use liquid Planet detergent in our front loader. I am having a hard time getting it rinsed out. I do about 5 rinsing loads (which means a delicate cycle on warm/warm) to get them fully rinsed. If I use less detergent I feel like the diapers don't get clean enough.
I just happened to read the other day that it is harder for natural surfacants to rinse out of diapers, and that this is a common problem for build up/rashes with "natural detergents". Any comments? Experience?
With all the raving about Tide I am thinking of switching!!

cautiouslyoptimistic 06-07-2010 09:47 AM

Re: Any Planet detergent users?

I use it in my front loader and do 3 rinses. I don't really check anymore to see that all the bubbles are gone, but I don't have any problems. And we use a lot of detergent... up to the 3 line and put ~1/3 in the pre wash and 2/3 in the main wash (I know this isn't really popular around here, but it works for us). And every month I do a preventative routine involving a quick bleach soak of my inserts and a Tide powder wash.

And a couple of bubbles are ok, suds are not. If you aren't having problems I wouldn't drive myself made trying to rinse.

MegsMom 06-07-2010 09:49 AM

I use/used Planet on my diapers. My DD is PLing now so we are not washing as often. I did not have any problems. I did a cold wash/rinse w/ about a 1/8 cup of detergent. I also added a squirt of Bac-Out in this cycle. I then did a hot wash/rinse w/ 1/4 cup of detergent. I had few stains and if I did I would sun. I also would spray the poopy diapers with bac-out as well.

Hope that helps.

Mk13 06-07-2010 10:09 AM

I use it and don't have any problems either. I put a little bit in the first cold rinse and then do a regular wash with extra rinse in the end and do extra water too. Never noticed any problems. I use it on my toddler's and baby's clothes as well doing just a quick wash program with extra rinse and no problems there either.

larsencass 06-07-2010 11:21 AM

I used Planet until I started having alot of stink issues. I finally switched to Rockin' Green and wished I had switched sooner. I would do 4 rinses then finally give up with Planet. But the ammonia smell would be horrible in the morning, so they were not clean.
Good luck!

thaisa47 06-07-2010 11:36 AM

I used to use Planet, and I am so glad I made the switch. I was having terrible build-up and stink issues. I never really felt like my diapers were getting clean. I would have to rinse over and over, and was stripping quite often. We made the switch to Tide a year ago and haven't looked back. :)

abigail_b 06-07-2010 11:54 AM

Thanks for the replies! Those that are using it without any problems- what kind of diapers do you use?
We use natural fibers primarily (cotton and bamboo), but I just ordered some BGs for when I want a trim, stay dry option.
Those that have switched to Tide- powder or liquid?

M&M+Cmomma 06-07-2010 12:11 PM

Used Planet for a couple of months... so hard to get them to rinse clean and the ammonia smell after a pee was HORRIBLE!
Switched to Rockin' Green!

cautiouslyoptimistic 06-07-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abigail_b (Post 10437723)
Thanks for the replies! Those that are using it without any problems- what kind of diapers do you use?

My stash is all microfiber and hemp pockets.

Lovey 06-07-2010 12:18 PM

I used both the liquid and powder early in my CD'ing - switched to Tide because of ammonia smells.

Just a thought for trial - I add my detergent in the cold prewash cycle so that the "hot wash" will help with the rinsing (my theory is warmer water rinses better). I only do one extra rinse with Tide - don't know what your wash routine is - but maybe that might help cut down on your rinses?? Hopefully that makes sense! :thumbsup: