Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Canadian mamas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478420)

EmmaGM 01-05-2013 08:51 PM

Canadian mamas

What's that thing called you get, the $100/mo for every child under 6? Am I even thinking of the right country... gosh I'll be so embarrassed if I'm not...

Assuming I'm not making a total fool of myself, I was curious how that is delivered. Is it in your paycheck? Separate check every month? Big check at the end of the year?

If I AM making a total fool of myself, disregard everything I said up there and pretend I said this: how's the weather up there? :hide:

Computermama 01-05-2013 08:55 PM

Re: Canadian mamas

It's the universal child care benefit. It's either mailed to you or direct deposited to an account you specify around the 20th of each month(earlier in Dec, about the 12th). If your income allows, there's also the Canada Child Tax Credit, which is delivered at the same time, but that is income based (calculated based on the previous year's tax return). The UCCB is not based on income, but it is considered taxable income.

eljube112 01-05-2013 08:56 PM

Universal Childcare Credit. It's monthly, either by cheque, or in my case, direct deposit.

we use it to pay for our children's RESP's since I am a SAHM and don't have child care costs. :)

that is on top of our child tax credit, which we also get monthly.

chandni3 01-05-2013 08:56 PM

Baby bonus? I have one daughter and I get two checks every month. One is for children under 5 years and is about $100 and the other you get until they are 18 years old and is about $65. I think the first one everyone gets and the second one is based on your income. Not sure but it really helps. We put some of it in her college fund and use some for her life insurance.

ETA: everyone else answered that better than me. :)

EmmaGM 01-05-2013 09:00 PM

Oh.. That's interesting. I thought it would be in lieu of a child tax credit. Or at least that's how I kept myself from feeling cheated by being American.

You win again, moose wranglers.

eljube112 01-05-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaGM (Post 16120370)
Oh.. That's interesting. I thought it would be in lieu of a child tax credit. Or at least that's how I kept myself from feeling cheated by being American.

So I don't need to brag about not having medical bills from having a baby 8 weeks ago? ;)

ckck 01-05-2013 09:03 PM

We use ours towards world vision children. We collect for 2 children, so we have 4 adopted wv children it goes to.

ckck 01-05-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eljube112 (Post 16120377)
So I don't need to brag about not having medical bills from having a baby 8 weeks ago? ;)

:giggle2:

EmmaGM 01-05-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eljube112 (Post 16120377)

Ouch. My heart. It breaks into many, many pieces. :cry:

craigwick 01-05-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaGM (Post 16120370)

lol...nope, child tax is extra and goes by income (but thankfully isn't counted as income like the UCCB is, that is always a kicker when I do my taxes!)