Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   My baby is constipated...HELP! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1083684)

Lovely 09-30-2010 09:10 PM

My baby is constipated...HELP!

DS, who is 6 weeks old, hasn't had a bowel movement since Monday. I called the doc today and she said to give him a glycerin suppository. So I gave him 1/2 of the Pedia-lax liquid suppository (per the pharmacist suggestion). The doc also said to give him 2 oz of white grape juice each day, which I haven't done yet.

He still hasn't pooped, but I think most of the liquid came right out. I'm at a loss of what to do. Also, why is this happening? He is EBF. I haven't changed my diet, except for adding Fenugreek. Can that cause it?

Thanks for any help!

melanalyus 09-30-2010 09:15 PM

Re: My baby is constipated...HELP!

Most breastfed babies are not constipated....just follow a differernt pooping schedule than the rest of us.

My latest babies pooopd once a week for months. No constipation. Their bowels were soft and yellow (like bf'd poop).

I would recommend gently inserting rectal thermometer to see if that wil elicit a response. Prune juice/water mixture, Glycerin supositories, Karo Syrup.....all in that order.

Goo dluck!

JMFutures 09-30-2010 09:15 PM

are you sure he is CONSTIPATED? Does lo actually pass hard stools? My almost 10 mo old goes almost 3-4 weeks without going and was EBF and just finally taking to solids! While BFing this is not uncommon - everything LO takes in is absorbed! HTH

ETA: When my Little man did finally go - it was a normal EBF stool - thick oatmeal consistency stool!!

ETA - again: If his abdomen isn't distended or rigid, or he doesn't appear to be in pain - more than likely he is not constipated!

Lovely 09-30-2010 09:16 PM

Wow, really? I didn't think it was normal for them to get constipated but I didn't know they could go days. Up until this point he was pooping at least 3x.day.

Thanks for the reassurance mama :)

amitchell98 09-30-2010 09:18 PM

You know, he could just be changing his schedule. My son did this at that exact age. He used to poop all the time, like every diaper change, then at 6 weeks he just stopped. No poop for a week! I was a little nervous, but our ped. assured us it was normal. And that was that. He was also EBF and after that only pooped every 5 days or so until he started solids. I never gave him anything. Oh...and I would NOT give him juice at all. His little body is too small to process that.

I did hear (and I can't remember if it worked or not) that if I ate a lot of cantaloupe he would poop. This works great for my son now at 2 years old, so you could give it a shot.

Lovely 09-30-2010 09:30 PM

thanks, I really didn't want to give him the juice. I'm going to wait it out a few more days before doing that. Thanks so much...I love diaperswappers mamas :)

bootiecutie 10-01-2010 12:34 AM

If he does end up having a difficult poop you could try massage... gently rub his tummy in a clockwise direction. Sometimes those teeny intestines just need a little boost to remember what they're supposed to do!

apboyles 10-01-2010 01:01 AM

My lactation consultant said that around that age they go through a growth spurt where they can hold more in so they poop less. I'm glad you asked this though so I'm not freaked when we go through it in a couple weeks :)

jveprek 10-01-2010 01:12 AM

Totally sounds like a growth spurt. I actually called our Ped one day about it with conner because it had been 3 days. He giggled and told me to call when it's been 10!

heluvsme 10-01-2010 01:42 AM

No worries, mama. One of my lo's didn't poop for like 2 weeks once. She was exclusively bf. I know it seems weird, but it's really not. I wouldn't do anything to interfere unless your lo is acting like she is in pain.