Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community -

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - (
-   Parenting Talk (
-   -   Birthday Party Favors (

Ainmemphis 09-17-2012 11:58 AM

Last year we did a tailgate party and I made bean bags for the kids had pom poms and cowbells (school tradition) this year we are renting a bounce house and I really don't want to do favors. Extra expense and can't think of anything reusesble. So will subscribe to thus thread for ideas.

Mama*Kim 09-17-2012 12:03 PM

Another idea. I just found clear plastic tumblers at Dollar Tree yesterday. The semi-insulated kind with lids and straws. You could grab one per kid, put a cute thank you note inside facing out and put a couple of goodies inside like the little boxes of raisins or bags of pretzels. Simple, easy, not a lot of cost per kid, and not a bunch of junk.

bluedaisyma 09-17-2012 12:28 PM

Re: Birthday Party Favors
maybe you could ask the bounce house for coupons for a return visit? you could attach them to a pumpkin muffin in a bag or a caramel apple.

I also like the bounce ball balloons thing a pp suggested. Or have a craft in the party room where everyone makes a bouncy ball? or some felt pizza? (since you are serving pizza). I have started only doing favors that are a craft that go with our theme (like choc coins and other treasures the kids found at a pirate party). Consumables are also a great idea, esp if it's something the kids help make.

danielle 09-17-2012 12:38 PM

I love the caramel apple idea and an admission to the bounce house idea! If my 4 year old got a caramel apple as a party gift she'd be super excited. In fact I should make a few. Caramel is really easy to make.

Bags full of crap are sad. I was thinking of giving stainless steel cups with colored bands but I just couldn't get them cheaply enough. It was going to be $7 each and my budget was $4.

jac1976 09-17-2012 12:48 PM

I have found that goody bags are generally expected at parties. I have had children ask for them at every party I have thrown. I hate getting the bags full of candy or small plastic toys, so I tend to buy one larger item (generally around $5) and just give the kids that as their 'goody bag'. One year I did small crayon rolls, another year they got personalized place mats, this past year for DS' lego party, the kids each got a minifigure.

kbz2002 09-17-2012 01:20 PM

I think every birthday party we have gone to, we might have gotten a goodie bag. Maybe one or two we didn't. I'm not really big on goodie bags since the majority of times it's just been candy or something that I'm not too fond of.

I like the ideas though! Thank you

One more question though. This is my first birthday party at an actual place, do I tip the person who is watching over the party? How much is usually expected?

sanddimarie 09-17-2012 01:21 PM

The bounce house is the favor. We're doing Little Gym for my son's second party. They get to come and have an awesome time. They also get pizza and cake. Maybe I'm cheap and/or lazy but that's good enough. :)

My friend, however, just had her daughter's fifth birthday party. It was a mermaid theme and she gave everyone a little bubble container. Super cute.

Mom2Connor 09-17-2012 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by MDever
I am not a fan of party goodie bags:blush: I know it sounds rude but I could really do without a plastic bag full of crap. I think 1 nice consumable item as a thank you is ok. Maybe like a caramel apple since it is fall?

Me too.

yellowitchgrl 09-17-2012 02:49 PM

This year I made snack sacks and stuck a lego figure in each. Previous years I've done other things. A very simple one is get a party pack of play dough and give each kid one. You'll spend about $1 per kid.

yellowitchgrl 09-17-2012 02:50 PM

no idea on the tip where you are, but I think not here.

also the bounce place may offer a favor. They do here for a small added fee