Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   if you have China do you use it? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1500746)

neonalee 03-17-2013 09:00 AM

if you have China do you use it?

I have a full set from my first marriage that I absolutely love. I used it exclusively after the divorce. But now I have a 14 year old SD, a 2.5 year old son, and a man who may or may not remember it's China. Should I use it?

The alternative was that we were going to buy Corell because it stacks nice, won't break & is light enough for DS to carry to & from table.

Mags462 03-17-2013 02:52 PM

Re: if you have China do you use it?

My boys are 7,5, and almost 4 and we use our china a lot. I wouldn't say "all the time" because we make it a point for them to know its "Special" but we let them handle it yes. I figure if i spend my whole life waiting for them to be "old enough" to use it it won't get used much. yes it's expensive, and mine happens to be discontinued..... but i love it, and want to enjoy it, so we use it for parties, birthdays, etc. :thumbsup:

neonalee 03-17-2013 04:27 PM

Thanks Maggie! I have a feeling we are going to. This means my 14 year old SD will be banned from doing dishes as she is unable to stack correctly and bangs them around when she is angry. She'll be thrilled. Until she wants $$ =P

Then again - maybe the fact that they ARE special will get her to at least stack correctly? It would be worth a broken plate if she learned to control herself.

cmarsh31 03-17-2013 04:34 PM

My set was given to me by my grandparents - so we use it for holidays, etc, but not everyday.

Tiffanylamp 03-17-2013 04:35 PM

I have fine china that I love and we use it for special occasion (not so much every day). However, I do have a very nice set of dishes that we use everyday. It probably is considered "china" but has a little more heft to it and not quite as expensive as my "good china".

One thing I might recommend is for your 2.5 year old son to have his own "set" of dishes that are for children. My sister and I grew up with our own "dishes" (they were strawberry shortcake!) and we loved them! Plus, it allowed my parents to enjoy my mom's nice dishes:)

One thing I love about using nice dishes is how the meal feels. To me it says "no cell phones" and "turn off the tv" and let's just enjoy each other and the food:) I guess I feel like the dishes give the table a push toward authority;)

neonalee 03-17-2013 04:49 PM

Tiffany - I actually was thinking about getting him his own dishes! LOL Doesn't solve the 14 yr old though, sigh.

Tiffanylamp 03-17-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neonalee (Post 16405338)
Tiffany - I actually was thinking about getting him his own dishes! LOL Doesn't solve the 14 yr old though, sigh.

:giggle2:

ulawolf 03-17-2013 06:20 PM

Yes. I try to use it often. With friends for coffee, luncheons, dinner parties with friends. Also for holidays. I love my china. My gfs come.over once a month and we we have couple dinner parties about once a month too.

kimb96 03-17-2013 08:12 PM

My everyday dishes are fiestaware so they are pretty nice. We haven't lost a single piece in 18 months. Ds is 9 and I've always expressed how important it is to take care of things. I trust him with the dishes but not my 3 nieces who are older. They've never been taught to take care of things and can be very careless. I do have a set of china that belonged to my great grandmother that we use on special occasions...birthdays and holidays and such. To me, I think it is a nice touch to use good dishes. I refuse to use paper plates. We went through a kitchen remodel and didn't use a single paper plate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neonalee (Post 16405275)
Thanks Maggie! I have a feeling we are going to. This means my 14 year old SD will be banned from doing dishes as she is unable to stack correctly and bangs them around when she is angry. She'll be thrilled. Until she wants $$ =P

Then again - maybe the fact that they ARE special will get her to at least stack correctly? It would be worth a broken plate if she learned to control herself.

I'd make her pay for replacements and that will teach her to be careful. You can buy replacements for almost every china on replacements.com. It might be expensive but they can be replaced. I was even able to find replacement pieces to my great grandmothers set and they are pretty old. She had a service for 12 but a few pieces were broken over the years and I replaced them.

Leiiki 03-17-2013 09:18 PM

We have a complete service for 12 of Tiffany Limoges "Monet" that was my parents' from when they got married. The set includes some things we just have no use for - like demitasse cups - but we do use most of the dishes for holiday meals, romantic dinners if DD is asleep, and occasionally for a fancy family meal. They aren't dishwasher-safe, which is really the only reason I don't use them exclusively. We do use our real silver as our everyday silverware.

If you're curious, this is the pattern we have:
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7447516