Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Food Help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1610270)

Mommy2JandS 04-29-2015 04:15 PM

Food Help!

My 7 year old with SPD is kinda "regressing" with what he will eat as far as protein goes. He will eat ham, ground beef and used to eat chicken.. but recently is refusing to eat even plain chicken (he has never eaten it in the meals we make) He also doesn't drink milk and only eats yogurt very occasionally. He does eat some cheese. What else can I feed him to get protein?

qsefthuko 04-29-2015 04:56 PM

Re: Food Help!

Will he eat nuts of any kind? How about protein shakes? Does he eat a variety of veggies? Beans, peas, lentils, etc?

Mommy2JandS 04-29-2015 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsefthuko (Post 17593307)
Will he eat nuts of any kind? How about protein shakes? Does he eat a variety of veggies? Beans, peas, lentils, etc?

Hmm.. maybe peanuts. He won't do shakes because they are too much like milk. Veggies he eats if cooked. He'll eat chili, but that's not frequently enough to be of a regular help.

qsefthuko 04-29-2015 08:30 PM

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/ar...in-protein.php here is a list of veggies according to protein content. Then I think you need to figure out just how much protein he really needs. He may well be getting enough.

5Roadies 05-05-2015 01:24 PM

Quinoa? Nut butters? We often do quesadillas with just cheese and smashed black beans for lunch, and even the whole-wheat tortilla has a surprising amount of protein. Kids don't need a huge amount of protein, so I agree with qsefhuko- see how much he really needs and work from there.

libbygood 05-05-2015 02:38 PM

Some brands of whole wheat pita pockets have a decent amount of protein. I found a brand that has 8 grams of protein in one pita! I threw away the bag though and can't remember the name :(

Agla 05-05-2015 02:57 PM

Someone I knew resorted to baking her own bread with different things added to boost protein. This was years ago or I'd offer more details.

isabelsmummy 07-23-2015 07:59 PM

Egg noodles have a lot of protein. Will he do noodles?

SharedTheJourney 08-22-2015 02:24 PM

Eggs, Tuna, Beans, Peanuts and other nuts and dishes involving peanut sauces, banana-peanut butter sandwhiches, Beans, burritos, or Cooked and food processed Bean Paste to add to other recipes, ie. a sneaky spoonful in cookie batter or here and there into any other recipe, Smoothies either with milk or with a small slice of tofu to add the protein. Quinoa is both high in iron and in protein, a sprinkle of whole wheat germ on top of his morning cereals, cheese melts, quesadillas, hot open sandwiches involving both ham and cheese, mashed potatoes with cream cheese or cheddar, cream, and/or bacon bits, and baked potato with cheese (is considered a complete protein). Other legumes/beans (lentils, split or whole peas with ham, etc.) Chili, hamburger, homemade chicken fingers made with chopped chicken and rolled onto egg wash before mix of breadcrumbs and wheat germ, Chickpeas or hummus spreads. Turkey, Steak sliders into little sandwiches, etc. Have some finicky eaters here and I have learned to be a little creative in the kitchen just to get past the "I don't want this issues" and to be able to get a more balanced diet into them.

kim77407 05-06-2017 12:24 PM

Try some green vegetables like Broccoli they are good source of protein and very healthy for kids and adults. You can try some protein shakes but they are full of sugar which not good at all.Get some with very less sugar ...