Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   detergent build up UGH! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457837)

cassie.sattler 10-26-2012 05:56 PM

detergent build up UGH!

so owens dipes started smelling like ammonia and coffee(maybe because i use them when i spill my coffee some times?) when he wore them :( so i did some reading and the easiest thing to try first was extra rinses. after 5 whole extra rinses our bubbles finally diminished:banghead:. there are still some bubbles maybe a stray patch here and there but OMG the water used:yuck::yuck: i gave up on the 2nd rinse because i thought it was rinsing out really well but i guess i was wrong. i really hope this helps the smells. they have always smelled clean out of the washer/dryer :blush::blush:
should i try using less detergent? i mix 1 part all f/c and one part tide in a bucket and just use three scoops of the combined detergents. i also have a top loader and run a pre rinse then a regular wash.
wwyd?
kinda makes me wonder what my normal cloths look like:headscratch:

thtr4me 10-26-2012 06:36 PM

Re: detergent build up UGH!

Sounds to me like they are just not getting clean enough. Ammonia smell = bacteria.

abunchoflemons 10-26-2012 06:38 PM

I would try oxiclean or whip it. Sun?

cassie.sattler 10-26-2012 06:57 PM

sun helped alot! but Minnesota weather is not conducive to line drying. how much oxy per load?

waldorf and ragamuffins 10-26-2012 07:00 PM

I would try a small scoop of OC, then some additional extra rinses! Hello from MN!!! I just moved away (boo) from Minneapolis! I miss it! We are in the south now and it's HOT! I heard it snowed yesterday! Miss the snow!

Take care!

Samantha

cassie.sattler 10-26-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldorf and ragamuffins (Post 15862831)
I would try a small scoop of OC, then some additional extra rinses! Hello from MN!!! I just moved away (boo) from Minneapolis! I miss it! We are in the south now and it's HOT! I heard it snowed yesterday! Miss the sn
Take care!
Samantha

yea im in St. paul. so in addition to my detergent adding some oxy? and extra rinses? hot rinses?

greencrunchymama 10-26-2012 07:40 PM

I'd bleach personally. You shouldn't have to use a ton, but at least you know you'll be killing the bacteria.

Jeanne 10-26-2012 07:55 PM

To strip ours I actually put them in our dishwasher and turn OFF the heated dry. Run w/o any detergent. Works like a charm. You can open it and see the nasty water in the bottom of the machine. It's amazing.

cassie.sattler 10-26-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne (Post 15863053)
To strip ours I actually put them in our dishwasher and turn OFF the heated dry. Run w/o any detergent. Works like a charm. You can open it and see the nasty water in the bottom of the machine. It's amazing.

i live with my in laws. that would not go over well... however i could more then likely bring down boiling water.

iv used bleach before and after so long it just stopped doing much. the smell is hardly noticeable so im hoping those rinses helped.

iv also never had to strip before

Blooms4210 10-26-2012 10:12 PM

You can try to find out what kind of water you have. This will help you determine what detergent is best and how much to use. When I strip diapers I use blue dawn. I scrub all diapers/inserts by hand and rinse until clear in tub. I also will run until clear with HOT water(add a few pots of boiling) in the washer. Another thing I did was ditch my microfiber inserts. For the life of me I couldn't get rid of the funky smell. I switched to stuffing pockets with yellow edge GMD prefolds. They clean amazing and absorb so much more.