Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Am I too chubby for a moby style wrap? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165318)

2+2macht4 02-24-2011 01:56 AM

Am I too chubby for a moby style wrap?

I know this may seem silly, but my midwife left me a 5 meter long amazonas (yimilar to moby) wrap. I tried it the way she showed me-

Start with the middle at the stomach wrap behind the hips, over the back in an x and bring over the shoulers, x in the fornt and bring around the waist and tie. The same hold used in the moby adverts if you need a visual.

But I did that and there is no room left to tie???

Do the sell wraps in different sizes or am I doing something wrong? I am not that big maybe a size 14. I am shocked a 5 meter wrap did not fit.

EricaLynn 02-24-2011 02:08 AM

Is it a stretchy wrap like a moby or woven like a didymos? If your wrapping a newbie with a stretchy wrap it should be pretty snug when you tie it.

2+2macht4 02-24-2011 02:10 AM

Re: Am I too chubby for a moby style wrap?

This one is a woven wrap. my son is 10 weeks and about 12 pounds.

Without him in it i can tie it. But once he is in, I have so less fabric I could not knot it. It reached and touched but not enough to securly tie it.

ExpatMama1990 02-24-2011 02:27 AM

Hmm, maybe you need a different length... My DH can just about tie our wrap (not sure we've tried with baby in it though!) it is WAHM. He's in XL clothes.

Numommy 02-24-2011 02:48 AM

I think you should try a different "wrapping technique". Go over thebabywearer.com and they have videos on every technique known to man. I think its psbl a 5m is too small w that wrap, but there are loads of options, that one being my least favorite. My most fav for newbie is fwcc, forward wrap cross carry.

HeavenlyHold 02-24-2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numommy (Post 12363397)
I think you should try a different "wrapping technique". Go over thebabywearer.com and they have videos on every technique known to man. I think its psbl a 5m is too small w that wrap, but there are loads of options, that one being my least favorite. My most fav for newbie is fwcc, forward wrap cross carry.

What she said! : )

MamaRachel 02-24-2011 09:16 AM

If it's really a 5m (it's possible that it shrunk or was mis-marked) then it should be long enough- I'm larger than you and can do that carry easily in a 5m.
I wonder if you're not trying to tie it too low? His bottom should be level with your belly button and you should be able to kiss the top of his head easily.

If it really is too small, then yes they do make wraps in a variety of different sizes or you could try a different carry with that wrap. This chart should help- it lists a lot of the different carries as well as the length of wrap needed for people of different sizes :goodvibes:

calind115 02-24-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaRachel (Post 12364508)
If it's really a 5m (it's possible that it shrunk or was mis-marked) then it should be long enough- I'm larger than you and can do that carry easily in a 5m.
I wonder if you're not trying to tie it too low? His bottom should be level with your belly button and you should be able to kiss the top of his head easily.

:yeahthat:
i would say check out some other carries while you on tbw. but first i agree, measure it. i can wrap both of my twins in 5m and by the sounds of it im bigger tehn you:blush:

2+2macht4 02-24-2011 12:10 PM

I have been trying to cross it in the front and tie it back around my hips. hmm. I will have to try some of the other tieing techniques.

hilaryisinked 02-24-2011 12:48 PM

I agree that it is possible that it could have shrunk. I accidentally shrunk my Moby Wrap and there was barely any excess when it used to have tons. (I'm 100 lbs)