Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Now Asthma! Any quiet or slient nebulizer machines? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=900634)

ClothDiaperingMama 01-03-2010 11:10 PM

Now Asthma! Any quiet or slient nebulizer machines?

We just got home from the hospital a night ago because ds1 was taken to the ER the morning after Christmas. He spent almost a week in and 4 of those were in Pediatric Intensive Care. He has a ton of allergies, but has never had any problems breathing {well that wasn't an allergic reaction} or any asthma symptoms. He got a runny nose Christmas Day and by that night {early in the am about 3am} he woke up sick. He went back to sleep but woke up once more before the morning. When we got up he was really having a hard time breathing... to make a long story short he had a severe asthma attack that took days to come out of. He was having continious breathing treatments that were not helping at all. They added helium also. They have sent us home with the rescue inhalers and a ton of meds. The nebulizer machine is too loud for his sensory issues so I am not sure what to do. We are supposed to call the Ped tomorrow and set up an appointment. {We just moved here so new ped.} I am wondering what you do for your sensory issues child who needs to have a breathing treatment at home but can't stand the loud noise the machines make. Surely there are quieter machines right? If so, does anyone know where I can find one for him. I need it before a crisis pops up again.

Thanks so much!:goodvibes:

ClothDiaperingMama 01-05-2010 03:19 PM

Re: Now Asthma! Any quiet or slient nebulizer machines?

Anyone?:headscratch:

kadiera 01-06-2010 11:56 AM

Ultrasonic nebulizers are a lot quieter (the things they sell as "quiet" nebs right now are a joke). Most insurance companies won't pay for them, but they can be found new online (ebay in particular) for $30-$50. You'll still have to have a prescription to get it, but it's better than the loud obnoxious things they try to pass off as portable.

Green.Mommy 01-06-2010 12:23 PM

I dont know of any but I wanted to give you a :hugs: !
I know how hard this all is when it seems like its one thing after another.:hugs: :hugs:

ClothDiaperingMama 01-07-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadiera (Post 9251265)
Ultrasonic nebulizers are a lot quieter (the things they sell as "quiet" nebs right now are a joke). Most insurance companies won't pay for them, but they can be found new online (ebay in particular) for $30-$50. You'll still have to have a prescription to get it, but it's better than the loud obnoxious things they try to pass off as portable.

The one they gave us at the hospital is so loud that it bothers me!:blush: I can pretty much put up with most things but that thing makes me feel nervous. I will definitely check those out. We don't mind paying for one because the one he has now he won't use. I honestly don't blame him.
Thanks again for your help!:hugs:

ClothDiaperingMama 01-07-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green.Mommy (Post 9251528)
I dont know of any but I wanted to give you a :hugs: !
I know how hard this all is when it seems like its one thing after another.:hugs: :hugs:

Thanks mama!:hugs: I should be so thankful that things aren't worse as I know many moms whose LOs are far worse off. I guess I was just having a pity party after sitting in Intensive Care for days with him not responding to any of the meds or things they were doing. He has never had any Asthma symptoms or problems so it was a complete shock. I honestly was afraid he would die because he was so bad off and nothing was working for so long. :cry:

I felt better having the nebulizer at home, but he won't go near it. I am just hoping that some company makes a silent or almost silent one so that he doesn't end up in the ER every time. We are going to discuss it with the drs next week. I am hoping they can find us one even if we have to pay out of our own pockets. His sensory issues are pretty bad and he needs the nebulizer at home.

Thanks again for the hugs! Sending you lots of them too mama!!!:hugs: :hugs:

kadiera 01-07-2010 01:09 PM

Also, you may want to ask your doctor about getting a "spacer" - a thing that goes between the inhaler and your mouth, so even fairly young children can use an inhaler rather than a nebulizer most of the time.

I was just poking around online, and it looks like neb prices have gone up a bit, but an ultrasonic is still a lot quieter than a compressor, and is a lot more portable - sometimes even battery powered, so it can be used anywhere.

From my own experience, and experiences with my son, I'd also highly recommend getting a referral to a pulmonologist or an allergist - someone who specializes in breathing issues - so you can come up with a good plan to help you and your son avoid the ER.

mismaggie 01-07-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadiera (Post 9261179)
Also, you may want to ask your doctor about getting a "spacer" - a thing that goes between the inhaler and your mouth, so even fairly young children can use an inhaler rather than a nebulizer most of the time.

I was just poking around online, and it looks like neb prices have gone up a bit, but an ultrasonic is still a lot quieter than a compressor, and is a lot more portable - sometimes even battery powered, so it can be used anywhere.

From my own experience, and experiences with my son, I'd also highly recommend getting a referral to a pulmonologist or an allergist - someone who specializes in breathing issues - so you can come up with a good plan to help you and your son avoid the ER.

Absolutely, I think ours is called an "Aero-Chamber" it made all the difference for my sons rescue inhaler. I know there are maintenance meds that have to go in a nebulizer though. Ours is a regular machine but it's really not very loud. I think it varies from machine to machine because our last one was super loud:yuck: I hope you get it all worked out mama. BIG :hugs: to you and your little one.

Green.Mommy 01-07-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClothDiaperingMama (Post 9261046)
Thanks mama!:hugs: I should be so thankful that things aren't worse as I know many moms whose LOs are far worse off. I guess I was just having a pity party after sitting in Intensive Care for days with him not responding to any of the meds or things they were doing. He has never had any Asthma symptoms or problems so it was a complete shock. I honestly was afraid he would die because he was so bad off and nothing was working for so long. :cry:

I felt better having the nebulizer at home, but he won't go near it. I am just hoping that some company makes a silent or almost silent one so that he doesn't end up in the ER every time. We are going to discuss it with the drs next week. I am hoping they can find us one even if we have to pay out of our own pockets. His sensory issues are pretty bad and he needs the nebulizer at home.

Thanks again for the hugs! Sending you lots of them too mama!!!:hugs: :hugs:

You have every right to have a pity party!:hugs: No parent should ever have to have a child in the ICU, its horrible!
I hope his asthma stays under control for you!:hugs: :hugs:

ClothDiaperingMama 01-07-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadiera (Post 9261179)

He has always had an allergist as he has severe food allergies. We just have never had any asthma attacks, etc. We just moved here about 2 months ago, but we also now have a Pulmonary for ds. He will be seeing him next week. The hospital was great and already gave us a plan to avoid the ER. We have the liquid and inhaled steroids, rescue inhaler, and the nebulizer. The spacer and mask were used at the hospital so we already have all of that too. The dr thought ds would like the nebulizer better during the night so we didn't have to wake him up every two hours. It is now up to 6 hours, so doing much better. DS has the "Nic" the dragon masks which he seems to like okay. I think the smooth ones are better for sleeping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mismaggie (Post 9261859)
Absolutely, I think ours is called an "Aero-Chamber" it made all the difference for my sons rescue inhaler. I know there are maintenance meds that have to go in a nebulizer though. Ours is a regular machine but it's really not very loud. I think it varies from machine to machine because our last one was super loud:yuck: I hope you get it all worked out mama. BIG :hugs: to you and your little one.

Yes. that is what ours is called too. It has a mask on it also for ds. The masks are cute {dragon kid ones], but the machine is very loud.

Thanks for all of your support!:hugs: