Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Cloth and circumcision (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450488)

RockinLou 10-04-2012 04:28 PM

Re: Cloth and circumcision

vaseline, gauze squares, and you're good, you need to use it with disposables as much as cloth, but we changed VERY frequently because I always felt he would be very uncomfortable with urine on him even though the vaseline supposedly kept it off... he was healed within a week. I used cloth the entire time and never had an issue with it.

tentrevival 10-04-2012 04:37 PM

same as above we used 3x3 gauze squares and a big glob of triple antibiotic ointment. they didn't have any problems, and the diapers didn't get any absorbency problems. the rabbi loved our diapers!

meljc 10-04-2012 04:43 PM

We still used disposables at that time, but I second the other comments regarding gauze. Upon our doula's recommendation, we purchased a large tube of aquaphor to squeeze onto the gauze just to be sure that nothing from our fingers got into the open wound as it healed.

Our son was circumcised at his bris, so we were there for the procedure and immediate dressing (not sure how it works in a hospital). Personally, I would use disposable diapers or disposable inserts (like Grovia biosoakers, Flip inserts, or Gdiaper inserts) for the first few changes post-circ. Just thinking practically... they always say to clean blood in cold water, but diapers in hot water! Beyond that, gauze should be sufficient.

Jennipenny 10-04-2012 06:27 PM

I did both. I used spoisies until we ran out of what friends and family gave us as gifts and then finished off with cloth. Once I moved to cloth I just used a fleece liner and there where no issues :)

paper_girl_76 10-04-2012 06:36 PM

i used fleece liners, then just threw them in with the diapers

flowersinsand 10-08-2012 10:09 AM

Whats CJ's?
Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyeSpade (Post 15770478)
I used a liner, but they recommended that with sposies anyway, to prevent sticking. Instead of vaseline, which we used with DS1 and sposies, we used.CJ's. The ped and nurses were really impressed with it and I DS2 healed really nicely because of it.

aimeeturd 10-08-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flowersinsand
Whats CJ's?

CJ's BUTTer

Van1300 10-08-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meljc (Post 15770614)
We still used disposables at that time, but I second the other comments regarding gauze. Upon our doula's recommendation, we purchased a large tube of aquaphor to squeeze onto the gauze just to be sure that nothing from our fingers got into the open wound as it healed.

Our son was circumcised at his bris, so we were there for the procedure and immediate dressing (not sure how it works in a hospital). Personally, I would use disposable diapers or disposable inserts (like Grovia biosoakers, Flip inserts, or Gdiaper inserts) for the first few changes post-circ. Just thinking practically... they always say to clean blood in cold water, but diapers in hot water! Beyond that, gauze should be sufficient.

I didn't even think about this whole CD and circ! (I had a girl the first time) We are expecting a boy in November and will be meeting with our Rabbi to discuss the bris here in the next week or two. I plan to CD once we get home from the hospital and the stump falls off. I have only cotton prefolds, so I might get a few disposable liners or make some fleece ones.

jessnic 10-08-2012 03:50 PM

I used gauze squares from the hospital with Vaseline until those ran out. Then I used the diaper wipes that had gone through the washer and drier as a barrier until he was healed. Even with globs of Vaseline we never had any issues with cloth diapers.

TrennaII 10-08-2012 08:49 PM

We did cloth, no problem.

But instead of Vaseline or neosporin, I used half Vaseline, half lanolin, with a fair amount of Herb Pharm Trauma Oil mixed in. Trauma oil has arnica (for bruising and bleeding), calendula (to help skin heal), and hypericum (for pain).

I put a generous amount of that on, and I put a cloth wipe between him and the diaper (because it wouldn't matter much if a wipe repelled in one little spot). I didn't want to use fleece because it seemed like the fuzzies would stick.

Our anti-circ midwife checked LO out the next day and was shocked that it'd been less than 24 hours, he was healing so well. I think he was fully healed in 5 days. (Trauma Oil had the same effect on his umbilical stump).

Just don't get Trauma Drops instead of oil ... those are alcohol based.