Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Do you tip your mechanic? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488151)

acwakip 02-02-2013 09:01 PM

Do you tip your mechanic?

We used to get our car serviced at a shop in the town where we used to live. There were multiple people working there and there was no real way to tell who worked on your car that day.

Since we have moved, I am going to go my sister's mechanic. She has known this guy for years. He used to work at an auto shop which closed down. He now operates from his garage.

I was never taught to tip delivery drivers, hairdressers, etc. I knew to tip waiters/waitresses, but that was it.

Do mechanics get a tip?

KaleidoscopeEyes 02-02-2013 09:14 PM

Re: Do you tip your mechanic?

Nope, i think $40-50 per hour is plenty

earthflower 02-02-2013 09:15 PM

Yes, we tip our mechanics here.

Nerissa 02-02-2013 09:19 PM

Nope

I think the "tipping" has gotten completely out of hand. Everyone seems to think they need a tip for doing thier job.

acwakip 02-02-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerissa (Post 16240744)
Nope

I think the "tipping" has gotten completely out of hand. Everyone seems to think they need a tip for doing thier job.

I tend to agree, but since we rarely utilize the services that you would normally tip for, it doesn't come up.

PBAki 02-02-2013 11:05 PM

Nope. FIL is one and we don't get a discount so I think $60/hr he charges is plenty :giggle:

misskira 02-02-2013 11:36 PM

My dh is a mechanic and rarely gets tips. Every once in awhile he will get some if he goes out of his way to get a customers car done ASAP or does a little extra work. Or if a customer has had bad experience recently at another shop and is relieved when dh can make it right.

But usually, no tip. Dh has absolutely no expectation for one.

Mama*Kim 02-03-2013 12:04 AM

No, but then again, I've never brought my car to a regular mechanic. 95% of repairs DH does. The rest my brother does. He owns an auto repair shop. He charges me a discounted rate of $60/hr (instead of his regular $80... Really). I don't feel a need to tip on top of that.

mamatoclaire 02-03-2013 12:25 AM

DH is a mechanic and I did the books at his old shop, for a year and a half. I've never heard of tipping your mechanic. We were just happy when people paid their bills!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

carriek38 02-03-2013 05:40 AM

Nope...the owner of our shop & I grew up together. He doesn't cut me any breaks on my rate, I never know which of his guys did the actual work, so I figure that the $40+/hr doesn't warrant tips...it's a lot more than I get per hr, I can say that.