Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Cold or Teething (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484124)

l_Kimmie_l 01-22-2013 10:17 AM

Cold or Teething

My 9 mos old had a rough night last night. Very unusual for him. Woke up and cried several times. Usually if he wakes, he is smiling and ready to play. He woke crying this AM, again unusual. He does not want to be off me today, has a runny nose, drooling like crazy, fussy, and already napped for short times twice.

He just got 4 teeth recently and I feel only a slight bit of swelling on the right side, but no bubbles like with the other 4.

Do you think he has a cold or could he be teething again? I would hate to give him meds if he is not teething (motrin) or not treat a cold if that is what it is.

Belbaby3728 01-22-2013 10:29 AM

Hard to say. My dd has some new teeth coming in- first molars (or premolars...I don't know human tooth analogy as I do animals)! She's been drooling a bit and constantly has hands or some toy in mouth (more than usual). Past week or so she'll be playing and suddenly stop, look at her dad or me and just start bawling. Teeth suck! And she just got over flu/bad cold that started at Christmas. Winter sucks too! Hope your ds feels better. If it were me and he's down right miserable I would give ibuprofin regardless if teeth/cold as I find it always gives my dd some comfort relief when she is that bad.

EmilytheStrange 01-22-2013 10:47 AM

Hard to say. DD never got teething bubbles that I could see or find and teethed quickly 4 at a time. I'd just try to comfort him non-medically. Cold, frozen things will help with teething and I don't know that much helps with a cold other than keeping the airway clear - perhaps some Vicks on the chest and feet and try to cuddle upright if he has problems sleeping flat.

jes750 01-22-2013 10:55 AM

What are teething bubbles?

My little guy (6m) has 4 top teeth coming through and is miserable. He like chewing on a damp chilled rag.
None of my kids have had runny noses while teething though.

l_Kimmie_l 01-22-2013 11:01 AM

Re: Cold or Teething

He had raised swollen bubbles where the teeth were coming in with the last 4. I call them teeth bubbles....LOL! He is so fussy, he was like this last time to a lesser extent. Maybe it is both. His nose is runny, but clear. He feels a bit warm, but not enough to alert me. I caved and gave him motrin. I guess we will see if his mood improves or not. He is nursing nonstop too.

Mom2jandb 01-22-2013 09:13 PM

Runny nose makes me think cold. It can be clear in the first day or so, getting thick and green later. Either way, Motrin is a good call.

sandrc 01-23-2013 07:02 AM

Fussy drooling and runny nose is dds trething symptoms.

l_Kimmie_l 01-23-2013 07:03 AM

Re: Cold or Teething

I think it is a cold as everyone else has one right now and he just cries all day, which is not like him. I am going to get him into the pedi to check his ears. Better safe than sorry.