Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Anyone training for a 1/2 or full marathon? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430936)

llamabeans 08-23-2012 10:31 AM

Re: Anyone training for a 1/2 or full marathon?

I am waiting for these to come
http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-bey...100-capsules-1

mebl0901 08-25-2012 10:38 PM

So you can take that during activity? It says to drink 8-10 oz when you take it - if I drank that much while running I'd puke. :(

keen1981 08-25-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mebl0901
Any of you long distance mamas use energy chews or gels? I can't have caffeine so that's not what I'm looking for. I'm wanting something to carry with me to eat part way through a long run for an electrolyte boost. Any suggestions brand wise or directions for proper use? Tia!

Eat raisins. Not even remotely kidding :)

llamabeans 08-26-2012 11:48 AM

Really? I usually drink 5-8 oz per 2-3 miles.

mebl0901 08-26-2012 11:11 PM

Raisins!! Thanks, I never would have thought of that. :)

I don't take water with me or drink before or during my runs. I have stomach sloshing issues and if there's too much in there (or really anything at all) I start feeling nauseated. Not sure how I'm going to handle that the longer distances I'm about to start doing.

keen1981 08-27-2012 07:23 AM

You gotta drink! Start slow. A slip will not slosh.

Idk what your distance is now, but you gotta hydrate. And training is the only way to get your tummy used to it. I have IBS and I have to be very careful how I train. I now have trained myself to run with a water bottle and my IBS is manageable. I promise a single sip every mile won't slosh,

Oh and I can not hydrate an hour and half before running cause I have a bladder prolapse. Lol. So I have to have water on anything above 3 miles. Doing 8 today, in the heat, I imagine I will drink a whole water bottle. I also chat my whole run, that makes me thirsty. Lol

llamabeans 08-27-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981
You gotta drink! Start slow. A slip will not slosh.

Idk what your distance is now, but you gotta hydrate. And training is the only way to get your tummy used to it. I have IBS and I have to be very careful how I train. I now have trained myself to run with a water bottle and my IBS is manageable. I promise a single sip every mile won't slosh,

Oh and I can not hydrate an hour and half before running cause I have a bladder prolapse. Lol. So I have to have water on anything above 3 miles. Doing 8 today, in the heat, I imagine I will drink a whole water bottle. I also chat my whole run, that makes me thirsty. Lol

Hey how's running with the baby motel going?
I've always admired pregnant runners.
I have IBS too and running seems to make it better?
I use to feel sick when I first started but now can eat a turkey burger and do 4 miles at a leisurely pace. Sprinting is another story!

d_arnold 08-27-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mebl0901 (Post 15580057)
Any of you long distance mamas use energy chews or gels? I can't have caffeine so that's not what I'm looking for. I'm wanting something to carry with me to eat part way through a long run for an electrolyte boost. Any suggestions brand wise or directions for proper use? Tia!

When I ran my 1/2 I had those Gu Chews and they made me sick to my stomach! Yuck! They were way too sweet. Luckily there were lots of volunteers set up about every 1/2 mile or so that had orange slices and pretzels along with water or Powerade. I found that even if I wasn't hungry it was best for me to eat the orange slice and Powerade during every other stop or so at the end of my race.

keen1981 08-27-2012 02:11 PM

[QUOTE="llamabeans"]

Hey how's running with the baby motel going?
Better than I thought! I have peaks and valleys. Not setting any PR's but still chugging along. My cervix remains unaffected! Rock on! Lol.

I've always admired pregnant runners.
Me too. Glad I tried it!!

I have IBS too and running seems to make it
better?
It's hit or miss. My first summer of hard core running, I trained for a 1/2 and had the worst episode of my life. Pooping blood (not from hemmroids or fissures) yadadada. So I couldn't do the 1/2. Still bugs me.. But I took some time off and am not okay, I thinks body really needed to adjust to the dehydration that happens. My colon was no happy. I'd come home and be in agony, in the bathroom, for hours :/ not anymore.

I use to feel sick when I first started but now can eat a turkey burger and do 4 miles at a leisurely pace. Sprinting is another story!
Yes! It's funny how running really changes your bodies temperament. I know like to run and chat. With only one 'speed' workout a week. I enjoy the social aspect as much as the physical. Luckily I have a buddy who is STILL sticking with me. Even on 12 min/mile days (we have hills!! Okay!! ;)) even though she can do sub 8min,

llamabeans 08-27-2012 10:49 PM

Awe thats cool!!
I love slower paces (10min/mile is perfect) but being bound to the treadmill for the summer, I run for speed because it gets booooring.