Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Breastfeeding and cavities (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1547888)

FormallyMichele 09-27-2013 11:18 AM

Breastfeeding and cavities

So we just got back from having dental surgery on my DD, who isn't even 2 yet. 4 cavities needed caps and while he was in there he found 2 more on molars that have been there less than a month......

We don't do juice, very limited on sweets and I've been a nazi about brushing recently. Dentist suggested it could be breast milk :(
We feed at night and I do not brush while she's asleep.

Anyone else have this trouble?

l_Kimmie_l 09-27-2013 12:05 PM

Re: Breastfeeding and cavities

Yes, with my 2nd. He nursed solely and 4 teeth needed to be pulled, 1 cap, and several filled. They suggested breast milk too. Well, he just went back in for 7 more cavities last month and is not drinking anything at night at all. He drinks nothing with sugar in it at all. Some kids just have weaker teeth.

Kandarpa 09-27-2013 04:45 PM

Yes, my DS1 has horrible teeth. He had his first dental treatment when he was close to 5. He just turned 6 and in hat less than year and a half he had close to 30 fillings done. He has a few in many teeth, the molars are the worst, there are 3-4 fillings in each of them. We don't eat much sweet, and the doctors also blame breastfeeding. And I didn't even tell them that actually he nursed for a very long time :) So I was very concerned with this, and did a lot of research and there is A LOT of articles stating that breastfeeding is not related to cavities at all. Let's see how DS2 teeth will be. So far he is 2.5 and they are very good.

Dory 09-27-2013 05:09 PM

My second child had a cavity in one of his that needed a filling/cap by 20 months. By the time they finally got him in for it, they drilled and drilled and there wasn't enough tooth left for the cap, and they pulled it. One of the worst days of my life. Then the dental assistant started in blaming breast feeding and, right or wrong, I very curtly told her what I thought about her advice, she tucked her tail, and didn't say much else.

Numommy 09-27-2013 05:18 PM

My DD is 4 and I was just told she has 6!!
They want to sedate her.
Idk what to do...
What did yall do?

They want to give her 12 mg of Morphine oral and 8 mg of Atarax oral- in the office.
I am totally freaked.

Dory 09-27-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numommy
My DD is 4 and I was just told she has 6!!
They want to sedate her.
Idk what to do...
What did yall do?

They want to give her 12 mg of Morphine oral and 8 mg of Atarax oral- in the office.
I am totally freaked.

I can't remember which meds, but they gave my 20 month old a liquid. It did NOTHING. I hate to be the Debbie Downer, but it did not effect him at all, and he fought the whole thing. I had to lay my body over his. Thank God he doesn't remember a bit. But I do. I think by 4 they have more of an ability to hold still. So maybe it won't be so bad.

My 5 & a half year old has never had any issues, and in 6 months, she developed 5. All in her molars. :cry: she was only BFd to 10 months.
Going over the consents, the assistant at this office went over their procedures and I declined and will not allow the papoose. She is 5 and a half. She would remember that forever. She also said general anesthesia, then said it would be lidocaine or similar. I initialed it and realized later that that's completely wrong! I need to call Tuesday to find out if the sheet is wrong or if the assistant is wrong. They're not putting her under general.

Numommy 09-27-2013 06:02 PM

This is all so scary.
Its like kinda medical... But not.
I dont like it.
I think i an taking her to a larger city.

mommy24babes 09-27-2013 06:25 PM

I can tell you that it has nothing to do with night nursing. As long as you are brushing well before bed breast milk alone does not cause decay.

Some kids just have weaker enamel than others.
My oldest, second and fourth child have all had dental work done under sedation between 14-24 months.

My 4 year old on the other hand has perfect teeth. Nothing different with brushing/ nursing/ eating habits at all. In fact he still night nurses at least once a night.

Every time I get asked the same questions.
No bottles, no juice, no candy, no soother.

It's hard not to blame yourself or feel guilty.

Hum Bums 09-27-2013 06:53 PM

My brother bf at night til like 4 or 5. His front teeth turned black and rotted. But that is an extreme case IMO.

eliz7 09-27-2013 08:14 PM

I night nursed all of my kids for years. My ds nursed for the least amount of time, 22 months and had the worst baby teeth. Nursing doesn't cause decay.

Brush before bed and safely nurse away:)