Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do you allow your kids to question you? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83257)

sprout18 01-10-2007 05:12 PM

Do you allow your kids to question you?

My sister and I were having a discussion last night and she was upset because our older sister's child questioned her dh about something (I can't remember what it was) and she said that children should be taught that they don't question adults they just listen to what they say. I was kind of like :headscratch: because what if that adult told them to do something that was inappropriate (not that my bil would but just a general thing) and they just went along with it. We allow our children to question us - not about discipline but in general. Like I told my oldest ds something was broke and he looked at it and looked at it and was like "are you sure its broke?" He says "are you sure...." all the time. What do you think? Do you allow your children to question you or other adults?

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 01-10-2007 05:16 PM

Re: Do you allow your kids to question you?

i think your right, and my son is like yours, no problem with asking, and itDisagree about her thinking kids need to just do as their told, your right what if an adult tries somethign bad, the child will do it thinking they HAVE to do as any adult asks:(

pottymomma 01-10-2007 05:19 PM

I think children should be taught that it is *always okay* to question an adult. I don't want my kids to think they ever have to do something just because an adult told them to....there just are enough creepy adults out there that I want them to have the confidence to question and say no if needed.

I think it is about respect, though. I also try to teach my kids that they should always talk respectfully to others whether it is another kid or an adult.

JustAugust 01-10-2007 05:20 PM

Respectfully question, sure! How else will they learn? I think it helps teach them to think for themselves.

Rudely, sarcastically question- no. That is disrespectful.

Getz 01-10-2007 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiffer23 (Post 616852)
Respectfully question, sure! How else will they learn? I think it helps teach them to think for themselves.

Ditto!

jenncatsmeow 01-10-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Exactly...

annes_cottage 01-10-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Ummm, yeah that!! How can they learn with questioning!!

Mel 01-10-2007 05:30 PM

Quote:

LOL I agree too. I was thinking reading op how else are they supposed to learn if they just always do everything as told without knowing why or how?

urchin_grey 01-10-2007 05:35 PM

My son's not old enough yet but I absolutely would. I'm not his boss, or better than him or above him, I'm his mommy! I remember getting into trouble as a kid and *literally* not understanding why and I HATED my mom for saying crap like "because I said so". That is disrespectful IMO. I want to teach my son to respect me but I don't expect him to unless I respect him as PERSON as well. I'm human and I make mistakes too, kwim? But I do agree with Tiffany, it would have to be in a respectful manner just as I would only question him in a respectful manner. :goodvibes:

ShannaMarie 01-10-2007 05:36 PM

Respect is the key here. I agree with Tiffer23.