Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Leftover baked potatoes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540021)

luvmy2girls 09-06-2008 10:09 AM

Leftover baked potatoes?

I need to use a big bag of baking potatoes but they won't all get eaten, so I'd love suggestions for the leftovers! Can you make breakfast potatoes w/them somehow? I'm also thinking of doing a batch of Creamy Potato Soup w/Ham & Peas. Looking for ideas, though...

heluvsme 09-06-2008 10:31 AM

Re: Leftover baked potatoes?

I use baked potatoes to make potato salad! I also cut them up and make fried potatoes. Mmmm..

jackyl08 09-06-2008 10:35 AM

Breakfast potatoes are very easy. I just slice the potato lengthwise and then use a knife to cube it. I hold it in my hand and run the knife lengthwise and widthwise. Then I throw them in the pan with some canola oil(use olive oil for dinner potatoes) and seasoned salt. You can also add some red or green peppers. I throw in ham sometimes.
Twice baked potatoes are great, too. Just cut the potatoes lengthwise again and just scoop out the insides with a spoon. I scoop them into a 9x13 pan. Then mix in sour cream and shredded cheese. I sometimes add bacon if I have some(I usually get the already cooked bacon). Bake until heated all the way through. My DH hates sour cream, but loves these potatoes. He is so picky, but will eat all of the above.

NatureMama4 09-07-2008 12:10 PM

baking potatoes work great in soups! you could kill 2 birds with one stone by peeling/dicing them and freezing for use in soups *or* as hashbrowns. you can also freeze mashed or baked potatoes for later use in veggie burgers or potato bread.

purple~princess 09-07-2008 03:33 PM

You can also grate them to make hashbrowns.

staceyleanne 09-07-2008 04:48 PM

twice baked potatoes are yummy!!

you could make potato skins and save the inside for mashed.

mom55 09-07-2008 06:23 PM

I vote for potato pancakes. They are a favorite for my house, and leftover baked or mashed potatoes both work great!

LnCo 09-07-2008 06:25 PM

You can freeze mashed potatoes. An older lady at our church does it because she's only feeding her DH and herself. I just cook huge batches then freeze them in containers. Makes life easier when I'm not inspired.

LauraI 09-07-2008 08:06 PM

My dad loves twice baked french fries. Cut them up into fries & deep fat fry them. It's not the healthiest way to serve them though!

redone5683 09-07-2008 10:55 PM

Take the baked potato and take the skin off, cut into chunks and 'fry' in a skillet seasoned the way you like. I use the word fry loosely b/c you really only put enough oil in the pan to keep them from sticking. And you have homemade home fries!!