Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help me not quit! PLEASE!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1512258)

Catbutt Diapers 04-26-2013 11:10 PM

Help me not quit! PLEASE!!

We are at 10 months... but I don't know if I can keep going. I've been taking Domperidone for the last couple months, but still can't produce more than 6oz a day. Lulu won't nurse, so I have to hand express 3 or 4 times (pumps have NEVER done anything for me). I've got horrible calluses on both breasts from the constant never ending expressing. They are sore all the time, it takes forever, and I have to give formula anyway... whats the point? I had made my goal 1 year, but nothing has worked and no mater what I've done I've never had enough milk. I'm just so frustrated but trying to keep going.

I forgot to add that Lulu is horribly allergic to milk, so I can't have any milk products while I'm making milk for her.

NCMommy119 04-26-2013 11:25 PM

Re: Help me not quit! PLEASE!!

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. I feel your pain. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Not saying give up, but go easy on yourself. You're giving it your all and you should give credit where it's due -to yourself!

I applaud you for sticking in there. I couldn't do the pump either and had so many problems that I finally got all sore and stayed that way so I threw in the towel. Keep your head up and do what you can and let go of the guilt.

bwsmommy 04-26-2013 11:35 PM

Hugs hugs and hugs and just remember any breast milk you give her is sooo very good for her and its less formula you must give ! My son is also breastfed and i cant eat milk nor soy .. So i know what you are going through !

davidsgirl777 04-27-2013 12:18 AM

Oh Mama you are doing an awesome job so far! I had the same problem with my first and I unfortunately quit LONG before you (about 6m), was pumping/ hand expressing and supplementing. I encourage you to do what you can to get to your goal but if you need to back off some to keep yourself sane don't feel bad! You did wonderful so far and don't need to overwhelm yourself either :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

gingerpeachee 04-27-2013 05:36 AM

This is coming from a mom who struggled a lot. Firstly, forgive yourself. You are doing everything you can do and you deserve some serious recognition. You have done what you feel is best for your baby for a very long time. Secondly, stop thinking about making it to a year. Make it through today. If you do that then tomorrow you can decide if you want to do it again. Say to yourself, "is this something I can tolerate today?" If the answer is yes then keep going. If the answer is, "I'm spending too much time beating myself up over this and I'd be a happier mommy if I could quit." Then stop. :goodvibes: You can make it to a year. Just make sure you are weighing your pros and cons and giving yourself sufficient value in the equation.

Miss squish 04-27-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerpeachee (Post 16538716)
This is coming from a mom who struggled a lot. Firstly, forgive yourself. You are doing everything you can do and you deserve some serious recognition. You have done what you feel is best for your baby for a very long time. Secondly, stop thinking about making it to a year. Make it through today. If you do that then tomorrow you can decide if you want to do it again. Say to yourself, "is this something I can tolerate today?" If the answer is yes then keep going. If the answer is, "I'm spending too much time beating myself up over this and I'd be a happier mommy if I could quit." Then stop. :goodvibes: You can make it to a year. Just make sure you are weighing your pros and cons and giving yourself sufficient value in the equation.

This.

I've had plenty of troubles also but I put a couple of red lines down for myself a while ago. My goal was a year, but if all the work I had to put into nursing made me miserable or resentful I would stop. All that hand expressing would definitely make me miserable! Good for you mama for hanging in there and working so hard for your LO. :hugs: it is such a difficult decision either way and I hope you are able to come to a place where you are at peace and happy with whatever direction you go. 10 months is fantastic all on its own and you should be proud of that!

safghf 04-27-2013 11:28 PM

Hugs Mama! I cannot imagine hand expressing for 10 months! You are amazing! If you stopped tomorrow, there would be no shame whatsoever!

Just out of curiosity, has your DD ever latched? I'm wondering if you could try it now and see what happens... Worst case scenario is she still won't take it. Maybe she might though. Perhaps you've offered repeatedly and she just won't. Worth asking though.

Whatever you decide, know you are and have done an absolutely wonderful thing for your baby girl!

gingerpeachee 04-28-2013 08:18 AM

How are you doing OP?

Catbutt Diapers 04-28-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by safghf (Post 16541129)
Hugs Mama! I cannot imagine hand expressing for 10 months! You are amazing! If you stopped tomorrow, there would be no shame whatsoever!

Just out of curiosity, has your DD ever latched? I'm wondering if you could try it now and see what happens... Worst case scenario is she still won't take it. Maybe she might though. Perhaps you've offered repeatedly and she just won't. Worth asking though.

Whatever you decide, know you are and have done an absolutely wonderful thing for your baby girl!

She had a great latch to begin with! That frustrates me the most, she came out snuggled up on my chest and did the cute little wiggly crawl thing and latched right on! But severely low jaw muscle tone meant that after 3 or 4 minutes she would be too exhausted to continue, and her jaw would just give out and start clicking, and falling out of place (not fun). We saw 4 LC's, and 2 pediatric speech/language pathologists, and do daily exercises, weekly SLP meetings, ext. but those muscles just are rather stubborn.

I thought someone said this breastfeeding things was easy...
LOL

I'm doing good this weekend, my mom had some time off work, so she has Lulu for three days. A couple full nights sleep, and some baby free visiting with friends make everything better. My husband and I have decided that we will keep working at it until this last bottle of Domperidone runs out. Then we will see if she can handle goats milk, and re-evaluate from there.

Thanks everyone!!!

mamalusbear 04-28-2013 01:47 PM

Hugs for you Mama, you're doing an amazing job.