Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Aug (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Med-free birthers? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488325)

mvp529 02-03-2013 02:00 PM

Med-free birthers?

Just wondering how many out there are planning a med free birth? Not knocking anyone else's birth plan as I have had 6 pitocin/ epi births before my last med free birth.

What plans do you make, doula etc? Any first time moms going med free? It was the best experience of my life!

Andbabymakes2 02-03-2013 02:04 PM

Re: Med-free birthers?

My second one was med free, and pretty amazing. Not that I wasn't in pain, and cussed the whole way through, but it was the fastest too!! It was a hb in the pool so Idk if that was part of it, but I'd like to try again this time, and then transfer to the hosp. (for ins reasons, and I'm having tubes tied after)

AwesomeJen 02-03-2013 02:07 PM

I'm due 8/26 with #3. Both my boys were pitocin, epidural births. Planning all natural this time. Hired a doula today!

agoerke 02-03-2013 02:14 PM

I had my first completely med free and I will do it again. It was only bad for about an hour of my 14. And I think that being med free made the delivery much quicker! I only pushed fo r 8 minutes because I could feel where he was in the canal. If you can make it through labor, you can make it through delivery med free.

mvp529 02-03-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomeJen
I'm due 8/26 with #3. Both my boys were pitocin, epidural births. Planning all natural this time. Hired a doula today!

That's the only reason I made it to that goal. The doula made the difference. Well and refusing the early induction so no pit!

AwesomeJen 02-03-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvp529 (Post 16243092)

That's the only reason I made it to that goal. The doula made the difference. Well and refusing the early induction so no pit!

Mine weren't early inductions. Both cases my water broke and the docs pushed the pit. Second time I had a terrible reaction that stuck around for a couple weeks. Going to ride it out at home this time if my water breaks. We're contemplating a home birth, bit a lot of things have to fall into place for that to happen.

Raspberry Kisses 02-03-2013 02:44 PM

This is our second and we're trying for a VBAC. First birth experience was horrible so I won't go into details. Long story short, we're going with a midwife and a birth center this time. I understand that interventions might be necessary, but I'm going to try going completely without meds. We'll see. :)

AmberP 02-03-2013 02:50 PM

My 2nd was a med-free hospital birth and I am planning that again. I also cursed the whole way through, but I made it =D My midwife was totally awesome. She didn't even offer me anything.

Afterward, the nurse was trying to get me to take vicodin and an rx for vicodin and I was like ... really? "No thanks, but I will take a couple advil..." LOL

craigwick 02-03-2013 03:02 PM

Well, technically neither of my births was unmedicated, but DD2 was born before the epidural kicked in, so it was as close to unmedicated as I could be!

I'm really hoping to go the whole way this time with nothing, we have hired a doula who is a friend of DH's (he will be much more comfortable with her, and even having met her only once briefly a year ago, I remember thinking that I really liked her!) so I am hoping that will help. It will be a hospital birth as we don't have any other option here at the moment, but I am okay with that. So long as I get a private room if I need to spend the night!!!

stevensmom 02-03-2013 03:10 PM

both of the kids were pain med free births...however with both I needed pitocin.

ds my water broke and labor wasn't progressing so we started pit.

dd was an induction with pit.

but both I didn't have any pain meds...even when I had 2nd degree tears with ds and they were stitching me up with 20 stitches

momto2princesses 02-03-2013 03:12 PM

Planning a med free homebirth this time. Had every intervention in the book with #1, most of it unnecessary. #2 was a hbac. I also cussed for a decent portion. :-)

blessedwifenmama 02-03-2013 05:00 PM

I my son was born in the hospital without any pain meds. :) Now that I think about it, he likely would have been a cesarean if I had gotten the epidural, because he was getting distressed during the pushing stage, and it took an hour to get him out. I don't remember, but DH says that when he was crowning, the OB told me that we had to get him out NOW, and I did it. So glad I was already in transition when I got to the hospital, or I might have caved and gotten the epi. I've heard there are inexpensive doulas in the area, so I think I'll look into that also for this time.

Tris 02-03-2013 05:05 PM

I'm hoping, my second was precipitous and med free, I had a shower/tub with jets though and the jets helped immensely. The hospital I have to use for this one isn't really med free friendly, so I'm a little concerned. There are also no doulas in the area, which is a bummer.

lalakiwi7 02-03-2013 08:52 PM

I had a sadly complicated first birth with our DD... i know everyone says they do but I did too..... :)

I did natural for the first 24 until my MW actually insisted I have an epi/with pit OR a c-section related to complications (bleeding, meconum, cervical regression, fetal HB fluctuations.) so I didn't ask and didn't want meds with my first but I got it all and then some.... plus a nasty forceps delivery in which I tore all the way through and had to be on bedrest for two weeks after. :*( SOOOOOOOO while I say I am planning on a med free birth as I found out with my first they don't always go as planned however I did not ask for any and am not planning it.

I totally think it's fabulous either way SERIOUSLY any one who gives birth is a ROCKSTAR!!!! but I just want to experience it all .... just because I do. It's something only I can do in the life of my child and I want to be all there. I actually cried when my MW gave me my run down.... so I am pumped to get to try again!!!

mrserhabor 02-04-2013 02:01 AM

My first was a csection as he just wasn't coming down, decelling and I was getting a fever. My second was totally med free VBAC. Deffinately going to go for another med free VBAC bit will ask for fluids after as I got really dehydrated and was readmitted with my second. Will also have a doula! What's awesome is that my hospital will provide a doula for $100 once you are admitted to the hosp. Both my doulas where awesome, my first was with me for over 12hrs, and my second was with me for about 2-3 hrs as he came so fast!! My last birth was only about 3hrs from when labor really kicked in so curious to see if I'll have another fast one!

AmberP 02-04-2013 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalakiwi7 (Post 16244366)
I had a sadly complicated first birth with our DD... i know everyone says they do but I did too..... :)

I did natural for the first 24 until my MW actually insisted I have an epi/with pit OR a c-section related to complications (bleeding, meconum, cervical regression, fetal HB fluctuations.) so I didn't ask and didn't want meds with my first but I got it all and then some.... plus a nasty forceps delivery in which I tore all the way through and had to be on bedrest for two weeks after. :*( SOOOOOOOO while I say I am planning on a med free birth as I found out with my first they don't always go as planned however I did not ask for any and am not planning it.

I totally think it's fabulous either way SERIOUSLY any one who gives birth is a ROCKSTAR!!!! but I just want to experience it all .... just because I do. It's something only I can do in the life of my child and I want to be all there. I actually cried when my MW gave me my run down.... so I am pumped to get to try again!!!

:hugs:

My first was somewhat similar. I had planned med-free. I wound up getting an epi and they checked AFTER the fact and I was already at 9cm. There was no rush to get her out-- she just came faster than anyone was expecting and was turned wrong. So I had a starburst tear with between 75 & 100 stitches and bled and could hardly walk for a couple of weeks.

I am not trying to give false hope, but my second was 10lb, 2oz and I wound up with a totally uncomplicated, med-free birth and two stitches. The moral of the story is that all births are different (as I am sure you know ;) ) . I was terrified to have a second, but I think having him was very healing for me. <3

lalakiwi7 02-04-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberP (Post 16245132)
:hugs:

My first was somewhat similar. I had planned med-free. I wound up getting an epi and they checked AFTER the fact and I was already at 9cm. There was no rush to get her out-- she just came faster than anyone was expecting and was turned wrong. So I had a starburst tear with between 75 & 100 stitches and bled and could hardly walk for a couple of weeks.

I am not trying to give false hope, but my second was 10lb, 2oz and I wound up with a totally uncomplicated, med-free birth and two stitches. The moral of the story is that all births are different (as I am sure you know ;) ) . I was terrified to have a second, but I think having him was very healing for me. <3

I am so hoping for that!! I literally have no expectations.... but I would love to not tear so much... that was the worst part and feeling disappointed that I had to have interventions since I was so dogmatic about NOT having any. (not for others just for me)

AND this time around my BFF is getting her doula certification as we speak so she can be my labor support. My hubby was a rockstar and she was also there for my last but wasn't my doula so we are gonna rock it this time. :giggle2:

ardeur 02-04-2013 02:05 PM

I'm planning a med free birth at home. My doula, midwives, and my husband will be attending me. This is my first child, so I have NO IDEA how it'll all work out.

You know what? I am *really* excited. So far I've had no fear or reservations. Haha... Hopefully that sticks.

s@hmommy 02-04-2013 02:10 PM

I would like to this time, but if I end up needing pitocin for any reason, I know there is no way I can do it. The difference between my normal contractions and pit induced contractions was ridiculous. I thought I was going to die with the medically induced contractions, and that is the birth I ended up doing without an epi because it didn't work for some reason.

happy2beamom 02-04-2013 02:30 PM

I'm hoping number 3 if it for me :blush: I wanted no meds with DD, but the doc on call was not my favorite (i.e i had left the office a few weeks earlier crying and in an anxiety/panic attack due to her and prayed i would get one of the other 8 OB's, but alas, nope), the nurse was NOT helpful (wouldn't even talk to me or answer questions :banghead:, and DH was 'tired' and 'forgot' what he was supposed to do :banghead: I even reached a point before getting the epi that i asked if there was a doctor other than mine that could deliver :cry: They told me no and i went into panic mode :cry:

Anyways, does anybody have any good recommendations on how to releave back labour? Both of mine were sunny side up and I was a very tilted uterus that has to do something (around 5-6 cm for me) that makes it come into place. Oh, and DD came out in her caul with her hand beside her face :banghead:

I can't get another epi this time :banghead: The last time it only worked on 1/2 my body and by the time they got it so i was only feeling 2-3 pain scale on the one side i tried to go to sleep and the catheter expelled itself :banghead: and i was ready to push. Now, i had so much pain meds i couldn't feel anything and it ended up being 16 hours until i could move my left leg (after the birth). Plus, i had a bruise covering 1/3 of my back. I can't do it again.

Housefullofgirls 02-04-2013 04:32 PM

I've just been lurking. But I'm due August 5th. My last birth was natural as it was so fast. I also went 2 weeks early. It was not the best experience because I was so scared of going natural and the ring of fire I had read so much about on the boards at the time. My body was doing all this crazy stuff like making all these noises I couldn't control coming out of me and the urge to push was the most extreme thing I have ever felt. My stomach was sore for a month. It was in the middle of the night with unfort for me 2 serious births that turned into C-sections so everybody was with those patients. Nobody called my Dr. when I got there so the attending ended up delivering me and you could tell he was freaked out by me growling and pushing every other second. My husband was even scared and nothing bothers him. I screamed the F word when I pushed her out because I was so scared of this "pain" but I never had the ring of fire TTL! I'm just embarrased I did that. But I just ordered Ina May's Childbirth book so I plan on being very well educated this time!!

stevensmom 02-04-2013 04:34 PM

oh man the ring of fire was horrid with dd! I don't remember it being that bad with ds (who was bigger too)

Housefullofgirls 02-04-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevensmom (Post 16247914)
oh man the ring of fire was horrid with dd! I don't remember it being that bad with ds (who was bigger too)

YIKES! That's the only thing I'm scared of :blush: A part of me hopes I go early again since that means a smaller baby. Ella was 7lbs5oz at 38w when I had her. With a little head phew.

stevensmom 02-04-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Housefullofgirls (Post 16247922)
YIKES! That's the only thing I'm scared of :blush: A part of me hopes I go early again since that means a smaller baby. Ella was 7lbs5oz at 38w when I had her. With a little head phew.

ds was 8lbs7oz and dont remember rof

dd was 7lbs0oz and holy heck rof was horrid

nettepoet 02-04-2013 04:42 PM

med free here - i had my first in the hospital w/o pitocin or any interventions and my second at home. this baby (#3) will either be in a nearby birthing center or here at home (i havent decided yet-only bc my last kiddo was stuck for 4 hrs during the pushing stage and it kind of freaked me out when at the last bit his heart started to act funny. he was mal-positioned though so his labor was ultra long and hopefully that wont happen again!).

there is something about birth even though it is pretty intense. i grew up on a horse ranch in TX and i loved watching our mares labor. the experience is amazing to go through, even when it seems brutal and out of your control. it makes me proud of my baby and my body, and it gives me such a feeling of strength and this weird feeling of connection to women all around the world and throughout time.

here's hoping everyone has the birth they want!

nettepoet 02-04-2013 04:43 PM

oh, and yes, it really depends with the ring of fire feeling. my first was 8lb11oz, second was smaller at 8lbs5oz but OWWWWW. his head was cocked to the side though. ow.

stevensmom 02-04-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nettepoet (Post 16247943)
oh, and yes, it really depends with the ring of fire feeling. my first was 8lb11oz, second was smaller at 8lbs5oz but OWWWWW. his head was cocked to the side though. ow.

I think it's the 2nd child. My mom didn't want to tell me about the after birth pains. I was in tears it hurt so bad! But it may have just been the nurse. She would push on my uterus to get it to contract. I was about to punch her. My dad had to leave the room he was about to cry seeing me cry!

lalakiwi7 02-04-2013 05:47 PM

Labor part I can do.... I agree its the ring of fire I dread..... I still have extreme pressure in my hooha since my DD so hoping its not too bad. :)

AleahDeann 02-04-2013 06:41 PM

Planning med free home waterbirth this time. my first was supposed to be med free, got epi at 24 hours, My 2nd I planned on the epi, but it had major complications before they even got it in, so he was technically med free, my 3rd was med free hospital birth.

Miss_Mommy 02-04-2013 10:56 PM

My first son was a medicated birth. I had been up all night (I have a tilted uterus and a back problem that causes me to have back labor the entire time) and I needed to sleep. I wasn't expecting back labor so I was bewildered by the amount of pain ripping through me. So I got two shots of demerol and was able to sleep about 6 hours. I finally asked for the epidural, but they didn't check my dilation before placing the first shot and catheter. Before hooking up the epidural, they had me checked and found I was entirely dilated, so I gave birth with the catheter hanging out of my back. I wish I could go back and change that.

My second son was so much different, and I'm so happy I birthed him naturally. I did have to have IV antibiotics for group b strep, but that's it. I knew the pain was going to be as intense as before, so I was prepared for the back labor. I was in the tub with the spa jets pointed at my back for about 4 hours of my labor. The birth center had a huge hot water heater I guess lol. Also, walked a lot. I was so glad I was able to be present and in control of my labor and birthing. I loved it, pain and all. I plan to do the same this time around.

I haven't looked into a doula because my DH and my mom are my support and voice when I need to get my wishes granted. I do see midwives though, so it's different than an obstetrician. This one, I'm afraid I might have to see and OB instead of my midwife because I had a hernia repair done with mesh, so we'll see what happens!

AmberP 02-05-2013 01:54 AM

I don't remember the ring of fire, really, but I think that is when all of my cussing happened. During pushing. I was ANGRY. "GET THIS EFFING THING OUT OF ME!!!!" Rofl.

And after birth pains-- I didn't have. The first one I was high as a kite on morphine, so I wouldn't remember anyway. The second one, they gave me pitocin because I had a history of hemorrhaging and I don't even remember it. They told me it would hurt and an hour later I asked if they were still planning on giving me pitocin and the nurse gave me this funny look because they had apparently already done it.

TMI- I think I dread the first PP BM more than giving birth ROFL.

craigwick 02-05-2013 07:09 AM

The ring of fire wasn't what got me, it was when her shoulders were delivered! Ouch!!! I was yelling/swearing alot and I remember once she was out that I was apologizing profusely to everyone in the room, I am sure they had a good laugh about it later.

I totally forgot about the afterbirth pains...correct me if I am wrong, but don't they get worse with each baby?? yikes, they were bad enough after DD2 (like labour all over again).

blessedwifenmama 02-05-2013 07:20 AM

I was lucky and didn't get the ring of fire. It burned when he was crowning, but not too intensely. I even had a 2nd degree tear, but didn't think I had torn since it didn't burn that much. The attending OB was giving me a warm compress while I was delivering, though, so I bet that helped a lot. DH thought the compress was for holding my poop in. :giggle:

blessedwifenmama 02-05-2013 07:22 AM

I also didn't have any afterpains with my first, even with the pitocin drip I had to slow my bleeding. I've heard they get worse with each child, too, so I'm not expecting to be so lucky this time.

Tris 02-05-2013 08:23 AM

My afterpains for my second weren't terrible.

I didn't get the ring of fire either! It didn't even burn when she crowned, I wonder if my endorphins were already kicked in.

KatieB621 02-05-2013 09:18 AM

I've always gotten an epi with mine, although I'm really not sure why other than just to calm my nerves because I've always "heard" the ring of fire was so bad. This time I'm not going med-free again, but I'm opting not to get the epi either. I guess I'm wanting to go the middle route somewhat this time.

With DD I didn't know what the heck I was doing, so I got the epi too early and it wore off right as I was beginning to push. Luckily I only pushed for 5 min., but I felt EVERYTHING anyway, so really what was the point! :headscratch: They ended up giving me a local when I was being stitched up (I had a level 3 tear....OUCH!) It was weird because I couldn't feel when I was having ctx, but my bottom was WIDE awake. Because I couldn't feel the ctx, I didn't know when to push and had to rely on the nurses to tell me. Of course, they tell you to push again immediately after getting done with one push, so I was in one big, giant, continuous push during the entire labor. Nearly passed out because I forgot to breathe in between pushing. :banghead:

With DS I knew to wait before I got it so that it wouldn't run out in the middle of pushing. I labored until 5 before I got the epi. They called for the epi and within 15 min. I was at 8-9. The dr. that was giving me the epi was scared to death that I was going to need to start pushing while he was trying to get the epi right. He got the epi right, so I didn't feel anything, but was able to still feel the ctx, so things worked out great. After he was born though I thought, "DARN....I was already at 9 by myself without the epi....Why did I even get the epi in the first place?" :headscratch:

I'm a whimp when it comes to pain, which is why I want a little something for the pain, but I want to try to do it without the epi this time. I know the thread said med-free mama's, but since even doing it middle of the road is different for me, I thought I'd share. :) Let's hope I don't cave when it comes down to it.

Tris 02-05-2013 09:20 AM

I'm shocked they would even give you an epi at a 9, my first said I needed to get it then at a 6 or not at all. They don't like to do it while in transition is my guess.

mvp529 02-05-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris
My afterpains for my second weren't terrible.

I didn't get the ring of fire either! It didn't even burn when she crowned, I wonder if my endorphins were already kicked in.

I had the worst after pains with my first. They seem to do better the more kids I have. Maybe cuz my uterus doesn't even try to get down small again lololol
But I also dread that ring of fire. I pushed so hard and intensely from that pain I busted blood vessels all over my face, so I looked like a teen with cystic acne for days. I was so ugly. But it was amazing.

Tris 02-05-2013 09:37 AM

See pushing felt SO good for me. Like yawning. It was just a instant relief from the contractions, they had to have me stop pushing (and holding a push, when your body wants to push, its like holding back a big sneeze, or a yawn :D) because the doctor wasn't there and I guess the nurse didn't want to catch :D I'm really hoping this labor is as great as the last one.

KatieB621 02-05-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris (Post 16250316)
I'm shocked they would even give you an epi at a 9, my first said I needed to get it then at a 6 or not at all. They don't like to do it while in transition is my guess.

I dialated that quickly. It takes me a while to get to 5, but after 5 it's maybe an hour and I'm holding a LO. I think if he'd known that I was going that quickly he wouldn't have given it to me, but he was already in the process of getting the epi started when he asked the nurse how far along I was. When she said, "Oh she was at 8 or 9 just before you came in" he went into overdrive trying to hurry it up. :goodvibes: