Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   what got you through transition (natural birth)? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1500342)

hydinger 11-11-2013 05:49 PM

Re: what got you through transition (natural birth)?

LOL. You're funny! :-)

Made_on_Xmas 11-19-2013 03:13 AM

Breathing and hip squeezes, also DH rubbing my leg. That got me distracted and not focused just on contractions.

Zoey87 11-19-2013 06:13 AM

Transition lasted 5 hours for me, then the midwife broke my water and BAM! 45 mins of pushing and dd was here! But during that 5 hours my DH was the main thing that got me through. He was as solid as a rock through the whole process. When I cried and said I couldn't do it anymore he reassured me that I was the strongest woman he knew and I could do it. The midwife was amazing also, very calm and encouraging. She made a special aromatherapy blend that filled the room with relaxing scents and also a massage oil she rubbed my back with that was heavenly. Changing position with every few cxt, a hot pad on my lower back with pressure and cold wash cloths on my neck helped get me through also. Beyond that letting my body do what came natural and vocalizing (a combination of yelling/crying/moaning)during the cxt helped greatly.

Hembie 11-22-2013 04:51 AM

I recently had my baby. When transition hit, I lost it. I don't remember anyone explaining it was transition or that it could be.
I started crying, yelling through contractions. I begged for an epidural, thought the midwives were keeping from one.
The weirdest part is went I had the urge to push I hid it from everyone for 15 minutes because I was so out it. Then I could hide it no longer and it was time to push. Then the pain suddenly went away while pushing. Pushing took 15 minutes
I'm so happy I didn't get the epidural and only wish I had been better prepared for the process.
I love this thread. I felt like I had done it all wrong or ungracefully.

Pixi6s 11-22-2013 07:55 AM

I'm not sure transition is something that can be prepared for. It seems like it a fight or flight response vrs a logical one.

evamyster88 11-22-2013 10:31 AM

This is a great thread and makes me feel more prepared or at least more knowledgable. I had an epi with both of my girls so I felt nothing.

bazil323 12-04-2013 03:45 PM

Being in the tub with dh pouring water over my belly ntil some time after I started pushing. I never noticed he stopped, but he said the mw told him not to at some point. Then it also really helped to relax my body and breathe deeply keeping my mouth and jaw loose. Dh's reminders when I started tensing helped, and during the last part of pushing, my mom stroked my hair and cheeks and said encouraging things in a gentle voice. And my mw reminded me to try to resist pushing if I could, which I had almost forgotten because my initial pushing phase was uncontrollable (which mw could tell and didn't bother with the reminder until she saw something changed with me). When her head started crowning, I couldn't have kept my hands from applying counter pressure to my labia and perineum if I wanted to. I think that really helped prevent more tearing, that and taking 800 IU every 3 hours. I had a skidmark and a small vaginal laceration (didn't even hurt much after placenta came and healed within about a week even with reopening the laceration). I also took 400 mg magnesium every 3 hours to help with contractions.

Nerissa 12-04-2013 04:03 PM

Knowing that for me once transition hits baby is born within 10 minutes help a lot.

Lmama 01-09-2014 07:52 PM

I know this thread is old but it was interesting. :) The doula who taught our Bradley class said to remember that when you hit transition (and specifically feel the "ring of fire"!) to just know that it is about to be over and you are about to meet your baby. I somehow remembered this during that "what was I thinking?!?!" time frame and it really helped!

megshmeg 01-09-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lmama (Post 17167584)
I know this thread is old but it was interesting. :) The doula who taught our Bradley class said to remember that when you hit transition (and specifically feel the "ring of fire"!) to just know that it is about to be over and you are about to meet your baby. I somehow remembered this during that "what was I thinking?!?!" time frame and it really helped!

I was just talking to DH about this. In my last birth, it was very fast/intense and while I knew that I was going through the worst of it and the baby would be here soon, logically I knew that! -- I could NOT think it. Like, everything was just so intense and overwhelming that my logical brain was not working and that thought, although I had told it to myself many times in preparing for labor, would not come to me. I really wish someone would've SAID it to me! :) Maybe this next time... :giggle: