Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Errands with newborn! Advice? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1381391)

chelsea111390 04-16-2012 06:46 PM

Errands with newborn! Advice?

Tomorrow I plan to run errands for the first time since my baby was born. My main concern is how will I bring him with me to the post office. I have 2 small packages to carry... So should I bring the carseat in with me? Or hook it onto the stroller? Or just attempt to carry him in my arms with the packages?

How do you run errands at small places like the post office with a newborn?

KdEMomma 04-16-2012 06:49 PM

Re: Errands with newborn! Advice?

Would the small packages fit in a bag? If so, I'd bag then, hang the bag on my arm and then bring the carrier in with me. Unless you don't like to set the carrier on the floor. My local post office is pretty clean.

MCR 04-16-2012 06:51 PM

Put the packages in a grocery bag and tote the baby either in your arms or in the car seat. I used the seat or seat/stroller method as I could never pay one handed for some reason.
Don't beat yourself up if you don't get all your errands done. My oldest never let me make more than two stops, on the third he'd have a melt down, even as a newborn.

wordbox 04-16-2012 06:51 PM

Do you have anything you can wear him with? Like a Moby Wrap or anything like that. I wore my son everywhere, it was way more comfortable (car seats are heavy and awkward) and I could be hands free if I was checking out at a store, mailing a package, etc. Plus it kept my guy calm and he was always super relaxed while we shopped or ran errands, and often even slept.

If you don't have one for tomorrow's trip, I'd definitely get one. Check out the babywearing subforum here for more tips and ideas, and to see which one you might like. :)

FairyBeautifulMama 04-16-2012 06:52 PM

I would invest in a baby carrier (Beco Butterfly2, Gemini or a ringsling) I have 3 littles and that is the only way I travel. I have used our stroller maybe 4 times its just to much of a hassel for getting it in and out. I have to hold my two olders hands so wearing the baby is the only way to do it all. Our bucket carseat never leaves the car.

EmilytheStrange 04-16-2012 06:54 PM

I recommend a sling or other baby carrier :)

if you don't have one, then I'd put the packages in a bag and carry the baby in the carrier. Or take a stroller inside.

My LO was born just a couple months before Christmas and hubby deployed, I got very creative about how to take packages to the post office with her in tow. The easiest was definitely the baby sling or front carrier. If you don't have one yet - I highly recommend one. I had to stick her in the moby wrap just to pee sometimes :)

NikiG 04-16-2012 06:55 PM

I third the carrier. Right now I carry my 6 week old in a wrap, but I'll be getting some more types of carriers (ring sling, mei tai, ergo...) it's so much faster and easier than the stroller!

moonlightblonde 04-16-2012 07:00 PM

another that would recommend a carrier or put the car seat in a stroller. Good luck!

keen1981 04-16-2012 07:00 PM

Eh, moby and two packages. But honestly? If it were me. Car seat. Carry one package at a time. Do self serve machine. It's take me, Max-10 minutes. Lol

kangasox 04-16-2012 07:03 PM

Moby or something here too. I took the seat/carrier everywhere with my first and ended up with shoulder issues! My second I wore a lot and like others said, she was always so content. We're having a third and I think we might skip the infant snap-in seat this time because I so preferred wearing baby and the seat is so bulky and heavy.