Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Vitamin D for babies? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459781)

PurpleDaffodil 11-01-2012 10:11 PM

Vitamin D for babies?

My doctor told me all babies need extra vitamin D and specifically breastfed babies do. At the pharmacy they simply gave us a liquid multivitamin and Lo refuses to take it, he gags and spits up and cries. I stopped giving it to him and asked a few friends of mine. None of them have been told this and all of them breastfeed (one even has a preemie).

Is it that big of a deal that I don't give it to him? Surely it can't be that important if 5 other friends doctors never told them anything.

essential1892 11-01-2012 10:25 PM

Re: Vitamin D for babies?

My doctor recommended it for all 3 of my kids but honestly, I didn't keep up on giving it to them.

AniMommy 11-02-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleDaffodil
My doctor told me all babies need extra vitamin D and specifically breastfed babies do. At the pharmacy they simply gave us a liquid multivitamin and Lo refuses to take it, he gags and spits up and cries. I stopped giving it to him and asked a few friends of mine. None of them have been told this and all of them breastfeed (one even has a preemie).

Is it that big of a deal that I don't give it to him? Surely it can't be that important if 5 other friends doctors never told them anything.

My LO was rx'ed vit d drops. We've been doing them for 2 yrs and she gets reg milk now. She loves them. I tasted it - kind of peach syrup. I don't know if they're rx only in OR or if the OTC kind are different.

I think it's a newer recommendation.

I was told they're beneficial for long term bone growth/calcium depositing. That being said I forget to give them to her all the time and she is certainly growing and hasn't shown signs of rickets :)

Gardyloo 11-02-2012 03:12 AM

The one I've used is just a single drop of liquid. I would put it on my nipple before feeding. But if you'd rather not do the supplement, I think you can just expose LO to a certain amount of sun each day. I can't remember exactly how much, maybe only like 10 minutes a day, IIRC. I'd have to look it up.

neuro_mom 11-02-2012 05:01 AM

There's a difference between the Enfamil multivitamin drops and Vitamin D drops in taste. The multivitamin drops taste gross - my lo gagged on them too. He likes the Enfamil Vitamin D drops or the Vitamin A,C& D combo (also by Enfamil). In fact, he opens his mouth when I tell him it's time for his vitamin :)

raisingcropsandbabies 11-02-2012 05:14 AM

I also give my babies and kids 1 drop of Vitamin D Drops. Under a certain age, it's one drop and over that age it's 2 drops. I do it in the winter though when they are not outside as much.

If your baby doesn't even want the 1 droplet, is there something you can eat in your diet that increases Vit D in your milk?

jellybelly37 11-02-2012 06:31 AM

Nope. You don't need it. Just make sure they are getting sunlight most days. If you live in a climate where they are constantly bundled up or raining for months, then yes I would do it.

kushie tushie 11-02-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeebee
Nope. You don't need it. Just make sure they are getting sunlight most days. If you live in a climate where they are constantly bundled up or raining for months, then yes I would do it.

I agree with this.
My ped actually told us that the Poly-vi-sol that is recommended by some is total poison.

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

mibarra 11-02-2012 09:38 AM

It is a new recommendation. It wasn't out yet when DD1 was born (she's 3), but was recommended for DD2 (22 months). My ped told me it was based on studies showing lower rates of forearm fractures in children and toddlers who had been receiving the supplement. These threads always turn into a debate about whether or nit we get enough vitamin D.

If you do want to do it, don't use the multivitamin, it tastes gross. We used the D-Vi-Sol instead of Poli-Vi-Sol, I could get it over the counter at Walmart. The D one tastes sweet and DD2 loved it. :)

tmwmommy 11-02-2012 09:41 AM

I was given a prescription for them with dd (age 4) but never used it. However, I've heard good things about Carlson drops which are colorless and tasteless. I am not sure if I will give them with this next baby or not. I don't think I will in the summer but not sure about the rest of the yr.