Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   To store or not to store (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47614)

babiesabove 10-03-2006 09:15 AM

To store or not to store

I have 7 or 8 panda pants fitteds and aios that we have outgrown. These are one of my 3 favorite brands of diapers. And oh so hard to come by. I really want these for the next babe. But we aren't even thinking about ttc yet. I just had the elastic go bad in some FCBs I was storing. I brought them out of storage, they looked fine, but I washed them 2 or 3 times and now the elastic is dead.

Is it worth trying to store my PPs or do I sell them? I'm looking for the unselfish answer. I'm sure some of you would love to see them show up on FSOT. ;)

upstategirl 10-03-2006 09:35 AM

Re: To store or not to store

I save some and I sell some. If I don't think they would sell or if the diaper is a one size I won't sell it. Also if it's a really nice diaper I won't sell it. Like I a have a FCB cover with a celtic design on back and I won't sell that til after I'm done having babies. lol If it a diaper that is hard to come by then I think I would save it. That's odd the elastic went bad. I suppose trying to save it in a space bad might work. I just have mine in a bag that a blanket came in. It's plastic but, you can zip it up.

curious_george 10-03-2006 10:32 AM

Like the pp said. I'm just going through all of H's dipes as well with the same question... sell or store??? My vote is for sell unless you are really sure you love them and you are pretty sure you'll have another within two years or so.

havanadaydreamin 10-03-2006 10:34 AM

I'm thinking that I might just keep my wool and prefolds and sell everything else. I don't know when or even if we might have another child.

babiesabove 10-03-2006 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstategirl (Post 337914)
That's odd the elastic went bad. .

Sadly, I think it's more common than not. There are lots of stories about this. The worst is the elastic is fine until you wash it. So people look at their stored dipes and say it hasn't happened to me, but then they wash them only to be disappointed.

Prettylocks 10-03-2006 10:40 AM

Where did you store the ones that lost their elastic? Just wondering if it had to do with heat or what.

babiesabove 10-03-2006 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cristina (Post 338128)
Where did you store the ones that lost their elastic? Just wondering if it had to do with heat or what.

They were in a dresser drawer in my dd's room. We keep our house about 72 degrees. They were only stored for about 6 months. I paid $100 or so for each of these. I've only washed one of them so far. I'm afraid to wash the others:cry:

ocfb16 10-03-2006 11:18 AM

With there being such a high chance of the elastic ruining (I know it's extremely common) I would sell them. I mean if you held on to them your taking a chance and if the elastic ruins then you have lost that money. But if you sell them and get the money out of them, you can put that towards getting you some more when you do have another child.

babiesabove 10-03-2006 11:32 AM

Does anyone know what it is that makes the elastic go bad? Oh I wish I could afford to pay a scientist to figure it out.

mommabug42006 10-03-2006 12:17 PM

Elestic gets dry rot like your tires if you leave your car sit for long periods of time. It is caused by air, humidity and just sitting there month after month they are not washed stretched ect ect.