Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   North Carolina Mommas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359057)

omgoodgravy 02-26-2012 04:01 PM

North Carolina Mommas
 
Where do you think is the best place to live in NC? regarding schools and safe communities?

DH and I decided we need to move and do something new. I teach so hopefully I can find a teaching position and DH is a restaurant manager. I just want a nice friendly place that is safe for my kids to play outside.

Thanks

holly6737 02-26-2012 04:07 PM

Re: North Carolina Mommas
 
We loved Cary. I'd love to move back there one day. *sigh*

jc12551 02-26-2012 09:31 PM

Re: North Carolina Mommas
 
I am from the S. Mtns and it is great if you like rural living. I would go back there in a heartbeat. I would NOT move to the coast. I taught there for five years and there was a lot of gang-bangers--town of 5k and shooting at night. Plus the rents are very high and the area is economically depressed. Not everywhere, but many, many places. I lived outside of Greensboro and loved it. But I haven't been back since 2005.

kattayanna_mom 02-26-2012 09:39 PM

Re: North Carolina Mommas
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc12551 (Post 14716204)
I am from the S. Mtns and it is great if you like rural living. I would go back there in a heartbeat. I would NOT move to the coast. I taught there for five years and there was a lot of gang-bangers--town of 5k and shooting at night. Plus the rents are very high and the area is economically depressed. Not everywhere, but many, many places. I lived outside of Greensboro and loved it. But I haven't been back since 2005.

what part of the Coast?
We are in Jacksonville NC and it's nice here big Military town ,good schools and not many "gang bangers and shootings"

AnimalHouse 02-26-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc12551
I am from the S. Mtns and it is great if you like rural living. I would go back there in a heartbeat. I would NOT move to the coast. I taught there for five years and there was a lot of gang-bangers--town of 5k and shooting at night. Plus the rents are very high and the area is economically depressed. Not everywhere, but many, many places. I lived outside of Greensboro and loved it. But I haven't been back since 2005.

The S. Mtn area is the best! I've lived in Maggie Valley, Cherokee, Waynesville, Lake Junaluska, Kernersville (between G'boro and WS), and Canton. All those places were great, but Maggie Valley will always be my favorite!

kattayanna_mom 02-26-2012 09:59 PM

Re: North Carolina Mommas
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalHouse (Post 14716294)
The S. Mtn area is the best! I've lived in Maggie Valley, Cherokee, Waynesville, Lake Junaluska, Kernersville (between G'boro and WS), and Canton. All those places were great, but Maggie Valley will always be my favorite!

I love that area. I'm from Shelby NC. between Asheville and Charlotte.

tiffybear01 02-26-2012 10:26 PM

We live in Holly Ridge. 5 mins from surf city and 30 mins north of Wilmington. If I could choose, I would live either outside of Asheville or in the Raleigh/Cary area. I like where I live now, for the most part, but they are starting to build it up, summer is terrible because of tourists and the public schools are not desirable.

sere 02-26-2012 10:34 PM

We live near Jacksonville (on the coast) and it blows. DH and I are from the Chicago suburbs and the prices of things continue to astound me. Gas and food are more expensive here for one. Rents are absurd, presumably to make up for frequent short tenancies with all the military personnel moving through town. The area is culturally desolate. The only positive I can think of is the beach!

napua 02-27-2012 12:01 AM

I lived in Fayetteville for 8 years and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. That said, I LOVE NC! I'd either move to Wilmington or Asheville.

Sha-nanagins 02-27-2012 07:49 AM

Re: North Carolina Mommas
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by holly6737 (Post 14714686)
We loved Cary. I'd love to move back there one day. *sigh*

Yep. Cary is nice - cost of living isn't the greatest, but, for the area, it's good. Holly Springs is another community in the same vicinity, and the cost of living is just a little better. Either way, you have great access to Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill without having to actually live there.

Looks like there are lots of votes for the mountains, but if you don't like a lot of unpredictable weather in the winter and don't just love the mountains, I wouldn't recommend it.

Teaching positions are a little hard to come by in NC right now, though, so you might want to look into the availability of jobs before committing to move.

jc12551 02-27-2012 07:56 AM

Re: North Carolina Mommas
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom (Post 14716237)
what part of the Coast?
We are in Jacksonville NC and it's nice here big Military town ,good schools and not many "gang bangers and shootings"

NE Coast near OBX. Notice I didn't say "all" of the coast. I still wouldn't live in Jacksonville. Many family members have come and gone through there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalHouse (Post 14716294)
The S. Mtn area is the best! I've lived in Maggie Valley, Cherokee, Waynesville, Lake Junaluska, Kernersville (between G'boro and WS), and Canton. All those places were great, but Maggie Valley will always be my favorite!

I grew up in Franklin and have lived in Clyde, Sylva, and Asheville. I love it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sha-nanagins (Post 14717299)
Yep. Cary is nice - cost of living isn't the greatest, but, for the area, it's good. Holly Springs is another community in the same vicinity, and the cost of living is just a little better. Either way, you have great access to Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill without having to actually live there.

Looks like there are lots of votes for the mountains, but if you don't like a lot of unpredictable weather in the winter and don't just love the mountains, I wouldn't recommend it.

Teaching positions are a little hard to come by in NC right now, though, so you might want to look into the availability of jobs before committing to move.

This is something to consider!

kattayanna_mom 02-27-2012 08:11 AM

Re: North Carolina Mommas
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc12551 (Post 14717322)
NE Coast near OBX. Notice I didn't say "all" of the coast. I still wouldn't live in Jacksonville. Many family members have come and gone through there.


okay.:thumbsup:

burnsis 02-27-2012 08:15 AM

Re: North Carolina Mommas
 
I've been in NC for a few years now, and my fav is Asheville:D If I had to retire in NC, that is where I'd be:)

Solomon's Mama 02-27-2012 11:41 AM

Re: North Carolina Mommas
 
I grew up in Charlotte. Its a great place to live, but if, (WHEN, God willing!) we move back, I want to live either in the Maggie Valley area or head into SC. My mom and I dream about buying an old plantation in the country in SC to fix up and start a self sustainable farm. :) My sister lives in Mooresville, which is about 20 minutes north of Charlotte. Its a really nice area but growing all the time so pretty crowded.

RedheadMom09 02-27-2012 12:06 PM

Re: North Carolina Mommas
 
We live about 30 minutes from Cary and that would be my favorite place, hands down. I'm constantly driving up there to shop & run errands. We live in a middle of nowhere rural area right now, so Cary is like heaven to me.

If you want somewhere less built up and with a slower way of life, I have family in Morganton & Hickory and it is beautiful there.

Personally, I prefer a faster pace so if I had my choice of where to live in NC, my top 3 choices would be Cary, Asheville and Charlotte.

AnimalHouse 02-27-2012 12:27 PM

Re: North Carolina Mommas
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom (Post 14716237)
what part of the Coast?
We are in Jacksonville NC and it's nice here big Military town ,good schools and not many "gang bangers and shootings"

DH lived in Jacksonville for a couple years, and it wasn't too bad. I only visited, but I loved the beach! The only thing I didn't like were all the barrack bunnies in town :giggle:.

maddys_mama 02-27-2012 12:29 PM

I'd move to Greensboro in a heartbeat. Love that area! We lived in Jacksonville for 3 years and couldn't wait to leave. The only place near there I might consider moving to is Wilmington.

jc12551 02-27-2012 06:14 PM

Re: North Carolina Mommas
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by burnsis (Post 14717413)
I've been in NC for a few years now, and my fav is Asheville:D If I had to retire in NC, that is where I'd be:)

That is what everyone wants to do and why property values exploded and forced locals out. Not that I blame all the retirees...it is the best place in the world :lostit: During college I worked in Highlands. People would drive up on the weekends from Atlanta during the summer and fall to escape the heat. It never got above 85 there; and we thought we were going to die of heat at that temperature :blush:

I would move back there in a heartbeat. Three times we have looked for jobs there but couldn't find any. Every other school system in the state was :drif: over a science teacher with my credentials. Schools in the S. Mtns. didn't even have openings because nobody leaves! My high school teachers (that haven't retired) are all still working at that same school.

The mtns might not be the best place to find jobs in either of your industries. Greensboro is great--lots of things to do but the traffic is not terrible like Raleigh or Charlotte. I have friends in Raleigh that love, love, love it, but I couldn't live there.

tusheez 02-27-2012 06:46 PM

Re: North Carolina Mommas
 
:goodvibes: Wilmington :thumbsup: Its a nice and safe place to raise kids! The beaches are beautiful! Charlotte is nice too!

Shortiesmom 05-26-2012 03:38 PM

Re: North Carolina Mommas
 
I know that here in Hickory they have been hiring a lot of teachers lately and there are plenty of resturants with more being built at the time. Pretty good schools, good places to live for the money, and not to big not to small. I have lived other places outside of NC but I'm back here bc it's good to raise a family here.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors