Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Best 1st kids novel/chapter book to read aloud (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1553640)

penguinande 10-26-2013 12:23 AM

Best 1st kids novel/chapter book to read aloud

DD is 3.5 and I'm thinking about trying to start reading a chapter book to her. I remember that my mom read the Phantom Tollbooth to me when I was little (no idea what age I was though), and I loved it. I'm thinking about reading that one to her, but I know that some of it will be over her head. Does anyone have any suggestions for a great kid's book? Also, did you read chapter books to your kids at this age, and if so how did it go?

luvsviola 10-26-2013 01:06 AM

Re: Best 1st kids novel/chapter book to read aloud

We started the Boxcar Children with DD when she was 4, but she couldn't remember from day to day what happened. We spent more time talking about what happened the night before than we did reading. She didn't really start to remember til kindy.

Now she likes Magic Treehouse best.

MDever 10-26-2013 05:09 AM

We start reading chapter books at bedtime between 18 months and 2 years. I find that it is more peaceful and relaxed than looking at pictures and flipping pages. I usually read on a device or with a book light and we snuggle. Poppy is my current LO being read to and she is nearing 3yo. We have read a LOT of books in the past 2 years. I can't remember all of them but most recently we have read The Wizard of Oz, Secret Garden, Narnia series, Hitty, Alligator and his Uncle Tooth, Little House series (first few books), Caddy Woodlawn, Anne of Green Gables, and more. It always surprizes me how much she recalls from what we read. We are reading the Oz series on the Kindle right now and we really like it. It is pretty much nothing like the movie :chuckle: I was scared to death of that witch when I was little.

teacherpippi 10-26-2013 05:15 AM

My Father's Dragon
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle
Pippi Longstocking

kts1120 10-26-2013 06:11 AM

The Ramona books by Beverly Cleary

TeachinAuntie 10-26-2013 06:46 AM

My 4 yo son loves The Magic Treehouse books. We've read to him at bedtime for most of his life & as a former teacher, reading comprehension has always been on my mind.

He has GREAT listening comprehension & remembers and interacts with the stories from night to night. My husband reads to him and they read several chapters of MTH books each night.

MDever 10-26-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeebee (Post 17013661)
Faraway tree series.

These look awesome! Thank you for sharing them.

penguinande 10-26-2013 08:56 AM

Great suggestions! Thanks!

jam's mum 10-26-2013 11:07 AM

Mary Poppins! The real one, by P.L. Travers.

Winnie the Pooh - the real one, by A.A. Milne.

101 Dalmations - the real one ;) by Dodie Smith.

(I absolutely loathe Disney for what they did to these three books!)

my5sons 10-26-2013 01:16 PM

Anything Beverly Cleary is awesome! I love the Ramona books...I also was going to suggest Henry Huggins...and how about The Mouse and the Motorcycle series? Those were some of my favorites when I was younger. I saw someone else mentioned the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books and I would definitely give those a thumbs up too :-)