Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Feb (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Who Has Started Their Stash? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1403785)

amandabarugh 06-06-2012 09:07 PM

Who Has Started Their Stash?

Anyone? I sold nearly all of my newbie stash after my youngest was born, thinking that I wouldn't have another. I did start rebuilding it last December, though.

I have 18 XS Elbees, 6 NB GMs, 3 NB Mutts, and about 6 organic newbie prefolds.

Anyone else?

Ainmemphis 06-06-2012 10:00 PM

Re: Who Has Started Their Stash?

I didn't start with DS until he was about 6 months old so i have some newborn learning to do! I lent out all my prefolds and covers and have about 27 BG AIO that I need to replace elastic on in order to fit a smaller body.

brookglen 06-06-2012 10:34 PM

So, I don't cloth diaper (gasp!). But I'm kind of curious this go around. I guess I just don't get it, aren't you doing laundry all day long? What do you do with the waste, and what about when you're out and about, do you just walk around with a soiled diaper? Isn't it a ton more work?

Also don't you find it hilarious that someone has belonged to a cloth diapering forum for two years and doesnt know the answer to these questions?

jackobeano 06-06-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookglen (Post 15209743)
So, I don't cloth diaper (gasp!). But I'm kind of curious this go around. I guess I just don't get it, aren't you doing laundry all day long? What do you do with the waste, and what about when you're out and about, do you just walk around with a soiled diaper? Isn't it a ton more work?

Also don't you find it hilarious that someone has belonged to a cloth diapering forum for two years and doesnt know the answer to these questions?

I do diaper laundry every 2-3 days so not all day :giggle: Diaper spayers are a must have IMO for cloth diapering (it's like a small shower head that attaches to your toilet and you just spray off the waste). When I'm out and about I use a wet bag (they really do keep the smell in) to put the wet/soiled diapers in and either toss them in our hanging wet bag when we get home if they are just wet or spray off the soiled ones and then throw them in. It really isn't that much more work especially when you get use to it and it becomes a routine. My sister is newly converted to cloth diapers and she use to say all the time how isn't it so much more work and how she could never do it (now she says it's not much more work either).

I do find it pretty funny you have been here this long and haven't dove into the cloth diaper world :giggle2:

You should really give it a try, now that I do it I would never go back and actually really enjoy it! I will warn it can be addictive :giggle:

weesej 06-07-2012 05:51 AM

I promised DH I wouldn't buy any NB diapers! I'm going to sew them LOL!!! I am telling myself I will allow time to sew 1 diaper a week. that should stretch out the fun!

Mamma527 06-07-2012 08:21 AM

I'm waiting to find out if it's a boy or girl. If its a boy we are covered. If its a girl I've got some shopping to do!

allinmyhead 06-07-2012 08:23 AM

I have a few things. I still have quite a few goodmamas from DS that I have gone through. I'm keeping most of those. I have a stack of random stuff at my parents' house as well and I'm hoping my mom will bring those this weekend when the come up to visit. Flats, pockets, etc. I have a feeling I will be seriously destashing that pile.

I have bought a handfull of newborn fitteds and some prefolds, but my main stash building will be for some new pockets (I was wildly unsuccessful with pockets last time) and covers/wool.

JennTheMomma 06-07-2012 08:52 AM

I told DH that once I got pregnant I was going to grab the diapers I like every time they came on a half off site. And wouldn't you know that there has been a lot so far? I just got some more Grovia OS this week and last week, I have NB Grovia coming today or tomorrow, got some rainbow PUL covers from Hyena cart that should be here soon. And tomorrow a natural baby store is having a yard sale and they said they were going to have diapers! Super excited. I really only need NB ones and a few OS because I still have plenty from ds2, but I figure if they're going to be cheap, why not?

Quote:

I've been CDing for 2 kids now and have yet had to do laundry constantly :) If you have a decent amount of CDs then you can do laundry every few days. I do laundry twice a week, and that is with 2 boys and one still in CDs (but mostly at night and when we're out). With poop you put it in the toilet and flush it. You're actually suppose to do that with disposable diapers too, but many don't. CDing is just as easy when out as using a diposable. When you're out you have a wetbag (all CD companies make one as well as tons of Etsy sellers). You change baby like you normally would, but instead of throwing a diaper in the trash you just put it in your wetbag. The bag is designed for no leaking, and I've never had a bag leak. Then when I wash diapers from a wetbag I just open up the drawstring and put the whole bag in the wash, the cycles of the wash will make the diapers fall out. Or you can just dump the diapers in.

Saruh 06-07-2012 10:04 AM

EEK! Part of me feels it's a little taboo to buy newborn diapers this early...but my OCD about being prepared kicks in. I have 20 DSQ Infant prefolds that we used with DD, and our regular stash of GroVias and BGs 4.0.

I have 2 newborn GroVias coming tomorrow, but I want to buy 24 Ones & Twos AIOs and newborn fitteds to use with wool. Plus yarn for longies. Coastal Sunset if anyone here knows of a place to find some!

Katiesara 06-07-2012 10:47 AM

I haven't got anything yet. I'll probably order yarn pretty soon so I can get started knitting. As far as diapers, I don't even know what I want. I love fitteds on my dfs, but that seems awfully expensive for the newborn time. I guess I need to go back to practicing with prefolds to see if I can learn to keep them from falling off.

amandabarugh 06-07-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

No, I do not do laundry all day. I do diaper laundry like every 2-3 days. In the newbie period, if you're exclusively breastfeeding, you can just toss everything in your washing machine. It'll rinse away quite easily. Otherwise, I keep my peri bottles from the birth, and I use those in place of a diaper sprayer to rinse the poop in the toilet. When I'm out, I change my kid like I normally would. I just put the diapers in our wet bag to go home to wash, instead of tossing it. It's really not a ton more work, and even buying the most expensive brands, we've saved money over the years by buying used and not constantly overhauling our stash. Our diapers get used until they fall apart, basically. ETA: We also never have to worry about having to run to the store to get diapers. We have a big enough stash that there is always a clean one.

linzerin 06-07-2012 09:22 PM

This is my first baby and I started researching cloth last week and I'm already hooked!!! I see so many benefits (coming from a labor and delivery nurse that has changed A LOT of pampers!).

For the veterans in the group, did you meet any resistance from DH or family members? I mentioned it to DH last week and he thinks I'm crazy. Any tips on convincing non-believers in your life?

As for my stash, just bought my first used diapers on here yesterday, 7 NB GroVias (hoping the AIOs will help convince DH). Can't wait for them to arrive!!!

amandabarugh 06-07-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linzerin (Post 15214748)
This is my first baby and I started researching cloth last week and I'm already hooked!!! I see so many benefits (coming from a labor and delivery nurse that has changed A LOT of pampers!).

For the veterans in the group, did you meet any resistance from DH or family members? I mentioned it to DH last week and he thinks I'm crazy. Any tips on convincing non-believers in your life?

As for my stash, just bought my first used diapers on here yesterday, 7 NB GroVias (hoping the AIOs will help convince DH). Can't wait for them to arrive!!!

Saving $1000s of dollars convinced my husband. LOL.

DMichelleV 06-07-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandabarugh

Saving $1000s of dollars convinced my husband. LOL.

Same here! This is our first child as well. I just showed him how much he would save and he jumped on board within minutes! Lol

kaylabelle05 06-07-2012 10:16 PM

I already have a small stash saved from DS & DD and I want to make sure that I am staying in the group before I start buying. I figure I will be safe by 9 weeks.

Ainmemphis 06-08-2012 07:47 AM

I'd be looking for more, but I promised DH I wouldn't buy anything for this baby because I did such a good job convincing him that if we had another baby we wouldn't have to buy anything. I guess I will be putting a lot of my Christmas list this year!

You Tell 'Em 06-08-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

With DD#2 I CDed from birth and MIL had bought Pampers (the new kind when they first switched and had all the chemical burning issues) even though she knew I was going to CD. Needless to say, those diapers got donated :giggle: Hubby said he was against CDing, even though we CDed DD#1 from about 6-18 months so DD#2 is a little over 18 months old and he has never changed her diaper or washed them (which washing isn't a big deal). This next one will be CDed from birth and I don't expect him to do any diapers... although maybe he'll decided to help out since we will have 2 in diapers most likely... a girl can hope right? ;)

As for the rest of family, some have (DH's side) said I was "crazy" and how "I couldn't do that" but my side knows to just keep their mouths shut, they know it's not their child so they don't have a say. My grandma will and has changed my DD's CDs with no issues nor has any other family member. I think the biggest thing I said when DD#2 was a newbie was about all the chemical burns babies were getting from the disposables, they changed their tune pretty fast. But then again, with DD#2 I home birthed so I was "hippie" enough for them to not question the cloth. (sorry for the long response)

allinmyhead 06-08-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

My ex was totally against it with DS, but he changed maybe three diapers when he was around. He didn't get a vote:lostit:

abhernandez 06-08-2012 07:19 PM

I refuse to confess this early.

lisha622 06-09-2012 07:50 AM

We used xs FB exclusively during the newborn stage with DD. I really love the classic ones- the ones with 2 rows of snaps. I don't like the newer ones with one row of snaps. They leaked too much which was a bummer because they were so pretty and cute. Anyways, I sold those and kept my 19 classic white xs FB. I bought some alva newborn diapers the other month... couldn't resist since they were so cheap. I'm a pocket girl so I use all pockets. I have plenty of one size diapers that will last for another babe (I use bumgenius and sunbaby almost exclusively)... unless there's multiples of course.

808mamaof3 06-09-2012 09:22 PM

I kinda started my newbie stash before even TTC :blush:

So far I have:
4 xs fuzzibunz
2 nb sticky peas
2 xs elbees
2 s elbees
1 elbee wrap
24 infant etp
6 nb peanut butter and ellie prefolds
1 nb prowrap.

I've just been buying when I see a good deal. Some diapers are gender specific (sticky peas/elbees) so if its a boy, I'll destash those.

I'm thinking a few nb alvas, 2 loveybum wraps and another pul cover and I'll be complete...although thats not including what I'll knit :giggle:

peaches330 06-10-2012 03:46 PM

I have a couple dozen newborn prefolds that I never got rid of sitting around (those won't fit until 2-3 months on my babies though) and if my DS2 PTs by then I will have his stash of OS pockets (if it's a boy that is, they're all blue and green so I would probably buy different if it were a girl :giggle:) but I think I'll wait for everything else. I use sposies for the first couple weeks because my babies are always so tiny but I may buy a little stash of some cheap fitteds for after that. Maybe keep my eyes peeled for some good deals on GN KL0s. I'm more worried about building my carrier stash again. I got rid of everything because I wasn't planning on having anymore so I am starting from scratch there.

Saruh 06-11-2012 01:07 PM

Todays fluffy mail consisted of 1 Albert BG newborn (OMG!!) and 2 GroVia newborns. Can I just say that I feel like a little girl again wanting to play house and put the tiny diapers on my DD babydolls? HaHa! I wish I would have used AIO dipes instead of PFs with DD because they are so stinking cute!

allinmyhead 06-11-2012 01:42 PM

Today I will have a pack of prefolds, small scrappy soaker and a Calypso Skirtie (I figure I can sell it if jellybean is blueberry flavored). DH just rolls his eyes at me.

newtocloth2 06-11-2012 02:02 PM

I started building a newborn stash when we started ttc. (I started using cloth diapers when my second lo was 15 months, so I've never used cloth in the newbie stage.) I have maybe 15-18 newborn/small diapers (fitteds, covers, and AIOs). I also just bought some small flats, I want to try them on my toddler first to see if I even like flats.

MommyMeads 06-11-2012 02:03 PM

I have some diapers that I kept from DS. He was our third and suppose to be the last but I just couldn't get rid of some of his diapers. So I have about 6 fitted diapers and 3 covers. All the covers are boy colors though so if we end up with a girl then I will be ISO some girly colors. I want to try and make some fitted diapers for this baby because I really love fitted diapers on newborns but I don't want all GN ones. I guess that is what cute covers are for though.

MommyMeads 06-15-2012 03:11 PM

I started sewing some newborn diapers. A little early? Maybe. But I want to have enough time to do it : )

lolson3 06-15-2012 05:53 PM

I'm not sure I'll buy any newborn diapers, and if I do I will want them to be gender specific, so I will be waiting quite a while. With dd3 I was worried about having a tiny baby and her never fitting into os diapers (I had to get many extra u/s b/c she always measured way behind, and I always measured way behind, too) so I bought 18 bgaio xs, 2 size 1 thirsties dous covers, preemie prefolds, and made some newborn fitteds and wool covers. So, she was born and was 8 lbs. She outgrew the absorbency in bgaio xs in less than a week, even with changing every 2 hrs. When I added a doubler, they barely aplixed on. I tried using bgos at 1 week, and although they seemed a little big, they fit with no leaks. I don't regret buying any of them because I bought when things were good prices and sold them and even made money on the bg aio xs. I used the duos occasionally for 4-6 months because they still fit, and never really used the fitteds or wool. Of course, I have never used fitteds or wool.
I still have a full stash of os pockets, but now I mostly use hemp/bamboo inserts laid in a cover, which I think will be super trim on a newbie. I am keeping my ears open for news about the new nb alva baby pockets, but given that I think my lo will fit in os within 2 weeks, I just don't think that it is worth it. Also, my lo's tend to have very sensitive skin for the first week and need heavy duty diaper cream to keep their bums clear, so I wouldn't mind using sposies for a week while I am getting used to 4 kids :blush: Of course, if I'm having twins that is another story . . .
If we have another girl then I have a great stash of os diaper from dd#3 who will probably be mostly pl'ed, but if this is a boy then I might have to (get to) buy 8-10 new covers.

allinmyhead 06-15-2012 06:28 PM

I put flips and thirsties on my Amazon baby registry:blush: Oh, and prefolds. Heh.

calleiah 06-15-2012 07:23 PM

I just joined an Alva baby newborn custom co-op and got 2 dozen. Plus I've got a dozen KS0's and some Proraps. That should get me through the newbie phase till I can use my regular stash.
I probably shouldnt have spend the money this soon... but who knows when I'll get another opportunity like that.

808mamaof3 06-15-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calleiah
I just joined an Alva baby newborn custom co-op and got 2 dozen. Plus I've got a dozen KS0's and some Proraps. That should get me through the newbie phase till I can use my regular stash.
I probably shouldnt have spend the money this soon... but who knows when I'll get another opportunity like that.

I just ordered 6 newborn alvas on Facebook too and some custom double gusset OS.

mandymatus 06-16-2012 05:38 PM

well i have 3 dozen infant prefolds and about 6-7 covers...(if i have a boy i might buy more that aren't pink or purple) for fun i might buy some other diapers...especially since my my local store started selling used diapers.

considered converting a few used prefolds i bought before i found out i was preg to make burp cloths into fitted for fun.

i don't typically use cloth for first week or two....i will have 2 in dipes possibly 3....

MommyMeads 06-18-2012 09:21 AM

I made a "little joey" looking diaper yesterday. So cute. My kids don't know so yet so they keep asking why I am making diapers for baby dolls. I also ordered a few tiny g diapers. I don't know if I will use them I just think they look so cute on a baby and want some pictures of the baby in them.

MamaNae 06-18-2012 10:00 AM

I have quite a few prefolds left over from DS2...I have a ton of one size sunbabies...idk if they'll work on a newborn or not but at least we're okay once the baby hits 3-ish months. If this baby is a girl she'll have to wear skulls and frogs haha

You Tell 'Em 06-18-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyMeads (Post 15267115)
I made a "little joey" looking diaper yesterday. So cute. My kids don't know so yet so they keep asking why I am making diapers for baby dolls. I also ordered a few tiny g diapers. I don't know if I will use them I just think they look so cute on a baby and want some pictures of the baby in them.

:giggle: Same thing with my DD. Anything I've made or the one XS diaper that came in the mail the other week she was asking if it was for her doll.

rachaeljohnson 06-18-2012 11:08 AM

i have 24 thirsties xs ail from my first and second kid...so no reason to shop...lol...bummer :)

Truckerswife 06-18-2012 11:23 AM

this will be my 4th baby in 3 years so I still have all my diapers I have 2 dozen snap-ez preemie pockets because my last 2 were both 5 pounds when we came home with them I also have 3 dozen Snap-ez Small pockets my 8 month old is still using but my son was 7 pounds and the smalls fit him at 5 days old when we started cloth

My_Tree_Grows 06-19-2012 12:38 AM

I found I could have used a few more newborn nighttime fitteds last time, so I'm on the hunt...other than that, can't justify expanding my stash.

MommyMeads 06-19-2012 09:33 AM

Since DS was our last baby I only kept a few fitted newborn diapers for baby dolls (which is why the girls are so confused right now) I sold everything but our large and OS diapers. So I have some sewing or shopping to do since my babies are pretty small 5-6lbs and I don't usually use OS diapers until the Medium size.

laila 06-19-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katiesara
I haven't got anything yet. I'll probably order yarn pretty soon so I can get started knitting. As far as diapers, I don't even know what I want. I love fitteds on my dfs, but that seems awfully expensive for the newborn time. I guess I need to go back to practicing with prefolds to see if I can learn to keep them from falling off.

Jealous that you knit. We are wooly lovers here! As for diapers, I loved nb mutts and b4s last go round so I will be on the hunt for those. I have a few from last one that I saved, but will need many more. ;-)